SEMA: '08 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo

Chris_Doane

GM @ SEMA
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbo
Posted Image

Posted Image

2008 CHEVROLET COBALT SS FAST FACTS
• Engineered and developed by GM Performance Division
• 2.0L Ecotec turbocharged and intercooled engine with 260 horsepower (194 kW)
• GM Powertrain Sweden five-speed transmission with short-throw shifter
• Nürburgring-tuned FE5 Sport suspension delivers 0.9 g grip
• Brembo fixed-caliper front discs and vented rear disc brakes
• SS-specific appearance with unique fascias and rear spoiler – including available high wing
• 18-inch high-polished forged aluminum wheels and Y-rated performance tires
• SS-specific interior with new sport seats, A-pillar boost gauge and more
• On sale: second quarter of 2008

TURBOCHARGED CHEVROLET COBALT SS GIVES A BOOST OF FUN TO THE COMPACT SEGMENT

LAS VEGAS – Celebrating the performance community that comprises SEMA, Chevrolet used the annual convention of all things high-performance to announce the 2008 Cobalt SS coupe. True to its legendary moniker, the Cobalt SS delivers a balance of track-proven performance capability, driving refinement and premium features – along with an undeniably fun and youthful character.

Developed by GM Performance Division (GMPD) and powered by a 260-horsepower (194 kW) turbocharged and intercooled 2.0L Ecotec engine, the Cobalt SS delivers 55 horses (41 kW) more than the previous Cobalt SS Supercharged, and its driving experience was validated on racetracks throughout North America and Europe, including Germany’s legendary Nürburgring circuit.

“The Cobalt SS is the very essence of Chevrolet’s fun spirit and serious performance,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “The horsepower will put a permanent smile on your face and you’ll find yourself wanting to turn around and zip through your favorite stretch of twisty roads again.”
The Cobalt SS coupe arrives in dealerships in the second quarter of 2008. A Cobalt SS sedan, with all of the same high-performance features of the coupe, follows a couple of months later.

Maximum performance – on the street or track
The Cobalt SS was developed by GM Performance Division (GMPD), with a team of engineers and designers dedicated to crafting high-performance vehicles. It features powertrain and chassis enhancements that are similar to the new HHR SS, but with larger Brembo brakes, a slightly “taller” final-drive ratio and other variances that emphasize the Cobalt SS’s pure performance ethic, as well as maximize its competitiveness on the track.

Engineered to offer more than merely a turbocharged rush of power, an all-new FE5 Sport suspension was developed and includes specific stabilizer bars, spring rates and damper tuning – all designed to complement the high-output turbocharged powertrain and mitigate afflictions such as torque steer. Driver-selectable modes help maximize performance whether on the street or track. The unique “no-lift shift” feature enables manual-transmission-equipped models to achieve the best acceleration time via an algorithm in the engine controller.

Ensuring the car stops as confidently as it accelerates and corners are four-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS. The front brakes are from Brembo and have a performance-oriented fixed-caliper design, which resist fade better than floating caliper designs; the rear discs are vented for better heat dissipation. Along with these high-performance attributes, the Cobalt SS comes standard with a host of safety features, including the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system and side-impact air bags.

With its balanced tuning, the Cobalt SS delivers a quick 0-60 time of approximately 5.7 seconds – thanks to the manual transmission’s “no-lift shift” feature – and a sports car-like maximum lateral grip of 0.9 g. This combination enabled the Cobalt SS to set a new class record while circulating the famed Nürburgring racing circuit, posting a time of 8:22.85 minutes.

Unmistakable style
The Cobalt SS is distinguished on the exterior with several unique features, including a distinctive, air dam-style front fascia with integrated projector-beam fog lamps. The new fascia’s grille and the Cobalt’s upper grille sport a new, SS-specific diamond-mesh appearance.

SS-specific rockers and badging adorn the body sides, while a standard deck lid spoiler adds the requisite sporty touch to the rear of the car. The standard spoiler can be replaced with an optional high wing-style aero enhancement that gives the Cobalt SS the look of a racecar. Also at the rear is a prominent, bright-tip exhaust outlet.

