The O.C.

4.3L "Baby LT1" V8

88 posts in this topic

OK....so I'm flipping through some old C&D rags and in the 10-93 issue, highlighting the "1994 New Cars" there was an article in the Technical Highlights section talking about GM's new "baby" LT1 variant....a 4.3L version that would be the base Caprice Classic engine along with the optional 5.7L LT1....

Does anyone remember this engine? I don't even remember it existing.....and surprised we didn't see it in other applications (might it have fit tranversly in a GM-10 of the time??)

Here's how the two engines compared:

4.3L, SFI V8 (5.7L SFI V8)

200 hp (260 hp)

245 lb/ft torque (335 lb/ft torque)

Let me know if you know anything about it...!

OK....so I'm flipping through some old C&D rags and in the 10-93 issue, highlighting the "1994 New Cars" there was an article in the Technical Highlights section talking about GM's new "baby" LT1 variant....a 4.3L version that would be the base Caprice Classic engine along with the optional 5.7L LT1....

Does anyone remember this engine? I don't even remember it existing.....and surprised we didn't see it in other applications (might it have fit tranversly in a GM-10 of the time??)

Here's how the two engines compared:

4.3L, SFI V8 (5.7L SFI V8)

200 hp (260 hp)

245 lb/ft torque (335 lb/ft torque)

Let me know if you know anything about it...!

Don't remember that one at all. In fact, I doubt that it actually was produced.

Don't remember that one at all. In fact, I doubt that it actually was produced.

That's what I'm trying to find out.....this wasn't the "spy information" section of MT, but in the new-car section. And the rags always get that info from new-car long-leads and press releases.

So I'm betting it's accurate and GM had plans for it.....now if they actually carried through with production or not, I'm not sure......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cap...inal_Generation

it is wiki, but it shows up on here.

ENGINE CODE: L99

I seen at least 1 caprice with the 4.3L badges around here, but kinda assumed it was the V6.

guessing this is the smallest V8 GM made since Buick had it's 3.5L aluminum block..as far as the last ~50 years go.

nevermind, looked it up... the monza had a 4.3L v8 option according to it's page on wiki

I owned a '91 Caprice wagon that I factory ordered new, then put American Racing wheels on it, 220W amp with 8" bazookas in the back, etc. But the '91 wagon only came with the 5.0 litre. In '92 they offered the 5.7. I saw a prototype of an SS version of the wagon in '94, I think, which had the color keyed grille, mags, and a version of the 'vette engine. I was ready to whip out my checkbook for that one (would have been a blast to tow my boat), but apparently GM never actually went ahead and built them.

it was a boat anchor

had barely more torque than the 3.8L 2 years later. I bet this engine could make ~280 HP with a high redline (6.7K) now a days....downsize the external size and throw it in an "SS" 'bu, or the w-bodies with a 6 speed manual.

edit: or put this into Alpha

Edited by loki

it was a boat anchor

Well, maybe not exactly.....for the lack of torque, it had a solid 30 more horsepower than the original 5.0L TBI V8 that was introduced in the Caprice Classic (and acutally 5 more horsepower than the TBI 5.7L.) And I bet the SFI 4.3L V8 would have been a bit more fuel efficient than the 5.0L.....

I vaguely remember reading about that engine years ago..looks like it was made '94-96 and only used in the Caprice..

ive seen bubble caprices with them... id rather have an LT1 :P

In fact, I doubt that it actually was produced.

lol

I always knew about this engine.

Pontiac did some experiments adding a supercharger to it and put in a Firebird. I think it was a high 13 sec car. Probably better gas mileage.

I should see if I can find this article.....

Some GM based car mag did a build up of one...300hp? Had to be reved pretty high to get that. I think it was in some 55-57 Chevy project car.

A 4.3 version of the LT1?!

How did I miss the existence of this thing?

Likely because it was only in the Caprice.Who pays attention to them? lol

Very odd--must have been some kind of experiment---the fact it was only used in one vehicle.

Well, it was a blink and you miss it thing...apparently only in the Caprice from '94-96....in '94-96 the Impala SS got the attention, the Caprice faded away..

Edited by moltar

Still, I don't think I've ever missed the entire existence of any GM V8 before.

Even the lame ones.

I'm embarassed.

Still, I don't think I've ever missed the entire existence of any GM V8 before.

Even the lame ones.

I'm embarassed.

There's a few other obscure small displacement V8s I was barely aware of--the Chevy 262 of '75-76 and 267 of '79-82, Pontiac's 265 in '80-81, and Olds' 260 of '75-82.

There's a few other obscure small displacement V8s I was barely aware of--the Chevy 262 of '75-76 and 267 of '79-82, Pontiac's 265 in '80-81, and Olds' 260 of '75-82.

And for some reason I remember all of those, but not this one. :blink:

If it were an obscure Caddy or BOP V8 I wouldn't feel so bad about it, but for me to miss a Chevy V8 is bizarre.

the only reason i know is my friends a member of the caprice/impala club..

And for some reason I remember all of those, but not this one. :blink:

If it were an obscure Caddy or BOP V8 I wouldn't feel so bad about it, but for me to miss a Chevy V8 is bizarre.

Well you did live through the 70's, I'm sure there are large gaps of time missing from your memory. :smilewide:

I remember this engine, and I believe most Caprices from 1994 to 1996 used it. I understand the business reasons for dropping the Caprice and converting the factory to SUV production, but I would now the owner of a Caprice or Roadmaster had GM continued building the car as Ford continued with the Panthers.

I was going to reply and say it didn't exist and you saw a typo...but I found evidence this exists all over the internet.

I'm embarassed too...

Another engine that GM designed only to be used for a few years. (Shortstar, anyone?)

The 4.3l V8 "Baby LT1" has the L99 production code and is the W in the VIN for B-body Caprices from 1994 to 1996. The displacement is 265 ci just like the original 1955 V8.

There's a book out there about Chevy police cars from 1955-'96. They mention the 4.3L V8 as a Caprice mill in the chapters for 1994-'96 and I believe there is even some performance data. I'll see if I can find the book and post some more info.