Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

First Look: 2008 Chrysler 300

Flybrian

First Look: 2008 Chrysler 300
A Classic with Stunning Design, Exhilarating Performance and Sophisticated Interior
Posted Image

Auburn Hills, Mich., Sep 1, 2007 - Loaded with premium features, stunning Chrysler design, fuel-saving technology and abundant standard safety features, the 2008 Chrysler 300 continues to make everything else on the road seem ordinary.
The dramatic exterior design of the Chrysler 300 has been refreshed for 2008 with minor changes to the front and rear fascias and tailamps and a new rear deck lid that incorporates an SRT-inspired integrated spoiler and relocated high-mounted stop light. However, the classic proportions of long hood, short deck and dramatic profile remain to give the Chrysler 300 its continued award-winning, stunning presence for 2008.

The sophisticated interior design of the Chrysler 300 has been enhanced for 2008 with a new instrument panel and center console design, highlighted with satin silver bezels. Soft-touch surfaces on arm rests and door panels, and a newly designed and relocated cruise control stalk, add to the comfortable interior. Available light-emitting diode (LED) lighting in the front cup holders and front- and rear-door map pockets provide additional driver convenience.

New entertainment and communications options on the 2008 Chrysler 300 include a Boston Acoustics eight-speaker 5.1 Matrix Surround Sound system, SIRIUS Backseat TV™ and MyGIG™ Multimedia Infotainment System with optional navigation.

In addition, seat-mounted air bags have been added to the front and rear side-curtain air bags for increased driver and passenger safety.

The 5.7-liter HEMI®-powered Chrysler 300C offers a "Fuel Saver Mode" display, included as part of the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) that tells drivers when they are in four-cylinder mode, allowing them to modify their driving habits for improved fuel efficiency.

New technologies and exterior and interior refinements continue to offer Chrysler 300 customers an elegant, confidence-inspiring vehicle at an exceptional value.

2008 CHRYSLER 300: WHAT'S NEW FOR 2008
Posted Image

Exterior:
  • Three new exterior colors: Clearwater Blue Pearl Coat, Dark Titanium Metallic Clear Coat and Light Sandstone Metallic Clear Coat replace Marine Blue Pearl Coat, Linen Gold and Silver Steel Metallic
  • Exterior refresh including front and rear fascias and grille, and new bodyside molding, taillamp design and deck lid
Interior:
  • Interior refresh including redesigned instrument panel, instrument cluster, center console and door trim panels
  • Available adaptive cruise control (Chrysler 300C)
  • Faux wood interior accents (Chrysler 300 Limited)
  • iPod interface added to UConnect® module
  • LED lighting in front cup holders and front- and rear-door map pockets (included in Luxury package on Chrysler 300 Limited, standard on Chrysler 300C)
  • New interior color combinations of Dark Khaki/Light Graystone and Dark Slate Gray
  • New cloth seat material
  • New speed control stalk
  • Upgraded soft-touch surfaces on arm rests, center console and door trim
Electrical:
  • New radio options
  • AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio (standard)
  • AM/FM/6CD/DVD/MP3 radio (option)
  • MyGIG, a cutting-edge multimedia audio and entertainment system with available navigation
  • Boston Acoustics eight-speaker 5.1 Matrix Surround Sound amplifier including subwoofer (option on Chrysler 300C)
  • Rear-seat Video Entertainment System (VES™) includes SIRIUS Backseat TV and one-year subscription to SIRIUS Satellite Video (available on Chrysler 300 Touring Executive Series, 300 Limited and 300C models)
  • Remote start (option on Chrysler 300 Limited, standard on Chrysler 300C)

Powertrain/Chassis:
  • New 17-inch wheel covers (standard on Chrysler 300 LX)
  • New 17-inch machined face aluminum wheels (standard on Chrysler 300 Touring)
  • "Fuel Saver Mode" display (standard on Chrysler 300C)

Safety and Security:
  • Power adjustable pedals (now standard on Chrysler 300 Limited)
  • Side-curtain and seat-mounted side air bags (standard on Chrysler 300 Great American package and available on remaining models)
  • Tire pressure monitor warning lamp (now standard on Chrysler 300 LX model)

New Packages:
Luxury Group package: Includes sun roof; Boston Acoustics six-speaker, 276-watt DSP Amp speaker system; MyGIG Entertainment System with AM/FM/CD/DVD/HDD/MP3 radio; California Walnut wood accent on steering wheel, door pulls and interior trim; remote start; LED-illuminated front cup holders and front- and rear-door map pockets; SmartBeam™ headlamp control system and rain-sensing windshield wipers (available on Chrysler 300 Limited)

Luxury Equipment Group II package: Includes adaptive cruise control, mirrors with supplemental turn signals and puddle lamps, passenger side auto-dimming mirror, heated rear seats and California Walnut wood trim (available on Chrysler 300C)

2008 Interior
Posted Image

2007 Interior
Posted Image

If I squint a tiny bit & and walk three blocks away it ALMOST looks different.

The new interior is worse... HVAC and radio controls are better, but the wood is gross. They also got rid of the piece that connects the stack and console, which was a big mistake.

I'm assuming (and hoping) that the wood pictured is the faux wood and not the real stuff. The part that connects the center stack to teh console is gone...but it's not uncommon...the Lucerne and Tahoe are the same way for example. I dunno if I like it better or not...but of the interior materials are improved that's what counts...although I thought they werepretty good to begin with. Adaptive Cruise Control sounds cool.

There isn't a Chrysler product I like. There hasn't been for a long time.

And oooh--they added two new interior shades of gray to choose from! Wow, I always dreamed of seeing a gray interior on a Chrysler product!! [/sarcasm]

I'm assuming (and hoping) that the wood pictured is the faux wood and not the real stuff. The part that connects the center stack to teh console is gone...but it's not uncommon...the Lucerne and Tahoe are the same way for example. I dunno if I like it better or not...but of the interior materials are improved that's what counts...although I thought they werepretty good to begin with. Adaptive Cruise Control sounds cool.

Perhaps it is fake, it certainly looks it. The part between the center stack and console has no reason to be gone. The same problem plagues the STS (see the Chinese SLS interior for how much better it looks when they appear to be one piece). The Lucerne and Tahoe both offer bench seats, and the Tahoe is really a truck, anyways. That's why they aren't connected. The Lucerne at least tries to smooth out the transition as well as possible... this is just like the STS... a 90* angle.

Adaptive Cruise Control is cool until you learn that it costs about $2k (in most cases).

Perhaps it is fake, it certainly looks it. The part between the center stack and console has no reason to be gone.

It's probably not connected because the Charger and Magnum police package models don't have a center console (at least not a regular one).

Perhaps it is fake, it certainly looks it. The part between the center stack and console has no reason to be gone. The same problem plagues the STS (see the Chinese SLS interior for how much better it looks when they appear to be one piece). The Lucerne and Tahoe both offer bench seats, and the Tahoe is really a truck, anyways. That's why they aren't connected. The Lucerne at least tries to smooth out the transition as well as possible... this is just like the STS... a 90* angle.

Adaptive Cruise Control is cool until you learn that it costs about $2k (in most cases).

Well, I didn't say the new design was better :P

However, contrary to what some of the bias ignoramuses may think, there are elements of improvement...there's a lot more detailing than there was in the old one...I'd like to see it without the wood and two-tone...but I think it's an improvement overall. It's not the most creative interior, but there's plenty worse out there.

The new non-flowing console definitely sucks, and it's actually part of the entire dash, which makes me wonder if the materials quality were changed... you know, to keep it in line with the Patriots, Commanders, Sebrings, and Grand Caravans out there.

