Buick News: Rumorpile: Next Buick Regal To Feature V6, Wagon

William Maley

The Buick Regal is currently the oldest passenger sedan in Buick's lineup at the moment. But we do know that a next-generation model based on the next Opel/Vaxuhall Insignia. The Truth About Cars has learned some intriguing information about the next Regal.

According to a source, Buick is planning to reveal the next Regal sometime in the second quarter, possibly at the New York Auto Show. Designers at Buick have added their own touches to the Regal's exterior to have it stand apart from the Insignia. The interior is said to be more spacious, especially in the back. 

The source goes on to say that the Regal will gain a V6, though it is unknown what V6 it would be (most likely a variant of the 3.6). There is internal talk about offering a diesel, but that is something down the road if given the green light. The Tourx nameplate we first learned about back in December will be used for a high-riding Regal wagon with all-wheel drive. That is expected to be revealed sometime next year. Finally, the GS is expected to stick around, though no one is sure what form it will take.

Source: The Truth About Cars
Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

View full article

I find it more likely the V6 will be a version of the 3.0T for the new GS. I highly doubt GM is going to backtrack on their downsized, turbocharged product plan and add a large N/A V6 to a midsize car better suited for the current 2.0T.

1 hour ago, Wings4Life said:

Amazing that it took them this long to get AWD.  So many sales opportunities lost in the interim.

The Regal has offered Haldex torque vectoring AWD since 2014. Why bother going out of your way to say something negative that you didn't even research first?

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, William Maley said:

The Tourx nameplate we first learned about back in December will be used for a high-riding Regal wagon with all-wheel drive. That is expected to be revealed sometime next year.

This is giving me a Honda Accord Crosstour feeling... and that's not a good thing...

Taking bets now: GM will sell all of 10 of these in a month -- in both wagon and sedan form -- and immediately want to pull the plug in favor of selling more Envisions.

It begs the question (that I'm sure Sergio Marchionne is probably asking right now): why does GM keep beating around the bush with Buick? Buick could ditch both the Regal and iPleasureMyself (aka LaCrosse), and sell only Encores, Envisions and Enclaves and US buyers would hardly even blink, let alone flinch.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Blake Noble said:

Taking bets now: GM will sell all of 10 of these in a month -- in both wagon and sedan form -- and immediately want to pull the plug in favor of selling more Envisions.

you must've missed the masses at the RenCen's doors clamouring for a Buick AMC Eagle

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Blake Noble said:

It begs the question: why does GM keep beating around the bush with Buick? Buick could ditch both the Regal and iPleasureMyself (aka LaCrosse), and sell only Encores, Envisions and Enclaves and US buyers would hardly even blink, let alone flinch.

I agree, Buick could add a 4th crossover in between Envision and Encore, there is about 16 or 17 inches in length between the 2 of them.  I do think they need to sell a sedan, so LaCrosse is it, but Cascada doesn't sell much, Regal doesn't sell much.  A Regal wagon won't sell at all, I don't see what they can do with the Regal to get better sales out of it, other than renaming it Camry.

I am shocked they are putting a V6 in the Regal, how in the name of CAFE is that happening?

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I agree, Buick could add a 4th crossover in between Envision and Encore, there is about 16 or 17 inches in length between the 2 of them.  I do think they need to sell a sedan, so LaCrosse is it, but Cascada doesn't sell much, Regal doesn't sell much.  A Regal wagon won't sell at all, I don't see what they can do with the Regal to get better sales out of it, other than renaming it Camry.

I am shocked they are putting a V6 in the Regal, how in the name of CAFE is that happening?

lol I forgot the Cascada was a thing there for a moment. I guess Avis really didn't care about replacing those Chrysler 200 convertibles after all.

On a serious note, to answer your last question, the Regal is gaining a V6 because it's also more or less replacing the Holden Commodore in Australia. The next-generation Buick Regal, Opel Insignia and Holden Commodore are reportedly supposed to be the same car.

A V6 won't move the sales needle at all with the Regal.  Most people buying a Regal probably are used to and prefer the 200 hp of their Lesabre or Mercury Milan.   Anyone that wants a sports sedan isn't buying a Regal.  Why Buick insists on trying to make Regal a Euro-sports sedan is beyond me, it doesn't fit the rest of the brand, and it doesn't work.  

• Agree 1

Regal is the only nameplate that has a lot of history... is this good or bad?

Lacrosse has history since....2006?  2005MY, so close.

I really will be surprised if they make a v6 wagon for the US, but this is the 2nd time this rumor has come up.

Will Tourx start being called torx? or should it be Tour-X... Taurus-X i'm seeing a fail with this name.

And with the honda crosstour, that is an ugly vehicle, hopefully it's not like that.

