Future Small RWD Caddy?

Hope springs eternal... but I'm not holding my breath.

GM has kicked me in the teeth too many times with

empty promises of RWD & more recently; hardtops.

Sexy, sexy...

Too bad the lack of a V8 will keep me out of it.

It wouldn't make much sense for a model smaller than the CTS to have a V8, since the CTS only has a V8 in V-form. A DI V6 would probably be more than enough, esp. if the smaller model weighs less than the CTS.

I don't think there's any official quality to this picture, but it's a good guess certainly, judging GM's latest philosophy with Caddy. the move to the first gen C-pillar off the CTS is perfect, better than the fat and awkward-in profile C-pillar of the current inspired-by-Sixteen CTS. The surfacing is what I would personally like to see of Caddy, even more definition if possible. The lines could stand more definition in my theme for Caddy. this is a seriously good looking car, in the time it would come out, I wonder if it would stand apart enough, that's always a crucial judgement call, it sort of looks fairly a lot like a few other cars.

Edited by turbo200

I for oe LOVE the C-pillar on the new CTS & more so on the coupe...

if only they had no B-pillar they'd be PERFECT!!!

It wouldn't make much sense for a model smaller than the CTS to have a V8, since the CTS only has a V8 in V-form. A DI V6 would probably be more than enough, esp. if the smaller model weighs less than the CTS.

My comment was directed at the rumors that Zeta will die and Alpha will become the top RWD platform at GM. If that happens, then it should be engineered for a V8, even if it's for a very small number of cars.

My comment was directed at the rumors that Zeta will die and Alpha will become the top RWD platform at GM. If that happens, then it should be engineered for a V8, even if it's for a very small number of cars.

Cadillac has Sigma, though...which supports a V8.

Like others, I think that's better for SAAB, and Buick. Plus, a small, FWD Cadillac will make the reviewers say the really nasty, and horrible "C" word.

What 'C' word? Constipated?

Oh, wait..... I know what the word is..... C-I-M-A-R-R-O-N? :smilewide:

No...FWD would be wrong for a future Cadillac...leave FWD to Buick and SAAB.

YES. Agreed.

I wish we could leave FWD to just Chevy but if Buick & Chevrolet

had a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of FWD/RWD then we can certainly give

Cadillac & Pontiac 100% RWD product with the option of AWD on

select models. Truth be told I wish GM would set a precident and

stop using FWD on ANYTHING other than sub-compact cars.

No, actually.

Cadillac turning into an Acura fighter would not be for the best interest of the brand.

Crazy idea, but Acura shouldn't even be on Cadillac's target list. As Pontiac continues to move upmarket and focused, BPG should handle Acura with no problems.

Edited by ToniCipriani

• 2 weeks later...
Buick will get a version of this car also.... also coming to Lordstown...

Buick is getting an Alpha? Dumb. Give Buick a Delta II vehicle (which they are already getting in China) if they want something smaller, and give Pontiac the Alpha for the BPG brand. The Buick can fight the TSX while the Pontiac targets people who'd love a G35 or 3er but can't afford one. Giving Buick an Alpha when Cadillac already is going to have one is not a good idea. The Buick won't be undercutting the Cadillac by much assuming the Cadillac starts around $30k. The Buick would be like $26-40k, I would think. Pontiac could offer it $22-32k or so and it wouldn't affect the Cadillac. Unless you meant Buick is getting a Delta II and it's being built at Lordstown.

They have the 9-3 for TSX buyers.

How is a Cadillac Alpha and Buick Alpha going to work though? Just because there is a 9-3 doesn't mean that a) the Buick wouldn't sell fine and b) that it makes sense to have a Buick and Cadillac competing for the same buyers.

They have the 9-3 for TSX buyers.

seems GM wants to beleive it is getting its product positioning act together. it seems fated to have gone this way, what with all the committee think and lousy luck in the past that GM would naturally think Saab would make a better entry level sporty luxury brand, as opposed to a Pontiac in that position.

the buick seems to me yet another step to elevate this brand. that's fine with me, but i always viewed alpha as a lynchpin for Pontiac. with this decision seemingly confirmed herein, yet again we're faced with an historically sporty, well-known and even revered brand whose attitude was relished by many in decades past....being starved of good product. Saab is its own entity and has a core buyer base, and has a lot of reverence, but it's not as friendly....a bad past with reliability and a niche market history will in my mind limit the natural base that will want to choose from Saab. add the high pricing strategy and you're still looking at the most to just double the current volume saab is at.

buick and pontiac on the other hand could have distinct alphas. BPG could become more of a luxuriuous channel. chevrolet and saturn would be starting points, mainstream cars. BPG would offer more luxury. cadillac/saab/hummer would be ultimate expressions of luxury and tech....similar to what the CTS-v and saab black aero x are.

RWD for the masses!

GM should have embraced that idea in like... 1987.