I still think they should make a CLS-style 4-door "coupe" out of it. It will be a lot prettier than the Challenger. Anyone remember the swoopy 300M or Concorde??

The new non-flowing console definitely sucks, and it's actually part of the entire dash, which makes me wonder if the materials quality were changed... you know, to keep it in line with the Patriots, Commanders, Sebrings, and Grand Caravans out there.

I still think they should make a CLS-style 4-door "coupe" out of it. It will be a lot prettier than the Challenger. Anyone remember the swoopy 300M or Concorde??

Considering I see them all the time, yes :P

Posted Image

Wow, imagine this.....the wood looks 1000 times better in a picture without the high saturation effect:

Posted Image

They fixed the only thing on the dash that I think it really needed......which was something across the passenger side of the dash. However, I don't like wood, so I would prefer the fake carbon fiber, or fake aluminum (painted plastic) that they will probably put there on cars without wood.

Well, here's the Touring Signature Series without wood. The only thing I with they would have done here was make the door pulls a contrasting color or material.....but other than that the center console and dash look good without wood:

Posted Image

Source www.wkjeeps.com

Give Chrysler some time....they just got out from the money sucking Germans....

check out the 08 Grand Cherokee's interior

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by CanadianJeepYJ

I want to test drive a bunch of cars sometime in the next few weeks, I think I might have to throw the 300 on that list.

Give Chrysler some time....they just got out from the money sucking Germans....

check out the 08 Grand Cherokee's interior

A little birdie landed on my shoulder earlier, he told me the interior's materials are going to get much better pretty soon in that GC. :AH-HA_wink: Edited by NOS2006

A little birdie landed on my shoulder earlier, he told me the interior's materials are going to get much better pretty soon in that GC. :AH-HA_wink:

Sounds about right....

We all know that only time will correct what the Germans did to Chrysler.

<----- has nothing against Germans :AH-HA_wink:

Posted Image

Wow, imagine this.....the wood looks 1000 times better in a picture without the high saturation effect:

Posted Image

They fixed the only thing on the dash that I think it really needed......which was something across the passenger side of the dash. However, I don't like wood, so I would prefer the fake carbon fiber, or fake aluminum (painted plastic) that they will probably put there on cars without wood.

Well, here's the Touring Signature Series without wood. The only thing I with they would have done here was make the door pulls a contrasting color or material.....but other than that the center console and dash look good without wood:

Posted Image

Source www.wkjeeps.com

Yeah, the frontal view is a photoshop, the picture has been tweaked, it isn't a real picture.

The woodgrain has been made to stand out on the second picture.

Having owned and lived with an LX I suspect the interior will continue to be a pretty danged awesome place to occupy.

No radical changes for 08 that I see... which isn't a terrible thing IMO...

something is up with at *least* that front 3/4 pic..

it's a photoshop of the same pic used in this 2006 300C review. Even the oil stains on the asphalt are the same.

Great catch. They didn't even bother taking some of the desert plants out of the photo either.

On the topic of the changes, I'm sure they've improved the plastics of the interior as best they could with such little money since it was the biggest gripe with journalists and customers alike. However, to the non-enthusiast eye, the changes to the interior would most likely be missed.

This probably won't do anything for declining sales since it's the exterior styling that most people are tired of.

I won't harp on Chrysler though. They've gone through some hard times in recent years.. thanks to the Daimler big-wigs that had no idea on how to handle the North American unit. I have a good feeling though that under the new leadership, we'll start to see some very positive changes coming out of Chrysler along the lines of GM's recent efforts but I think we won't see anything like that happen until the end of the decade and beyond. I used to think that Ford was in better shape then Chrysler but now I'm thinking Chrysler is perhaps much closer to reaching it's goals. At least Chrysler has three distinct brands with their own purpose and a whole team of automotive experts. Can't really say the same for Ford right now and with the company looking to desperately sell off it's Euro brands in order to make some quick cash, the last thing they are worrying about is what demographic each brand should be aimed toward.

