2008 Malibu spied!

GMan

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's dead wrong, but GuionM on the Camaro Z28 board thinks this car is a Lucerne based 2008 Impala. 

http://64.65.63.61/forums/showthread.php?p...476#post4005476

173563[/snapback]

I think the lineage is given away by the location of the fuel filler door. This model and the Aura have the filler in the same location on the passenger side. The Lucerne fuel filler is located on the drivers side. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this a "hard point" on a platfrom that isn't likely to be changed?

A very handsome car, it must be new the malibu as we've heard numerous reports that the Malibu will grow to better compete with Camry and allow Impala to go RWD and do battle with the 300 and Charger. Engine lineup, 3.5 and 3.6 with 6 speed autos all around?

Look at the opposite rear window in this pic, I think it has the answer:

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/upl.../Impala%203.jpg

173641[/snapback]

Ahh..rather Jetta-like rear door upper treatment.

Edited by moltar

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, the update of the HHR will most likely have the same front end as the concept.

The new Malibu is shaping up to be a beautiful sedan that shows us that GM has been studying Toyota and Honda closely. The side profile gives me a new Camry vibe to it. Though, the huge ass grille will certainly not confuse this vehicle with it's competitors.

The Ford and DCX execs must be S#*@ing their pants after seeing how serious GM is getting with taking on Japan's big three. Makes the Fusion and new Sebring look very half-assed from what little I've seen so far. Which is a good start in my opinion.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Hmmm...I'll wait to make comments when I see real world pics. As of right now, my first impression of the picture on the homepage is that this is simply a rebadged and re-fascia'd Aura. That front 3/4 view gives a strong nod to the greenhouse shape of the Aura. However, from the side shots I do see how some are comparing it to a Lucerne. Can someone throw up some side-by-side pics of the Aura and this spy shot?

Hmmm...I'll wait to make comments when I see real world pics.  As of right now, my first impression of the picture on the homepage is that this is simply a rebadged and re-fascia'd Aura.  That front 3/4 view gives a strong nod to the greenhouse shape of the Aura.  However, from the side shots I do see how some are comparing it to a Lucerne.  Can someone throw up some side-by-side pics of the Aura and this spy shot?

173668[/snapback]

I don't think it's a modified Aura..probably has some parts in common--windshield, front doors, but the rear quarters are shaped differently, as are the back doors and C-pillar.

if the Impala was redesigned (or something like that) about a year ago, it would make no sence to say that this car is the new impala!! where the common sence?!!

173780[/snapback]

Well, the thing DOES look too common compared to the competition. Terrible styling, I must admit.

malibu looks great right now, period.

173780[/snapback]

I sure hope you mean these Malibu spyshots because the '07 Malibu is not very handsome. Edited by NOS2006

The Ford and DCX execs must be S#*@ing their pants after seeing how serious GM is getting with taking on Japan's big three.  Makes the Fusion and new Sebring look very half-assed from what little I've seen so far.  Which is a good start in my opinion.

173666[/snapback]

Yep. the Fusion and the new Sebring look ordinary compared to the new Bu.

Its way too big to be a Malibu. The Lucerne is bigger than the Malibu...which means it cant be a Malibu.

173437[/snapback]

No, it's not to big to be the Malibu. Size wise, it looks perfect, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it's within a few inches of the Camry in ever dimension, as it should be.

As for the Lucerne, don't believe it's a sister car to the Maliub because the article says it may be... after all, as far as they're concerned, it's the Pontiac Lucerne.

I'd say Malibu Epsilon II...

after looking at the saturn Aura... i'd say it looks similar to the aura instead of a full size... currently the Impala is too small to be a full size and too big for a midsized

173749[/snapback]

No it won't be on Epsilon II. The 2008 Malibu will be the last car developed on the Epsilon I platform. The next generation Saab 9-5 will be the first to use the Epsilon II followed by the next generation Pontiac G6 and Buick LaCrosse. I don't have any issues with the Epsilon I platform - my problem is with the powertrains and interiors that have been placed on these. It seems as though GM is finally taking care of this. The Aura is a huge improvement over the Malibu and G6. I hope that this 2008 Malibu gets a good interior and six speed auto.

When I saw the white car my thoughts were 'rebadged Aura', but it seems the c-pillar and the way it flows into the trunk are very different from the Aura and the G6.

173793[/snapback]

I have a feeling that the doors and windows are identical to those on the Aura. The C-pillar does seem to have a different shape to it though.

Wow. It does look GM is doing its homework and laying off the half-ass pipe. I guess we'll see if it's true after a glimpse at the interior and powertrain. This thing looks pretty good, especially with the SS concept grille/front end styling. I hope the round taillights stay, too.

When I first saw it, Imapla/Sonata (sides), Civic/Lucerne (rear) and Camry (front) came to mind. Not a really bad thing but I believe the grille and round taillights will help distinguish it from the midsize crowd.

I like what I see so far. Sign me up for a V8 with DOD and good highway mileage!

173837[/snapback]

V8 not likely. I'd rather see a competitive V6 like the 3.6L in the Aura and G6 mated to the new six speed auto. The Impala will always carry the V8 package - not the Malibu.

The height of the upper grille opening isn't to my preferrence as a third! inlet. I suppose I'll have to wait until the mask comes off; however, I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint like the fugly Camry does.

Love-it-or-hate-it styling is something GM only tinkers with. I've rarely seen them take the risk.

...and this,

Hankook Optima shoes

... makes me cringe. The tires absolutely suck, though only being marginally better than the Goodyear RS/A's that GM can't seem to figure out how to stop using.

Oops, I forgot. Don'tcha see much cues here for the front? ...you all know this image, and who to credit for it:

Posted Image

Edited by ShadowDog