CSpec

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this photo. I'm getting a slight Avalon vibe

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not necessarily a bad thing considering the Avalon is priced much higher.

229705[/snapback]

I'm feeling more Accord, but the Avalon is an Accord ripoff anyway.

Just when you think the seperated-at-birth previous generations of Accord and Camry finally differentiate themselves from each other, Toyota comes out with that facsimilie.

Overall, though I like the Malibu, There's quite a lot of SS concept in the nose. I just don't like the Accord C-pillar. They could have taken that off of the SS too, and made one hell of a car.

Edited by Turbojett

Dude, have your eyes looked at...also...this is like a million times better looking than the Sebring...and this is coming from a Mopar enthusiast!

229779[/snapback]

I never thought the Sebring was that great looking from the first pics I've seen.....and I haven't seen more than a couple on the streets. But what I am glad about, is that it doesn't look like a Camcorbu. And after seeing the following pics, I'm actually starting to like it. I even saw a commercial today where it looked pretty sweet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really hope the Bu looks better in person, but from the only pic, it looks like a Camcord. :(

This Malibu is clearly the best midsizer from GM since the 1997 Malibu. I hope this time they make it hypercompetitive with the Camcord. Please! Chevy do it right, avoid the foolish mistakes of Pontiac & Saturn(partial opening line-up,etc.). It would be cool if Chevy shocked everybody with a bold line-up and a bold list of engines and transmissions.

I hope that Chevy sets up the following line-up for this great car.

LS $18k 2.4L 167hp I-4 5 speed man/5spd auto

LS V-6 $20k 3.5L 224hp V-6 5 speed man/5spd auto

LT $20k 2.4L 167hp I-4 5 speed man/6spd auto

Sport $22k 2.4L 167hp I-4 6spd man

LT V-6 $24k 3.6L 275hp V-6 5spd man/6spd auto

LTZ $24k 2.4L 167hp I-4 6spd Auto

Sport V-6 $26k 3.6L 275hp V-6 6spd manual

LTZ V-6 $28k 3.6L 275hp V-6 6spd auto

Of course, I could be wrong, :lol: . The Impala would go further upscale. I'd expect it to be priced against both the Charger and 300.

Very Nice !!!,,,good bye camry !!!...this car has Everthing that should have had, but then they cant originate anything anyway, lead....follow,

...Or get **** outta the way !....GM ROCKS THE WORLD !!!

If this is the new platform for Caddy too, and Saturn, and Opel and Holden and Vauxhall...LOOK OUT !!!

Best looking car in it's class by FAR! Honestly my GM bias aside,

that's how I feel. The only cars that even come close are the G6

and Aura. The new Altima is lame, and the new mid sizers are

all freaky. The Avenger chops I've seen were not too bad but

the Sebring and the new Granada tripplets are all lame IMHO.

I will throw out one complaint that struck me almost immediately

when I saw this: the hood is remeniscent of late 50's Fords in

terms of size: not much access it looks like. Seems to be a new

trend... petite hoods on not so petite cars. This wil turn out to be

a PITA when it comes to maintenence. i'd rather see a clamshell

like the MINI's versus this. <_<

This Malibu is clearly the best midsizer from GM since the 1997 Malibu. I hope this time they make it hypercompetitive with the Camcord. Please! Chevy do it right, avoid the foolish mistakes of Pontiac & Saturn(partial opening line-up,etc.). It would be cool if Chevy shocked everybody with a bold line-up and a bold list of engines and transmissions.

Of course, I could be wrong, :lol: . The Impala would go further upscale. I'd expect it to be priced against both the Charger and 300.

229798[/snapback]

Knowing GM, your lineup, drop all the manuals and replace the 5 Auto with the 4T45-E is probably what we'll get, minus the LTZ 4-cyl.

not bad. not bad at all.  actually damn handsome from the side. with the choice of fusion or this, why the f**k would anyone choose camry?

229851[/snapback]

The Camry doesn't sell on styling..it sells on Consumer Reports rankings, reputation, resale value, word-of-mouth..

Um guys, maybe its just me, but the Green house and rear quarters remind me of the Acura TL, even up front a little....

Posted Image

This was th ebest pic I could find in a hurry where both cars are pictured from similar angles

Posted Image

not bad. not bad at all.  actually damn handsome from the side. with the choice of fusion or this, why the f**k would anyone choose camry?

229851[/snapback]

I'd choose the new Malibu over both the Camry and Fusion. I think both the Fusion and Camry are unattractive looking, if I had to choose between the two I'd probably pick the Camry. Sorry but the Fusion's altezzaish lights are a definite turn off for me.

