Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The new production-spec Honda Pilot out

Well, it's finally visible now.

Just like expected, exactly the "concept" vehicle but with slighter smaller production wheels, some more typical interior coloring, and that's about it. Looks decent enough, just bland and boxy as could BE and with a bizarre nose--again, all direct from the largely production-spec concept:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-pilot.html

Guest aatbloke

As with the overwhelmingly vast majority of other large 4x4s/SUVs as well as pick-up trucks, it's a graceless, unattractive, forgettable box on four wheels.

it's pretty terrible all around. the interior is beyond repair. it's a little reminiscent of the endeavor interior, bad the endvr's is alright, this is an abomination.

but guys, the thing is you don't get it. part of the pilot's appeal is that the women's purse can go where the shifter wants to be. for them to keep it off the console means that princess mommy still has a place to put her f-king 250 dollar handbag and have it close to her legs. that alone will tip the buying decision in honda's favor in a lot of cases.

all that said, i am warming a bit to the shifter loc on the chrysler vans, when the routan hits i will try it on for size and see if its a bad spot.

and lest ye all forget, this is AMerica full of dumbasses, this thing could look worse than my aztek (if it doesn't already) and lame brained yuppies with overpaid paper pusher jobs would still line up to buy it at outrageous prices.

love this quote on autoblog comments

This "thing" is the long lost soul brother to the Pontiac Aztek. Yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

i am actually offended as an aztek owner because i don't my vehicle associated with really ugly trucks like this new pilot.

trust me, women would rather have their expensive purses with all their stuff in it closer to their legs than anything else.

Edited by regfootball

The comparison to the Aztek is funny. The only vehicle so far that has come close was the first B9. The Pilot is goofy looking, but not grotesque like an Aztek. :AH-HA_wink:

Except with the B9, mostly, aside from the nose the rest of the body was actually pleasant looking. This has a very awkward box shape to it, identical to a new Jeep but with very badly/Chinese looking details pushed on. Very, very strange. The current bland-o-matic version actually is more pleasing, at least from a cohesive level.

I do like the interior, but I like every Honda interior, so that's me.

At least it should be polished to drive...so you just won't have to look at it. Seriously, even overall looks, and even from an engineer's perspective, how could you work for years and still end up with a design that is so mish-mash and un-cohesive? Just odd.

Why bring up the Aztek? The 2001 Aztek began as a design exercise in '99 and GM knew, at best, it was a stopgap measure, based on an existing platform with a finite budget. I give GM credit for being the first into the CUV craze, even if their attempt wasn't great.

If we are to be fair, let's compare the '01 Aztec with its contemporaries of the day, not Honda's best efforts in 2008!

GM replaced the Aztec with the Acadia. Honda has replaced one boring design with another boring design. Considering other offerings out there (Edge, Acadia and others), this vehicle is a joke.

It looks like some sort of robotic Anime character to me.

edit: Holy crap! That is a LOT of buttons on the center stack! The shifter manages to be even more pointless than the one on the Chrysler mini-vans. The interior surfaces on the dash and center stack look amazingly cheap.

edit 2: Strangely, it instantly makes the current Pilot look like a 15 year old Isuzu. The price range would get you into a host of more attractive/functional vehicles including; Edge, Vue, Acadia, Outlook, RX, XC90, Escape Hybrid.

Why bring up the Aztek? The 2001 Aztek began as a design exercise in '99 and GM knew, at best, it was a stopgap measure, based on an existing platform with a finite budget. I give GM credit for being the first into the CUV craze, even if their attempt wasn't great.

If we are to be fair, let's compare the '01 Aztec with its contemporaries of the day, not Honda's best efforts in 2008!

GM replaced the Aztec with the Acadia. Honda has replaced one boring design with another boring design. Considering other offerings out there (Edge, Acadia and others), this vehicle is a joke.

exactly. my point exactly. thing is, my aztek is a more functional CUV than many of the new ones out there, too.

exactly. my point exactly. thing is, my aztek is a more functional CUV than many of the new ones out there, too.

that's not saying much. My 1996 Roadmaster wagon is more functional than most of the new CUVs out there... and gets marginally better mileage too.

