2012 Chevy Impala

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere yet, but I see in the GM parts catalog (I work at a dealership) that the 2012 Impala will be sporting a 3.6 V6 and matching 6 speed transmission. Several other parts are new to go with this, but nothing earth shattering. No changes in appearance that I can tell other than a new choice in 16 inch aluminum wheels.

Plus a new grille and bumper, plus something in the rear, plus (oohhhh! ahhhhh! the excitement!!!1!!eleventy billion!!!!!1111!!) a wood trim package, IIRC from reading on the other GM fan website? :AH-HA:

Plus a new grille and bumper, plus something in the rear, plus (oohhhh! ahhhhh! the excitement!!!1!!eleventy billion!!!!!1111!!) a wood trim package, IIRC from reading on the other GM fan website? :AH-HA:

If the woodgrain is that much better I might switch out the woodgrain in my car for the new stuff.

Wow... 287hp (at a LOFTY 6800rpms and 258lb-ft at 4400) 3.6L DI V6 with the 6-speed auto. Wasn't expecting that high of an output. They got rid of the 2LT, leather only on the LTZ. LT gets 17" wheels, LTZ 18", and LS gets new aluminum 16".

2 new colors: Crystal Red Tintcoat, Black Granite Metallic

Bluetooth standard on all trims (packaged on Fleet Models)

That's all I see marked as "NEW"

According to the catalogs, fascias remain the same but sometimes they get updated in chunks. The Volt and Cruze were in the catalogs months before they hit the streets, but were incomplete. Sometimes lacking pictures, sometimes part numbers. I will keep an eye on it and update if anything changes.

Wow... 287hp (at a LOFTY 6800rpms and 258lb-ft at 4400) 3.6L DI V6 with the 6-speed auto. Wasn't expecting that high of an output. They got rid of the 2LT, leather only on the LTZ. LT gets 17" wheels, LTZ 18", and LS gets new aluminum 16".

2 new colors: Crystal Red Tintcoat, Black Granite Metallic

Bluetooth standard on all trims (packaged on Fleet Models)

That's all I see marked as "NEW"

Deletions

(80U) Red Jewel Tintcoat exterior color

(R6J) Additional 9 months of XM Radio service

(PCK) Luxury Edition Package (for 2012, would now order LTZ model)

(QB5) 16" steel wheels

(PY0) 16" 5-spoke cast styled aluminum wheels

(RS8) 17" fascia spoke wheels

Fog lamps on LT model

(LZE) 3.5L V6 engine

(LGD) 3.9L V6 engine

New Features

(LFX) 3.6L V6 DOHC SIDI engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and 6-speed automatic transmission

(FHS) E85 FlexFuel capable

New front grille and fog lamps

New rear end appearance with dual exhaust outlets standard on all trims

(GAR) Black Granite Metallic exterior color (extra cost)

(GBE) Crystal Red Tintcoat exterior color (extra cost, not available at start-up)

New interior woodgrain trim

(70*) Two-tone Neutral interior

New leather shift knob, standard on LT and LTZ models

(PDC) LS OnStar and Bluetooth Package (Fleet orders)

(PDV) LT Sunroof Package (Retail and Fleet orders)

(PDD) LT OnStar and Bluetooth Package (Fleet orders)

(RV5) new design 16" aluminum wheels

Changes

(RS7) replaces RPO code (PFH) for the 17" machined aluminum wheels

(RSX) replaces RPO code (NW2) for the 18" machined aluminum wheels

(MX0) Automatic transmission changed from 4-speed to 6-speed

Now standard on LS Retail: leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, Bluetooth for phone and floor mats

Now standard on LT Retail: Cloth flip-and-fold rear seat and rear spoiler

Yeah I'm going to miss them too.

There's actually a huge aftermarket for them;

They call the 3500 the indestructible motor on there.

Although over there they only really touch the non vvt (LX9) models.

You'd be surprised what these motors can handle!

Personally I see nothing wrong with a low output,high mileage motor that's rock solid reliable.

Now you either have a moderately powered 4 cylinder or a very high powered 6 cylinder. It seems that there is no middle ground.

Update:

After further research the "new" grilles for the LS are the same as the ones used in the 2006 SS model, part number and all. The LT grille appears to be similar but different part numbers. The fascias remain the same as 2011, part numbers don't change. The new wood inside changes from Walnut Burl to Maple, but I have no photos, only line drawings. The new 16" wheel is the same as was offered on the 2008-2010 Saturn Vue and Chevy Captiva. The V6 engine part numbers are new, but the transmission is shared with the Buick Lacrosse.

Update:

After further research the "new" grilles for the LS are the same as the ones used in the 2006 SS model, part number and all. The LT grille appears to be similar but different part numbers. The fascias remain the same as 2011, part numbers don't change. The new wood inside changes from Walnut Burl to Maple, but I have no photos, only line drawings. The new 16" wheel is the same as was offered on the 2008-2010 Saturn Vue and Chevy Captiva. The V6 engine part numbers are new, but the transmission is shared with the Buick Lacrosse.

Clearly a car produced and sold on the basis of marginal costing. With the tooling and engineering long paid for, production costs should be nothing more than the materials and labor costs. Maybe this should be the fleet-special Chevrolet Classic with a proper Impala offered for retail buyers, even though that might deprive fleet car users from sampling GM's latest offerings.

