Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Aura/Insignia Spied

opelinsignia7iw0.jpg

Spy photographers have once again spotted a prototype for Saturn Aura/Opel Insignia. The vehicle spotted gives us a good glimpse of what's to come for Saturn's largest sedan and, for the first time, reveals what the production interior will look like.

The prototype appears to draw lightly from Opel's GTC concept, but it's definitely evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. Obviously the head and tail lamps are fake on this prototype, but we can imagine what will be in their place without too much difficulty (GM has also released a teaser image showing the Insignia's taillight).

The upcoming Aura/Insignia is based on GM's fresh Epsilon 2 platform. We're expecting similar powertrains to the current model - a couple of V6s and a hybrid - as well as front wheel drive. All wheel drive is a rumored possibility.

The prototype's gauge cluster is highlighted by four chrome-ringed dials — two large and two small — with clean looking faces. Chrome also accents the center-mounted gear shifter, giving the interior an up-scale feel. For the first time, spy shots reveal what the center stack will look like on the road-going model. Although the quality doesn't look quite up to production floor standards, the overall design can be inferred. Atop the center stack looks like a space that could house an LCD screen.

The Insignia will be released in late '08 as an '09 model in Europe, with U.S. sales of an Aura likely following a year later.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/future-saturn-aura.html

I don't like the dash. honda and toyota have gotten button crazy and I just don't like it. Remember when GM went button crazy in the 80s? All the magazines hated it. Now . . . well . . . since honda and toyota do it they like it.

Uhuh. How many of you actually compared the new photos with the previous shots—this is not the same model.

hmmm...there's not any differences besides the wheels...unless you're talking about a different set of "previous shots".

my impressions of this car is that it's very evolutionary. but the stance is much better. I think it'll be nice. plus it's opel engineered, so the handling and drive this time around will be better.

Edited by turbo200

Look again. There are a number of significant differences—look at the rear door windows, and rear quarter panels. They are not the same. It's not just the photo angles, the first cars seen all have a very slender rear quarter window, and pronounced shoulders. The new car seemingly has a wider cabin at the rear, a higher roofline a much more conventional rear quarter window. If I'm not mistaken the center console is different as well, possibly even a different angle. I believe this is the Aura, and the previous shots were the Insignia.

Look again. There are a number of significant differences—look at the rear door windows, and rear quarter panels. They are not the same. It's not just the photo angles, the first cars seen all have a very slender rear quarter window, and pronounced shoulders. The new car seemingly has a wider cabin at the rear, a higher roofline a much more conventional rear quarter window. If I'm not mistaken the center console is different as well, possibly even a different angle. I believe this is the Aura, and the previous shots were the Insignia.

interesting....and noted

Maybe it is just the angle, but the previous photos showed a sleek 4-door coupe with a very aggressive rear window angle, and everyone now describes the new shots as a boring blob.

I don't see it... Looks the same to me. Seems rather silly for GM to develop two different greenhouses for one sedan.

Maybe it is just the angle, but the previous photos showed a sleek 4-door coupe with a very aggressive rear window angle, and everyone now describes the new shots as a boring blob.

I think it's the angle, but not the camera angle. It's the 'it's a GME car so we have to hate it' angle.

ZL-1, speaking for myself only, I am an equal-opportunity critic when it comes to design. I said the same thing about this car when the first set of spyshots were posted here, before any forts were built. I also freely point out perceived flaws in the G8 as a Pontiac.

ZL-1, speaking for myself only, I am an equal-opportunity critic when it comes to design. I said the same thing about this car when the first set of spyshots were posted here, before any forts were built. I also freely point out perceived flaws in the G8 as a Pontiac.

I know :AH-HA_wink:

But I feel the tone here has shifted towards hating GME, and all of that just because GM is reassessing how to provide RWD vehicles in NA. I think it's unfair to the people who work at GME.

Edited by ZL-1

I know :AH-HA_wink:

But I feel the tone here has shifted towards hating GME, and all of that just because GM is reassessing how to provide RWD vehicles in NA. I think it's unfair to the people who work at GME.

MEH, I wouldn't worry to much about it ZL-1, GME is top dog now, everything is fixed and they can't change it, which is why you see all the hate. :smilewide:

You know GM's biggest fans and toughest critics, right? Let them hate, it's all for all for naught, besides most of it has been directed towards me anyway and I can take it. I'm a big boy! :yes: What I find odd is some moderators (Camino I'm speaking of you here) on this forum, who I would assume should stay neutral on their opinions about other members of the forum, have actually said they hate me on this public forum. :nono:

How sad, and only because my opinion differs from their own on what is being done and how things should/are being run at GM.

Oh well, I can only hope for better days ahead as GME helps GM as a whole meet the CAFE standards that have been set by the U.S. Government and the upcoming CO2 standards of the European Union.

Oh and Camino, I do not hate you, which is why I called you on the phone before any of the bad news hit about the Zeta reduction plans and tried to explain my views and why I was going to do what I did and will continue to do. In a way I tried to warn you about what is coming.

