Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caddycruiser

The new production-spec Honda Pilot out

47 posts in this topic

Well, it's finally visible now.

Just like expected, exactly the "concept" vehicle but with slighter smaller production wheels, some more typical interior coloring, and that's about it. Looks decent enough, just bland and boxy as could BE and with a bizarre nose--again, all direct from the largely production-spec concept:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-pilot.html

Oh man, that nose looks awful.

Atrocious.

The nose looks goofy. Otherwise it is fairly bland.

I like the rear, the little angle on the tail lights gives it some character.

As with the overwhelmingly vast majority of other large 4x4s/SUVs as well as pick-up trucks, it's a graceless, unattractive, forgettable box on four wheels.

They took a Jeep Liberty and made it ugly. That front end is horrible. The rear is OK but I've seen better and the rest is pretty generic. The interior looks interesting besides the stupid placement of the shifter. Chrysler has started a bad trend.

:puke: on the front. lol

the rear is ok.

i still find the shifter placement odd, but "out of the way" for normal uses, i guess.

There is no excuse for that grille design. It is very poorly executed.

The rest is generic and fairly devoid of any character, but, to be honest, I do not bitterly hate it in a strange sort of way.

The headlights make it look like it's on Ecstasy or something. :blink:

That's just creepy...

Edited by Chris_Doane

it's pretty terrible all around. the interior is beyond repair. it's a little reminiscent of the endeavor interior, bad the endvr's is alright, this is an abomination.

but guys, the thing is you don't get it. part of the pilot's appeal is that the women's purse can go where the shifter wants to be. for them to keep it off the console means that princess mommy still has a place to put her f-king 250 dollar handbag and have it close to her legs. that alone will tip the buying decision in honda's favor in a lot of cases.

all that said, i am warming a bit to the shifter loc on the chrysler vans, when the routan hits i will try it on for size and see if its a bad spot.

and lest ye all forget, this is AMerica full of dumbasses, this thing could look worse than my aztek (if it doesn't already) and lame brained yuppies with overpaid paper pusher jobs would still line up to buy it at outrageous prices.

love this quote on autoblog comments

This "thing" is the long lost soul brother to the Pontiac Aztek. Yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

i am actually offended as an aztek owner because i don't my vehicle associated with really ugly trucks like this new pilot.

trust me, women would rather have their expensive purses with all their stuff in it closer to their legs than anything else.

Edited by regfootball

The comparison to the Aztek is funny. The only vehicle so far that has come close was the first B9. The Pilot is goofy looking, but not grotesque like an Aztek. :AH-HA_wink:

The comparison to the Aztek is funny. The only vehicle so far that has come close was the first B9. The Pilot is goofy looking, but not grotesque like an Aztek. :AH-HA_wink:

Except with the B9, mostly, aside from the nose the rest of the body was actually pleasant looking. This has a very awkward box shape to it, identical to a new Jeep but with very badly/Chinese looking details pushed on. Very, very strange. The current bland-o-matic version actually is more pleasing, at least from a cohesive level.

I do like the interior, but I like every Honda interior, so that's me.

At least it should be polished to drive...so you just won't have to look at it. Seriously, even overall looks, and even from an engineer's perspective, how could you work for years and still end up with a design that is so mish-mash and un-cohesive? Just odd.

The exterior looks cheap all around. Maybe if it wasn't gray it wouldn't look so cheap, but I can't see it looking anything better than bland in any color. The interior is ok I suppose, nothing too exciting though.

Why bring up the Aztek? The 2001 Aztek began as a design exercise in '99 and GM knew, at best, it was a stopgap measure, based on an existing platform with a finite budget. I give GM credit for being the first into the CUV craze, even if their attempt wasn't great.

If we are to be fair, let's compare the '01 Aztec with its contemporaries of the day, not Honda's best efforts in 2008!

GM replaced the Aztec with the Acadia. Honda has replaced one boring design with another boring design. Considering other offerings out there (Edge, Acadia and others), this vehicle is a joke.

It looks like some sort of robotic Anime character to me.

edit: Holy crap! That is a LOT of buttons on the center stack! The shifter manages to be even more pointless than the one on the Chrysler mini-vans. The interior surfaces on the dash and center stack look amazingly cheap.

edit 2: Strangely, it instantly makes the current Pilot look like a 15 year old Isuzu. The price range would get you into a host of more attractive/functional vehicles including; Edge, Vue, Acadia, Outlook, RX, XC90, Escape Hybrid.

Why bring up the Aztek? The 2001 Aztek began as a design exercise in '99 and GM knew, at best, it was a stopgap measure, based on an existing platform with a finite budget. I give GM credit for being the first into the CUV craze, even if their attempt wasn't great.

If we are to be fair, let's compare the '01 Aztec with its contemporaries of the day, not Honda's best efforts in 2008!

GM replaced the Aztec with the Acadia. Honda has replaced one boring design with another boring design. Considering other offerings out there (Edge, Acadia and others), this vehicle is a joke.

exactly. my point exactly. thing is, my aztek is a more functional CUV than many of the new ones out there, too.

exactly. my point exactly. thing is, my aztek is a more functional CUV than many of the new ones out there, too.

that's not saying much. My 1996 Roadmaster wagon is more functional than most of the new CUVs out there... and gets marginally better mileage too.

The CR-V came out and was blasted to Mars and back for its goofy styling. Yet it was an incredible sales success. This vehicle follows a similar formula. The front end is nothing but goofy and I think that will be a hit with many buyers. The sides are where Honda has not done the best job, as it hits the SUV styling on the head but doesn't do anything special to prevent the styling from aging quickly. It is functional, however I think some styling details would go a long ways to give it character (imagine the CR-V without the back window swooping down).

If anything, this vehicle will sell because of its functionality.

The CR-V came out and was blasted to Mars and back for its goofy styling. Yet it was an incredible sales success. This vehicle follows a similar formula. The front end is nothing but goofy and I think that will be a hit with many buyers. The sides are where Honda has not done the best job, as it hits the SUV styling on the head but doesn't do anything special to prevent the styling from aging quickly. It is functional, however I think some styling details would go a long ways to give it character (imagine the CR-V without the back window swooping down).

If anything, this vehicle will sell because of its functionality.

It'll sell because early 30s, assistant manager, fat chicks who wear stretch pants will continue to buy the things they are familiar with regardless of how it looks...... obviously.

Yeah, the CR-V has become the 'secretary's car' of the 00s. At least secretaries 25 years ago had better taste and drove 6 cylinder Camaros.

Bland sides, ugly nose, ugly interior. Honda needs to hire some new designers...the stuff they have been putting out lately is not pretty.

Why are the wheels so small? That, and the nose really make it look dowdy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0