William Maley

Industry News: Latest Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Survey Has Buick In the Top 3

1 hour ago, FordCosworth said:

Throughout my life, I've had a 2x CR80R, CR125R, 3x CR250R and the damn freak me out CR500R...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Sure, its just CR...but once again, in another reliability survey, FCA divisions dead last.

You really did click on the wrong thread because this is about Buick, not FCA.

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

They were mentioned in the article.

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Says the guy who inserts Lincoln, a company not even mentioned in the article, into the thread.

Typical SJW. Do as I say, not as I do. :huh:

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

EXACTLY! That's why I hate these so much. They're just very inaccurate.

They also do not spell out the real issues.  With my beloved BRZ/FRS twins, they list fuel pump issue.  Fuel pump issue is a noise known to owners as crickets, car will run 300,000 miles with a noisy fuel pump no problem.

First gen VW TDI common rail (2009-2014 anything but the Passat) high pressure fuel pump would blow and send shrapnel through the system, resulting in a repair that ran between $3500 and $8000.  Aftermarket came up with a two micron filter that partially solved this, but it was a known issue for VW for 5 years and they never did a damned thing but have a soft warranty where they would pay dealers in some cases to repair cars.

They also never extended the warranty to Canada, so if you were a Canadian customer you were SOL.

And yet CR said that the BRZ was below average reliability for the fuel pump issue and rated the VW TDI models as average. That is a major failure to the future owners of these vehicles, 99 percent of whom are not gear heads like we are.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Says the guy who inserts Lincoln, a company not even mentioned in the article, into the thread.

Typical SJW. Do as I say, not as I do. :huh:

There was a good reason for the Lincoln reference and it was actually a compliment to Lincoln as to why I mentioned it. For years, they were easily in CRs top 10 in the 2000s, using the same formula that Buick is using now (other than BOF SUVs). Understand that now or do you want to continue this stupid SJW crusade when it doesn't even apply here?  :banghead:

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They were mentioned in the article.

True but that is not what the thread is about and he knows it. He wants to criticize me for bringing up Lincoln (which I brought up for reference in regards to Buick) while bringing up FCA like it doesn't matter (and he wasn't even referring to the CR report anyway). BTW, Ford is mentioned as well and since Lincoln is a part of Ford...

6 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Thumbs Up!

"Latest Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Survey Has Buick In the Top 3"

Are we just quoting the article now? 

"Rounding out the top ten list include Audi, Kia, Mazda, Hyundai, Infiniti (up 16 spots), BMW, and Honda."

Ha. Shows how credible this report is when AUDI finishes 4th.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Are we just quoting the article now? 

"Rounding out the top ten list include Audi, Kia, Mazda, Hyundai, Infiniti (up 16 spots), BMW, and Honda."

Ha. Shows how credible this report is when AUDI finishes 4th.

I think a more critical question to ask is what cars are built where an automaker has not clearly lost its way.  Honda has built some brilliant cars, like the NSX, prelude, older Civic SI's the older generations of Accords, the S2000 and many others. Current product line seems in many ways kind of value engineered in a bad sort of a way and genuinely uninspired.

A car should be a purchase you make with passion for something built with passion, not merely a Corolla because everything else is equally passionless.

7 minutes ago, Stew said:

CR is worthless.   most of their bad ratings seem to be based on infotainment system crap. 

Remember when they rated the Hummer poor because people complained about fuel economy? :duh::duh:

I'm not saying that Hummers were bastions of reliability... but come on... to rate a Hummer poor based on fuel economy is to miss the point entirely. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

CR is worthless.   most of their bad ratings seem to be based on infotainment system crap. 

Totally agree, they rated the Escalade the worst luxury SUV due to cramped interior and poor infotainment system.

WTF, I am 6'6" tall and at 280lbs not small, yet the current Escalade is very roomy for me, so what is cramped as they are so vague it is pathetic.

CR is not objective but clearly agenda driven by the Asians who pay the most to advertise in their piss poor magazines and books.

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Remember when they rated the Hummer poor because people complained about fuel economy? :duh::duh:

I'm not saying that Hummers were bastions of reliability... but come on... to rate a Hummer poor based on fuel economy is to miss the point entirely. 

Holy smokes, some people just lack common sense.

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Totally agree, they rated the Escalade the worst luxury SUV due to cramped interior and poor infotainment system.

WTF, I am 6'6" tall and at 280lbs not small, yet the current Escalade is very roomy for me, so what is cramped as they are so vague it is pathetic.

CR is not objective but clearly agenda driven by the Asians who pay the most to advertise in their piss poor magazines and books.

That is insane.  That and when they would give Corollas recommended ratings, but not the Nova/Prism and the only difference was the badge on the grill?   Can't even remotely take them seriously. 

25 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

People whine endlessly when car makers give us in many ways an excellent choice of vehicles.  People over on the Miata Forum are complaining they can't get a yellow Miata.  Never going to buy another Mazda product...when they should be glad they are offered a low volume specialty convertible in the first place.

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My sister and her husband run a catering business and were rated number one caterer in Western North Carolina.  They dropped to number two the next year when they did not buy advertising in the magazine giving the rating.

God only knows what BMW Benz and Toyota do for the folks at places like car and driver.

21 minutes ago, Stew said:

Holy smokes, some people just lack common sense.

That is insane.  That and when they would give Corollas recommended ratings, but not the Nova/Prism and the only difference was the badge on the grill?   Can't even remotely take them seriously. 

Millions of people do.

32 minutes ago, dfelt said:

They seem unable to think outside the box.  They down re vehicles as terrible that people freaking love.  The Jeep Wrangler has one of the largest cult followings of any vehicle on the planet and yet it is at the bottom of the CR scores.

It is almost like the CR editors don't think people are smart enough to decide on their own if they like a car.

On 10/26/2016 at 4:06 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

People whine endlessly when car makers give us in many ways an excellent choice of vehicles.  People over on the Miata Forum are complaining they can't get a yellow Miata.  Never going to buy another Mazda product...when they should be glad they are offered a low volume specialty convertible in the first place.

My sister and her husband run a catering business and were rated number one caterer in Western North Carolina.  They dropped to number two the next year when they did not buy advertising in the magazine giving the rating.

God only knows what BMW Benz and Toyota do for the folks at places like car and driver.

Millions of people do.

i've worked at a lot of places that somehow end up getting a 'best place to work' award from some publication or organization.

they sure do a great marketing job to get that.  Maybe there is a lobbying component here as well.

1 minute ago, regfootball said:

i've worked at a lot of places that somehow end up getting a 'best place to work' award from some publication or organization.

they sure do a great marketing job to get that.  Maybe there is a lobbying component here as well.

It is all highly political.