griff7774

Pontiac's Death Blow????

76 posts in this topic

Let me try: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...tform_chevrolet. Looks like the Tick-Tock clock is running after all.

Since my own Tick-Tock clock has just sounded it's own alarm, this will be my last post here: I'll be a mere lurker/reader from now on. I wish you all the best in your personal and motoring lives! Au revoir!

Edited by ZL-1

Man.... :nono:

Interesting that this coincides with the departure of one regular in particular.....

Wait, why? Sub-CTS size would be.. somewhere between the Cobalt and Malibu, right? Much closer to Cobalt size I'd presume. Sounds perfect and ideal for a Pontiac. If MT's correct, I just don't get it.

I'm gonna bet that this is gonna end up being another big, big mistake from the General.

Edited by AxelTheRed

That is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long, long time.

I already vented my anger in the other thread about it...still TOTAL BULL$h!

Just as usual, Chevy gets all the new models and UN-DESERVED ATTENTION, while Pontiac and others struggles in the shadows, only getting their current models killed, and gets NOTHING new to their arsenal. At least this Chevy looks UGLY as hell, I hope it doesn't sell. Not even ONE, to help Chevy CLOSE DOWN INDEFINATELY. God I hate GM and their BABY Chevrolet's cheap Trash!!!!

Hopefully this is really a Chevy branded Alpha being sold outside of North America similar to how the Holden Commodore is badged a Chevy Lumina in the Middle East markets. Otherwise, IMO it is a really stupid move.

yes, hopefully we are all getting excited over nothing. though a RSX sized competitor to GTI and SI would be way cool, and a segment no other GM car competes in....

Hopefully this is really a Chevy branded Alpha being sold outside of North America similar to how the Holden Commodore is badged a Chevy Lumina in the Middle East markets. Otherwise, IMO it is a really stupid move.

Wait... why didn't I think of that... Middle East could definitely be where this belongs. But then why is MT saying NOT Pontiac?

There's hope, guys. There's hope.

Since when did you guys start believing in Motor Trend?

This is the 1st of many important messages to come. The clock is ticking, I tried to warn you. There is something else coming that I don't think you see yet, but I do, oh brother I do. With that I will say no more. The die is cast! The players have been assembled, the show is about to begin. Enjoy your popcorn! :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

This is the 1st of many important messages to come. The clock is ticking, I tried to warn you. There is something else coming that I don't think you see yet, but I do, oh brother I do. With that I will say no more. The die is cast! The players have been assembled, the show is about to begin. Enjoy your popcorn! :smilewide:

OK So Chevrolet cannot get an El Camino because it has "too many models" but now it gets Alpha from Pontiac? Aye...

If PCS didn't seem to be validating this, I wouldn't believe it.

I still don't think it's necessary to believe. The only valid reason I could see someone at GM pushing for Alpha to go Chevy instead of Pontiac is for volume. BUT this would be the volume product over at Pontiac, and Pontiac has shown capability in the past to be a best seller with a compact and agressive car with the right pricing [19-26k] Grand Am.

Since when has PCS proven a reliable source on anything. All I hear is I hate Holden and doomsday theories coming from him that hold no water.

There is simply no room in the product lineup at Chevy for this to occupy, it would seriously overlap MAlibu and offer nothing in step with Chevy's linuep. And it's Motor Trend, when have they been right about anything.

by the way nice to see you back croc :)

I can see Pontiac not getting an Alpha model. I can see Holden getting an Alpha model for volume. I can see Buick China getting one to replace the Regal or Excelle (although they are going with Delta for the latter). I can, just barely, see Chevy getting one for sale in the Middle East and Latin America, where it is like Holden, a more inclusive brand. But especially if you're are going to badge the Commodore Ute as a Pontiac, I see no reason to sell an Alpha model as a Chevrolet in North America, when CAFE concerns may mean volume is restricted (unless of course it underpins the next-gen Camaro). I can even see a justification for a 4-cylinder Alpha sedan and coupe being the only 4/5-seat Pontiacs you can buy (i.e. Pontiac only selling the Solstice and a compact G5/Tempest coupe and sedan).

It would make sense that Chevy get it instead of Saturn (if Pontiac is indeed going the way of Oldsmobile).

I hope Motor Trend is mistaken about this scenario.

As some others have posted, this makes sense for the Middle East since they are receiving a clone G8/Commodore sedan badged as a Lumina. This product would complement the Lumina sedan in the Middle East as well as it would the G8 sedan in the U.S. and the Commodore in Australia. Maybe Motor Trend didn't get all the facts before they jumped the gun about releasing this information.

If Motor Trend is correct, then this is one of GM's silliest accountant dominated decisions in recent memory (besides the Ute trucklet being offered by Pontiac instead of Chevy or GM)

It would make sense that Chevy get it instead of Saturn (if Pontiac is indeed going the way of Oldsmobile).

Which doesn't make sense when the same article says the Solstice gets the alpha treatment and a G8 family is being announced.

Something goofy is going on.

Pontiac is not Oldsmobile they have way to much behind them. Trust I would bet they are working on a new G6 and we don't know about it. Olds had more over lapping with Buick than Pontiac does with Chevrolet trust me. Actually Pontiac is a brand that can be easy to justify because of the Solstice and G8 two vehicles Chevrolet offers nothing similar too. (At least not currently.) It could be the end for Pontiac after all but I highly doubt it.

Edited by gm4life

Pontiac is not Oldsmobile they have way to much behind them. Trust I would bet they are working on a new G6 and we don't know about it.

Well, it seems PCS with his tick-tock has some inside info as to Pontiac's future... and with Pontiac part of the Pontiac-Buick-GMC structure, it wouldn't be that hard to phase out..

Well, it seems PCS with his tick-tock has some inside info as to Pontiac's future... and with Pontiac part of the Pontiac-Buick-GMC structure, it wouldn't be that hard to phase out..

I too can see how it would be easy to pull the plug on these three in one respect but to kill name equity and lose that market more share would be also hard for GM to take.

I to question Motor Trend as they have a record of not being accurate to a T.

Could this be GM's response to the new fuel milage requirements? Pontiac, Buick and GMC do little for CAFE at near 35 mpg.

If GM pulls the plug on PBG adding more Chevys will not help much. There are too many Chevys now.

I will not panic till I see anything from a more reliable outlet or GM. Even then what happens, happens.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room