2010 Buick LaCrosse

I've been monitoring other sites, and this car seems to be a universal hit with the some of the largest Buick critics I've ever encountered.

Same here. I visit lots of auto enthusiast sites and the overwhelming response has been extremely positive. You can always pick out the flamers, some are even paid to do this (the internet is a powerful marketing tool), so it is easy to differentiate them from the general masses. At these sites most of the member's screen names are different from here, I've not seen many, if any, of them chatting here, so the comments at C&G would not come into play with their remarks.

I say: I'm very happy with Buick's effort. Sure there are things that I would change, but that is the designer in me, but you know, I don't work for Buick. I think they have listened carefully to what folks have suggested and have made great efforts to incorporate those ideas. It has everything and more going for it to be as successful as the Enclave in this volatile market. It certainly is the competitor that GM promised and will change perceptions of the Buick brand. Let's just sit back and see how it goes. Good luck Buick!

Edited by InvictaMan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought this up in DF's thread comparing the concept and production models, but I will say it again...I worry how this car will look in other trim levels with the smaller wheels. Such a large, bulky design on anything smaller than what it has in the press shots would leave a lot to be desired it seems.

I brought this up in DF's thread comparing the concept and production models, but I will say it again...I worry how this car will look in other trim levels with the smaller wheels. Such a large, bulky design on anything smaller than what it has in the press shots would leave a lot to be desired it seems.

I believe it has 17" wheels standard. That's not too bad.

Beautiful, better yet its styling SCREAMS Buick in the best way possible.

I also like the angry face, I've got a thing for Angry Buicks.... :wub:

Hell I own two of 'em:

1959buicklesabre2drpostew5.jpg

20080921079xu7.jpg

Too bad this new attractive Buick is still FWD-biased.

I don't ever buy front-wheel-drive/front-biased-AWD,

& I especially do NOT do transverse mounted motors.

I mean I DID own a few when I was a dumb kid, but

my standards are a lot higher now.

Too bad this new attractive Buick is still FWD-biased.

I don't ever buy front-wheel-drive/front-biased-AWD,

& I especially do NOT do transverse mounted motors.

I mean I DID own a few when I was a dumb kid, but

my standards are a lot higher now.

While you can't do anything about the transversely mounted engine, isn't the AWD system it is using the haldex system utilized in the saab turbo-x? Isn't that a rear-biased system? Correct me if I'm wrong.

While you can't do anything about the transversely mounted engine, isn't the AWD system it is using the haldex system utilized in the saab turbo-x? Isn't that a rear-biased system? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm out of the loop on that one... while it

would be great i the power was biased

towards the rear, to do it using a front

mounted sideways motor would be a very

idiotic way to go about it, way too

complicated for no reason.

It's like translating a book from English to

German, running a spell-check, then

translating it back to English again...

Still.... this car's styling is jaw-dropping.

The compound curves, that subtle sweep

spear is so nice to see on a production

car it's orgasmic.

Hell, I'm going to say right now if my wife

liked it, despite the FWD & sideways motor

I'd buy one for her.

Viva La Buick! :spin:

I'm out of the loop on that one... while it

would be great i the power was biased

towards the rear, to do it using a front

mounted sideways motor would be a very

idiotic way to go about it, way too

complicated for no reason.

It's like translating a book from English to

German, running a spell-check, then

translating it back to English again...

Still.... this car's styling is jaw-dropping.

The compound curves, that subtle sweep

spear is so nice to see on a production

car it's orgasmic.

Hell, I'm going to say right now if my wife

liked it, despite the FWD & sideways motor

I'd buy one for her.

Viva La Buick! :spin:

That's pretty strong praise for a FWD car coming from 68.

:yes:

Sixty8, if you bought her one new, with AWD, you'd probably never have to look under the hood very often since Buicks top the reliability charts...so you can always pretend or ignore it. :P

I agree, the agree face is awesome.

Now if I were suddenly brought in to run GM, I would also get the boys and girls working on a rear drive, Zeta based Buick that had the same styling - but it would have a V8 engine as an option. Maybe call it Electra or Roadmaster. Think G8 with this kind of exterior and interior styling to go directly at the LS460. Now THAT would be a Buick to go absolutely crazy over. BPG dealers would have a real "flagship" of sorts then. And I actually don't think it would compromise Cadillac sales either.

You know what I think it looks like an F150. Clearly they are similar.

Cardatavideo-FordF150PickupTruck2009Plat

See how it has four wheels, four doors, headlights and a grill? Totally similar.

Gosh DF! I think you're right!

It has headlamps, tires, wheels, and windows! And, all four wheels can be powered!

Wow! The similarities are incredible. Must be some sort of Chinese copy or something.

This sarcasm has been brought to you by: MyerShift. Unambiguously Un-PC.

Seriously, I can't wait to see these touring the streets and country sides in quiet, reliable understated style.