Nothing sucks more about modern automotive

industry than the fact that they try to force FWD

down our collective throats. I wish to god Cadillac

would make a TRUE competitor to the Mercedes

Benz CLK hardtops! (not to mention CL)

RWD for the masses!

GM should have embraced that idea in like... 1987.

In 1987, GM still were offering the G-Body cars, A-Body cars, and T-Body Chevette. Most Cadillacs were rear-drive. They still had "rear-drive for the masses" in 1987.

Perhaps you meant 1997? :smilewide:

I wish to god Cadillac

would make a TRUE competitor to the Mercedes

Benz CLK hardtops! (not to mention CL)

We know, we know... :deadhorse:

Maybe when GM can afford it, you'll get your wish. :AH-HA_wink:

No, I meant 1987.... instead of investing billions into trash like the W-body.

The mid-80s were spent pouring good money after bad into a dozen FWD

platforms, just to water down product and give American cars a bad name.

No, I meant 1987.... instead of investing billions into trash like the W-body.

Just because you don't like the drive wheel or the styling doesn't make them trash, if fact over all, they have served GM and the consumer well. They are reliable and dependable which is why the Impala is selling so well to this day.

Really 68, your view of GM is as old and outdated as the cars you buy.

B pillars for everyone! :AH-HA_wink:

Just because you don't like the drive wheel or the styling doesn't make them trash, if fact over all, they have served GM and the consumer well. They are reliable and dependable which is why the Impala is selling so well to this day.

Really 68, your view of GM is as old and outdated as the cars you buy.

B pillars for everyone! :AH-HA_wink:

so you expect if you build crap that means we have to buy it.... if GM doesnt build something that fits my needs EXACTLY, either i go to a different manufacturer, or i dont go new at all... doesnt bother me at all!

so you expect if you build crap that means we have to buy it.... if GM doesnt build something that fits my needs EXACTLY, either i go to a different manufacturer, or i dont go new at all... doesnt bother me at all!

I'm sure now that you getting ready to go into college that you can somewhat read and comprehend what you're reading, at least I hope that you can! As I said to 68, and I will repeat it once again to you, that is your perception, the buying public however thinks otherwise or the Impala and all the W's would have died long ago. GM is not in business to make vehicles that no one buys, and the W's sold, just like the Impala is still doing today.

I'm not exactly holding my breath waiting on you to buy a brand new GM anything, in fact I'm most sure I will be retired from GM long before that ever happens. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Talk about beating a dead horse... the W-platform was DOA! And look how long we have suffered with it, and continue to suffer. Witness GM's market share figures over the past 20 years, if you want to see the effect this proliferation of mediocrity has produced.

Talk about beating a dead horse... the W-platform was DOA! And look how long we have suffered with it, and continue to suffer. Witness GM's market share figures over the past 20 years, if you want to see the effect this proliferation of mediocrity has produced.

Eyes-open review of both the new Malibu and the current Impala at the recent IE Auto Show really brought to light how competitive GM can be (new Malibu) and how archaic it can be at the same time (Impala.)

Agreed.....

I'd buy a SAAB, even the GM-dumbed-down SAABs, ANY day before I'd buy an Acura. They simply have way more character.....and are better-looking to boot......

way better looking.....but there's no way i'd choose any saab over a TSX...or a TL....unless it's the Aero X. they just don't offer the right performance. and honda's combination of great shifter, great driver ergonomics, super flexible engine, unflappable chassis is really hard to resist. the looks do count for a lot though. i've always talked about saab's design appeal because i really beleive they have a whole heckuva lot of it. they are a luxury brand and are actually more exclusive [well maybe not in terms of real world pricing] than Acura.

way better looking.....but there's no way i'd choose any saab over a TSX...or a TL....unless it's the Aero X. they just don't offer the right performance. and honda's combination of great shifter, great driver ergonomics, super flexible engine, unflappable chassis is really hard to resist. the looks do count for a lot though. i've always talked about saab's design appeal because i really beleive they have a whole heckuva lot of it. they are a luxury brand and are actually more exclusive [well maybe not in terms of real world pricing] than Acura.

My whole thing is.....I've got tremendous respect for the quality, engineering, and design of most Japanese/Asian products. It's just that not very many of them, at all, seem to get me excited if I were actually gonna write the check.

I'm way more emotionally-attracted to European, or even domestic, cars......

And since when a 4-cylinder Accord means performance?

blame the boomers, greenies, liberals, california air resources board and legislature, greenpeace, peta, beancounters, europeans, japanese, consumer reports, your friends and neighbors, the women in your life, high gas prices, car mag books, prius bangers, 'temple of vtec' dorks, etc, and on and on

they have succeeded in dumbing down your expectations, just like they have succeeded on jacking up gas so that you will trade your gas hogs for fuel sippers.....they can then jack up the price of gas to double or triple and now they can pass off little 4 poppers as premium cars too because they have fooled the public into thinking that 6 cylinders now is a wasteful luxury too.