Large, five-spoke 18-inch polished forged aluminum wheels and performance tires are standard and are tailored with the specific body enhancements to give the Cobalt SS a lower, performance-oriented stance – while also showing off the large Brembo front brake calipers. They’re mounted on 225/40-series summer tires. Likewise, the available exterior colors enhance the sporty nature of the vehicle. They include Victory Red, Black, Ultra Silver Metallic, Imperial Blue, Rally Yellow, Sport Red Tintcoat and White.

Like the exterior, the interior is unique to the Cobalt SS, including SS-embroidered sport seats with suede-like UltraLux inserts, a specific gauge cluster, an A-pillar-mounted turbo boost gauge and a new shifter arrangement. Three interior color combinations are available: Ebony, Light Grey and Victory Red. Edited by Flybrian

I keep telling myself I dont wanna trade my SS , but mechanically ....the 2008 is just gonna rock . And they fiiiiiiiinally arent white nazi's anymore . Why does GM insist on baaaad photoshops for their media images ...those wheels are GM accessory wheels that have been around since 2005 . The new ones are 7.5" wide , the rims in those pics are 7 . The pic also doesnt show the new mesh upper and lower grills .

This should be the new rim . This rim style is also what comes up in GM dealer parts computer on the image breakdowns .

Posted Image

Those wheels look so much better than the Photoshopped ones. And silver is a lot classier than yellow. Suddenly I'm liking this car a lot more.

I'm looking forward to seeing the four-door version. It should be pretty good competition against the Civic Si and WRX.

The wheels suck less but still aren't that great. I actually liked the SS's larger wing better. In these photos it doesn't look much different than the standard coupe. Which is ashame. Like it or not, the Caliber SRT4 looks special and will never be mistaken for the regular Calibers.

The performance upgrades are great. The body mods show nothing new. This must be a hastily cobbled together press photo, typical of GM. The new grille mesh sounds different, at least. Still no mention of a spoiler delete option. The wheels in the press photo are old-school. '08 Corvettes and Impala LTZs have a rim similar to the ones on the silver car in silver ss/sc's "police lineup" photo, so I am hoping that will be the production rim. I am also liking the sound of the interior mods, and the availability of white and dark blue this time around.

This car is really going to put the fwd-sport compact crowd on notice. This will be another hit for GM. I just wish GM had an AWD version to compete in the rally crowd.

Maybe GM is engineering DeltaII to make it AWD-compatible so the next gen gets that AWD version. It would be fun to have that kind of potential in the platform, especially if you consider other applications: Opel Astra OPC and an AWD Saab 9-1 immediately come to mind.

Well, that's decidedly boring. I was hoping for more than just a new engine, wheels, and wing.

How about 4 piston Brembo brakes with ventilated rear discs, new seats, stronger axles, different final drive, mesh grill, launch control. What else did you want?

What other compact offers Brembo brakes? My only worry is that there is no mention of a LSD.

This is a huge improvement and I can't wait to get out of my 2.4SS and get one.

The SS turbo performance upgrades are exciting. Unfortunately, the styling of this car is bland. Except for the 4 round taillight units (which should be utilized on the externally beautiful 2008 Malibu sedan), this car isn't that exciting to look at. It looks like a Cavalier update instead of an all-new vehicle on a new platform. It looked ten years old when it was introduced. I have to admit the coupe is not as bad as the sedan, but Chevy could have been a little more adventurous with both.

The SS turbo performance upgrades should be enough to maintain interest in the market until a redesigned version arrives in a couple of years (hopefully the 2010 model year). I hope the redesign signals a dramatic change in styling similar to the change between the 2007 Malibu and the 2008 Malibu (that car went from homely rental car queen to gorgeous segment leader; at least as far as external styling). I am tired of GM changing model names, but in this case I think they should. Cobalt is a bland name attached to a bland car. Hopefully, the redesigned car signals a bolder step in design and model name.

The SS turbo performance upgrades are exciting. Unfortunately, the styling of this car is bland. Except for the 4 round taillight units (which should be utilized on the externally beautiful 2008 Malibu sedan), this car isn't that exciting to look at. It looks like a Cavalier update instead of an all-new vehicle on a new platform. It looked ten years old when it was introduced. I have to admit the coupe is not as bad as the sedan, but Chevy could have been a little more adventurous with both.

The SS turbo performance upgrades should be enough to maintain interest in the market until a redesigned version arrives in a couple of years (hopefully the 2010 model year). I hope the redesign signals a dramatic change in styling similar to the change between the 2007 Malibu and the 2008 Malibu (that car went from homely rental car queen to gorgeous segment leader; at least as far as external styling). I am tired of GM changing model names, but in this case I think they should. Cobalt is a bland name attached to a bland car. Hopefully, the redesigned car signals a bolder step in design and model name.

