Jensen

How Much do I hate My Equinox

71 posts in this topic

Ok I've had this pig of a vehicle for 17 mths now and I can honestly say that i have never hated any vehicle more. I have the top of the line Equinox LT with AWD and have had a myriad of problems with it since new:

1) From time to time for no reason the key will not turn in the ignition unless i play with the steering column for sometimes upwards of 10 mins to get the ignition lock to release.

2) Cheap plastic interior rattles like a ten year old Cavalier

3) AWD system has had a number of issues and repairs under warranty to replace a variety of grinding noises and vibrations.

4) Craptacular transmission that routinely shifts hard or sometimes refuses to shift out of park at all- a couple of times i have started the vehicle and put in drive or reverse to no avail-the engine revs but no forward or backward progress. Hve to start the vehicle again to re-boot the computer.

5) Engine needs a fuel-injector flush after only 35000km to solve lugging/hesitation on acceleration-very annoying

6) Did I mention it rattles like a ten year old cavalier

7) The steering sucks and is proving problematic and noisy-very inconsistent feel.

Overall I am extremely dissapointed with this vehicle and Chevrolet in general-don't think that I will ever by another after this experience. I will be trading this POS in this spring/summer and can't wait for it to be gone.

Sorry about your experience. You had such praise earlier. Sounds like a lot of first-year bugs.

And yes, I think the electric power steering on the Equinox is horrible.

Hmmm I've had the transmission issue and the ignition issue both with my Mercedes. The ignition issue...just forcibly move the steering wheel back and forth as far as the ignition lockup allows you to. The ignition lock is what is sticking. No big problem. I highly doubt it takes 10 minutes because that is just ridiculous. One or two motions with the method I described above always does it.

As for the transmission, meh. It happens.

Damn, you got a lemon. My 10 year old Grand Am isn't even that big of a POS. Buy hey, it basically replaced the Blazer... so I guess it was only natural for it to keep it's crappy reliability.

:rolleyes:yah, right, fordrules. <_<

Sorry to hear that your Equinox is a POS, but honestly this could have happened with any brand of vehicle. It's a bitch when it happens to you though. What do you have your eye on?

Edited by ocnblu

I am truly sorry for you. I would like to buy it and cut it all up.

I would put that thing on a 87 K-5 Blazer chassis with 40"s and a

572 cu in with open headers. yeah....

Buy a escape and ya wont be let down

Yeah, there's a problem-free car... :rolleyes:

That's quite the issues you have there.

A co-worker has a Nox, (she got it not too long after it came out), and had one problem with the steering, which thet fixed at the dealership. and she beats on

her Nox pretty hard too... :( Though hers is only a LT...

:rolleyes:yah, right, fordrules.      <_<

Sorry to hear that your Equinox is a POS, but honestly this could have happened with any brand of vehicle.  It's a bitch when it happens to you though.  What do you have your eye on?

Yeah....but it's Chevy/GM that decided to use that awfully-tuned electric steering in the vehicle....and it's Chevy/GM that decided to use the hard, brittle plastics inside the Equinox...

I do think, however, that the reliability issues are probably not that common. GM cars hold up pretty well overall these days.

Good to see you again Jensen! Sorry about your Equinox, I remember you were into those types of products too. So I guess I can't recommend the Equinox to my friends anymore...

Buy a escape and ya wont be let down

Even better, buy a Rav...... lol

I could almost live with the electical/tranny/AWD issues and wright them off as as first year teething problems(though still very annoying). But its the freaking cacophony of rattles that make me mental. No 1 yr old car with only 30K Km on it should have any rattles-let alone the # that I have. It's my # 1 pet peeve in a car(rattles/noises) and this is where i feel the most let down by the Equinox. I hope that newer ones are better than mine in this regard-but still i wouldn't recommend this vehicle at this point. I do notice that the rear headrests are smaller for 2006 and these are actually a source of one of the rattles in mine. They are grossly oversized and mounted very poorly and shake and buzz over most any type of bump. I think next summer i will be dumping this vehicle and looking at a Saturn Aura-however i doubt that I will make the mistake of buying a brand new model right off the bat again-let em work out the bugs. Other than that I can't think of any GM vehicle that I really want to replace this with. So I could be making my first non-GM purhcase ever. And it is all because of cheap interior plastics and cost-cutting.

One thing you don't mention is if you've taken it in to have these problems looked at. Especially the rattles. If it is as frequent and obnoxious as you claim, the dealer service guy (or your neighborhood mechanic) shouldn't have any trouble in finding and isolating them. I KNOW they have a TSB for the electric steering.

Too have problems with just ONE GM vehicle like these and saying your giving up on GM altogether puts you in the same mentality as most of america. Not trying to hate on you, but if you didnt have problems like this with your other GM vehicles then why consider ditching them based of ONE bad vehicle? No car company is perfect and things happen with vehicles that are sometimes unforseen. It's like you said "first year problems", so that might just be the issue, because it doesnt seem like very many people are having alot of the problems that your having.

Continue to post your drivel and you won't be allowed to post here.

Deal?

???

One thing you don't mention is if you've taken it in to have these problems looked at.  Especially the rattles. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent point Croc. Here it is the 2nd (ok 1st to some people) of November. Hopefully you've taken it in to have these issues looked at and serviced.

Exactly...see here's my thing: I can understand a vehicle having problems. It happens. But the company needs to be given the chance to make it right. With my M-Class, it's in the shop pretty frequently for stupid dumb little things. The only time I have had issues is when the problem is recurrent (wipers wear out very quickly, and the wipers are made so only special Mercedes wipers can be used...DIC resets upon every start of the car...radio volume turns up to full blast randomly for no reason...etc)

But if it's just a few little things that are serviceable i.e. not related to a gross design flaw or electrical gremlin...then give them the chance to make it right! Especially since yours is a first year!

It has been parked at the dealership an average of once a month since i have owned it for various problems including the rattles which just won't seem to go away. I sell Real Estate in Toronto and quite frankly don't have time for an unreliable vehicle-i use my car every day for work and need something that is dependable, roomy and doesn't suck gas like a pig. I don't want to be visiting the delership more than once every three months for an oil change and its a pain in the ass and time consuming to have to arrange for rental cars every time it has to stay at the dealer for an extednded period for some new problem. I can't really think of anything else to replace it with right now from GM that I find appealing.

to be quite honest... the equinox is my least favorite to go on a test drive with at the dealership... its kind of sluggish, bumpy ride, and not very comfortable...

the trailblazer owns it hands down...

The Equinox has been a great seller. Of the dozen or so I saw out the door, only one customer complained about a dead battery.

As discussed, the electric steering is different, but I like it. It all depends on whether you enjoy fighting the wheel or steering with one hand (even a palm!). In fact, once used to the electric steering, other conventional steering vehicles feel very heavy. There are a lot of safety advantages to electric steering (no loss of power steering in the event of engine stall, for example) and (in theory) long term maintence on the system will be less.

Jensen, I am sorry to hear about your issues, but perhaps you should try another dealer. Maybe they just aren't treating your concerns seriously, or their team is less experienced.

It is bizarre how one vehicle can have so many problems. I have seen it before and it is almost like the vehicle is possessed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor