2008 Malibu spied!

GMan

It seems a lot of people are being mislead by the camouflage. The C-pillar is nothing like the Passat and Lucerne, although the rear deck and trunk lid etc. may be. Recall the earlier white car caught by KGP (not as well finished or well-photographed as this one), showing more clearly the outline of the rear door and windows (see also pic no 4 in this series). Also, the badge at the rear of the car is not circular as in Brasil, that's just the shape of shape of the camouflage tape covering the standard global bow-tie.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressed! Sorry, I actually like FWD, and even from this covered up example, I can see the car will be a looker. Make mine Blue.

174047[/snapback]

If the interior is hot, powertrains are nice, car is smooth and quiet, I'll take on in blue too. :)

I was a bit put off by the high nose at first. I guess that's for Europe's pedestrian safety thing. However, after looking at several side pics, I like it better, very blocky. I don't see the current Civic at all, thank God. It's a little like Passat, but I see a lot of big Colbalt blended with Impala, which is as ir should be. Don't delude yourselves, the Sebring's a nice piece, and very competitive. However, it, like GM, is saddled on all but the top engine with a 4 speed. The Sebring has all I would look for in a new sedan, it will be interesting to see Chevy's challenge.

They need to avoid Jeep's mistake. The Compass has great looking wheels, but trades them for a cheapo interior. Bling is great, but you can buy it from the aftermarket. Interior detail stays forever.

Hmm, so does the 2008 Malibu launch next spring?

174021[/snapback]

I suspect so. The vehicle in the spy shot is very far along in the developmental process. I would be surprised if GM waited 13 or 14 months to put this on the market. Next spring seems like the most likely date.

I have asked the question also and gotten no response. It seems like GM is being very tight lipped about their sedan plans for next year. But lets look at the pipeline:

Saturn

2007 Aura - on sale now

2008 Aura - to have a Green and Red line

2008 Astra? - unkown but seems very likely

Chevy

2008 Malibu - development appears to be done. Car probably uses much of the engineering for the Aura - so is probably near production ready. I suspect an introduction next spring for the the car with conventional powertrains and a hybrid to follow next fall.

2009 Impala - will probably debut 1st quarter of 2008 on the new RWD platform

Cadillac

2008 CTS - spring debut with the CTS-V to follow a year later. Coupe details still under wraps. I suspect it will follow by six months or so.

2008 STS - summer debut like the SRX this year - updated inside and out

2008 DTS - summer debut with a new six speed transmission and updated Northstar

Pontiac

2009 GP - will probably debut 1st quarter of 2008 on the new RWD platform

Next G6 will be on Epsilon II - can't wait.

Buick

2008 Lucerne - summer debut with a new six speed transmission and updated Northstar. Possible that Buick will finally drop the 3.8L in favor of the 3.6L as the base engine.

2008 LaCrosse Super - early spring 2007 debut with updated inside and out along with the rumored V8 engine.

All this points to a renewed focus on sedans that starts with the Aura now. Spring of 2007 is just 7/8 months away. All brands will be getting very competitive sedans and I'm sure the next Malibu will be excellent.

More photos:

leftlane news

Look at the shot that shows part of the interior. Looks to match the spy photo from a few months ago. Especially on the passenger side.

Posted Image

EDIT:

Does anyone else find it interesting that they have a turn signal on the side of the vehicle? You don't really see that on a sedan/SUV being sold in the US only. Mostly on foreign cars.

Could it be that GM is so confident about the new Malibu that they're going to sell it overseas? Who knows at this point but this could be a nice addition to the European market.

Edited by Cadillacfan

More photos:

leftlane news

Look at the shot that shows part of the interior.  Looks to match the spy photo from a few months ago.  Especially on the passenger side.

Posted Image

EDIT:

Does anyone else find it interesting that they have a turn signal on the side of the vehicle?  You don't really see that on a sedan/SUV being sold in the US only.  Mostly on foreign cars.

Could it be that GM is so confident about the new Malibu that they're going to sell it overseas?  Who knows at this point but this could be a nice addition to the European market.

174303[/snapback]

Maybe put a Buick grill on it and sell it in China, though they do have the new Daewoo Tosca over there as a Chevy for cheaper. I can't really see this being sold in Europe as a Chevy. Chevy Europe is pretty much just Daewoos. What about Brazil? Do they have the side turn signals?