The new one is coming in 2009 as a 2010 on the Delta II. We have to wait on this one for less than two years.

What other compact offers Brembo brakes? My only worry is that there is no mention of a LSD.

GM media lists the LSD as being optional . And a lap time @ Nurburgring @ 8.22 seconds . wOOt , thats flying and in some very respectable company .

For reference

8:20 --- 148.320 km/h -- Porche 993 GT3, Walter Roehrl (Car magazine 10/99)

8:22 --- 147.749 km/h -- BMW M3 E46, 343 PS/1584 kg (sport auto 12/00)

8:22 --- 147.749 km/h -- BMW M Coupe, 321 PS/1445 kg (sport auto 10/98)

8:22 --- 147.749 km/h -- Mercedes-Benz C55 (sport auto07/2004)

8:22.38 147.617 km/h -- Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R (Best Motoring video "Carrera Invasion") http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_wcOnPkxk

8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Aston Martin DB7 GT, 442 PS/1833 kg (sport auto 07/03)

8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Porsche Boxster S, 280 PS/1426 kg (sport auto 04/06)

8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Porsche 996 Carrera 4, 300 PS/1466 kg (sport auto 01/02)

8:24 --- 147.143 km/h -- Mercedes SLK 55 AMG, 360PS/1566kg (sport auto 04/05),

8:24 --- 147.143 km/h -- Subaru Impreza WRX STi (sport auto 05/04)

8:25 --- 146.851 km/h -- Audi RS4, 375 PS/1675 kg (sport auto 10/00)

8:25* -- 146.851 km/h – 2007 BMW M5 Touring, 507 PS (*mfr.)

8:25 --- 146.851 km/h -- Corvette Callaway C12, 400 PS/1564 kg (sport auto 04/99)

8:25 --- 146.851 km/h – Jaguar XKR, 416 PS/1775 kg (sport auto 11/06)

8:25 --- 146.851 km/h – Maybach 57 S, 612 PS/2835 kg

8:25 --- 146.851 km/h -- Mitsubishi Carisma GT Evo VI, 300 PS/1466 kg (sport auto 11/99)

8:25 --- 146.851 km/h -- Mitsubishi Carisma GT Evo VII (sport auto 11/02)

8:25 --- 146.851 km/h – Porsche Cayman S, 295 PS/1412 kg (sport auto 11/06),

8:26 --- 146.561 km/h – BMW 335i Coupé, 306 PS/1610 kg (sport auto 10/06),

8:26 --- 146.561 km/h -- Mercedes Benz SLK 32 AMG, 354 PS/1480 kg (sport auto 05/01)

8:26 --- 146.561 km/h -- Nissan 350Z, 280 PS/1526 kg (sport auto 10/03)

8:28 --- 145.984 km/h -- BMW E49 M5, 400PS/1833 kg (sport auto 03/99)

8:28 --- 145.984 km/h -- Nissan Skyline GTR, 277 PS

8:28 --- 145.984 km/h -- Porsche 993 Carrera 2, 285 PS/1452 kg (sport auto 01/98)

8:28 --- 145.984 km/h -- Porsche 993 Carrera Cabrio (sport auto 04/97)

8:28.1 - 145.984 km/h -- Nissan Skyline GTR http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/228511/

8:28.93 145.690 km/h -- Subaru Impreza WRX sedan (1992) www.subaru.com.hk/pdf/SNW0404.pdf

8:29 --- 145.697 km/h -- Audi S4 4.2 Avant, 344 PS/1826 kg (sport auto 11/03)

8:29 --- 145.697 km/h -- Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG, 347 PS/1593 kg (sport auto 05/00)

8:29 --- 145.697 km/h – MTM VW Golf V GTI, 272 PS/1437 kg (sport auto Tuning 07),

8:30 --- 145.412 km/h -- Maserati Coupé Cambiocorsa, 320 PS/1593 kg (sport auto 10/02)

8:31.--- 145.130 km/h -- 2006 CADILLAC STS-V, 440PS/1948 kg,

8:31.42 145.008 km/h -- Ferrari F355, 380hp (Top Gear magazine)

8:32 --- 144.844 km/h -- BMW Z4 3.0 SMG (sport auto 04/03)

8:32 --- 144.844 km/h -- BMW Z4 3.0si coupe, 265 PS/1408 kg (sport auto 08/06)

8:32 --- 144.844 km/h -- Lotus Exige, 192hp (sport auto 08/04)

8:32 --- 144.844 km/h -- BMW M Roadster, 321 PS/1410 kg (sport auto 09/97)

8:32 --- 144.844 km/h -- BMW Z4 3.0 SMG, 231 PS/1396 kg (sport auto 05/03)

8:32 --- 144.844 km/h -- Porsche Boxster S, 252 PS/1386 kg (sport auto 12/99)

8:32 --- 144.844 km/h -- Volkswagen Golf R32 Mk. IV, 250 PS

8:33.80 144.336 km/h -- Honda NSX (6-speed) Coupe, 276 PS (Top Gear magazine

I think it is good that they don't have a huge wing or plastic moldings all over it, the old supercharged SS looked kind of tacky. The problem is the Cobalt looks like a boring rental car, so the SS still looks boring. If the car looks good to begin with, then a simple wheel, grill and spoiler kit with a little change in molding can make the car look really good. Like and AMG Mercedes. Looks sporty and better than the base version, without looking tacky or cheap.

How about 4 piston Brembo brakes with ventilated rear discs, new seats, stronger axles, different final drive, mesh grill, launch control. What else did you want?

"just a new engine" LOL.

I read the press release, I'm quite aware of all that's new. :rolleyes:

My point is that it looks dated. It would have been nice to have some cosmetic upgrades. What tells you that there is something new and exciting underneath the sheetmetal? Nothing. It's just another boring Cobalt upon looking at it.

Edited by blackviper8891

I like it. This is the perfect sleeper - on the outside it's nothing more than your everyday Cobalt Sport, but much, much more powerful. I'm glad they're not doing anything major to the appearance - I was fearing the SEMA widebody front fascia from a couple of years ago. Still on my wish list, however, is for them to fit the coupe's taillights onto the sedan.

I agree with BV. The hardware upgrades sound great...but there's really nothing to suggest that this is more than just a regular LT coupe with fancier rims.

1) There is nothing wrong with that, the Civic Si is identical to the regular Civic save for a bigger exhaust, a sticker and bigger wheels. It takes a trained eye to spot the difference. The GTi only has a unique front bumper and wheels to distinguish it, the WRX, just the rims and the sticker on the back are different. The Cobalt SS has as many or more unique exterior styling elements as other cars in its class.

2)They offer the option of the big wing for you so you can shout about how your car is teh fastest.

1) There is nothing wrong with that, the Civic Si is identical to the regular Civic save for a bigger exhaust, a sticker and bigger wheels. It takes a trained eye to spot the difference. The GTi only has a unique front bumper and wheels to distinguish it, the WRX, just the rims and the sticker on the back are different. The Cobalt SS has as many or more unique exterior styling elements as other cars in its class.

2)They offer the option of the big wing for you so you can shout about how your car is teh fastest.

IMO, there is something wrong with that, especially when the Civic Si has a cosmetics package that makes it look different enough from a regular Civic. I'm a big fan of subtlty, believe me, but there's a line between subtlty and anonymity. The G8 and Bonneville GXP are subtle. The Cobalt SS Turbo is anonymous; it blends in too well with the Cobalt family.

Hmm... let's see... the Si has ground effects, a wing, different wheels and emblems, and a shiny exhaust tip, along with some minor interior trim differences. What does the Cobalt SS Turbo have? Ground effects, a wing, different wheels and emblems, and a shiny exhaust tip, along with some minor interior trim differences. How dare they! :AH-HA_wink:

Those Nurburgring time comparisons are nothing short of phenomenal!

With a credit like that to its name, the understated look is irrelevent.

I am having some trouble believing that time. As fast as an M3? The M3 has 70+ more HP, isn't much heavier, and undoubtedly handles better.

I think this thing will be faster than the estimated 5.7 0-60 time.

The Solstice GXP have the same engine, are lighter I think, and do 0-60 in 5.5, so I'd say 5.7 is probably fairly accurate.