229798[/snapback]

That lineup would be insanely bliss-hot if it were real. Too bad it's unlikely that any manual will be offered.

I'll take a 2.4 Sport.

I really think if they give this car a good line-up , engines, and transmissions the Malibu could easily come out of the gate in 3rd place behind the Accord. After all, who's still gonna want an Impala after this car comes out. Looks like the Impala will be largely fleet sales for 2008. Thank God, the Zeta Impala is on its way for 2009.

I am a bit underwhelmed so far with what I have seen. Hardly a car to drool over. The front end looks interesting and thanfully different than a bland pigish Camry or sterile Accord but it looks as though GM has blandified the side of the car with the same exact slab sided look that everything from a Camry to a Avalon to every BMW seems to be shoving down our throats. All these new cars without a side protective strip will look ok for the first few weeks, that is until the wife takes the car to a store and comes home with a lot full of door jams. If the current Malibu can have this then why not the new one. I swear these idiot car companies must be in cahoots with Dent Doctor!

Styling looks sharp. But what do we know about substance? Will the new 'Bu offer Bluetooth? Satnav? Stability control? I'm curious...will GM at least make optional the kind of high tech gizmos that are available on cars like the Camry and Altima?

229926[/snapback]

Since not even the the Aura offers a navigation unit - I seriously doubt the Malibu will have one.

Posted Image

KANSAS CITY, Kan. – General Motors is investing $208 million in the Fairfax Assembly plant to prepare the facility for production of the all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.

The investment covers expansion of the plant’s body shop and the purchase of equipment needed to make the new Malibu . The plant currently builds the Malibu , Malibu MAXX and Saturn Aura, with a Hybrid Saturn Aura scheduled for release in early 2007.

The announcement was made at the plant today during a ceremony that included representatives from GM and the UAW, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, U.S. Representative Dennis Moore, Kansas City Mayor Joe Reardon and other elected officials.

“This investment is a testament to the hard work of the Fairfax employees, the UAW and local and state elected officials to make the plant and business environment competitive,” said Larry Zahner, GM North America Manufacturing Manager. “GM thanks Gov. Sebelius and the Unified Government for working tirelessly to make the State of Kansas and Wyandotte County attractive to business investments.”

Gov. Sebelius led an effort to eliminate the machinery and equipment tax, which will apply to new business investments, such as the one occurring at Fairfax Assembly. Local and state elected officials also were instrumental in securing additional incentives to support the GM investment.

“This is an important step for GM to level the playing field with its competitors in the United States ,” said Fairfax Plant Manager Paul Marr. “It also demonstrates that when business, labor and government work together, we can create an environment where manufacturing can thrive.”

Even with the incentives, Fairfax Assembly will continue to pump millions of dollars into the local and state economies, Marr said. The plant typically pays more than $11 million in real and personal property taxes and the plant’s 2,900 employees receive more than $200 million in pay, much of it pumped into the local and state economies through taxes and personal spending.

“This is a great confidence builder for our members as we move into the next generation of building vehicles at Fairfax Assembly,” said UAW Local 31 Chairman John Melton. “This is a plus. The future of Fairfax Assembly greatly impacts our community as members generously contribute time and money to various schools, churches, charities and local nonprofit organizations.”

Each year Fairfax employees contribute nearly $700,000 to various charitable causes.

Fairfax employees have been honored numerous times for their work, including first place in the entry mid-size cars segment in the 2005 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study and a silver medal in the 2006 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety “Top Safety Picks” awards for the current Malibu . Additionally, both the 2007 Saturn Aura and 2007 Chevy Malibu and Malibu MAXX received the highest safety rating from the National Institute of Highway Safety.

With its current lineup, Fairfax is playing a critical role in GM’s turnaround efforts, as well as increasing market share in the mid-size car segment.

"The all-new 2008 Malibu builds on the success of the current model assembled in Fairfax , and we're proud to have these same employees building the new car with such a high level of quality," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet General manager. "The 2008 Malibu design brings new proportions and a fresh perspective to the mid-size car market, and Fairfax employees are going to help us execute an upscale look and feel with more premium materials and a new level of refinement in this extremely competitive segment.”

The all-new Malibu , which will make its debut in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit , will go on sale in the fourth quarter of 2007. With its dual-port grille design, the 2008 Malibu represents the new face of Chevrolet. It boasts a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance with a longer hood and shorter deck appearance that conveys motion, agility and attitude. The new Malibu also features a number of striking and progressive interiors that use premium materials to demonstrate quality and value not seen before in this segment.

229385[/snapback]

anyone seen any pics of the rear? I hope it's as nice as the front...

Since not even the the Aura offers a navigation unit - I seriously doubt the Malibu will have one.