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I love the Regal name. Lots of history. I have owned a GS myself as well as several Cutlass versions, previously same platform.  I wish GM luck with it, and even current model is still a looker.

The current Regal was always capable of having a V6. It was built to be able to handle the 2.8TT, which while no longer in production, is the same basic block externally as the 3.6.   So there's no reason why even in the current car, the 3.6 wouldn't just drop right in. 

i tend to agree it will probably be the twin turbo v6 in the GS and likely something like 3.0 litre.  I'll be surprised if the normal aspirated v6 is offered when the 2.0t has about the same acceleration and the LaCrosse will have the v6.  I actually am betting the new Insignia is quite sharp looking and rakish in comparison to the LaCrosse, although since the Insignia will basically be current Malbu sized, they will have then fixed the small interior problem of the current Regal.  It will be closer to the new LaCrosse in leg room but overall cabin volume will be enough different to define them size wise and not step on each other.  The 3.0 tt and sophisticated all wheel drive should be awesome.

I like the Regal name too but to be honest maybe it would be better off as Insignia......

On 10/4/2016 at 4:01 PM, Wings4Life said:

Amazing that it took them this long to get AWD.  So many sales opportunities lost in the interim.

i did not vote you down here but Buick has offered a good AWD on the Regal and Lacrosse for years. 

Here is the deal here as it appears many here just are not familiar with what this car will be. It is a new version of a tall wagon Opel has sold for years. It is popular in Europe and can be sold here rebadged as a wagon in numbers based on demand. Not really any risk here. 

The tall wagons take on the flavor of a Forester and a little SUV as they butch them up a bit. 

VW is entering this segment too with the Golf SUV model too. 

The  past Regal was an old platform and GM was not going to invest much into it. Yes Opel offered a T V6 in it for Europe but it also cost around $60,000 there. It was difficult enough to sell a small Regal here at $40K plus. 

GM was waiting for the new platform so they could tailor this car more for the American market. 

I rather doubt there will be a SUV between the Envision and Encore. 

On the other hand when the Colorado based model arrives I could also become a Buick too as a premium package.

Buick will become much  more Opel like with many models and give us what they call White Space models we normally would not see GM do outside Europe. 

the New Regal performance model is expected with a TT V6 an even more advanced AWD system than the Haldex they already use and a remote possibility a 10 speed Duel Clutch set up. 

Now be forewarned you will not be buying this car for the $44K of the present model either but it will not be like the car that is leaving and will be a major step up. 

As for the Regal name it is not damaged but it also does not reflect well the true nature of the present car. It had been decades since the Regal was really the darling of some buyers. Also the GN and GNX names are not good to represent a TT V6 AWD Euro sedan. The GN means Grand National and that was for when Buick was in NASCAR. Well Buick is no longer in NASCAR and even NASCAR does not call it Grand National anymore. It would be like calling a Camaro an IROC but there is no IROC and a Camaro was not even one of the last tow models they used. There is a point to let go even to the good things in life when they no longer fit as well. 

As long as they keep this wagon much like the Opel they have had they should do well with it as it had just enough SUV to attract CUV buyers but also enough sport to attract car buyers. Either way it will do well in the intended market of Europe and anything here will be add on sales. I also expect it to do well as an Opel in Australia. 

Now if they can just keep the damn fake wood grain off of it and not call it an Estate. LOL!

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

i did not vote you down here but Buick has offered a good AWD on the Regal and Lacrosse for years. 

Yeah, I kind of forgot about that recent upgrade, and already got castrated for it ;)

• 1 month later...

I for one am excited by the news of the wagon version of the Regal coming to the US market.  I was in Copenhagen, Denmark in April and had the pleasure of seeing the current Opel Insignia wagon, among many other manufacturer's wagons not seen on US roads (Ford Fusion, for example).  I was absolutely gaga over the Insignia wagon and being a fan of the current Regal, wished the wagon was offered here in the US.  If the next Regal knocks the styling out of the park, I will definitely look to replace my GMC with a Regal wagon.

748_zpsn23cqc3m.jpg

763_zpsdrvawuk3.jpg

35 minutes ago, GMTruckGuy74 said:

I for one am excited by the news of the wagon version of the Regal coming to the US market.  I was in Copenhagen, Denmark in April and had the pleasure of seeing the current Opel Insignia wagon, among many other manufacturer's wagons not seen on US roads (Ford Fusion, for example).  I was absolutely gaga over the Insignia wagon and being a fan of the current Regal, wished the wagon was offered here in the US.  If the next Regal knocks the styling out of the park, I will definitely look to replace my GMC with a Regal wagon.

748_zpsn23cqc3m.jpg

763_zpsdrvawuk3.jpg

Opel, your old CTS wagon in new cloths! :P