Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOS2006

Aura/Insignia Spied

51 posts in this topic

opelinsignia7iw0.jpg

Spy photographers have once again spotted a prototype for Saturn Aura/Opel Insignia. The vehicle spotted gives us a good glimpse of what's to come for Saturn's largest sedan and, for the first time, reveals what the production interior will look like.

The prototype appears to draw lightly from Opel's GTC concept, but it's definitely evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. Obviously the head and tail lamps are fake on this prototype, but we can imagine what will be in their place without too much difficulty (GM has also released a teaser image showing the Insignia's taillight).

The upcoming Aura/Insignia is based on GM's fresh Epsilon 2 platform. We're expecting similar powertrains to the current model - a couple of V6s and a hybrid - as well as front wheel drive. All wheel drive is a rumored possibility.

The prototype's gauge cluster is highlighted by four chrome-ringed dials — two large and two small — with clean looking faces. Chrome also accents the center-mounted gear shifter, giving the interior an up-scale feel. For the first time, spy shots reveal what the center stack will look like on the road-going model. Although the quality doesn't look quite up to production floor standards, the overall design can be inferred. Atop the center stack looks like a space that could house an LCD screen.

The Insignia will be released in late '08 as an '09 model in Europe, with U.S. sales of an Aura likely following a year later.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/future-saturn-aura.html

Nice. :thumbsup:

GM sure is using the heck out of their new turn signal and wiper stalk. This, the Provoq Concept, the LaCrosse spy shots, all show the new stalks in use. Good job.

Hey, it's a new Altima... Err, Accord... No wait.

Ah, what the hell, they all look the same now anyway.

So much for individuality

eh, FOG, I think it looks like the Malibu more than any of the Asians.

Wow thats a lot of buttons around that radio, I can see the automotive press tearing GM apart for reverting to the early 90's Oldsmobile 98/Toronado theory of 150 buttons is better then one.

I don't like the dash. honda and toyota have gotten button crazy and I just don't like it. Remember when GM went button crazy in the 80s? All the magazines hated it. Now . . . well . . . since honda and toyota do it they like it.

*sigh*

Based on the spy shots it's just not doing it for me.... I guess it's gonna be a Malibu LT2 or Regal in 2012

Uhuh. How many of you actually compared the new photos with the previous shots—this is not the same model.

looks pretty good interior wise, except the radio config.

Come on guys! Give the radio a chance... it's not the Black Tie after all! It's integrated!

Looks fine... it can't be any worse than a Camry, Accord, or the current AURA.

The previous-gen Honda Accord coupe was a featureless blimp, this appears to be a featureless blimp. It still reminds me of an Altima.

eh, FOG, I think it looks like the Malibu more than any of the Asians.

You must have forgot the Altima, then.

I still not much of a fan of the exterior based on spy shots. It's not very original. The interior looks interesting.

Uhuh. How many of you actually compared the new photos with the previous shots—this is not the same model.

hmmm...there's not any differences besides the wheels...unless you're talking about a different set of "previous shots".

my impressions of this car is that it's very evolutionary. but the stance is much better. I think it'll be nice. plus it's opel engineered, so the handling and drive this time around will be better.

Edited by turbo200

Look again. There are a number of significant differences—look at the rear door windows, and rear quarter panels. They are not the same. It's not just the photo angles, the first cars seen all have a very slender rear quarter window, and pronounced shoulders. The new car seemingly has a wider cabin at the rear, a higher roofline a much more conventional rear quarter window. If I'm not mistaken the center console is different as well, possibly even a different angle. I believe this is the Aura, and the previous shots were the Insignia.

Reminds me of the Altima... Some nice elements to the design but see it a day later and its meh.

That is one boooring design. Quite disappointing seeing that come out of GM Europe, especially, a division that has turned out some of the best concept and production vehicles in the past 10 years. Is the star fading?

Look again. There are a number of significant differences—look at the rear door windows, and rear quarter panels. They are not the same. It's not just the photo angles, the first cars seen all have a very slender rear quarter window, and pronounced shoulders. The new car seemingly has a wider cabin at the rear, a higher roofline a much more conventional rear quarter window. If I'm not mistaken the center console is different as well, possibly even a different angle. I believe this is the Aura, and the previous shots were the Insignia.

interesting....and noted

Maybe it is just the angle, but the previous photos showed a sleek 4-door coupe with a very aggressive rear window angle, and everyone now describes the new shots as a boring blob.

So, why does Europe get the cool one and NA get the boring one? I thought Saturn = Opel...

Looks like the same car to me...and I think it looks good.

It interests me more than the Malibu, and the interior looks like it will be great.

Maybe it is just the angle, but the previous photos showed a sleek 4-door coupe with a very aggressive rear window angle, and everyone now describes the new shots as a boring blob.

I don't see it... Looks the same to me. Seems rather silly for GM to develop two different greenhouses for one sedan.

I think it's the angle, but not the camera angle. It's the 'it's a GME car so we have to hate it' angle.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0