The CR-V came out and was blasted to Mars and back for its goofy styling. Yet it was an incredible sales success. This vehicle follows a similar formula. The front end is nothing but goofy and I think that will be a hit with many buyers. The sides are where Honda has not done the best job, as it hits the SUV styling on the head but doesn't do anything special to prevent the styling from aging quickly. It is functional, however I think some styling details would go a long ways to give it character (imagine the CR-V without the back window swooping down).

If anything, this vehicle will sell because of its functionality.

The CR-V came out and was blasted to Mars and back for its goofy styling. Yet it was an incredible sales success. This vehicle follows a similar formula. The front end is nothing but goofy and I think that will be a hit with many buyers. The sides are where Honda has not done the best job, as it hits the SUV styling on the head but doesn't do anything special to prevent the styling from aging quickly. It is functional, however I think some styling details would go a long ways to give it character (imagine the CR-V without the back window swooping down).

If anything, this vehicle will sell because of its functionality.

It'll sell because early 30s, assistant manager, fat chicks who wear stretch pants will continue to buy the things they are familiar with regardless of how it looks...... obviously.

it's not innovative, not good looking, and all seriousness except at the front where it's cute. this doesn't make much sense to me and seems like a misstep for Honda. The current one has been a give away car for some time, I don't believe that will go away after initial interest and newness wears off on this one. plus there will be increased competition in the large crossover category.

it's not innovative, not good looking, and all seriousness except at the front where it's cute. this doesn't make much sense to me and seems like a misstep for Honda. The current one has been a give away car for some time, I don't believe that will go away after initial interest and newness wears off on this one. plus there will be increased competition in the large crossover category.

Most new vehicles aren't innovative. And we don't know enough about the new Pilot to make any judgments as far as that is concerned.

It is fine looking, just awkward and goofy to us as was the CR-V and Civic when they came out.

Yeah, the CR-V has become the 'secretary's car' of the 00s. At least secretaries 25 years ago had better taste and drove 6 cylinder Camaros.

It'll sell because early 30s, assistant manager, fat chicks who wear stretch pants will continue to buy the things they are familiar with regardless of how it looks...... obviously.

Where do you guys get your market data? I am interested to know what professions drive what cars and their age ranges as well. I assume there is a comprehensive survey that gathers data from every new car purchase and gives the new owner's information in a large database somewhere on the Internet.

all i'm saying is it doesn't strike any new ground and is cute. it's inoffensive and innocuous, slightly less enduring as the last one, but evenly upscale. it will be as relevant as the last one, which is to say significant but not that much. honda has an upscale design theme that's working, this isn't a step backwards, but they're not my favorite either, and they're still very very quirky, from bottom to top.

Toaster on wheel(Honda Element) meets the downgraded Jeep Liberty body with the wrinkled Pathfinder back?. Hmmm. I am not sure how successful that is. Yuck, I am sorry, but I don't like it. Never a fan of Honda nor any Asian imports to begin with, and that's saying a lot, for I am Asian myself, but who prefers Domestic million times over anything from overseas, this is actually a reverse design rather than going forward. My younger sister's 2006(I think, the first model) Pilot looks worlds better than this grotesque piece of crap.

I do think it will still sell since it IS afterall, made by one of the most popular brand. This tells a lot. If you were not going to rip off other designs and make your own unique design, it has to be done right, otherwise, it will result in a disaster like this...... To me, I think the highly derivative new Borrego SUV from Kia looks even better than this non-sense.

R.I.P. Honda. (Well, I hope, Sorry Honda fans)

Also, for those of you chewing down Aztek, I don't think it's a bad looking car at all. It is far, far superior than the non-sense like Honda Element, Scion xD, Daewoo Rezzo, even Rav4(I am sorry Rav4 fans, but I personally think Rav4 is 1000 times uglier than the Aztek) and so many craps that are nothing more than a sorry excuse as a new set of wheels.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Never a fan of Honda nor any Asian imports to begin with

Then what's the point? You're obviously going to hate it regardless of what it is. Why so closed-minded?

this is actually a reverse design rather than going forward. My younger sister's 2006(I think, the first model) Pilot looks worlds better than this grotesque piece of crap.

I disagree. The old Pilot post-MMC is alright looking, but is very soft and reminds me of a minivan. The new one is an improvement, and I have actually started to like the design.

I do think it will still sell since it IS afterall, made by one of the most popular brand. This tells a lot.