For some reason, it also reminds me of the beautiful Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class-now if you can get a retail Base model with a (good) V-6 engine...

I think he's dead wrong, but GuionM on the Camaro Z28 board thinks this car is a Lucerne based 2008 Impala. 

Not quite. Re-read what I wrote.

I based that on the photographer's report that the car was "much larger" than the current Malibu, and that the roofline very closely resembled the Lucerne. Even the writer of the article was fooled (...but Pontiac Lucerne?... Come on!)

BUT, I also.... in capital letters.....in bold print......and, in the color RED.... printed the word "IF" followed by "this is the new Impala....." because I wasn't completely convinced it was.

I finished the sentence with it "...means a few astounding things", which I listed.

I could see the logic behind the idea of a Lucerne based Impala as a steping stone to the RWD 2010 Impala. The RWD Impala will be a large car, and this idea would be a interim vehicle. Also, there wouldn't be an overlap between the bigger 2008 Malibu and the current Impala (which will be similar in size and sold side by side for awhile).

However, GM's going straight for the prize, no steping stone. Malibu & Impala replacements are going to be drastically different from the current offerings. :)

It looks more like a Chevy version of the Saturn Aura than the Lucerne to me.  I think it's a very attractive car.

173534[/snapback]

You win today's prize...... whatever it is. ;)

Wouldn't it be funny if they actually decided to base the next Malibu on the G-Platform since EPSII wasn't ready yet?!? LOL

Epsilon 2 is over rated. It's simply a wider Espilon structure that's AWD capable.

Seems GM simply decided to use the current (and still relatively new) structure with some upgrades for the new Malibu. The Espilon 2 offers no advantage to a car like the Malibu, at least in the immediate future.

Ep2 is likely going to another division first where AWD is a better fit. This really isn't something that would be fit in with a volume and value divison like Chevrolet, but would be ideal at Pontiac for the next G6 or some future Saab or Opel/Saturn.

Ep2 ISN'T some ultra-modern uber-structure. Basically it's an AWD capable Espilon.

It took them 5 years to adapt the grille from the 2003 SS concept.

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME! :metal:

173712[/snapback]

:lol: I agree!

Edited by guionM

Buick

2008 Lucerne - summer debut with a new six speed transmission and updated Northstar.  Possible that Buick will finally drop the 3.8L in favor of the 3.6L as the base engine.

174254[/snapback]

Where did you hear this? No one else has mentioned this on the site in our numorous discussions we've had in the past.

You know what I really hate...the way the headlights bug out farther than the fenders. Look at the pics from Leftlane.com that were recently added to this thread(pg 6 I think). The Pontiac Grand Prix is like this and it is one of those visual things from the right angle that make me dislike the entore car. Why do automakers design them this way?

Jason

You know what I really hate...the way the headlights bug out farther than the fenders.  Look at the pics from Leftlane.com that were recently added to this thread(pg 6 I think).  The Pontiac Grand Prix is like this and it is one of those visual things from the right angle that make me dislike the entore car.  Why do automakers design them this way? 

Jason

174603[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure the headlamps and taillamps aren't production-ready. So, subject to change.

Where did you hear this?  No one else has mentioned this on the site in our numorous discussions we've had in the past.

174555[/snapback]

I have not heard this explicitly - more putting the pieces together. GM has stated that six speed auto transmission production will ramp up significantly over the next two years - right now they are prioritizing all new or significantly updated vehicles to get them, such as Aura, Lambda and the high end trucks. Since the Lucerne and DTS debuted last year - they will be set for their mid cycle refresh for the 2008 model year. By next fall - I expect that all premium vehicles - be it trucks or sedans will be rid of the old four speed. We know that right now it is the production capacity that is keeping them from the existing cars. The Lucerne and DTS are image cars for GM and when they receive their MCE they will get upgraded powertrains - just as the G6 is getting for this year. By the 2008 model year - expect most of GM sedans to have a version of the FWD six speed transmission.

