2012 Corvette Brings Along Some Interior Tweaks, Tires, and New Options

Corvette Performance Reaches Higher in 2012

post-10485-0-20739300-1304019939.png

2012 Chevrolet Centennial Edition Corvette Z06 Gallery

Interior enhancements, new performance packages highlight upgrades

2011-04-28

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced today that it will once again elevate Corvette’s performance capabilities with a series of improvements for the 2012 model year that improve on-track performance and on-road comfort. They include enhancements to the high-performance Z06 and ZR1 models as well as interior upgrades across the Corvette lineup.

Sports car fans will get their first look at the 2012 models – including the racing-inspired appearance of the Chevrolet Centennial Edition – at a special event this weekend at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. Production begins in July.

“We constantly strive to make the Corvette a better car on the road and the track,” says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief engineer. “For 2012, the Corvette lineup achieves its highest performance level ever, while at the same time being easier to drive and enjoy thanks to several changes and new features inside the car.”

New Michelin Cup ZP tires elevate Z06/ZR1 performance

Corvette’s greater performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase cornering and handling capability.

When combined with the Corvette’s exclusive Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tires are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance. Testing at Virginia International Raceway has demonstrated improvement of approximately three seconds per lap.

The Cup ZP tires were developed by the same Michelin engineers who develop tires for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series and are essentially street-legal versions of a racing tire. They are included in the optional Z07 performance package on the Corvette Z06 and a new PDE performance package on the ZR1. The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tires are matched with all-new aluminum Cup-style wheels in satin black or machined finishes. They are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the 20-spoke wheel offered in 2011.

Performance Traction Management (offered on the Z06 for the first time in 2012) is an advanced system that optimizes traction for greater and more consistent on-track performance. The system also integrates traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.

A full-width racing-style spoiler for improved aerodynamics is also included in both the ’12 Z07 and PDE packages. The Z06 model will now offer Magnetic Selective Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension technology – an innovation Corvette pioneered several years ago. And as before, Brembo carbon ceramic brakes will be a part of the Z07 chassis package (they are standard on ZR1). Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires remain standard on the ZR1.

A carbon fiber hood will be an available option on 2012 Z06 models, while the standard manual transmission for ZR1 will include taller gearing in fifth and sixth gears, for a 2-mpg improvement in highway fuel economy.

Interior and feature changes

All 2012 Corvette models will include a new seat design and a new steering wheel. The seats feature larger bolsters on the seat back and cushion areas, which provide better driver support, especially in high-performance driving while remaining comfortable for daily street driving. Microfiber suede seat inserts are optional and improve tactile feel, as well as add additional support.

The new seats are complemented by the revised steering wheel, featuring model-specific badges, streamlined switch trim and wrapped spokes. Padded center console and armrests for all models are now included for 2012. An additional visual touch inside the car is contrasting color stitching – in red, blue and yellow – which is available with the custom leather-wrapped interior.

Also coming in 2012 is a new Bose uplevel audio system, which includes nine speakers (compared to seven in 2011) for improved audio quality that is more precisely tuned to the cabin’s acoustics. New tweeters located in the instrument panel and improved Bose Nd next-generation bass performance is the main benefit that Corvette drivers will hear.

A new Technology Package (2LT trim level) brings together many of the Corvette’s popular infotainment features and makes them available for more models. The package’s equipment includes the navigation radio, head-up display, Bose premium audio system, Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity and a USB port.

Wrapping up the new features for 2012 is the availability for customers to select brake caliper colors, for more personalization of their Corvette. The calipers are offered in the red, yellow, silver or gray.

They were not going to do much to this car. The next one will get the interior we have been waiting for.

The Vette like any other car has has a budget and most of it has always gone into the suspension and drive line. Those areas are the most unforgiving in sports car. Not that GM can afford a better budget they can finally make a complete car vs the best with what they had to spend.

I still think it is a crime the ZR1 has the same wheel as my HHR SS. Same look, feel and size. Thy just added a different center with crossed flags. I mean how much would a Momo have been to add to the car? On the ZR1 they could have tacked it to the price and no one would know.