So because the design does not visually appeal to you, that automatically means it will only sell because of the brand? Why do so many people jump to this reasoning so quickly? I don't suppose the Pilot will sell because of its functionality. Must be the H! :AH-HA_wink:

Also, for those of you chewing down Aztek, I don't think it's a bad looking car at all. It is far, far superior than the non-sense like Honda Element, Scion xD, Daewoo Rezzo, even Rav4(I am sorry Rav4 fans, but I personally think Rav4 is 1000 times uglier than the Aztek) and so many craps that are nothing more than a sorry excuse as a new set of wheels.

You do realize that the Element is a purpose built vehicle (like the Aztek), and should never be lumped into the same category as the trendy xD (although it seems to be thrown in there quite often, which shows how little most people know about it). The Element is a no non-sense vehicle, perfect for outdoor activities. I've actually wanted one for a while now for camping, snowboarding, airsofting, and many other things, especially since the head lights are now more normal looking on the SC model. The only problem is Honda doesn't offer AWD on the SC model, only the base model with the goofy head lights (damn!).

Wow. That's ugly!

Unlike the CRV or Civic, I predict tougher going for this thing. Isuzu Trooper meets Beenie Baby is not the direction Honda should be going, IMHO.

I love Honda's engineering driven culture and their 4 cylinder engines are the best on the planet. This thing is just different for the sake of being different.

Unlike the CRV or Civic, I predict tougher going for this thing.

It wasn't tough enough for the CR-V? So far it seems exactly the same as far as reactions from TOV people and from magazines. (and of course here)

Edited by siegen

yeah, and i won't be caught dead in this grotesque hideous ugly pilot.

I would rebut this by saying I would never be caught dead in the ______ Aztek, but the fact of the matter is I'm not that biased and if there was some reason I needed an Aztek I would drive one.

It wasn't tough enough for the CR-V? So far it seems exactly the same as far as reactions from TOV people and from magazines. (and of course here)

The CRV is the best selling CUV on the market, so the answer is no.

This beast will have trouble matching it's predecessor's sales.

The CRV is the best selling CUV on the market, so the answer is no.

This beast will have trouble matching it's predecessor's sales.

The CR-V is indeed the best selling, but it only became so after the redesign. And you can't say that it did not receive at least this much if not more blasting of the exterior design. And the CR-V also received considerable drivetrain blasting, something the Pilot hasn't received. I see no reason why this new Pilot won't increase sales over the previous gen.

Here are some more flattering photos of the Pilot. It has been receiving pretty positive reviews from the magazines.

2009hondapilot01.jpg

2009hondapilot02.jpg

• 1 month later...
that's not saying much. My 1996 Roadmaster wagon is more functional than most of the new CUVs out there... and gets marginally better mileage too.

:cheers:

Saw a last-generation Olds Custom Cruiser about a month ago - absolutely stunning, perfect condition, in white-over-grey two-tone with alloy wheels. When it pulled up next to a Hyundai Santa Fe in roughly the same color combination, I realized how far we've fallen.

The Honda Pilot is, like so many other would-be SUVs, not much more than a lifted wagon with four-wheel drive. (And yes, that includes the Acadia/Outlook/Traverse. I don't count the Enclave, because it's clearly trying to go somewhere different.)

When the world finally realizes that the "lifted" part is basically irrelevant, perhaps we can approach sanity again.

The CR-V is indeed the best selling, but it only became so after the redesign. And you can't say that it did not receive at least this much if not more blasting of the exterior design. And the CR-V also received considerable drivetrain blasting, something the Pilot hasn't received. I see no reason why this new Pilot won't increase sales over the previous gen.

Here are some more flattering photos of the Pilot. It has been receiving pretty positive reviews from the magazines.

2009hondapilot01.jpg

2009hondapilot02.jpg

Does Honda have a bias against normal-looking grilles? Between this, the Ridgeline, and the new Acura "wedge-tooth", I'm not sure anyone's actually in charge over at Honda R&D.

Honda offers an optional grille, which will probably be more appealing to car enthusiasts.

hondapilot_optionalgrille.jpg

Of course it is a $330 option. And I still don't quite think it fixes it entirely. Regardless, it is a goofy looking vehicle and goofy seems to work well for Honda.