Cadillac isn't going to sell a $45K sedan with a lower transmission than a G6. The 2008 model year is going to be Buicks big come back - the Enclave, Updated LuCerne and LaCrosse Super. The LaCrosse and the shared W-body platform mates are the only ones that have been specifically earmarked for replacement by Zeta cars and or Epsilon II as in the case of the LaCrosse. They will not get new transmissions becuase they have been tagged for replacement. The LuCerne and DTS on the other hand compete in segments that demand continued refinement and are relatively new - If I am wrong about this - and I hope I'm not - then GM will doom the success that the LuCerne is having right now. We all know that the LuCerne will be around for four more years until it moves to RWD - Buick can not compete with the Lexus ES and Avalone with a four speed forever...

Epsilon 2 is over rated. It's simply a wider Espilon structure that's AWD capable.

How does that make it over rated? Adding AWD opens up the Epsilon platform to endless possibilites and allows GM to produce much more then sedans, coupes, and convertables. They can use the Epsilon platform over and over again for a variety of segments and that would keep costs down.

The head and tail lights are the only mysteries.  We know the basic interior and powertrain info.  From what I have read this car WILL be a hit.

175005[/snapback]

Agreed, but it won't be hard to build a car that looks better inside and out than the current Malibu. If it weren't better - there would be no future for GM.

The head and tail lights are the only mysteries.  We know the basic interior and powertrain info.  From what I have read this car WILL be a hit.

175005[/snapback]

define 'a hit'?

how many Camcord buyers, after years of loyal service to those brands, are going to wander back to a chevy dealership to look at the Malibu?

Goody a better looking 'Bu. I cant wait to see it without that bothersome camo. It looks much better than the current gen and bigger from these pics. Now it only teases my curiosity of how the next Impala will look.

PS: no matter how good the NG Impala looks, given a choice between it and a 300C, i'd have to choose the 300C if they havent screwed it up by then.

If Toyota's keep breaking?

175092[/snapback]

Ding ding ding... that's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Hey... give them product, and it'll get some over to a Chevy dealer. Listen, not 100% of Toyota customers are going to be loyal. As I said, give some good product (nice style, great power, excellent quality--all which Chevy has no reason not to provide), and you'll sway some people over. Keep up the good work, and then the rest will come.

define 'a hit'?

how many Camcord buyers, after years of loyal service to those brands, are going to wander back to a chevy dealership to look at the Malibu?

175044[/snapback]

A model which will capture nearly the same sales as the models it replaces. Even if the next Malibu doesn't pull a single CamCord buyer if it pulls all the current Malibu and Impala buyers then it will be a HUGE hit. 150k/yr approx for current Malibu and 250K/yr for current Impala. 400K per year is a big number for a single model. If the next Malibu can pull that off then it will be a serious challenger for the Camry and Accord.

Now given that the midsize Chevy sedans quality has only improved in the last few years whereas Toyotas has fallen signifigantly with the new Avalaon and 6 speed Camry's and the fact that Toyota just hasn't produced a hugely accepted beautiful design in their history and I can see a well styled high quality quantum leaping forward Malibu pulling quite a few buyers. But only time will tell.

Now given that the midsize Chevy sedans quality has only improved in the last few years whereas Toyotas has fallen signifigantly with the new Avalaon and 6 speed Camry's and the fact that Toyota just hasn't produced a hugely accepted beautiful design in their history and I can see a well styled high quality quantum leaping forward Malibu pulling quite a few buyers.  But only time will tell.

175350[/snapback]

You make unsupported statements about Toyota quality and ellude to consumer persepction changes about Malibu.

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/brand/2006/?c...id=yahoo_brands

Oh GM ... GM ... where for art thou.

just hasn't produced a hugely accepted beautiful design in their history

This was laughable. Well you opinion does not sway the customers of a company that sold more vehicles than Ford for the second July in a row in the US and is the third best overall in the US and second globally.

You make unsupported statements about Toyota quality and ellude to consumer persepction changes about Malibu.

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/brand/2006/?c...id=yahoo_brands

Oh GM ... GM ... where for art thou.

This was laughable.  Well you opinion does not sway the customers of a company that sold more vehicles than Ford for the second July in a row in the US and is the third best overall in the US and second globally.

175369[/snapback]

Actually I didn't comment on consumer perseption about Malibu at all. I wrote of the actual quality which has been good on Malibu and has been rated very well, #1 in initial quality I believe for the past 4 years, in JD Powers. Take that with Toyota's problems on the Avalon with the 6 speed auto which halted production of both the Avalon and Camry for at least a week. Lets not get into the realls because both sides, domestic and import, are pretty bad about this.

Your right MY opinion of Toyota won't sway public perception BUT persistant recalls of new model launches tend to catch the media's attention and that does impact customer perception. Continued recalls and media attention is not something that any manufacturer wants, especially one growing at Toyotas rate.

As growth slows perception of Toyta will drop as well, a leaps and bound pace cannot be sustained forever (see Starbucks for an example).

As for Toyota outselling Ford for July, this and last year. How did they fare the rest of the year? If you win 1 out of 12 do you consider that a winning formula? Where do the market share percents lie? Toyota will have what 14% this year Ford has 18.3% based on this articlethis article. So it seems like Ford still has a little lead on Toyota, out of respect for you I will not continue on a slippery slope of satire that I would if it was someone else.

Actually I didn't comment on consumer perseption about Malibu at all.  I wrote of the actual quality which has been good on Malibu and has been rated very well, #1 in initial quality I believe for the past 4 years, in JD Powers.  Take that with Toyota's problems on the Avalon with the 6 speed auto which halted production of both the Avalon and Camry for at least a week.  Lets not get into the realls because both sides, domestic and import, are pretty bad about this.

Your right MY opinion of Toyota won't sway public perception BUT persistant recalls of new model launches tend to catch the media's attention and that does impact customer perception.  Continued recalls and media attention is not something that any manufacturer wants, especially one growing at Toyotas rate.

As growth slows perception of Toyta will drop as well, a leaps and bound pace cannot be sustained forever (see Starbucks for an example).

As for Toyota outselling Ford for July, this and last year.  How did they fare the rest of the year?  If you win 1 out of 12 do you consider that a winning formula?  Where do the market share percents lie?  Toyota will have what 14% this year Ford has 18.3% based on this articlethis article.  So it seems like Ford still has a little lead on Toyota, out of respect for you I will not continue on a slippery slope of satire that I would if it was someone else.

175379[/snapback]

So what, GM's IQS have gone up. Big deal because it has not generated any more enthusism for the product as measured by sales. And again, even with the bad press from the recent bout with recalls Toyota sales are up for the year. As for this 6 speed recall you keep bringing up, the total number of problematic vehicles were a couple hundred and the problem was corrected. I posted on that subject a while back also so I will not go any further. Thought I will add, at least Toyota has a 6 Speed AVAILABLE in the Camry compared to the Malibu's 4.

Factor in GMs and Fords fleet sales and the true retail difference between the the new Big three is a lot less. I have already crunched the numbers and have posted them on CG in the past few months so I do not need to read second hand reporting.

As for your comments on comparing Ford and Toyota total sales. It was not that long ago when the difference was a million this time of the year instead of a few hundrewd thousand.

Point being of all this, GM with this new Impala? Lucerne? in the spy photos has a long way to go to capture the hearts and minds of the population.

Edited by evok

as soon as word gets out that Toyota is Number 1 they are doomed. The media will be all over them, closely monitoring all of their mistakes. And the bigger you are, the harder you fall. Just ask GM.

Toyota is no longer that little Japanese company that could, they are now the big 500 pound gorilla on the block. People love an underdog, and Toyota cannot keep that small company charm forever, sooner of later, they will get the microscope treatment.

Where it was cool to buy a Toyota over a Chevy because your father drove a Chevy... Well, fathers and grandfathers now drive Toyotas, they are not cool anymore, they have become the status quo.

You will get enough people saying that they would rather drive a Chevy Malibu and be differnet than their father who drove a Camry.

sometimes  :AH-HA_wink:

175390[/snapback]

Yea - your right - I sent back and added "availabe" 6 speed to make things more accurate. Maybe I should have also added the statement, "standard 5 speed in the camry" and "only" before 4.

ha ha

Point being of all this, GM with this new Impala? Lucerne? in the spy photos has a long way to go to capture the hearts and minds of the population.

175389[/snapback]

But they are moving in the right direction. Remember evok's law #1 of car sales product is the key. They are getting there. I think the NG Malibu will be GMs first step into having a competitive car that CAN compete directly with the Camry and Accord. Seriously I know the Malibu isn't going to steal a huge percentage of Camry sales. It will NOT happen, but if it steals a few and keeps its Chevy loyal as well as picking some of say Ford's old Taurus customers and a few from the Chrysler LH cars...then it has a chance. To say it is going to be #1 is rediculous the only way Camry isn't going to eb #1 in the forseeable future is if Toyota has like a full core mental meltdown and changed the name or did something equally as stupid. That being said the Malibu could move up quite a bit in the sales rankings.

PS-I have noticed a change in your attitude toward GM, more pessimistic, any particular reason for that? If you feel like sharing it with us I think it would deserve its own thread.

Yea - your right - I sent back and added "availabe" 6 speed  to make things more accurate.  Maybe I should have also added the statement, "standard 5 speed in the camry" and "only" before 4.

ha ha

175424[/snapback]

heh. that too, but I was making a joke about how the Camry's 6-speed is sometimes a 4-speed.

I think the NG Malibu will be GMs first step into having a competitive car that CAN compete directly with the Camry and Accord.  Seriously I know the Malibu isn't going to steal a huge percentage of Camry sales. 

175427[/snapback]

I'm going to disagree with you. I think the Aura will be that car.

PS-I have noticed a change in your attitude toward GM, more pessimistic, any particular reason for that?  If you feel like sharing it with us I think it would deserve its own thread.

175427[/snapback]

I am not pessimistic on the product GM will come out with. Far from it. I just have my doubts about the public even caring no matter how good the product is.

IMO - I really like the new MALIBU built off EPSILON. I think it is the right direction.

But it is not my opinion that matters, it is the the import owners that need to be convinced.

That is where the pessimism comes into play.

Oh I assure you my pessimism for an OEM is elsewhere.

I have to agree with you Evok. Gm has tarnished it's own reputation - and a single car isn't going to overcome that. You need decades of reliability & good marketing to sway public opinion. As a GM fan, it *is* great to see GM incrementally improving their position: efficiency, reliability, initial quality, plant capacity and styling.

While the Malibu looks markably better than the current version, I'd by no means say it's a 'wow - that's gonna pull some people into the dealerships' -- which seldom cars do. GM can do it with a combination of things. Give your cars some style & make the powertrain super competitive - either with power or gas mileage. This was Nissan's formula - and now Mazda's. Of course, all this is almost meaningless unless you can market yourself properly (which something GM has been horrid with). I honestly wonder if GM's marketing staff have the mental capacity to dress and feed themselves..

I honestly wonder if GM's marketing staff have the mental capacity to dress and feed themselves..

175463[/snapback]

I wish there was a way for us <the enthusiasts> to interact <not just drop suggestions in the box> with the marketing department of GM.

Place ads on a secure website with a limited member base <the membership of C&G> and have us review the ads.

Heck, we'd all do it for free. They won't have to pay for focus groups anymore AND the GM enthusiasts would get a measure of mental "ownership" in an ad campaign.

I'm a cost saver. :AH-HA_wink:

Wow! long thread and huge interest for what amounts to a bread and butter type of car. I take that as a good sign. I'd say it stands a good chance against the incredibly ugly Camry. At least it appears that Chevy is bringing its fists to the fight this time.

And, here's a wonder, I actually like the lines of this car. Haven't said that about too many FWD sedans- ever.

A few things-what's an OEM? Great suggestion Oldsmoboi-that's one of those jobs I wouldn't mind doing for free anyway-suggesting (serious, legitimate) ideas to my favorite automotive companies to make their vehicles better. They could pay me/us if they wanted to, but $0 paychecks are worth it in this case too! Any chance of the High Value engines being eschewed for the High Feature V-6's this time? And how about Chevy cutting back on the trim lines? I mean there is no sense in a 2LT, 3LT, etc. Let's make it simpler with CS, LS, LT, and LTZ! (Note, no SS-that would be RWD V-8 cars and trucks ONLY!)

(Note, no SS-that would be RWD V-8 cars and trucks ONLY!)

175478[/snapback]

I disagree on this point that SS can't be for FWD. When you have Mazda MazdaSpeed6's, Focus SVTs, Cobalt SS, Grand Prix GXP, Golf GTi all running around out there, a Malibu SS makes sense... even if it's FWD... as long as it's done right.

It looks like it's got the looks. It definately has the potential to be bad ass looking. Give it the moves to back it up and Chevy will have a winner.

I'll agree that not all Chevys should have an SS model, but I don't see any reason there can't be a Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, Camaro, Trailblazer <this already has proven it's worth>, and maybe Avalanche and Silverado.