Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Don't Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid!

ocnblu

Saw my '59 Chevy roaring down the highway as I do every Monday morning. December 1st, driving rain, roads have already been salted multiple times, doesn't mean a thing to the guy that owns it apparently. I say good for him, but he'd better be washing it!

Returning back home to DE from the PA trip yesterday in the mucky rain, I was waiting to turn at a stoplight onto the road into DE and watched a big, black Maybach with MD tags and an old guy driving cruise by in the opposing slow lanes of traffic.

Interesting car and doesn't really stand out as anything more than a slightly enlarged S-class with road filth and basic license plates. First time I've ever seen one.

I saw a couple GMs from opposite ends of the spectrum today at lunch---a goregous black first-gen CTS w/ chrome wheels, tinted windows, very sinister looking, and a delapidated '75-77 Camaro--primer gray, hole cut in the hood w/ a chrome air cleaner sticking out, mis matched wheels... couldn't tell if it the driver had a mullet, but it looked very much like a low buck rod from about 1985.

Saw 3 Chevy oldies on the way home--an off-white '63 Chevy pickup (shortbed fleetside), a white '72 Impala 4dr ht, and a mildly donked bronze w/ black top '75 Impala Sport Coupe.

Also, an early Dodge Aspen in silver w/ black top, blingy wheels.

Edited by moltar

Saw a young guy driving a 2008/9 CTS in Crimson Red with standard 3.6L and AWD he had a huge smile on his face. Not to mention the fact his wife was hott, also the car needs different base wheels.

Agreed. The base wheels have always struck me as odd and out of place. Even as a base you'll want to upgrade from, they're ehh.

Oddly, in my travels through DE, MD & PA for days, new CTS's were one vehicle I rarely, if ever, saw. Hmm.

More...

While in Groundhog land Punxsutawney, we took my little cousin out for breakfast on Saturday and there amongst the lot of winter filth crusted vehicles was a new White Diamond shorty Escalade Platinum Edition. Another first "in person". Love the wheels, which are really all you notice much of in person, and was dumb struck seeing such a pricey truck in a rather bleak little town.

The coolest sighting for me for the month so far had to be the '60-62 GMC panel truck 4x4 I saw downtown today. Primer gray, w/ traces of green paint, lifted on big off-road tires, spare tire on the roof, off road lights across the front of the roof, winch on the custom front bumper. HELLACOOL!!!!

Also interesting were a well-worn '70 Mustang Mach 1, light green...great restoration potential...

Also saw a sharp bright red '64 or so Dodge Dart convertible w/ the top down.

I'm loving the cool fall weather, leaves falling off the trees, wind whipping them up as I go down the street w/ the sunroof open.

Yesterday---

Saw a 'BMW 050i' ---some lunatic took a new Scion xB, replaced the Scion badges w/ BMW roundels and made a '050i' badge from other BMW badges. Madness.

Saw a red/orange '68 Olds 442 2dr sedan w/ black front fender stripes. Had a patina of age, paint fade, bent front bumper, missing grille...looked solid and restorable overall.

Saw a clean lt gray '75-78 Ford LTD 4dr sedan.

Saw two '75-77 Pontiac Venturas ( a white 2dr, a blue 4dr) in someone's driveway, with a bronze 2 dr Nova of the same vintage.

Saw a sharp dark red '89 or so Camaro IROCZ w/ 18 inch or so 5-spoke wheels w/ aluminum rims and gray spokes..very subtle and clean. I love to see 3rd gen F-bodies in good shape.

Two-tone green, last-gen Ford Granada 2-door. It's so easy to forget they made a Fairmont-based Granada (and it reminds me that Ford's schizo naming practices aren't a new thing, re: 500/Taurus and Montego/Sable... the Fairmont/Granada/LTD and Zephyr/Marquis are earlier examples of fast and loose naming practices @ FoMoCo.)

Two-tone green, last-gen Ford Granada 2-door. It's so easy to forget they made a Fairmont-based Granada (and it reminds me that Ford's schizo naming practices aren't a new thing, re: 500/Taurus and Montego/Sable... the Fairmont/Granada/LTD and Zephyr/Marquis are earlier examples of fast and loose naming practices @ FoMoCo.)

Those are pretty scarce... the Mercury version was the Cougar. Both were built only in'81-82, replaced by the similiar Fox-bodied LTD/Marquis in '83. The Cougar was available as a 2dr and 4dr (and a wagon in '82), and different from the also Fox-based Cougar XR-7, which was similar to the Thunderbird of the same years. Ford got a lot of use out of the Fox platform..