Why do we have to wait for the "next one", we didn't have to wait for the next Edge to get a vastly improved interior, for example.

I don't see how you can make this argument... maybe if you could replace "Edge" with "Viper" then you could...

The Corvette is a niche product that is basically in a class of it's own aside from the 911, but even still is much less expensive in terms of performance per $$.

And the Edge? It debuted way back as a 2006 model year vehicle, in one of the most competitive market segments. Of course it's going to get a new interior in it's 6th model year. It simply makes no sense for the Corvette to get an all new interior for a year or two when there's a brand new one coming out relatively soon.

Why do we have to wait for the "next one", we didn't have to wait for the next Edge to get a vastly improved interior, for example.

GM is only going to do trim upgrades in the Camaro and the Vette with the major work already started on the C7 and 6th Gen.

It would be a great waste of money to do a major overhaul on such short term cars. While the present interiors could be better they are so bad that they need major work. The improvment in the seats and steering will get them by till the new car is ready. Noe it is not that far off.

The fact is the Vette is a limited production 2 seat car and they are not going to sink a lot of money in a car that will only 40K-45K units at best till it is replacd. Remember last year the C6 I saw some where sold only just over 12,000 units.

Yes there is a lot of things they could and should do to the C6 but would just be more fiscally smart to invest it in the C7. To invest this in the C6 would make it hard to see a return on the investment.

Edge is in a much more hotly contested segment and needs to see production number much greater than the Vette. This makes it much easier to see the return on the investment.

I'll like to see the new seats... this, I believe they can fix without expensive changes to the car. The current Corvette seats are worst in class. Not only in their lack of support and generally poor ergonomics, but also in their flimsiness and el-cheapo appearance. I mean, I'll rather than the cloth seats in a base Honda Accord than a Corvette -- that's how bad.

GM is only going to do trim upgrades in the Camaro and the Vette with the major work already started on the C7 and 6th Gen.

It would be a great waste of money to do a major overhaul on such short term cars. While the present interiors could be better they are so bad that they need major work. The improvment in the seats and steering will get them by till the new car is ready. Noe it is not that far off.

2012 is the 8th model year of the C6...they could have at least given the interior an MCE a few years ago..a car at this price point should at least have it's own steering wheel...

I frankly don't understand the obsession behind the idea of the Corvette having it's own unique steering wheel. I'd be much more concerned with how good is the steering wheel, rather than how unique it is. If they can give it a wheel that's unique because it's designed more for a sports car (form following function), great, but different just because seems unnecessary to me.

I frankly don't understand the obsession behind the idea of the Corvette having it's own unique steering wheel. I'd be much more concerned with how good is the steering wheel, rather than how unique it is. If they can give it a wheel that's unique because it's designed more for a sports car (form following function), great, but different just because seems unnecessary to me.

A $50k-100k sports car shouldn't be sharing interior parts with $20k econoboxes. Typical GM cheapassing...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

A $50k-100k sports car shouldn't be sharing interior parts with $20k econoboxes.

Why? I can understand if GM were to design a steering wheel with an Aveo in mind (cheap, boring, etc) and then slap it in the Corvette, but if they develop a steering wheel that's worthy of the Corvette, why would they then design a crappier wheel for their other vehicles? IMO the ONLY reason to design more than one style of steering wheel is if it is purpose-driven, such as a shape better for daily driving vs a sports car. If function doesn't dictate the change, then why would you put anything but the best design in ALL your vehicles?

Other than the fact that people are stupid & find things to whine about, of course. And perhaps that's enough of a reason since this is sales we're talking about, and logic need not apply sometimes. I've not noticed a single person say "they need a different steering wheel for the Corvette, because the design of this wheel is flawed."

You could spin it any way you like.

"Come check out the race-bred Cobalt SS, with its steering wheel lifted right out of the Corvette!"

Why can't GM think of stuff like this? :P

In all seriousness though, if I was wrong in my initial post (I hadn't perused the photo gallery yet), then why even make noise about a new steering wheel? The changes are hardly worth mentioning.

A $50k-100k sports car shouldn't be sharing interior parts with $20k econoboxes. Typical GM cheapassing...

