Yawn, it looks pretty boring inside and out.  I don't find much interesting about it.  They better use aggressive pricing, or it will just disappear in the marketplace.

The guy that likes 3-different sizes of sausage thinks the Continental is boring....... Lincoln must be doing something right.

Well when you have the best looking full size sedan on the market, the classiest looking small luxury sedan on the market, might as well make the middle sedan look similar.  Mercedes has interesting looking interiors again.  From 2010 to 2014 they got boring, the interiors are fantastic again.

They have a sort of bland looking car on top of a stretched Fusion platform.  I am also not that excited because I know they'll price it higher than they should, and it won't sell, and this car will be forgotten about, unless they can push a bunch to the Hertz Gold lots in 3-4 years.

Someone asked for a door handle.attachicon.gifIMG_20160112_113250.jpg

What do you think of the door handles?  Seem strange to me.    But this is one car I want to see in person before I form an opinion of it...

Unique and interesting. I liked it. Probably could use a tune to the response time a little bit. They are electronically activated, but not as instant as I expected.

Yawn, it looks pretty boring inside and out.  I don't find much interesting about it.  They better use aggressive pricing, or it will just disappear in the marketplace.

The guy that likes 3-different sizes of sausage thinks the Continental is boring....... Lincoln must be doing something right.

Well when you have the best looking full size sedan on the market, the classiest looking small luxury sedan on the market, might as well make the middle sedan look similar.  Mercedes has interesting looking interiors again.  From 2010 to 2014 they got boring, the interiors are fantastic again.

They have a sort of bland looking car on top of a stretched Fusion platform.  I am also not that excited because I know they'll price it higher than they should, and it won't sell, and this car will be forgotten about, unless they can push a bunch to the Hertz Gold lots in 3-4 years.

If you did not know this was on the fusion platform, there's nothing in the car to give that away.

Unlike Drew, I don't like the Continental. I don't think it's boring, but something seems off to me on it. I love the interior and want to hear more about the engines. But something about how it is shaped makes me turn away and look at other sedans.

The exterior, to me, has Cat- Dog syndrome.. Its shaped in a way that if it wasn't marked with headlights and tailights I wouldn't no which one was the front of the back. For those who don't remember Cat-Dog... 

CatDog.jpeg

or car related.. the Tartan Prancer from the "Vacation" Movie this Summer

screen-shot-2015-07-24-at-17.09.12.jpg

And the other 2/3 were industry people who have also seen the CT6 before. No one was crawling over the MKX either for the same reason. Pacifica had security guards to keep the Kia engineers off. Cars that are new to the show get the attention.

Stop being such a cheerleader.

Call it what you like, but nobody but GM fans will know what the CT6 is and how to find it. The Continental is one of the darlings of the show. And I don't recall much hoopla the first time the showed the CT6.

Were you in NYC for the debut of the CT6? I was... I had an invitation from Cadillac for the event... How did you get your invite?

I remember the hoopla because I was there.

Wings was no where near NYC. He isn't allowed to leave Michigan. 

I was there for the public appearance.. and it was getting mad attention

• Agree 1

I am surprised it has only a 6spd auto..shouldn't they have an 8- or 9- speed auto by now?

9 speed will most likely be coming eventually.

I am surprised it has only a 6spd auto..shouldn't they have an 8- or 9- speed auto by now?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Ford/GM working on a ten-speed automatic, could be in the Continental's future.

That's rwd based. The fwd is a 9 speed

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Ford/GM working on a ten-speed automatic, could be in the Continental's future.

Ford is spearheading the development on the 10R RWD Transmission and GM is heading the the work on the 9 spd FWD transverse gearbox.

Ford will let GM use the 10-speed transmission as part of their joint venture agreement. In-return, General Motors will let Ford use its GM designed 9-speed transmission

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/exclusive-inside-look-fords-new-10-speed-transmission/

More sources out there confirm this.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

The way it works is that each team (Ford or GM) will lead their respective engineering teams for the internals (gears, clutches, etc.) but each will design and engineer their own externals (case, bolt pattern, solenoids, etc.). The savings come from sharing the massive costs of manufacturing all tooling needed to build the internals.  Externals are cheap.

That said, I got a good look at the 10 speed on display next to Raptor.  I was blown away at how compact it is.  

Edited by Wings4Life

I like it actually.  LOVE the blue interior color, but think those seats will be a nightmare when they get old and broken.  Photos have been posted of the production car with blue exterior, which lends it a patrician air.  And if they couldn't bring a car with the right chassis (RWD), then the compromise of the 400-hp V6 with AWD seems OK I guess.

In all photos, I feel the hood is too short, but if they made it longer, then overhang would have been a stylistic problem, with the FWD proportions.

Someone asked for a door handle.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160112_113250.jpg

Concept was considerably more elegant with the solution.

lincoln-continental-concept-sg-1.jpg

....and less functional.  How do you grab that piece of sculpture?