I love the '67-68s...grew up around 3 of 'em. My Mom has a '67 (289), '68 (302) and a '68 XR-7 (390) that she and my Dad bought back in the '60s-70s. 2 were restored back in the '80s, but the '68 302 (3spd manual, manual brakes, manual steering!) is all original w/ 65k miles.

Saw a few interesting cars today.

First was a bathtub Hudson--48-49 I think, black. What a radical design for it's time. Amazing to see a 60 yr old car out in traffic. Beautiful condition.

Saw a primer black w/ red steel wheels '60 Caddy Coupe de Ville (or Series 62 ht) at a car wash. Massive.

Saw a derelict '76-77 Cutlass Supreme coupe in a driveway, white w/ gray hood & rt ft fender, flat tires.

Saw a blue w/ black top '74 Malibu 2dr parked behind a gas station, no plates.

Lastly, a couple of '80s B-bodies--an '80 or so Caprice coupe, with a later composite headlight ('87-90) front end. It was a red-orange color I remember from '80. The other was an '86 Caprice Classic 4dr, very clean, two tone gray.

Saw two 60s Pontiacs on the way to work today--a plum/white '66 Catalina and a white '69 Catalina, both 4dr hts w/o hubcaps (black steel wheels). The '66 was very clean, looks like a resto in progress (missing some side trim), the '69, a bit tattered.

I don't think it's an Opel or Vauxhall At least I don't think, I was thinking Morris Marina.

Ah! Those tailights remind me of a Vauxhall.... I think it was the Vauxhall Viva...

EDIT - Check this out: link. In the case of your pic, it is a Chevrolet Firenza.

Edited by ZL-1

You're right! It's a 1970-1971 Vauxhall Viva 2-Door Saloon... Which was sold in Canada as the Envoy Epic and later the Vauxhall Firenza.

Canadian Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealers continued to sell a rebadged HB as the Envoy Epic through 1970.

The Viva HC (1970-1979) was mechanically the same as the HB but had more modern styling and greater interior space due to redesigned seating and positioning of bulkheads. It offered 2 and 4 door saloons and a fastback estate with the choice of either standard 1159 cc, 90 tuned 1159 cc or 1600 cc overhead cam power. No 2.0 GT version was offered with the new range, although the 2.0 became the sole engine offering for Canada, where the HC became the Firenza, marketed without the Vauxhall name. The cloned Envoy Epic was dropped as Chevrolet dealers now carried the domestic Chevrolet Vega. The HC was pulled from the Canadian market after two model years amidst consumer anger over corrosion and reliability issues. A class action lawsuit launched against General Motors of Canada by dissatisfied owners was not settled until the early 1980s.

In Canada, the Epic's poor reputation lead to it being nicknamed the "Envoy Epidemic."

My first reaction is of course "My God! How has it survived?"

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

This last week has been pretty impressive. Dodge Challenger, Ferrari 308, Lotus Elise, my boss has an MG that he drives all the time.

Another attorney in our office has this little car from the 50s that you have to access the trunk by folding down the back seat. I cant remember what kind of car it is. I'll ask him tomorrow if somebody can't think of it here.

Brand new loaded Stryker Blue '09 G8 GT posed in a driveway of someone on my way to work, someone whose cars are always spotless and they daily, literally, pose them in the driveway for everyone's viewing pleasure as you roll down the road.

Used to have a couple of Ford Lightning's, then most recently a maroon Jeep GC SRT-8 and blue Lincoln Aviator...now the Aviator has been replaced by the fresh & bright blue G8. Wow. What a garage, seriously. Can't wait to see what appears next, to replace the Jeep. Glad to see them with a GM finally, in the meantime. And still...jealous.

Definately something you don't see everyday :

a brand new, fiberglas, full-body shell of a stretched-wheelbase '73-74 Charger funny car on a trailer. Just the shell fresh from the mold. Big split rear deck spoiler, elongated front end... I have no idea where whomever had this got it- must've been a big bucks commissioned project.

Saw something truly bizzare yesterday afternoon---a pink and white old VW Beetle with custom '57 Chevy style rear fenders and decklid (with the fins, trim, and taillights like a '57), and 3rd '57 Chevy style fin in the center of the roof. Didn't see the front end, so I don't know if it looked like a '57 up there..