2021 Buick Envision - where has the news been on this

Looks much better but still made in China, kind of a deal breaker no?  When it is so easy to purchase a vehicle  made elsewhere.

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 6:07 AM, frogger said:

Looks much better but still made in China, kind of a deal breaker no?  When it is so easy to purchase a vehicle  made elsewhere.

GM makes so few of their vehicles in US anymore.  Encore = Korea, this in China...my TourX was Germany.  I get the 'world market' part of this, but maybe GM will learn that sending most of its production (by model count) outside our borders is a shitty deal.

is this sort of "Buick Mazda CX-5" looking?

I hope it is not SMALLER than the current Envision.......

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 1

Makes the current model disappear, never to be seen again.  Sexy!  Hate its country of origin though.

56 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Makes the current model disappear, never to be seen again.  Sexy!  Hate its country of origin though.

it's unoffensive / attractive but yet you could almost throw any badge on it.  No real 'Buick' cues whatsoever.

But at least you get FOUR cylinders!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, regfootball said:

it's unoffensive / attractive but yet you could almost throw any badge on it.  No real 'Buick' cues whatsoever.

Well, I concede the lower "hockeystick" body line is a relic of GM's ownership of Opel, and it would be much nicer if it came with a V6, at least here in North America...

I would have liked to see interior pics since that is where the real experience is.  I do wish that the Envision came with a V6 but emissions requirements and displacement taxes in China make that almost impossible.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I would have liked to see interior pics since that is where the real experience is.  I do wish that the Envision came with a V6 but emissions requirements and displacement taxes in China make that almost impossible.

Hopefully it is good.. To me the exterior looks nicer than the XT4/Cadillac's CUV design language.

18 hours ago, regfootball said:

GM makes so few of their vehicles in US anymore.  Encore = Korea, this in China...my TourX was Germany.  I get the 'world market' part of this, but maybe GM will learn that sending most of its production (by model count) outside our borders is a $h!ty deal.

is this sort of "Buick Mazda CX-5" looking?

I hope it is not SMALLER than the current Envision.......

100% my thoughts on every point you touched. 

Im not one to discriminate against a country. (I said country. I never discriminate against the people.)(and there are a few countries to which I have saltiness for) 

China’s political leadership stinks. From their bullying of certain territorial waters to their bullying of doing business in China and especially their cover up of Covid 19, I think GM should reconsider wtf they want to do in China going forward. I understand that China has billions of people and GM sees dollar signs, but at what American cost does that mean?

And yes. I sees plenty of Mazda in this. But then again, its a CUV.  They all look the same anyhow. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

100% my thoughts on every point you touched. 

Im not one to discriminate against a country. (I said country. I never discriminate against the people.)(and there are a few countries to which I have saltiness for) 

China’s political leadership stinks. From their bullying of certain territorial waters to their bullying of doing business in China and especially their cover up of Covid 19, I think GM should reconsider wtf they want to do in China going forward. I understand that China has billions of people and GM sees dollar signs, but at what American cost does that mean?

And yes. I sees plenty of Mazda in this. But then again, its a CUV.  They all look the same anyhow. 

Well, if GM did not have China as a market, then Buick would have gone the way of Oldsmobile during BK (well, more like Pontiac). 

The Chinese market saved Buick period.  Yes, the CCP (and its leaders) are very bad by any standard, especially in foreign policy.  But is it rational for GM to ignore the fastest growing auto market on the planet right now?  Is it rational for GM to drop the largest new auto market on the planet?  While I am sympathetic to your POV when it comes to China, I am not sure you (or anyone else) would make such a decision to leave China if you were Mary Barra's current position.

7 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Well, if GM did not have China as a market, then Buick would have gone the way of Oldsmobile during BK (well, more like Pontiac). 

The Chinese market saved Buick period.  Yes, the CCP (and its leaders) are very bad by any standard, especially in foreign policy.  But is it rational for GM to ignore the fastest growing auto market on the planet right now?  Is it rational for GM to drop the largest new auto market on the planet?  While I am sympathetic to your POV when it comes to China, I am not sure you (or anyone else) would make such a decision to leave China if you were Mary Barra's current position.

Again.  

Im 100% in agreement with your sentiment.  No...its NOT rational to quit on the largest automotive car market on the planet.  

My post was more in touch with my emotional side rather than my logical side of thinking. 

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Again.  

Im 100% in agreement with your sentiment.  No...its NOT rational to quit on the largest automotive car market on the planet.  

My post was more in touch with my emotional side rather than my logical side of thinking. 

I completely understand.

• Thanks 1

GM's failure in Europe AND USA is why they had to rely on China.

