vonVeezelsnider

Winter Driving

58 posts in this topic

Funny, if it were 10% of that here in Oklahoma the whole state would shut down. We empty the grocery store if they say theres even a chance of snow, even 1/2 an inch. LOL

I friggin LOVE driving in snow; kicking the ass end out, doin a few 360s where prudent, churning ahead in the left lane while the rest of the plodders huddle and creep in the right. Whoo-hoo, bring it on!

Actually, I am tired of snow in general, not that I get much here, but I don't have any problem driving thru it.

I'm in 4WD now, but everything before my current daily has been RWD only.

My new Impala is all dirty like that from what we have gotten so far this year. And its only going to get worse. They are saying 6-9 inches for Tuesday.

I friggin LOVE driving in snow; kicking the ass end out, doin a few 360s where prudent, churning ahead in the left lane while the rest of the plodders huddle and creep in the right. Whoo-hoo, bring it on!

Actually, I am tired of snow in general, not that I get much here, but I don't have any problem driving thru it.

I'm in 4WD now, but everything before my current daily has been RWD only.

That wasn't you driving the city bus that nearly forced me off the road, was it? :smilewide:

Suffice to say I think I may have bent a rim today (I certainly cracked a wheelcover), as a bus started to lose traction and began drifting into my lane (I was in the curb lane, he was in the middle lane)... so I moved over a bit and the next thing you know I'm sliding sideways into a curb (the bus regained traction thank god). since it was on a bend to the right in the road the wheel was angled out a bit and bore the brunt.

I don't mind it at first, but it does start to piss me off after a while if the city doesn't plow the streets...especially when you're at a left turn protected light with a bunch of people behind you or ahead of you and can't make it through in time because no one can get any traction.

When the snow is fresh it's fun to take corners fast and let the rear end whip around, something you never get to do on dry road with a FWD car.

Edited by mustang84

Driving in the snow is fun if you know what you're doing. :3

and not dealing with the imminent threat of becoming an open-faced "bus sandwich" :AH-HA_wink:

and not dealing with the imminent threat of becoming an open-faced "bus sandwich" :AH-HA_wink:

That too!

Oh my nerves are shot... Scary stuff out there today!

You come from a beautiful city and I've been there...and to Edmonton...while visiting Banff in winter...I used one of my free Air Canada tickets.

What I recall is that I had trouble walking down the icy sidewalk on whatever street that is that has your LRT line going east-west through your downtown.

I remember driving my RWD Cutlass Supreme during the winter in the Midwest while in grad school. Generally, the snow was pretty trampled on and I did ok, but there were a couple of "close calls" as I was adjusting to it, coming from a land of palm trees. It convinced me I'm not cut out to live in a cold weather climate.

Well, last year for me was spent in a 315-hp 2WD pickup truck with G80 locker. We didn't get much snow, but it did fine the couple of times we got accumulation. This year I'm in a FWD car without ABS or traction control nannies. I'll make it, but these Continental "low rolling resistance" tires have me concerned a bit.

Well, last year for me was spent in a 315-hp 2WD pickup truck with G80 locker. We didn't get much snow, but it did fine the couple of times we got accumulation. This year I'm in a FWD car without ABS or traction control nannies. I'll make it, but these Continental "low rolling resistance" tires have me concerned a bit.

Darn eco-friendliness...

I just thought about it... this will be my first winter EVER with FWD and traction control. I won't have to drive as much though.

Might be a good idea to buy a set of snow tires?

In California, when it snows on roads here, they either close the road (I-5 between Bakersfield and LA Basin) or you get "CHAIN CONTROL". No salt here, just sand. Also, there is this History Channel Modern Marvels out there about winter roads and I-80 over Donner Pass is featured on how well CalTrans cleans snow.

Snow doesn't bother me, ice, on the other hand....

Ice scares the crap out of me... like yesterday. Here are some pics of my handiwork:

wheel.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel3.jpg

wheel4.jpg

Also in case anybody's wondering those Bridgestone Insignias are really $h!ty in the Snow, I took the G5 out with the Tripletreds this morning and grip was like night and day.

that wheel is f@#ked...my g5 is pretty decent in the snow with a good left foot (for the clutch)...my dad has a 2wd z71 canyon with a LSD and its unstoppable in snow....f@#k 4wd lol....they dont call me Son of Snowmaster (my dad) for nothing

Edited by MikeyMo84

On Saturday we got snow in the morning and for what ever reason the salt trucks never came out. All of the snow that cars were driving on got compacted and turned to ice. After I dropped my BF off at work and I was headed back home, I spotted a Port Authority bus crossing onto the same bridge I needed to cross. At the end of this bridge, I have two choices to go home once I've crossed the bridge. One choice sends me down another bridge town, the other choice takes me up a hill. Up the hill is where the bus heads.

I look down onto the other bridge and watch a Suburban slide into the back of Focus. Scratch that route.

I decide to take my chances behind the bus.

The bus stops half way up the hill to pickup/drop off. I think "Oh hell, I'm never getting home now! There's no way the bus will be able to take off again in this weather!"

To my surprise, with no drama at all, the bus just takes off back up the hill.

The Pruis behind the bus but in front of me however........

yay for hyperactive traction control that you can't disable.

I love the winter weather most of the time, but the roads around Laramie are atrocious! Laramie never budgets for snow removal so everyone just drives it down until every road is a giant sheet of ice...plus, since it's a college town every idiot from anywhere south of the front range thinks they can drive like it's normal conditions...I love seeing all the kids with messed up cars after the first big snow of the year! Although, when I can barely make it into town and to the campus with my Jeep in 4WD, that bothers me.

Ice is easy once you get used to it. The ice storms we've had the last 2 years have pretty much made me the world's greatest ice driver. This will be the first winter in a long time that I've had RWD, but I'm not too concerned. Unless its windy, cause that tank gets blown around on dry roads if its windy.

I like winter, and I don't mind driving in the somw much until I almost crash.

I was driving to school the other day and came to a red light at an intersection that goes downhill. Of course I didn't brake early enough and was headed straight for a TrailBlazer, so I swerved to the right, went over the curb, narrowly missed a phone pole, and ended up on the sidewalk/grass. Fortunately no cars were damaged.

In California

winter roads and I-80 over Donner Pass is featured on how well CalTrans cleans snow.

I'm laughing right now. I know they stay on top of it, but I've also been stranded on both sides of Donner Pass without chains, having crossed to the other side on a Friday night before the weekend only to have an unexpected storm dump snow like crazy on Sunday.

The solution is horrendous. You have to go around the long way up through the Feather River Canyon (CA 70) because it "only" reaches an elevation of 5,000 instead of 7,200.

I was once going down a hill in a residential neighborhood near home. The road curved gently and was a solid sheet of ice. I tried taking it about 10 mph, but a couple seconds later I was sliding at an angle and headed toward a snow bank. I ended up hitting the bank of snow, now practically sliding sideways down the hill and came to rest in the middle of an intersection (luckily there was no traffic). If it wasn't for that bank of snow, I would have hit a couple mailboxes or a street light. My car escaped damage free.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead