Chevy Shows Malibu, Announces Fairfax Investment

CSpec

Beautiful car. I really like the front end in the "whole car" pic, and the drop-off of the rear deck is classy and different from the modern norm. This, along with the smashing interior depictions we've seen, should let the world know GM design is back in a big way.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Impala and the Monte (2006 +) have a single snout.  Check them out.

On the trucks, there tends to be a taller expanse, so I don't notice it as much.  Plus, being a car-only type of person, I don't notice truck styling to the extent I notice car styling.

229565[/snapback]

The Impala has a split grille. Just that they put the Chevy bowtie in the middle of the smaller snout.

Posted Image

I think it looks pretty sexy, but does anyone else think it looks like it's on the same platform as the Lucerne? Based on the pics I've seen so far, it looks like Buick's sibling with a Chevy treatment. I'm not complaining, either. :scratchchin: ..

Edited by Allen K

The Impala has a split grille. Just that they put the Chevy bowtie in the middle of the smaller snout.

Posted Image

229602[/snapback]

OK, TC, but it seems to function as a bumper in Impala/MC so it makes it seem like one snout "above the bumper;" the grouping is odd in the 'Bu IMHO.

Poor GM and other domestics.  I order to sell a car in this segment, they have to make it look Japanese.

While it looks refined and clean.....it looks vanilla Japanese now.  Makes me appreciate the wierdness of the Sebring more now.

229575[/snapback]

Sorry, but :lol: :rotflmao:

OK, TC, but it seems to function as a bumper in Impala/MC so it makes it seem like one snout "above the bumper;" the grouping is odd in the 'Bu IMHO.

229610[/snapback]

Well. the new 'Bu's lower snout is in the bumper as well, just that the bumper on the Impala is more pronounced (thus the lower snout), making less resemblance to the corporate face.

Poor GM and other domestics.  I order to sell a car in this segment, they have to make it look Japanese.

While it looks refined and clean.....it looks vanilla Japanese now.  Makes me appreciate the wierdness of the Sebring more now.

229575[/snapback]

Please. :lol:

Designing a refined, tastefully-styled (and well-proportioned) sedan is far more of an accomplishment than mashing together a mess of awkward styling cues for the simple sake of being different.

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Sharp product. Bold and distinctive.

The styling is great. For some reason, it makes me think of GM products of the very late Sixties and very early Seventies -- particularly the Chevelle (for some odd reason). GM's willing to take risks. And you can see the proof in the details -- hood cutline, bold shield-style grille with thick center bar, interesting rear belt/decklid line treatment that tapers off, (what appears to be at this angle) the semi-formal D-pillar treatment, tasteful wheels, the lack of things like rub strips that detract from the clean, fresh design.

GM has a home run on its hands. I can't wait for future products -- they are going to be stunning.

Give the DCX Kool-Aid a break. I will admit the Sebring looks almost decent in person, but the Malibu has ripped that car apart. I expect it to show in sales, too, to be honest.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The Impala nose makes me think of a modern interpretation of the '72 Impala grille (one of my favorites of the classic Impalas).

From the angle of the photos, the upper rear door and C-pillar kind of reminds me of the Jetta or Phaeton.

Someone mentioned the absence of projector bulb lights on the 'bu..I'm sure it's a cost issue (what's the per-unit cost of projector bulbs vs. regular?), the same reason it will probably have a 4spd automatic. After all, Avis doesn't care if it has projector bulbs or not..

Edited by moltar

ive seen the car in person at a GM dealer function. it is stunning. this is a home run for GM! amazing how close the SS concepts grille was ...identical..and hoodlines arent far off. i dont expect to see a 4spd auto for long! oh and no one has mentioned it will be available in HYBRID right out of the chute!

"curb weight of 3700 lbs is porky for its class"

229549[/snapback]

yeah, a 2007 altima v6 with stick weighs 3300 pounds. However, I typically forgive Chevy and Ford for some occasional porkiness because I know their sheetmetal and other components stand up better in harsh winter driving environments. Some of the starch brands have really thin sheetmetal, you can't even lean the broom against the car without it denting.

Is it just me, but does the UNEQUAL split between the upper and the lower grille (and it's pretty damn obvious) bother anyone else? 

I worry about stuff like this on buildings I work on, so you can bet I will notice it on a car.  It detracts from the car's look, like it was a mistake.

Otherwise, damn fine job, Chevrolet.  What, with $ 2.50 a gallon for gas, no 2.2 Ecotec with a few extra "ponies" for the cheapskates (I'm including myself) out there?

229556[/snapback]

live a little Bob, mullions don't always need to be 5'-0" O.C.

OOh wait, did I say that, that will get me fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!

229575[/snapback]

your comment just dawned on me, the Malibu actually looks like a pumped up Jetta.

not a bad thing really. it doesn't look like a pu$$y girl car like a Jetta does. There's a hint of A4 C pillar in the back.

does anyone see some 2008 CTS in the rear quarter?

You know, I like this thing better than the Aura. I hope the interior is up to snuff. this is a classy looking car. If they botch the interior, chevy is screwed. the 3.6/6 speed BETTER BE AVAILABLE. from launch. The 07 Altima has my love right now, but this is nice also. If the details are done right, it could be a tie.

My daughter is learning how to use the potty right now. Those Camry pictures remind of what turd looks like. A shapeless, soft, yucky, smelly turd that can't shift gears to save it own life.

Edited by regfootball

Like I said....it looks nice and refined.......but it IS A CAMRY:

229635[/snapback]

I'm seriously not convinced. And I've left and returned with about 5 minutes in between just to make sure I'm not retarded.

I just prefer that American cars come up with their own unique design, rather than follow the Japanese.

229635[/snapback]

Even if the American designs you're looking at are ugly? Name 5 attractive Dodge/Chrysler/Ford cars. Now name 5 attractive Dodge/Chrysler/Ford SUVs. Stumped, aren't ya?

GM needs homerun designs to build excitement about their brands. This is not a homerun. I'm sorry, the front looks like the freakin Uplander. I think it is really ugly. Maybe GM should hire the guy who did the chop of the Malibu a couple of days ago. It looked more refined.

I really like this new Malibu.. I have a 06 G6 right now and im thinking this will be my next car.. this is the best epsilion yet.. the top engine will be the 3.6L dohc with 6 spd auto.. with the 2.4L and 3.5L as the other choices.. those will have 4 spd auto's.. the 2.4L will could also be availible with a 5 spd manual.. the 3.9L will not be availiable.. im hoping the interior looks as good as the exterior..

i also prefer yellowjacket's photochop. i was just saying in that thread that he was close on the final design, and he was very close, but I like that one better. I need to see the whole car....

yes, it has a great stance. yes, the details are there. yes, the fit and finish are phenomonal. yes, it looks classy, and the comparisons to audi and VW are right on. yes, i love that it has euro written all over it, and yes it looks great. BUT, I don't know, there's something about it, that lacks great character. It's the headlights that bother me that do look like every recent GM design, especially the Lucerne. And why am I getting such a Lucerne vibe from every detail....

I need to see the whole car. Right now, I'm not quite sure what all the gushing was about...

and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm almost agreeing with brewswillis here. whoa whoa, not to the extremes he's going, but saying it follows other trends is true. I feel like the Aura has more character and more potential in its design language......this is a nice family car, is very luxurious, has lots of masculinity, which is cool, but I gotta say I like the Aura's face better right now. With this picture, and at this moment. With time, I'm sure I will love this and respect it for being the right design for the right car at right time. Or will I?

And does this really stand out? No.

My friend who is only a casual car fan just said it was like GM used the Aura again. I forgot to add that this and the Aura would still be my favorite midsize sedans, but I gotta say I expected this to blow the Aura away, or at least surpass it. It didn't, to me at least.

Detail-wise it's easy to confuse this with the Aura, since the same concepts are used everywhere, which is not what I'm getting at. I'm talking about the look of the car, it's not really better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ehh, I'm not seeing it.. Although it lacks the chrome of the Aura, I think the Malibu looks much more mature and elegant in comparison.

229713[/snapback]

detailing wise, the malibu has it all over the aura, it looks a bit more sophisticated and expensive. but swap out the bumper of the aura for the redline bumper, and that car is damn fine. with the new malibu, we have seen the best of what it will look like, at least the front fascia, and it's represented in this gray car. that's what i mean by potential.

EDIT: remember the concept aura is supposed to be representative of what the aura redline [which by the way needs to come out soon, like this upcoming year]. i'll take that car over this one any day of the year. [except the interior of the malibu will probably be better]

Edited by turbo200

one thing we can all agree on is: thank God GM finally got around to producing good looking sedans, that can definitely compete! well, i might add. at least from a stylistic standpoint. finally the days of ugly [malibu, sorry bu owners] and odd proportions [G6] are gone!

It's a nice effort.  It's like GM is trying again.  I much prefer the styling over the Aura, which has always looked like a warmed over G6 to me.

229722[/snapback]

that's true too. aura does look too much like G6, and I'm not fond of the greenhouse and rear portion of the roof, though I think the extended fender flares of the concept would help.

just went over to cz28 and I confirmed some of my opinions are shared by many.

I think it looks pretty sexy, but does anyone else think it looks like it's on the same platform as the Lucerne? Based on the pics I've seen so far, it looks like Buick's sibling with a Chevy treatment. I'm not complaining, either. :scratchchin: ..

229603[/snapback]

I agree, cover up the front end and this thing screams Lucerne to me, even down to the wheels!! Too similar to not be similar. Don't get me wrong though, I like the Lucerne but there is no reason to have two of them in GM's lineup.

LEt me say this: I've seen the car in person..........and love it.

Then I saw the red picture today -- and said to myself...."man......we need to get another photographer 'cause that's a horrible picture........"

I think you should withhold judgement until you see it in person..............NAIAS is first show..........

This was said by fbodfather over at cz28.com. We know he's an insider and he even agrees that the red picture sucks. The black one is small and undetailed. Let's wait for high-res pics...

I agree, cover up the front end and this thing screams Lucerne to me, even down to the wheels!! Too similar to not be similar. Don't get me wrong though, I like the Lucerne but there is no reason to have two of them in GM's lineup.

229740[/snapback]

Yeah I also noticed a striking similarity to the Lucerne... The Lucerne is much bigger though.

Well. the new 'Bu's lower snout is in the bumper as well, just that the bumper on the Impala is more pronounced (thus the lower snout), making less resemblance to the corporate face.

229626[/snapback]

We'll have to agree to disagree - I think the execution on the Impy/MC is cleaner.

So, does anybody have any pictures of the rump on this sled? It is pinhole circular lamps a la Cobalt?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just prefer that American cars come up with their own unique design, rather than follow the Japanese.

229635[/snapback]

Um, other than the fact that they are both black midsize sedans, I don't get your comparison. Their grilles, lines, headlights, etc. are all pretty different. Don't try and tell me that the Toyota Camry is not a watered-down BMW either. Put any of the BMW series next to a Camry and you can see where the styling came from.

Also, take a look at a Cobalt's front end. The hood/headlight, grille setup is very similar to that Malibu's. I believe the Cobalt was released before the Camry, correct?

The rear part of the greenhouse has a little too much Jetta in it. It seems like we've run out of design ideas when the expanses in sheetmetal are constrained.

Edited by trinacriabob

Posted Image

Posted Image

229635[/snapback]

Dude, have your eyes looked at...also...this is like a million times better looking than the Sebring...and this is coming from a Mopar enthusiast!