They should start calling it Chevrolet Classic and make it a fleet special by next year if they want to use the Impala name again. When it comes time to replace the W-body Impala, the nameplate will be in about the same position as "Cavalier" was in 2003. Unless they plan to let "Impala" soldier on a couple more years and rename the replacement car Caprice.

• 2 months later...

I just hope they would do a real performance-oriented Impala. Please have a real GM performance-oriented Impala Impala all true believers. I think that the next Impala should be 96 instead of the new Impala SS.

I just hope they would do a real performance-oriented Impala. Please have a real GM performance-oriented Impala Impala all true believers. I think that the next Impala should be 96 instead of the new Impala SS.

How about a Zeta-based RWD Impala, since GM is bringing the Caprice in as a police vehicle?

• Agree 2

They were right! That is a totally new rear end appearance! :confused0071:

Overall, I think the current Impala has a lot of merits, but I always prefer the rear end of the first-gen FWD Impala. It could not have been cornfused for anything other than a Chevrolet. This one is generica all the way, with no tie-in to anything.

They were right! That is a totally new rear end appearance! :confused0071:

Overall, I think the current Impala has a lot of merits, but I always prefer the rear end of the first-gen FWD Impala. It could not have been cornfused for anything other than a Chevrolet. This one is generica all the way, with no tie-in to anything.

There were no other cars like it for a reason much like the Aztek. Most companies would have fired their stylist. Even Lutz called it homely. The preset car was just cleaned up but was still never what Lutz wanted. But he had to work with what he had. The W bodies were all a wreck when he arrived and he details some of what he did to fix them. The GTP was called the bucky beaver by many insiders.

I knew one of the Impala brand managers and he told me some of the things they tired to fix but had little time and money. He was not even a fan.

In most cases a mother will accept a homely child but in this case it was not to be.

Edited by hyperv6

The exterior isn't terrible, it's the interior that needs the most work.

Exactly! The interior is identical to last year's model. A new engine and transmission alone does not a good MCE make. Interior improvements on this Impala, STAT!

Edited by riviera74

The interior is coming with the new car. The engine and tranny had to change as they killed off the Fred Flintsone drivetrain. If they were in production I would think they would not have changed them.

The Driveline was an easy fix as it will carry to the new car. For once GM did the driveline first and the new car second vs the new car first and the new engine a year or so later.

The Impala is not worth anymore investment than what is needed to keep it in production. The money is better sent to the new car and make it even better. The W has served it's company well after a bad start but it can leave soon with grace.

The exterior isn't terrible, it's the interior that needs the most work.

Exactly! The interior is identical to last year's model. A new engine and transmission alone does not a good MCE make. Interior improvements on this Impala, STAT!

That's a different wood-grain. That's all you're going to get.

A long-wheelbase MY 2013 Malibu is what the MY2014 Impala will be? That is rather lame. I mean, Impala will sell in its intended market, but why must anyone pay north of $35K for a real RWD GM car other than maybe a Camaro?

• 2 weeks later...

While looking at some newly delivered 2012's I noticed a few things. The middle rear head restraint is gone- 110% lame and a stupid safety thing to cheapen. The good- the shift knob is leather with stitching. You can have any exterior color you want as long as it's white, black, tan, silver or that horrid Victory red. Where in the world did all the exterior colors go? Blue, slate, green and crystal red aren't even being offered! I noticed this on the 12 Malibu also, a total lack of available colors. I thought the Japan crisis was over for the pigments supply issue.

While looking at some newly delivered 2012's I noticed a few things. The middle rear head restraint is gone- 110% lame and a stupid safety thing to cheapen. The good- the shift knob is leather with stitching. You can have any exterior color you want as long as it's white, black, tan, silver or that horrid Victory red. Where in the world did all the exterior colors go? Blue, slate, green and crystal red aren't even being offered! I noticed this on the 12 Malibu also, a total lack of available colors. I thought the Japan crisis was over for the pigments supply issue.

On the Impala, I doubt the lack of paint choices has anything to do with pigment supply from Japan.

On the Impala, I doubt the lack of paint choices has anything to do with pigment supply from Japan.

I'm going to have to agree. What disappoints me is that SO many people stick to the same white/black/silver/beige colors for almost all cars. Even my parents did that... a beige Sonata and a Sandstone Metallic Lucerne. My grandfather used to say, "Nessuno ruba una macchina grigia." (No one steals a gray car)... essentially alluding to how it blends in, it's boring, etc. People are boring today. Most want a boring car and a boring color.

Now, I'll prob end up making my next car CPO, but if I could swing it, I'd totally get a blue car. I am not a fan of the Midnight Blue Metallic that Buick offers because I feel if the car color is called "midnight" it should be very dark blue and it isn't. I loved the Majestic Blue Metallic offered on the Regal but that is gone this year and I thought the Slatestone Metallic on the last gen LaCrosse was nice too... was kind-of a medium blue-gray.

I'd like to see a newer version of Forest Green return.. my mom had a 92 LeSabre Limited in that color and it was gorgeous.

The good- the shift knob is leather with stitching.

I'm going to have to treat myself to one for the 07... It's the same shape and style as the original one, just leather so they are swappable. Time to hit the parts counter!

My dealer got a few in... Basically, if you couldn't already tell, it has the 'SS' fascias front and rear. Specifically, the rear now has the shapelier exhaust cutouts along with the chrome strip now being body color. The interior has a new two tone were everything is black, yet the seats are taupe. Also, the color of the mesh grill varies by trim... LTZ gets black, while the lesser trims make due with silver.