Yes, just looks like a cheap plastic tab...

Concept was considerably more elegant with the solution.

lincoln-continental-concept-sg-1.jpg

....and less functional.  How do you grab that piece of sculpture?

I have to agree with Wings, for sure. It might look good but if your hands are cold or wet it will slip right off of that.

Also, how do these doors work? I read that they can have an "auto-close" as an option and they are triggered, or something, by a button? so is it an auto-open as well? Or is it a conventional door without the auto-close? 

I have to agree with Wings, for sure. It might look good but if your hands are cold or wet it will slip right off of that.

Also, how do these doors work? I read that they can have an "auto-close" as an option and they are triggered, or something, by a button? so is it an auto-open as well? Or is it a conventional door without the auto-close?

It does have auto close.  You don't need to slam the door, you just pull it into position and the car pulls the door in for you.

It is ok, I do think it lost something in transition.  The door handles kind of make me think of a bathroom fixture.  The interior is again ok, LOVE those seats, but the rest seems kind of "been there before".  nice to see the Charger racetrack taillights too. 

It does have auto close.  You don't need to slam the door, you just pull it into position and the car pulls the door in for you.

Fully manual opening though, correct? So you need something to physically grab onto, handle-wise? 

Fully manual opening though, correct? So you need something to physically grab onto, handle-wise? 

Yes. Put your hand into the handle and there is a small button inside. Pull and the electronic release triggers to unlatch the door, pull open.

It works fine, I just think the electronic release needs a bit faster of a response. I feel the same way about the Tesla handles.

Great, so more electronics to fail and jack up the price of repairs.

Seems that auto's truly will become disposable consumption, drive 100K and recycle. These door handles will be a nightmare. Catch onto everything and break off causing more damage to the over all door is how I see it and I bet FORD makes a statement to NOT go through car washes as the door handles can get caught on the brushes and get damaged.

Not a fan of the door handles. FAILURE in my opinion.

Seems that auto's truly will become disposable consumption, drive 100K and recycle. These door handles will be a nightmare. Catch onto everything and break off causing more damage to the over all door is how I see it and I bet FORD makes a statement to NOT go through car washes as the door handles can get caught on the brushes and get damaged.

What about that handle sticks out and says "i'll catch onto things" more than any other door handle with an opening? Plus, this doesn't actually move so there are less creases for the brushes to get caught in, in fact, zero. 

Picture bump! 

It does have auto close. You don't need to slam the door, you just pull it into position and the car pulls the door in for you.

As with any modern luxury car, the ideal use case is to lease for a few years, then turn in and move on. Or get the extended warranty. Definitely not something you would want to have when they are old and out of warranty. Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It is ok, I do think it lost something in transition.  The door handles kind of make me think of a bathroom fixture.  The interior is again ok, LOVE those seats, but the rest seems kind of "been there before".  nice to see the Charger racetrack taillights too. 

Actually this is what I thought when I first saw the taillights.

2010_hyundai_azera_angularrear.jpg

2017-Lincoln-Continental-rear-three-quar

Ah, i see that haha.  I was thinking more that in some of the photos it appear to ave a lighted LED strip going around the taillights like the Charger and he Dart.

Ah, i see that haha.  I was thinking more that in some of the photos it appear to ave a lighted LED strip going around the taillights like the Charger and he Dart.

A combination of the two perhaps lol.

A combination of the two perhaps lol.

Mwahaha, that's scary though, especially for a car meant to save a luxury brand.

Stop the nonsense with the Azera taillights,  guys...

Some of you are hellbent to find problems with the Continental.

The Continental taillights do NOT look like Azera headlights...

Not in the least....

Why?

Just because there is a similar feature that runs across the trunk?

CMON GUYS!!!

Its funny you see Azera, yet I see an evolution of this:

31203370007_large.jpg

Which in fact, that Mark VIII taillight treatment is in all new Lincoln products...

2012-08-12_13-55-45_743-300x169.jpg

92550__2015-lincoln-mkc_01-500x353.jpg

and technically, the Continental wears its taillights flipped around from that MKC...

So...cut it out with the nonsense...

The Continental actually looks almost like the concept...the spy shots screwed up the visuals....but in production form, it surprisingly comes close to the concept..

Maybe the wheelbase has been compromised...I know one thing, I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT IN PERSON...

In my honest opinion...Concept to Concept, the Continental looks 1000 times better than the Buick Avenir, and the Continental made it to production...so THAT SHOULD be a plus!

I dont like the door handles though...I did not know  how to describe them until a poster in this thread called them toilet paper fixtures...and BINGO! PERFECT description...

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Stop the nonsense with the Azera taillights,  guys...

Some of you are hellbent to find problems with the Continental.

The Continental taillights do NOT look like Azera headlights...

Not in the least....

Why?

Just because there is a similar feature that runs across the trunk?

CMON GUYS!!!

