Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hyperv6

Autoweek loves the New G8

47 posts in this topic

I just got the new Autoweek and they love Pontiac's new car. They have gone to say it is the best car Pontiac has ever offered.

They said it was a blast to drive and clearly the best sedan in it's class.

They said it was not a smooth at its limits where it got a little ragged compared to a A6, 5 Series or E class. But keep in mnd all were much more expensive cars and they did not fault the G8 for how it performed in it's price class. They also drove the V6 and liked it but could not push it with the PR guy with them. They did note it was slower and ws not available with the FE2 suspension as the GT was. They did ask if it might be offered and did note Pontiac listened. No word on a FE3 but I would expect it for the GXP.

They also noted the lack of manuel tranny and said it may not be available here? This I will wait on as it has canged often and could change again.

Well anyway add a GXP, Wagon and Truck to this line Pontiac will be much stronger and this VE chassie is only a first step to a newer Zeta [hopefully] later with a Alpha coming in soon after.

GM is on a roll, God it is good to see it!

After I got to spend some time around a G8 I get the feeling I will not be able to wait till I can dump my wifes Comp G GP after a test drive.

Good Job Bob and the GM staff!!!!

They said it was a blast to drive and clearly the best sedan in it's class.

They said it was not a smooth at its limits where it got a little ragged compared to a A6, 5 Series or E class.

oh here we go....

*arms photon torpedos*

Well, I still don't like it. The styling is not for me. I still think Grand Prix should return WITH this G8. I know I am the only one, unless they change the styling on this G8 drastically. I hate the styling, especially the horrendous interior. Yuk.

Well, I still don't like it. The styling is not for me. I still think Grand Prix should return WITH this G8. I know I am the only one, unless they change the styling on this G8 drastically. I hate the styling, especially the horrendous interior. Yuk.

You are not alone, trust me! :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks for the report, it seems the G8/Commodore hasn't had a bad review yet.

To each their own, though I find it very hard to see how you can think the interior is horrible, especially if you liked the Grand Prix's:

Posted Image

VS

Posted Image

its a little touch but i love the way the E Brake is integrated in the zeta interiors.... just awesome styling

The Grand Prix's "Tap-Shift" with a four-speed automatic makes me lulz

it got a little ragged compared to a A6, 5 Series or E class.

WTFZORZ!? Why the hell are they comparing it to THOSE vehicles!?

Edited by Captainbooyah

I don't think by the way it read they ment the compare as a insult but a compliment.

The did point out the car was the best Pontiac with 4 doors ever built. They also pointed out when pushing it through the drive to Polimar it handled everything thrown at it and even when mistakes were made it was very forgiving. They also loved the brakes as they never faded under heavy use.

As for the interior they side the read seat was the best reas seat ever with a comfortable relined seating that would even suit someone over 6 foot tall well.

They noted the power to weight range was as good or bettter than most the cars already listed with the V8.

After reading you get the idea they really like the car and feel it is tops for its price range and only compre it to the more evpensive to show it is not far off from what they offer.

I get the feeling that these will be a hard to find on dealer lots as they will sell quick. The limited availablility my be its biggest problem.

Edited by hyperv6

What's not to love except for the sleepy styling and maybe the Aussie manufacture (just because I'd like to see it built in NA, no knock on Holden's abilities)?

With all the kind and accurate reviews of the G8, Astra, CTS and BU I just extended my subscription! :ohyeah:

Every car and truck GM introduces lately just seems to get top reviews. Nice change.

The Grand Prix's interior is driver-canted, has a DIC, and HUD. Those alone make it >. I just wish there would be some follow-through on these technologies.

Well, thats one good review. I just wish the 6 speed would get here. If not, I guess I'll have to order up a CTS 6-speed.

The Grand Prix's interior is driver-canted, has a DIC, and HUD. Those alone make it >. I just wish there would be some follow-through on these technologies.

When I asked Mr. Lutz why no HUD, his response was you won't want it once I get into a G8 and turn on the engine on. I tried to explain that some people like and enjoy their Pontiac toys and won't even get into it without the Pontiac toys. Well at least it has side airbags this time and Holden Assist, oops I mean OnStar. :smilewide:

The G8 has a DIC, too. If it's anything like the GTO's, it's a very good system.

Driver-canted is not as good as advertised, IMO, but perhaps you think differently. The ease of use of the controls is more important. The Alero had a driver-canted interior and I find the GTO's more complex radio just as easy to use.

HUD is a cool feature and I wish the G8 had it, but putting HUD in an unacceptable interior doesn't make it acceptable, IMO.

HUD is a cool feature and I wish the G8 had it, but putting HUD in an unacceptable interior doesn't make it acceptable.

The HUD may be in the car later if and when once it becomes a Zeta.

The DIC in the GM is not a big deal. The can't of ths dash It not like it once was and is a non issue.

Having a present gen GP I can say if the final form of the interior is anything near the qualiy of the GTO or better I will have no issues with losing the HUD.

Just please keep the idiot that did the interior of the present GP and added the turned dash to the GXP away from the G8. That dash reeks of trailer park trash. Just because it looked good in the 60's and 70's dose not make a good dash today.

Sorry I can't scan the story since I have no scanner.

Edited by hyperv6

Mmm. Might the real reason be that it just isn't cost-effective to re-engineer the Commodore's dash to accommodate an option for a mere 25,000/yr sales? Does Lutz really think you're that stupid? I just have to laugh at his ill-deserved reputation for straight-talk.

When I asked Mr. Lutz why no HUD, his response was you won't want it once I get into a G8 and turn on the engine on. I tried to explain that some people like and enjoy their Pontiac toys and won't even get into it without the Pontiac toys. Well at least it has side airbags this time and Holden Assist, oops I mean OnStar. :smilewide:

its a little touch but i love the way the E Brake is integrated in the zeta interiors.... just awesome styling

Its very prominent in Saabs as well

Aww fudge thats okay they will put in online at some point. The HUD is no big deal to me, if I had the money in 2005 for a GXP I would have MADE sure it didn't have the weight adding toy. I like the new G8's interior alot but must say the 2004-2008 GP interior wasn't that bad even in GXP trim.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0