Well, the faux tortoise shell trim looks much classier, the flowing console more premium, and larger NAV screen are all better on the current model than the update.

Chrysler... you made it worse... at least for now.

Agreed on much more needs to be done, and as stated before by myself and others, Chrysler's use of padded materials seemed much more extensive pre-Daimler than post-Daimler, so I expect Chrysler to return to this at some point, and without the Germans involved and sucking cash out of an "inferior American car company" that actually kept the whole damn corporation afloat a couple times, I am sure Chrysler will want to move upmarket more than they are currently at.

Edited by MyerShift

Say what you will but it's still one of the coolest sedans on the market!!!

yucky steering wheel

Wow....what a surprise coming from you :deadhorse:

I'm not big on the steering wheel, nor do I like the HVAC controls; they just don't look like they befit the interior. I do like the two-tone interior in the Touring 'Signature' , and overall, the interior is still a nice place to be.

Is it the LOOKS of the HVAC controls that you don't like?

We have the same HVAC controls in our Magnum, dual climate control just like in the picture, and they are extremely simple to use. Probably the best HVAC system in any car I have been in.

LOOKS wise is subject to personal opinion, but I don't see how they could be changed and still be as simple to operate?

I don't know why everyone keeps speculating about softer touch materials, when you can just read the initial post:

Interior:

* Interior refresh including redesigned instrument panel, instrument cluster, center console and door trim panels

* Available adaptive cruise control (Chrysler 300C)

* Faux wood interior accents (Chrysler 300 Limited)

* iPod interface added to UConnect® module

* LED lighting in front cup holders and front- and rear-door map pockets (included in Luxury package on Chrysler 300 Limited, standard on Chrysler 300C)

* New interior color combinations of Dark Khaki/Light Graystone and Dark Slate Gray

* New cloth seat material

* New speed control stalk

* Upgraded soft-touch surfaces on arm rests, center console and door trim

The 300 already has "soft touch" materials on these surfaces......so now they will probably be baby's ass soft, so you interior snobs will shut up whilst caressing the dash at the auto shows. :stupid:

Well, the faux tortoise shell trim looks much classier, the flowing console more premium, and larger NAV screen are all better on the current model than the update.

The faux tortoise shell may still be standard on the 300C. The initial post says that faux wood, will be standard on the Limited, and that additional "Luxury Packages" available for the Touring and 300C will include California Walnut.

Is it the LOOKS of the HVAC controls that you don't like?

We have the same HVAC controls in our Magnum, dual climate control just like in the picture, and they are extremely simple to use. Probably the best HVAC system in any car I have been in.

LOOKS wise is subject to personal opinion, but I don't see how they could be changed and still be as simple to operate?

Well, I know they are easy to operate, and for me that's a big deal. But something about this just looks odd...

Posted Image

You have a nice looking dash, then a bunch of black plastic knobs. It's fine in the Magnum, because that's a less premium vehicle. It just seems like Chrysler could have maybe made the buttons a different colour or sheen or something.

I've always liked the 300 (except the base model with plastic wheel covers, which are still standard) and this refresh really doesn't change my mind. The exterior hasn't changed much but looks better. The interior looks slightly better, too, but I hope the quality of the materials is above average. The wood IS fake (it says so) but, in the photo, it's used sparingly. It could look better, though.

Overall, not bad. However, I wonder what the next-gen 300 will look like. It's going to be very hard to design a follow-up, IMO, just like the PT Cruiser.

Well, I know they are easy to operate, and for me that's a big deal. But something about this just looks odd...

Posted Image

You have a nice looking dash, then a bunch of black plastic knobs. It's fine in the Magnum, because that's a less premium vehicle. It just seems like Chrysler could have maybe made the buttons a different colour or sheen or something.

I'm sure that, just like last year, the knobs will have chrome rings around them. You can actually see them in the 08 interior pic if you look hard. They look fairly upscale:

Posted Image