Oh well I tried, I really did. :yes:

Your friend, der Bö®gÉr

MEH, I wouldn't worry to much about it ZL-1, GME is top dog now, everything is fixed and they can't change it, which is why you see all the hate. :smilewide:

You know GM's biggest fans and toughest critics, right? Let them hate, it's all for all for naught, besides most of it has been directed towards me anyway and I can take it. I'm a big boy! :yes: What I find odd is some moderators (Camino I'm speaking of you here) on this forum, who I would assume should stay neutral on their opinions about other members of the forum, have actually said they hate me on this public forum. :nono:

How sad, and only because my opinion differs from their own on what is being done and how things should/are being run at GM.

Oh well, I can only hope for better days ahead as GME helps GM as a whole meet the CAFE standards that have been set by the U.S. Government and the upcoming CO2 standards of the European Union.

Oh and Camino, I do not hate you, which is why I called you on the phone before any of the bad news hit about the Zeta reduction plans and tried to explain my views and why I was going to do what I did and will continue to do. In a way I tried to warn you about what is coming.

Your friend, der Bö®gÉr

I'm not sure that I understand the GME issues here, but I'm a little concerned that GME, an entity that has had problems focusing its attention on delivering consistent, desireable & profitable smaller Euro-zone cars is in charge of any global efforts by GM as a whole.

I think you might be confusing hatred with deep concern. Despite all types of money being plowed into it, GME hasn't produced anything in modern history that could be considered top notch-competitive, yes. Some great sellers, yes. But World-Class platforms that blow away VW, Ford or, god-forbid, one of the German big 3? Nope.

And now they've been handed Saab & Saturn's complete future (basically), as well as lead development on anything CAFE dictated in the US. Scary considering much of the GME stuff that has gotten stateside has been mediocre or worse, IMO.

Your friend, der Bö®gÉr

C'mon now PCS, you know full well the tounge-in-cheek nature of that comment of mine.

What I do hate is what you say is true, and the cars that come from it.

We've all seen what european management does to American car companies before, and it isn't pretty.

What good is a warning anyway, if the decisions are already made?

I fully intend to fight this and make my feelings about it clear in any way I can.

As for the car in these pics, it appears as an anonymous, me-too sedan with nothing to even say what brand it might be nor its country of origin. It comes across as the definition of non-descript. I have no reason, by looking at it, to give it any credit as a design that shows even the smallest unique attribute. Perhaps that will change once the cammo is gone, but it does not look promising.

Maybe the previous pics were of the hatchback and this is the sedan (assuming the Insignia will have 4dr sedan and 5dr hatchback bodies like the Vectra).. ?

Your friend, der Bö®gÉr

then why do you comport yourself in such a manner so as to dash people's hopes and dreams. you do your part to act half your age and atoganize a group of devoted followers.

as for RWD, GM and the board members here....life goes on, they will not live and die by the fun cars GM produces. we can only hope the right people are guiding GM to incorporate a new generations' ideas of desirability in a car.

Edited by turbo200

Maybe the previous pics were of the hatchback and this is the sedan (assuming the Insignia will have 4dr sedan and 5dr hatchback bodies like the Vectra).. ?

Could be.

One thing of note: compare the shots done at different times and check out which car has RHD and which one has LHD.

Your friend, der Bö®gÉr

It's not that people have a problem with different views (for the most part anyway), it's more like you make it seem that these Zeta cancellations are not happening because of CAFE, but more of your personal hate for Holden. You can't tell me by putting fuel efficient powertrains in Zeta it wouldn't meet CAFE. Then you speak of GME as all powerful and they decide what we get in the US to hell what anyone else thinks.

You must know that enthusiasts are the backbone of a company. They are the ones that stick with them through good times and bad and defend them and help convince people to give them a shot. They are what keeps the hope up. If you alienate them and forget about them and their desires completely, you loose them, and thus the hope is gone and no one will be there to spread the word.

Enzl makes an excellent point in that GME products, while good, have not been class leaders, and some have the,m have been poorly rated. The Vectra got some pretty bad reviews for it's lousy chassis tuning, especially in VXR form, where the Mondeo is a superior product. The Astra is missing simple things like cupholders and so on. So there's gonna me skepticism, not only because it seems enthusiasts are being ignored and denied some great products, but also that the products that are supposed to be at the forefront of GM's lineup have in the past, not been class leading.

Anyway, back to the car. The interior looks very promising. The exterior I'm not sure about. With the camo on it looks kind of bland and has an Altima vibe to it. Still, it may look better with the camo off, so final judgment waists until then. The car looks teh same in the various spy shots, and I see not hatchback cutout...I think it's just the angle of the camera that's throwing things off.

Edited by Dodgefan

I don't think it's the company itself that ever causes anyone to hate it.. It's the face of the company. If you have a horrible spokesman or representative... You're certainly not going to help yourself any. Look at what George Bush has done for the US. How many people do you think he's caused to hate the US?

And for what it's worth, I never liked what I saw of the NG Aura. :P

It's not that people have a problem with different views (for the most part anyway), it's more like you make it seem that these Zeta cancellations are not happening because of CAFE, but more of your personal hate for Holden. You can't tell me by putting fuel efficient powertrains in Zeta it wouldn't meet CAFE. Then you speak of GME as all powerful and they decide what we get in the US to hell what anyone else thinks.

You must know that enthusiasts are the backbone of a company. They are the ones that stick with them through good times and bad and defend them and help convince people to give them a shot. They are what keeps the hope up. If you alienate them and forget about them and their desires completely, you loose them, and thus the hope is gone and no one will be there to spread the word.

Exactly.

Edited by blackviper8891

1) The car in these spy shots is horrible; I stated the same concerns about some of the original spy shots when they broke.

2) GM Europe doesn't need to be controlling anything and I doubt that they are. Europe doesn't have a car industry anymore for a reason, americans run it and americans will continue to run it and our american industry. The Europeans might have input, but that's it.

3) PCS, it's nothing personal, but if this were my site you would've been IP banned by now. Not really because of the news you bring, but because of the way you rub it in our faces. Then again, as many will tell you that have posted with me here for a while, I have never been here to make friends; even when I was a part of the staff.

4) Let GM "Europe up" it's line... I'll just buy used or buy from someone else.

I don't think it's the company itself that ever causes anyone to hate it.. It's the face of the company. If you have a horrible spokesman or representative... You're certainly not going to help yourself any. Look at what George Bush has done for the US. How many people do you think he's caused to hate the US?

I agree with you in general terms that the face of a company might ruin it's reputation/image, but what face are you talking about? Carl-Peter Forster? With a couple of exceptions, the people who post here never met the man, nor have they read anything regarding his vision of the auto business... I can only speak for myself, but I would love to talk to him, as much as I'd love to talk to Lutz, Wagoner, or any top executive of GM, Ford, Chrysler, or any other automaker. To me it's about undestanding the evolution of the business: as simple as that.

Yawn...somebody left another bar of soap in the shower to long, slapped it with a set of 20-spoke wheels and called it an Opel/Saturn. Wake me when the guy who designed the Camaro is allowed to design something mainstream, and when they decide to drive the rear wheels like they should. Oh, and GM...show the product at the show on Saturday/Sunday and have it in the showrooms to buy on Monday. I am growing tired of the wait for my Camaro.

This move to GME has me rethinking my recent move back to GM over BMW. Maybe I need to start looking back to Bavaria for my rides. And I love My Tahoe and my Vette, but this doom and gloom, defeatist attitude from GMNA on the Zeta platform mates I have been creaming over for the past three years may be enough to get me to throw my hands up and walk. The CTS is great, the G8 is promising, but it was the variants that they just cancelled (wagon and Ute) that I was most interested in. If this is the future of GMNA to make a bunch of Me too sedans that are FWD and copies of everything I hate about Asian cars, then I am afraid they have lost my interest.

If I stay with GM, it will be in a SUV/Crossover. Or something that they built before they all pussed out.

But...GME is godly, everyone wants their cars and not crappy RWD cars with style and identity. Right?

Right?

Once more, I find it funny that this brand of GM has never seemed to turn out something Europeans rags claim as world class, yet they're now in charge of GMNA and they think they know what's best?

Oh well, at least they've got the Camaro, so at least there's one product I'll buy from GM (and maybe a CTS)

GME running the show in North America will make the Daimler Chrysler merger look like a sound long term investment.

I think "trainwreck" is a best case scenario under that circumstance.

I agree with you in general terms that the face of a company might ruin it's reputation/image, but what face are you talking about? Carl-Peter Forster? With a couple of exceptions, the people who post here never met the man, nor have they read anything regarding his vision of the auto business... I can only speak for myself, but I would love to talk to him, as much as I'd love to talk to Lutz, Wagoner, or any top executive of GM, Ford, Chrysler, or any other automaker. To me it's about undestanding the evolution of the business: as simple as that.

Not who I was thinking of, but he fits, as well. You see... there's this certain member (while not the face of the company, he sort of halfassedly represents it on these forums) running around obsessed with my old ticking Quad4. I wish he'd obsess over my KLZE... It was smooth and made wonderful sounds. Things that tick, though... They all blow up eventually. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

You must have forgot the Altima, then.

I still not much of a fan of the exterior based on spy shots. It's not very original. The interior looks interesting.

This is definitely true about the Altima. That being said, the current model Altima just looks awkward to me. I think it is the massive wheel arches paired with the weird A-pillar. It just looks 'stretched'. The 'Insignia' holds its proportions much better in my opinion.

See, the current Aura looks fantastic because it does what the G6 attempts to do so well. It uses curvacious (For a sedan) design to COMPLEMENT hard edges.

This just looks like a typical asian blob. It seems that the american designs are getting more edges while the euro designs are getting more curves, which is in sharp (no pun intended) contrast to what was happening a few years ago.

I hope I'm wrong about it.