I agree with your assessment of GM's aversion to MCE. But steering wheel sharing?

BMW and MB blatantly us the same steering wheels through their individual lineup. That is cheapassing too.

What is wrong if the steering wheel is shared provided the actual mechanics of it works fantastically?

What is wrong if the steering wheel is shared provided the actual mechanics of it works fantastically?

Exactly. I can see putting a more upscale leather wrap on the wheel, specialized logos, etc, but if GM is designing 10 different steering wheels at any given time, some of them are going to end up pretty lousy. Better to design 2-3 wheels that have excellent ergonomics, durability, and features and use them widespread.

Now I could also see value in creating a steering wheel design that is semi-modular, such that perhaps just the airbag cover could be redesigned to give the wheel a fairly distinct look, and use that to distinguish further between brands and top models. That way GM isn't, um, "reinventing the wheel", but at the same time can reduce complaints for those that seem to think that a $50k car shouldn't share any parts with a $20k car, because you simply change the perception.

I'm not really concerned about the steering wheel per say, just an observation. I just wish they'd give it a better MCE if the thing isn't due to be replaced for a few more years. Something with the exterior, a better center stack, and perhaps most importantly of all, better seats. Since the C6 came out its been criticized for its seats not having enough support for aggressive driving. No excuse for that in a sports car.

I'm not really concerned about the steering wheel per say, just an observation. I just wish they'd give it a better MCE if the thing isn't due to be replaced for a few more years. Something with the exterior, a better center stack, and perhaps most importantly of all, better seats. Since the C6 came out its been criticized for its seats not having enough support for aggressive driving. No excuse for that in a sports car.

C7 is coming in 2013. For one MY MCE with those changes is not necessary. That MCE should have taken in 2009, but then again bankruptcy did not favor such.

GM needs to really start MCE culture seriously. GM produces a product and lets it rot too long. CTS has not had MCE in 2012, which is its 5th MY, other than few grille job here and there.

They did...

Interior and feature changes

All 2012 Corvette models will include a new seat design and a new steering wheel. The seats feature larger bolsters on the seat back and cushion areas, which provide better driver support, especially in high-performance driving while remaining comfortable for daily street driving.

We'll see. They should just fit some Recaros on it.

Is GM putting Recaros in any of their vehicles anymore? I know they were putting them in the Ion RL & Cobalt SS for quite a while, but stopped before both models ended production. Not sure what else if anything they were putting them in.

Is GM putting Recaros in any of their vehicles anymore? I know they were putting them in the Ion RL & Cobalt SS for quite a while, but stopped before both models ended production. Not sure what else if anything they were putting them in.

I thought the CTS-V uses Recaros designed specifically for it?

You're right, just looked it up, I had forgotten about that. So yeah, I've gotta agree - GM should just source seats for the Corvette from Recaro. GM, put that on the next-gen to-do list! (Though going back to the "function over form" thought, if the new seats are terrific, then sourcing from Recaro isn't a necessity, but the name certainly carries weight with performance enthusiasts, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Recaros in the Ion RL & Cobalt SS.)

It does, they are options, and apparently well worth the money.

I really don't think it's necessary to outsource seats for the Corvette, to Recaro or anyone else.

It makes sense for GM not to design a brand new seat specifically for the CTS-V. The CTS-V uses the normal CTS seats and the Recaros are optional. The normal CTS seats are designed with a much broader array of buyers in mind, sort of a happy middle ground between performance and luxury. But then for the more hardcore enthusiasts, who are going to opt for the CTS-V, the option of Recaros is made available. I don't know the take rate on the Recaros, but it probably doesn't make sense for GM to develop an all new seat themselves for just the CTS-V.

The Corvette, on the other hand, should have performance-oreinted seats (a la Recaros) standard in all of its trims. Might as well design one good seat for the Corvette rather than buy seats for every Corvette made from Recaro or a similar company. It's not like the Recaros in the CTS-V are a free option, they cost $2400. No need to add that to the base price of all Corvettes.

2012 is the 8th model year of the C6...they could have at least given the interior an MCE a few years ago..a car at this price point should at least have it's own steering wheel...