Its funny you see Azera, yet I see an evolution of this:

31203370007_large.jpg

Which in fact, that Mark VIII taillight treatment is in all new Lincoln products...

2012-08-12_13-55-45_743-300x169.jpg

92550__2015-lincoln-mkc_01-500x353.jpg

and technically, the Continental wears its taillights flipped around from that MKC...

So...cut it out with the nonsense...

The Continental actually looks almost like the concept...the spy shots screwed up the visuals....but in production form, it surprisingly comes close to the concept..

Maybe the wheelbase has been compromised...I know one thing, I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT IN PERSON...

In my honest opinion...Concept to Concept, the Continental looks 1000 times better than the Buick Avenir, and the Continental made it to production...so THAT SHOULD be a plus!

I dont like the door handles though...I did not know  how to describe them until a poster in this thread called them toilet paper fixtures...and BINGO! PERFECT description...

Oh lighten up Olds. It was merely the first thing that popped into my head. I know what they have used in the past. It was mostly because my neighbor has the exact same Azera as whats in the pic. Good grief people.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

BTW, those perforated seats not only serve to help breathe, but they make the leather much more supple.  Imagine no perforations and real taut.....feels hard in comparison.

I was unaware those chrome handles have a button and require pulling leverage. I thought it had a sensor and popped ajar. I just think the chrome handles protruding from the window trim like that look really strange. Sorry, this thing is such a swing and a miss for me. I'll excuse myself from the thread.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Congrats to Lincoln on the breakthrough of perforated seats and 6-speed automatics.   The luxury world has been put on notice.

Troll much?

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I see they added a mode to the Lincoln Drive Control option.  Previously there was a normal and then a sport mode.  Now they have comfort, normal and sport mode.  The driver selects one of three, which affects things like steering input, shifting, suspension dampening, etc.  I suspect that allows a deeper sport setting, which would be quite useful with their advanced AWD system and 400plus hp.  I would like to see them dial up the engine sound in sport as well.  This thing will be whisper quiet as it is.  I am amazed that foam lined tires reduce road NVH by 7 decibels.  That is huge alone.

I wonder how customers will accept this sedan, seeing as how the masses are shifting to CUVs.  

One of my favorite interior colors is this one.  Forget what it's called.  Silver birch wood me thinks.

Stunning and very unique and it looks so great in motion.

landscape-1452571158-003-2017-lincoln-co

Lincoln-Continental-2017-1600-0a.jpg

Website has some great shots too.

http://www.lincoln.com/2017-continental/?hptid=bb-2410a-continental-rvl

Sell that product son!!! But not to me... 

I appreciate U posting this HD shot. I gotta be honest.. I am even more convinced that this thing lacks what I would be looking for in a luxury interior. It simply looks like they lathered a few mainstream surfaces in leather and wood. The design is a cluttered mess.. a mess that still sings TAURUS, even if it isn't. I will reserve final judgement for NYIAS. But I have a pretty good feeling that it will be one of those guys I get into.. look around.. and get out with this face

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Congrats to Lincoln on the breakthrough of perforated seats and 6-speed automatics.   The luxury world has been put on notice.

Troll much?

While his delivery lacks pizzazz I tend to agree. I am lost as to why people are on GMC for bringing out the Acadia with a 6Speed.. but not protesting the supposed return of Lincoln with the one in their "flagship."

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

^ That hood goes on for daaaaaayyyyyzzzzzzzz! And I love it! 

Comparing those two I have to give an easy nod to the Conti in the seating department. Those new seats in the Conti look pretty spectactular and 30 ways to adjust them?!?! EVERYBODY will find a comfortable spot. 

Other than that there are highs and lows to both interiors that leave me in the middle without seeing them both in person. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I love that casa is allowed to get away with this trolling crap because this is a GM biased site.....and yet I get called a cheerleader.....for mentioning more Lincoln traffic at the show.

Can't make this stuff up.

I love that casa is allowed to get away with this trolling crap because this is a GM biased site.....and yet I get called a cheerleader.....for mentioning more Lincoln traffic at the show.

Posting a preference for or against a particular product is fine. You werent being called a cheerleader for noting the Continental traffic ( which I agree was significant), you were called a cheerleader for incorrectly ascribing a cause to the difference between CT6 traffic and Continental traffic. It was bias for Continental because of your made up rationale and I called you on it.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Posting a preference for or against a particular product is fine. You werent being called a cheerleader for noting the Continental traffic ( which I agree was significant), you were called a cheerleader for incorrectly ascribing a cause to the difference between CT6 traffic and Continental traffic. It was bias for Continental because of your made up rationale and I called you on it.

Called me on it?

BS.

You gave me your opinion on it, which I disagreed with.

And thus far all the news I am hearing is still focused on the Conti first, and I expect that to continue....even though few at Detroit have seen the CT6.  My point again, it does not stand out like the Conti.