Tesla Model 3 Lacks FM Radio and Bluetooth Streaming

William Maley

As Model 3s begin to arrive at Tesla dealerships, we are beginning to get some answers to some of the key questions we have. Chief among those questions deal with how the Model 3's touchscreen works. Thanks to some videos that have made their way onto the internet, we have some answers and major concerns.

We know that the screen would control many functions of the vehicle, but didn't know the extent. Thanks to the video we now know that most functions are controlled through the screen. Want to change the fan speed? You need to use the touchscreen. Open the trunk? Need to use the touchscreen. If it begins raining and you need to turn on the wipers, you need to use the touchscreen. Is it just us or is this becoming a distraction disaster?

We also learned that Model 3s at the moment doesn't come with either FM Radio or Bluetooth streaming. The lack of the former will likely not make most annoyed, but the latter will. If you want to listen to music at the moment, you need to use a third-party streaming service over the car's 4G internet connection. Tesla has said that an OTA update that will bring FM and Bluetooth streaming is planned, and believed to be coming soon.

Source: Autoblog

View full article

I actually posted in the Tesla forum that I feel the Tesla 3 is going to be a very dangerous auto to drive. In the day of distracted driving where one needs to keep their eyes on the road, the lack of HUD and having everything down and to the right where you have to take your eyes off the road will make it an accident waiting to happen. Course, people attacked me and I have since found my account is disabled and my comment gone. 

So much for intellectual discussion about concerns with the Tesla 3.

Considering that much of the auto is controlled through that single touch screen, one does have to wonder just how reliable that auto will be.

It is going to be an interesting rest of the year as they roll out the Tesla 3 and we see how people respond to the interface.

I wonder how soon before one is totalled? 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, William Maley said:

That's when the Tesla salesperson walks over to you and asks "Are you interested in buying a new Model 3?"

Yeah, like with cell phones..new every 2...replace the obsolete/broken one with a new one..

12 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, like with cell phones..new every 2...replace the obsolete/broken one with a new one..

Makes one wonder if Tesla is thinking of an App for your iPhone or Android Phone so you can control your Tesla 3 in the event that your main screen fails.

Just tape your phone to the dash as your replacement. ;):P 

• Haha 1

How do you not have the software for bluetooth streaming available at launch?  Clearly the hardware is already there if they are able to do an OTA update.... but streaming is just a software package as part of the bluetooth software stack, and it's been part of the standard for near on a decade. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

How do you not have the software for bluetooth streaming available at launch?  Clearly the hardware is already there if they are able to do an OTA update.... but streaming is just a software package as part of the bluetooth software stack, and it's been part of the standard for near on a decade. 

^^This! And you better believe that if this were a GM or Ford issue, there would be some interesting rebuttals from the peanut gallery. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, frogger said:

Some of it I could get used to, but windshield wipers by touchscreen?  Seriously?  At least have voice recognition as an alternative.. "Set temperature to 72","Turn wipers on low"

They should have had HUD from the Start when deciding to go with an all touch center low mounted single screen.

Just safety stupid! :nono:

I'm over here laughing.  This is all so hilariously funny to me.  Rinkydink bullshyte.  BOLT RULES if one is of an electrical bent.

Although Motor Trend is having some issues with their long term Bolt too... lack of power steering that requires a reboot (ignition cycle) to restore, blank center screen, chintzy seats (MUST ADD LIGHTNESS!  ;) etc.  )

Edited by ocnblu

On 10/1/2017 at 5:42 AM, ocnblu said:

I'm over here laughing.  This is all so hilariously funny to me.  Rinkydink bullshyte.  BOLT RULES if one is of an electrical bent.

Although Motor Trend is having some issues with their long term Bolt too... lack of power steering that requires a reboot (ignition cycle) to restore, blank center screen, chintzy seats (MUST ADD LIGHTNESS!  ;) etc.  )

Yeah, it’s a good thing ICE cars have never had any major issues (insert heavy use of sarcasm here). 

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2017 at 5:42 AM, ocnblu said:

Yea, not like no one has ever dealt with contaminated fuel, pranks of sugar in the gas tank, and oh so many other issues like sludging on an ICE Auto. ;) 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yea, not like no one has ever dealt with contaminated fuel, pranks of sugar in the gas tank, and oh so many other issues like sludging on an ICE Auto. ;) 

What are you on abote?  Those things are not the car's fault... Tesla's problems are their own.  And I have not yet driven a Bolt, so I am reporting on Motor Trend's longterm impressions of their Car Of The Year.

Im more pissed about the center touch screen being the all central control center for everything rather than the lack of FM radio or even bluetooth.

I could go around the lack of FM and bluetooth.

iCloud and USB key music library could hold me over...

And while driving while talking on the phone is dangerous and garners you a ticket...it aint less dangerous using bluetooth...its just legal lethality...but one could still use his phone...not recommended...but hey...not saying I will be doing this...I dont even use bluetooth phone connectivity and I dont talk and drive NOW....alls Im saying is...an individual other than myself could still use his actual phone while driving...

So...for me...it is ALREADY a deal breaker for making the center touch screen the center control panel that controls virtually everything with no other physical buttons doing the simple things...

GM announced 20 new alternate fuel models including 2 new EVs...GM wont be the only ones either...

If Tesla dont fix this idiocy...Tesla wont be getting my money...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1