I'm not terribly bent out of shape about GM's failure in Europe anymore.  If Fiat and PSA are still building cars, that says something...low standards....apart from the homerism to BMW, Merc, VWAG.

GM's pending failure here in the US is partially a product of not producing in the US as much as many other issues.....downsizing interiors and engines, styling miscues, product class miscues, marking huge miscues, caring more about autonomous vehicles and CAFE.....and electric.....

GM can probably offset some losses in China if they lose share there, by growing in other parts of the world not called Europe, and I think they are chipping away at those new opportunities. But then they give up AU...with Holden.....

Really at the end of the day, Buick could be a huge contributor to increasing their US sales based on crossovers, and by building them here.  GM's overall size and class strategy still confuses...is this smaller than the current Envision?  Is it more like the XT4?  The Enspire I HOPE is still coming, and that it is Blazer sized.  A mid-large 2 row ala Edge / Blazer with premium status WOULD help Buick a lot, esp if built in the US.  BUT it also has to look good and GM can't be trusted to put out well styled vehicles but maybe half the time these days.....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have to say I like the look of it! Much better than the current one..

But lack of news kinda shows how important Buick is here in the US sadly.....

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, regfootball said:

Really at the end of the day, Buick could be a huge contributor to increasing their US sales based on crossovers, and by building them here.  GM's overall size and class strategy still confuses...is this smaller than the current Envision?  Is it more like the XT4?  The Enspire I HOPE is still coming, and that it is Blazer sized.  A mid-large 2 row ala Edge / Blazer with premium status WOULD help Buick a lot, esp if built in the US.  BUT it also has to look good and GM can't be trusted to put out well styled vehicles but maybe half the time these days.....

I'm going out on a limb and saying it is longer, lower and wider than the current Envision, and that its styling fools you in the photos, similar to the difference between the original Encore v. the new Encore GX.  Lack of a quarter window, for example, I think fools the eye into thinking it's smaller.  It looks long through the doors, similar to Cadillac's theme with the XT4, imo.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I'm going out on a limb and saying it is longer, lower and wider than the current Envision, and that its styling fools you in the photos, similar to the difference between the original Encore v. the new Encore GX.  Lack of a quarter window, for example, I think fools the eye into thinking it's smaller.  It looks long through the doors, similar to Cadillac's theme with the XT4, imo.

when we see the specs on this vehicle we will know if its an XT4 clone or not.

the XT4 is a lot smaller inside than the envision.  Now, if the new Envision is on the XT4 platform, but has been legnthened and widened, such that it comes out with the same interior space as the current Envision, that is my hope.

I really like the current Envision (no contest vs Equinox and Terrain) apart from where it is built but that is with a deal breaker / caveat.....the dashboard and all its plood is hideous.  Also, the pricing on the Envision can be quite comical.  The pricing and trim packages as GM usually does them is what ultimately dooms the product on the sales chart.  Priced way too high, the cars sit on lots for a year until GM throws rebates at them.  There are still many XT4's from 2019 needing a home, with ridiculous MSRP's that now they have to look at DEEP discounting before anyone will pop.

Edited by regfootball
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, regfootball said:

when we see the specs on this vehicle we will know if its an XT4 clone or not.

the XT4 is a lot smaller inside than the envision.  Now, if the new Envision is on the XT4 platform, but has been legnthened and widened, such that it comes out with the same interior space as the current Envision, that is my hope.

I really like the current Envision (no contest vs Equinox and Terrain) apart from where it is built but that is with a deal breaker / caveat.....the dashboard and all its plood is hideous.  Also, the pricing on the Envision can be quite comical.  The pricing and trim packages as GM usually does them is what ultimately dooms the product on the sales chart.  Priced way too high, the cars sit on lots for a year until GM throws rebates at them.  There are still many XT4's from 2019 needing a home, with ridiculous MSRP's that now they have to look at DEEP discounting before anyone will pop.

The Envisions down here are actually discounted by $5000 or more.  And these are the 2020 models sitting on my local dealer's lot.

https://www.dixiebg.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=Envision&year=2020

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The Envisions down here are actually discounted by $5000 or more.  And these are the 2020 models sitting on my local dealer's lot.

https://www.dixiebg.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=Envision&year=2020

NICE DISCOUNTS ON THOSE......gets the prices almost within line.  about 40 for a premium 2 is not bad, still feels a bit steep but i guess other stuff is 50 and 60k....

These are the top 4 Premium II with 9sp transmission and trailering package plus moonroof.

image.png

• 3 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 8:11 PM, regfootball said:

From some vantage points, without badging, it looks very Mazda-like.

• Upvote 1