Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick Enclave is the name of the Lambda crossover

Trimnell1

According to this article, some Lambda's will come equipped with a 4-Cylinder engine. From the looks of these vehicles, I doubt the current stable of 4's will be able to get these seven-seaters moving...not good! Can't say I'm enthusiastic about the "Enclave" name, but it sure beats Lucerne (safeway milk).

Errrr... I don't like it at all. It's the same reason why I don't like the Hyundai Entourage name...the name fits the vehicle a little too much. I can't wait to see pictures, though, as usual. I didn't know I4s were going to be in the crossovers.

I find it interesting how the majority is so quick to dislike something. Its just a car name for crying out loud. I kind of like it. It has a good sound to it. I'm assuming those who dont like the name are the same people that wish they reuse the Rendezvous name. If it ends up being a completely different design direction then the Rendezvous then a new name is an appropriate decision. Especially given the fact that Buick is revitalizing their entire lineup and dropping all its previous names. I mean, Century, Park Avenue, LeSaber have all been around for years and they all got the axe. Its a new Buick so its out with the old in with the new.

Let's test this out:

Buick Enclave Super

Buick Enclave Reserve

Buick Enclave Gran Sport Stage 1

hmmm.....

[post="35565"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like ocnblu, except of course, for the Gran Sport Stage I, lol. But why did they replace the Rendezvous name with something like Enclave? Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

Krist. GM must be itching to flush the Buick Division down the shitter. Could they try any LESS?! :angry: Edited by Sixty8panther

Rendezvous is such a tremendously appropriate name. Not only does it sound good and fit with the pseudo European naming scheme, but it describes accurately what the vehicle is...a meeting - or rendezvous of a car, van, and SUV.

Enclave is a very, very poor choice. Centieme would've been better, which isn't saying much.

What the hell? Yes it does give you that sense of that stuck up part of town, which may be what they are going for but still. If it is a good solid vehicle people will be interested but you had bette nail marketing with this one. Come on Buick give us what we want. Ill take my GRAND NATIONAL in any color as long as its black thank you very much.

Not a great name, but could be worse.  Enclave conjures up images of a smug, uppity section of suburbia.

[post="35638"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Funny that you say that because I thought the same thing. There's a new subdivision in my hometown going up called The Enclave...nice homes but I get the feeling that they are ceretainly smug and uppity....but I still think the name is decent (maybe uppity is what Buick was aiming for)

Funny that you say that because I thought the same thing.  There's a new subdivision in my hometown going up called The Enclave...nice homes but I get the feeling that they are ceretainly smug and uppity....but I still think the name is decent (maybe uppity is what Buick was aiming for)

[post="35751"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No maybe about it. Lutz has indicated in the past that Buick is to compete with Lexus. There is not doubt that Lexus is an uppity brand.

There are a few high end gated neighborhoods here with Enclave in their name.

I think this will work.

"Enclave" sucks. It may sound uppity to GM marketers, but it sounds "fearful" to me. Then again, "fearful" is exactly what many Americans are nowadays. What do you think big SUVs with women drivers, gated suburban communities, and a "back yard focus" to most new homes built today say at a subconscious level??? It says that we are partly a nation of hedonistic ninnies. So, the positive sounding "Rendezvous" is out, while the martial sounding (reminds me of the killing in Nagorno-Karabakh) "Enclave" is in. If GM was marketing sushi they would call it "cold dead fish." Anyway, at the least the car itself looks to be a winner. people will get past the name (especially the ninnies).

I also don't understand what negative baggage Rendezvous had besides its not-so-elegant hindquarters and semi-dopey engine. The vehicle itself was fantastic as people who never would've looked at Buick before checked out and liked the Rendezvous.

I ALSO wonder what "baggage" the name Rendezvous carries...

Perhaps it's the negative baggage that it was supposed to be the uglier, lesser know twin of the Aztek and flourished?

Is it because it had the same style and the Aztek and since the Aztek did poorly the name Rendezvous has been tainted?

It certainly couldn't be the fact the Buick has sold Rendezvous' far beyond their expectation, and is one of the most popular crossovers in America, could it?

IF the Rendezvous had done poorly I would agree to drop the name...

But if GM thinks that renaming every next generation vehicle so that people will think that the previous model could not even compare to the next model they are going to be sorry. People are going to figure it out really quickly that GM can't be making vehicles so far in advance than 4 or 5 years ago that they don't even deserve the same name and is just a scam to gain interest.

The Rendezvous sold well. A BETTER Rendezvous would give auto magazines something to really compare it to and tell people to take a second look at Rendezvous... so not only are all these new buyers into Buick (all the Rendezvous buyers) going to be able to say they want another Rendezvous and everyone who didnt consider the Rendezvous could reconsider the newer version.

Give Buick some character and keep some names around for Christs sake.

As for Eclave... I guess... but really- what is wrong with a vehicle that sold far beyond its expectations? Edited by Cananopie

I think Enclave is fine if they're positioning the vehicle upmarket. My subdivsion has different areas, I think there are about 10 different additions that have been made. Anyways, the newest and most luxurious area is called "The Enclave," so it gives me a sense of luxury. There are definetly better names, but it's certainly not that bad.

Guest YellowJacket894
Enclave, huh? Not good. It makes me think of a certain SNL skit that involves Will Ferril, Blue Oyster Cult, Christopher Walken, and a cowbell. Well, that or bellbottom jeans or clog dancing.

My first thought upon seeing this thread was: "Hmm, very uppity sounding." Does sound VERY Martha Stewart-like, and, considering the people who will be attracted to and buying it, I think it's very fitting. Like others have said, Rendezvous has been a great name considering the mission and use of the current vehicle design, but in order to fully move up another class or two, I really can see the point in giving an all-new product and all-new name--especially when it comes to GM, which tends to have to build upon previously dumpy designs. Enclave...it may end up being pronounced a few different ways, but still sounds classy, like some kind of a high-end piece of machinery or a tool. As such, should be VERY fitting for an upscale, luxurious crossover.

Yea, it'll sound uppity and luxurious and exclusive until a potential buyer goes into a B-P-GMC dealership and finds a little nasally man trying to sell it like a commodity. I'm sorry, Buick is doomed being paired up with Pontiac/GMC. If it were just Buick-GMC, they could remodel the dealerships and make them look very nice (anyone recall the standalone Buick dealership model with the clock?) but Pontiac is far too common for that type of showroom. I think Buick should be paired with Cadillac.

No 4-cylinders for Lambda's, they were referring to the other, smaller crossovers.  The Cadillac and Chevrolet were cool.

[post="35656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I caught that. Hmm...sounds good....Is there any chance we will be seeing that Caddy soon? Is it the BRX?

One the issue of the "name".....I've got a bag full of "sshhh" for everyone of you; it's just a name, that nobody really cares about, besides you people, Rendevous is not Camaro or Corvette, Enclave fits the car perfectly, Rendevous was produced in an era where GM produced subpar vehicles, bottom line: get over it Edited by turbo200

If it were just Buick-GMC, they could remodel the dealerships and make them look very nice (anyone recall the standalone Buick dealership model with the clock?) but Pontiac is far too common for that type of showroom.

[post="35928"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree 100%. GMC is already viewed as the premium, upscale alternative to Chevy's trucks and SUVS. Buick wants to chase Lexus. Buick should be paired with GMC, and GMC should lose it's Lambda. It's one to many. Buick could have the crossover SUVs, and GMC would speicalize in BOF SUVs and true trucks. That, alone with Buick cars would make a great compliment. There's no reason the two brands should care products, even it's it's only one (the Lambda). GM would have been wise to do as I described, which is similar to what Ford was thinking by putting Jag with Landrover.

That won't work.  It'll hinder both Caddy and Buick, especially since Buick aspires to lux status.

[post="35936"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How would it HURT Buick to be paired with Cadillac in a quest for lux status? It wouldn't. See the Saturn thread where I outlined a strategy.

Cadillac-Buick dealerships, both sharing common components and platforms, and Buick and Cadillac both representing the luxury market, but two flavors: elegant luxury, and sporty luxury. Cadillac being more BMW/Mercedes while Buick is more Lexus/AUDI

I think people are reacting a little too harshly to the name of the Buick crossover. Guys we haven't even seen a spy picture of the Enclave. There were lots of naysayers who criticized the Rendezvous for its styling, being related to the lame duck Aztek, the pathetic 3.4L V6 and the crappy interior - yet it was a huge sales success. Now Buick is talking about bringing out a crossover designed from the beginning on a dedicated chassis to be a crossover, offering premium engines, styling that is supposedly "jaw dropping" with the intent of competing against Lexus - and yet so many people complain about the name. Probably if you don't like the sound of "Enclave" then it isn't marketed to you. Go buy the Acadia or Outlook instead. Many upscale neighborhoods have the word enclave as part of their names. This new name rolls off the tongue easier than Rendezvous and like someone else said, doesn't have the association with the Aztek to over come from the marketing end. With GM aiming for Lexus we can expect good things in terms of fit & finish as well as sound dampening. The Lucern is a wonderful replacement for the aged LeSabre. I have high hopes for this new vehicle and think we should all just sit back and wait until Buick unveils it next spring.

Yea, it'll sound uppity and luxurious and exclusive until a potential buyer goes into a B-P-GMC dealership and finds a little nasally man trying to sell it like a commodity.

I'm sorry, Buick is doomed being paired up with Pontiac/GMC.  If it were just Buick-GMC, they could remodel the dealerships and make them look very nice (anyone recall the standalone Buick dealership model with the clock?) but Pontiac is far too common for that type of showroom.

I think Buick should be paired with Cadillac.

[post="35928"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Buick and Cadillac might work, but it'd take far too much work to do so and would take YEARS. By that time Buick will have been able to assert itself in the luxury marketplace.

As for Pontiac being too common, I don't really agree. GMC sells more vehicles by Pontiac, and by quite a large margin. If Pontiac is to have the GTO, Solstice, G6, and "G8" (on Zeta) by 2010 (drop the Torrent when the GMC Theta comes, kill the SV6) then I see no reason why it cannot exist in the same showroom as Buick. The GTO is obviously priced in Buick territory, and is as nice as any Buick, the Solstice, while cheap, could look fine in about any showroom, the G8 or whatever they name it should be able to be sold alongside a Buick sister car, and the G6 really isn't that bad, and pretty similar to the LaCrosse actually.

Enclave is a diplomatic term for territory isolated in a foreign country. In current use it typically refers to a homogenous "ghetto" of foreign nationals within another country, e.g. "the American enclave in Paris". It's a terrible name for anything, whether a car or subdivision, beyond proud and elitist it says "you are not our compatriots and we don't want to associate with you".