To clarify, I was more or less hoping for updated cosmetics for the sheer reason of it looking outdated. All those upgrades and they choose to keep the styling that dates back to 2005? Why not take the incentive to give it a freshened front and rear fascia and address how it also looks decidedly un-sporty. I'm not talking about the downgraded spoiler, which is an improvement by all means.

Hmm... let's see... the Si has ground effects, a wing, different wheels and emblems, and a shiny exhaust tip, along with some minor interior trim differences. What does the Cobalt SS Turbo have? Ground effects, a wing, different wheels and emblems, and a shiny exhaust tip, along with some minor interior trim differences. How dare they! :AH-HA_wink:

I think the Cobalt has moved beyond Civic Si territory now. Does all those performance upgrades deserve the regular styling? While not coupes, look at the Caliber SRT4 and MSP3... (though a bit beyond the SS's performance) the WRX STi and EVO X. You can argue whether those variants have tasteful upgrades or not, but they have substantially beefier styling. Does the Cobalt deserve its basics looks? Is it really worth it to not have attention grabbing styling and be a sleeper in a segment where flashy is appealing? As I mentioned above, upgraded fascias with more aggressive grills and surfacing would really have added to the mechanical upgrades.

Is this car actually at Sema ? Or do we just get the horrible photoshopped 2 year old pic with the wrong wheels until the autoshow season ?

To GM's defense , this car is only gonna be around for 1.5 years before this generation is dead . They could squeezed out some new modern headligths though . The Astra bi-xenons in mine dramatically altered its personality and makes the car look much more upscale .

Edited by silverss/sc

I just realized why I like the ricer wing on the SCSS Cobalt; because the car is so damn boring without it.

I LOVE the new motor but lets hope the wheels are nothing like those. I remember them from a few years ago as well and they do nothing but make the car look less dramatic and more boring/normal.

Of course, I LOVE the SCSS wheels, so go figure.

I'd also still like to see the wheels that the SCSS debuted with make it to production (They were aftermarket 18s, and gorgeous)

P.S. I'm so glad to see a sedan coming as well!

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I am having some trouble believing that time. As fast as an M3? The M3 has 70+ more HP, isn't much heavier, and undoubtedly handles better.

There may be varied reasons. M3 has 500 more pounds to harness compared to this vehicle. Because the cobalt only has 5 gears (assuming same drivetrain as the HHR-SS) that is a lot less time to change gears. I have always wondered that the Ring had bias to the FWD cars. The reason they get eclipsed in the times are because of the heavy hitting RWD/AWD super cars. But given same size and horsepower vehicle with FWD or RWD with similar suspension settings, I think FWD will have an edge on the Ring.

The Solstice GXP have the same engine, are lighter I think, and do 0-60 in 5.5, so I'd say 5.7 is probably fairly accurate.

The difference is not discernible.

Comparison of SS-SC, M3 and Solstice GXP

There may be varied reasons. M3 has 500 more pounds to harness compared to this vehicle. Because the cobalt only has 5 gears (assuming same drivetrain as the HHR-SS) that is a lot less time to change gears. I have always wondered that the Ring had bias to the FWD cars. The reason they get eclipsed in the times are because of the heavy hitting RWD/AWD super cars. But given same size and horsepower vehicle with FWD or RWD with similar suspension settings, I think FWD will have an edge on the Ring.

The difference is not discernible.

Comparison of SS-SC, M3 and Solstice GXP

You make an excellent point. I didn't realize that he Cobalt SS only weighed 15 more pounds than the Solstice GXP. Where is all that weight in the Solstice coming from?

I like those wheels much better. I think this thing is going to give the bowtie boys some beat downs to the ricer boys right from the factory. That egg Honda calls the Civic Si can't run with this SS.

LOL, The Si can barely run with the 2.4SS. I ran a 15.37 in mine while my friend ran a 15.1 in his 07 Si...

I like those wheels much better. I think this thing is going to give the bowtie boys some beat downs to the ricer boys right from the factory. That egg Honda calls the Civic Si can't run with this SS.

I think the target should be Zoom Zoom 3.

The seats and upholstery makes such a difference. I hated the old Supercharged SS's interior, with its vinyl door inserts and shiny leather, but this new one, with its black/grey alcantara is much classier. The seats look so much more substantial.

From AutoBlog...

Posted Image

Now I hope the LSD is standard and I may go ahead and make the down payment.

The LSD is NOT standard on the 08 . In 2007 it was a $750 option , should be the same money for 08 .