229928[/snapback]

Shame. GM is getting it right with the Silverado/Sierra twins. I mean, look what you can get now on a GM pickup truck! Satnav, power glass sunroof, power rear windows in the extended cab, exceptional styling inside and out. :thumbsup:

GM needs to attack the mid-size sedan market with a vengeance. I'm tired of excuses. Please don't bring out a well-designed sedan hampered by rental car attributes.

229798[/snapback]

LOL, 5 and 6 speed auto's. Man, you are too funny. I mean really, like comedian funny. Maybe you should go on SNL or something. Who do you think you are dealing with here, GM or Toyota? 5 and 6 speed auto's... I'm still laughing. Why would GM do that when they could use technology from 25 years ago?

LOL, 5 and 6 speed auto's. Man, you are too funny. I mean really, like comedian funny. Maybe you should go on SNL or something. Who do you think you are dealing with here, GM or Toyota? 5 and 6 speed auto's...  I'm still laughing. Why would GM do that when they could use technology from 25 years ago?

229957[/snapback]

LOL! Why would GM actually try to be competitive when they can just pretend its 1981,lol!

I never thought the Sebring was that great looking from the first pics I've seen.....and I haven't seen more than a couple on the streets.  But what I am glad about, is that it doesn't look like a Camcorbu.  And after seeing the following pics, I'm actually starting to like it.  I even saw a commercial today where it looked pretty sweet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really hope the Bu looks better in person, but from the only pic, it looks like a Camcord.  :(

229788[/snapback]

I have to admit, those are some good angles. The Sebring's best angles are from the front 3/4th where the awkward shape of the greenhouse is not so apparent. I saw one of them today. Honestly, if the greenhouse sloped more smoothly into the decklid, it would look a lot better. It doesn't look integrated at all.

Shame. GM is getting it right with the Silverado/Sierra twins. I mean, look what you can get now on a GM pickup truck! Satnav, power glass sunroof, power rear windows in the extended cab, exceptional styling inside and out.  :thumbsup:

GM needs to attack the mid-size sedan market with a vengeance. I'm tired of excuses. Please don't bring out a well-designed sedan hampered by rental car attributes.

229943[/snapback]

nav could easily be made available in both aura and malibu. i think if we all continue bitching enough about it, it might just come to fruition :CG_all:

LOL, 5 and 6 speed auto's. Man, you are too funny. I mean really, like comedian funny. Maybe you should go on SNL or something. Who do you think you are dealing with here, GM or Toyota? 5 and 6 speed auto's...  I'm still laughing. Why would GM do that when they could use technology from 25 years ago?

229957[/snapback]

Actually, the Malibu will have the 6-speed on the 3.6 at the start, and later on (6 months after production or so) it will get the 6-speed on the 2.4 as well.

Actually, the Malibu will have the 6-speed on the 3.6 at the start, and later on (6 months after production or so) it will get the 6-speed on the 2.4 as well.

229981[/snapback]

Please, please, please don't castrate the 6-speed auto like Ford did in the Fusion (6 speeds, driver gets to select between Drive and Low only) :stupid:

Will the new Malibu offer a manu-matic?

Definitely need more manual transmissions across the board. American automakers in general seem to shy away from them, when others continue to offer the choice. The black pic is better, but I can't wait to see it next month.

Please, please, please don't castrate the 6-speed auto like Ford did in the Fusion (6 speeds, driver gets to select between Drive and Low only)  :stupid:

Will the new Malibu offer a manu-matic?

229983[/snapback]

I'm willing to bet it's like the current Malibu, where there's a thumb button to select the gear in M.

Actually, the Malibu will have the 6-speed on the 3.6 at the start...

...and later on (6 months after production or so) it will get the 6-speed on the 2.4 as well.

This sounds great and all, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Too bad the 3.5 will be the best selling engine and it's the one getting a 4 speed. (Isn't it?)

Definitely need more manual transmissions across the board. American automakers in general seem to shy away from them, when others continue to offer the choice. The black pic is better, but I can't wait to see it next month.

230020[/snapback]

That's how Camrys start at $18,270 and Accords at $18,625.

But when you add automatics and destination (as with GM cars), basic LE/LX models average $21K MSRP.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm willing to bet it's like the current Malibu, where there's a thumb button to select the gear in M.

Doubt it. I'd say chances are good we'll see TAPshift paddles in the new 'Bu.

Go to Toyota dealer and ask to see a manual Camry. See how long the salesperson laughs and if they have one, it is parked "in another storage lot"

Real buyers dont want manuals in sedans anymore. Look at most new Beemers sold, they have autos in them. Try trading in a manual non luxury make 4 door, you will take a bath, or not even get an offer.