GM did not have the money they needed to bring cars to market like a new Impala or Malibu so do you really think they had enough money to spend to fix the Vette Interior. The Vette Guys used the money they had on the electronic suspensions, Brembo brakes and by pass exhaust and let the interior slide. While it may not be the best in class it is not that bad. The first gen Viper looked and felt like a kit car. When Pontiac had to delay things like hood scoops a year do to the lack of funds it is telling how short budget funds were on some models. Even cars like the Vette has limits and they have to pick and choose what they will spend it on. They could have done an interior but then they would have had to skip the magnetic shocks. In this class performace comes first.

As for the steering wheel I fell tickled to death I have a ZR1 wheel in my HHR SS. Buy if I had a ZR1 I would wonder what the hell did I spend all this money on other than brakes and and engine.

Just for the cost of the car they could afford a Momo or some other aftermarket wheel. It would add little to the cost and make the interior a little better without a redesign. Hell I put a OE Momo Wheel from a 288 GTO Ferrari in my Pontiac. I got a hell of a deal on it in Beverly Hills. The guy at the X Ray machine at the airport looked me and said a Steering wheel?

I really don't think it's necessary to outsource seats for the Corvette, to Recaro or anyone else.

It makes sense for GM not to design a brand new seat specifically for the CTS-V. The CTS-V uses the normal CTS seats and the Recaros are optional. The normal CTS seats are designed with a much broader array of buyers in mind, sort of a happy middle ground between performance and luxury. But then for the more hardcore enthusiasts, who are going to opt for the CTS-V, the option of Recaros is made available. I don't know the take rate on the Recaros, but it probably doesn't make sense for GM to develop an all new seat themselves for just the CTS-V.

The Corvette, on the other hand, should have performance-oreinted seats (a la Recaros) standard in all of its trims. Might as well design one good seat for the Corvette rather than buy seats for every Corvette made from Recaro or a similar company. It's not like the Recaros in the CTS-V are a free option, they cost $2400. No need to add that to the base price of all Corvettes.

Many of these seats are brand name but often they are not noted. Same on wheels and other parts. I remember the wheels on my Inlaws old town car were OZ Racing but it was only on the back of the wheel. Top Suppliers often don't get a tag or label.

Many of these seats are brand name but often they are not noted. Same on wheels and other parts. I remember the wheels on my Inlaws old town car were OZ Racing but it was only on the back of the wheel. Top Suppliers often don't get a tag or label.

Exactly. I was just going to say that OEMs usually aren't designing seats. It is companies like TRW and Recaro etc that do it.

Enkei did the Saturn S-Series alloy wheels, some of which are very lightweight for their size.

Enkei did the Saturn S-Series alloy wheels, some of which are very lightweight for their size.

They did the 2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G wheels, too. I noticed that earlier this week when I had the wheels off and thought it was kinda interesting...

'04-'06 GTOs and G8s used Blaupunkt stereos... not real unusual for Holden, but unusual for GMNA.

They did the 2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G wheels, too. I noticed that earlier this week when I had the wheels off and thought it was kinda interesting...

'04-'06 GTOs and G8s used Blaupunkt stereos... not real unusual for Holden, but unusual for GMNA.

My GTP Comp G wheels say Prime Wheels on the back. Even the seats in the Fiero were Lear. GM may have styled them or worked with the companies but much of this is out sourced and sent in as a package anymore.

Well of course a supplier makes the seats and sends them to GM. That doesn't mean GM doesn't design the seats and then the supplier makes them.

There's a difference between GM designing the seats and sending them out for bid and simply buying a current design from a seat maker (which I'm pretty sure is what they did with the CTS-V and Recaro).

That's basically the same interior with some suede inserts on the seat (which I was never a fan of suede on any seat or steering wheel) and some red stitching on the dash. It's still a bad interior.

There is a difference between suede and Alcantara.

From Wikipedia:

Alcantara is a tradename given to a composite material used to cover surfaces and forms in a variety of applications. The material was developed in the early 1970s by Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for the Japanese chemical company Toray Industries, as a variation of their other product Ultrasuede produced around the same time.[1] Around 1972, a joint venture between Italian chemical company ENI and Toray formed Alcantara SpA in order to manufacture and distribute the material.[2][3].

Alcantara is created via the combination of an advanced spinning process (producing very low denier bi-component "islands in the sea" fibre) and chemical and textile production processes (needle punching, buffing, impregnation, extraction, finishing, dyeing, etc.) which interact with each other.

Let's be honest here, the Corvette does not sell on its interior. The car trades on its image, not on its center stack. It amazes me that people pay top dollar for the vehicle given its age and competition's options.

But, I'd rather GM spend the money on cars that actually matter. Corvette fans, and fifty-something bald guys will still buy the vehicle, so why bother spending money on it? The new one is out for 2013, and spending money to MCE a halo car when most Americans are still in the fiscal doldrums is a bad idea.

Plus, if you want luxury, GM has a CTS_V coupe with your name on it.

GM did the wheel thing 'back in the day' also. The famous Pontiac 8-lugs were designed by PMD but manufactured by Kelsey-Hayes.

Same with the Cadillac Sabre Spokes.

I don't remember GM putting the Kelsey-Hayes name actually on the 8 lugs... but I don't have a set to check... yet.

• 1 month later...

Anyone here actually have a Corvette? I do and my seats and steering wheel work perfectly fine for the aggressive driving I need to do. I can give a rats ass who else uses the same steering wheel. It works, and it works well.. I didn't buy a corvette to look at in my garage and contemplate how my interior is styled. I bought one to DRIVE and RACE, you know... what the car was designed for...

I cant believe you guys are seriously arguing about a steering wheel. Let alone one that works amazingly well and is very comfortable.

All you guys with steering wheel complaints must care more about how your hair looks then your car hooks.... Im glad GM doesn't think like that, hold on the fancy interior Chevy, keep building those cars that perform way beyond their target market on a super budget. WE LOVE IT!

• Disagree 2

Anyone here actually have a Corvette? I do and my seats and steering wheel work perfectly fine for the aggressive driving I need to do. I can give a rats ass who else uses the same steering wheel. It works, and it works well.. I didn't buy a corvette to look at in my garage and contemplate how my interior is styled. I bought one to DRIVE and RACE, you know... what the car was designed for...

I cant believe you guys are seriously arguing about a steering wheel. Let alone one that works amazingly well and is very comfortable.

All you guys with steering wheel complaints must care more about how your hair looks then your car hooks.... Im glad GM doesn't think like that, hold on the fancy interior Chevy, keep building those cars that perform way beyond their target market on a super budget. WE LOVE IT!

deanh8, interiors matter. Nobody in their right mind would want a cheap interior in their $45-80K Vette. As for steering wheels, I will defer to those who own a Vette, particularly on race day.

• Agree 1

The thing is that Corvette buyers wouldn't be turned off by an improved interior, and there is a group of people out there that would consider buying one if the interior was better.

Those people are probably buying BMWs and Porsches

Exactly. But current Corvette buyers are not going to all of the sudden stop buying Corvettes because the interior is improved enough to compete with BMWs and Porsches, and BMW and Porsche buyers might actually consider a Corvette if it had an interior up to par with BMW/Porsche/etc.

• 5 weeks later...

The thing is that Corvette buyers wouldn't be turned off by an improved interior, and there is a group of people out there that would consider buying one if the interior was better.

This is the correct thinking. You want to appeal the car to the widest market of buyers you can that are in the market for a car like this. The formula for failure is to target the same small group you targeted for years. The Vette has been lucky to sell on legacy for many years and they finally got the performance back to where it needed to be. The rest of the car could and should measure up to appeal to the non Vette fan as much as the Vette fan.

Last year sales were just over 12K units. In the past that could have been a death sentence for a new Vette, the chapter 11 may have saved the Vette. If GM had the Vette to the point it appealed to a wider group sales more than not would not have been as low as they were. Also if it was sold in a global market a 1000 here and a 1000 units there add up.

Just look a Chevys global sales for the first half of this year as they set a record. Each and every market adds up and Chevy now is working as one unit and not 17 different Chevy Divisions.