GM News: Could Hummer Be Coming Back?

As part of General Motors' tentative agreement with the United Auto Workers, there is a planned $3 billion investment into the Detroit-Hamtramck plant to make electric trucks, SUVs, and vans. The program, called BT1 is part of a larger $7.7 billion investment in GM's plants over the next four years. 

The BT1 program includes an electric truck for GMC and an electric SUV for Cadillac for the 2023 model year. But before that happens, in 2021 a low volume BT1 pickup will start production under a different brand while a performance truck follows in 2022, and then an electric SUV in 2023.  Rumor has it that these low volume BT1 vehicles could be sold under the Hummer brand, not used since 2010, but that decision has not been finalized.

If GM did bring the Hummer brand back as an EV brand, it would have instant name brand recognition and a leg up on rival startup Rivian who has a truck due out in 2020. GM would not need to spend as much money to market the brand.

The vehicles on the new BT1 platform would use a "skateboard" architecture that bundles the batteries and electric motor together. The architecture is highly flexible allowing GM to build vehicles in front, rear, or all-wheel drive configurations. 

View full article

The HUMVEE(E)? :scratchchin:

I know the H2 wasn't the H1 or HUMVEE, but would still be funny to see the eco-terrorists internally combust and burst into flames like all the Hummer H2's they've burned up :explode:

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:18 PM, dfelt said:

This is exciting, while as a Separate brand to me does not make sense compared to a Hummer package on the GMC brand.

"Hummer package" "Leaking like a punched dike" You and your innuendo's :roflmao:

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, USA-1 said:

"Hummer package" "Leaking like a punched dike" You and your innuendo's :roflmao:

🤷‍♂️ What do you expect, I work in the High Tech Industry. We are all about the innuendo's! :D 

After all after this we get VR Hummer Packages! :P 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jry said:

Interesting. As long as they don't stick that sluggish Inline 5 in it.... Man, was our H3 slow. I ended up giving it to my wife. 

That was a good engine in the Colorado and Canyon... but the H3 was too much for it. 

• Agree 2