Seems Buick has hit the mark with those hoping for a nicer Buick. I am certainly not the target audience for this car, but here are my impressions:

It has an air of quality about it

It has a conservative, semi-upscale look

I get a Nissan/Infiniti vibe from it

The interior is quite nice

Attention to detail is quite obvious

That said, I couldn't get excited by it. To me it's just another mid-lux sedan - but I wouldn't put it behind any of the competition.

Mostly what I don't like in this design is nothing but the same things I don't like in its competition.

Perhaps that means it hits the mark perfectly.

Now if I were suddenly brought in to run GM, I would also get the boys and girls working on a rear drive, Zeta based Buick that had the same styling - but it would have a V8 engine as an option. Maybe call it Electra or Roadmaster. Think G8 with this kind of exterior and interior styling to go directly at the LS460. Now THAT would be a Buick to go absolutely crazy over. BPG dealers would have a real "flagship" of sorts then. And I actually don't think it would compromise Cadillac sales either.

Cadillac has nothing that goes against an LS460, Buick never will. GM doesn't have an 8-speed or a direct injection DOHC V8 or a chassis for it, the only piece they have is the 2-mode hybrid, which has yet to be used on a car. Lexus had all that 2 years ago, GM should have been working on that stuff, but they wasted money on Saturn, Saab, Hummer, and full size SUVs.

This is the best Buick ever built, but I think it will fall short of sales expectations, unless the CX model has a low base price and they can steal some Impala or Lucerne sales. The problem with trying to be Lexus, is Lexus does Lexus better than anyone else can. Buick should be American and create their own identity. Lincoln is at least trying to do this, their product looks unique and American. This car is kind of like the Genesis in how it looks like they just took design cues from a lot of other cars.

Weight is too high on this car. GM needs to build lighter weight cars, that is why they get beat in fuel economy. Most Fords are a lot lighter, that is why the MKZ beats LaCrosse in mileage, 2010 Fusion 4-cylinder is best in class, Fusion hybrid is best in class, Escape hybrid is the most fuel efficient suv, etc.

Because it is Lexus LS460 exhaust pipes and a BMW 5-series tail lights. Everyone here criticizes BMW styling (I myself don't like it) yet that is what Buick copied.

Those sort of exhausts are nothing new, the LS is just one of the more recent examples. As for the 5 Series, I actually see the resemblance there, so I agree to a point. However it's not copied, it's done better.

The acura is just strange, disharmonious & unpleasant, God; it's horrible, & the bmw is plainly dated... at least the Buick is stately and mildly fresh, and in the above 3/4 rear shots- far more upscale to my eye than the other 2.

What is up with that way-up-high, huge fuel filler door on the acura, 2" from the passenger door ?? The farther a vehicle can mount a source of fumes & fuel spills from the passengers, the better, IMO. Being dead-center above the rear wheelwell also calls more visual attention to it.

As far as one looking like the other- how much differentiation do any of you expect in a modern car- something unique & new ?? All the elements are shared with just minor reshuffling- of course stylistic parallels are going to be possible. There's just not a lot anyone can do (kudos to honda for trying, kudos-repro'd for issuing a hideous design for actual production). Intentional?? I don' think so. Mandated constraint? There you go.

It's finished, so just market them RIGHT and sell them... as many as you can make. There's no room, time, money, patience or clue with the public anyway. Get on with it. Dealers take note: LEARN your product and LEARN your competition. Buyers of this car will weigh all the options and positives, so figure them all out and find the right selling points. If there's one thing that pisses me off about salesmen, it's that they THINK they know what you want without actually telling you about great things you didn't even know about. Why is this important? Simple, really, this is a FABULOUS automobile by looks and stats. Consumers need to be forced to realize why not to ignore it. Don't just make them see it and 'ask' them to find out more at their nearest Buick dealership, TELL them about it right away so they know how it stacks up against its competition.

BTW, I don't care what else it looks like. That's pointless discussion.

I just don't see any similarities to the weird Acuras. Maybe the fast roofline and that's about it.

Hmm...Acuras now have the bold shield grille... Buicks have a tri-shield badge. Maybe they could replace the waterfall grille with a giant tri-shield to do battle with Acura.. :)

While I'd hoped this new LaCrosse would be more original in a Buick kind of way, this is a look that people want today.

Right. This was worded very well. I wanted a LaCrosse that didn't invite comparisons to so many other cars. I've read several times that, when Buick first launched the Riviera coupe, there was nothing to compare it to. It set a benchmark. When Cadillac introduced the Seville, it also set off a trend that others followed. Yes, yes, agreed...the quality looks high, the attention to detail is obvious, and I'm sure it will be a very sound car; however, I'm a little disappointed. Like H.E. said, it's the "look" people want today.

I finally found something to complain regarding the LaCrosse: why is AWD only offered on the mid-level CXL? It's ridiculous! It should be an option across all trim levels.

Edited by ZL-1

I finally found something to complain regarding the LaCrosse: why is AWD only offered on the mid-level CXL? It's ridiculous! It should be an option across all trim levels.

See, I could understand it not being offered on the CX, but I would definitely want to see it offered on the CXS. I'm interested in knowing what's going on with the Super. It took forever for them to shove the 5.3L in the W--I'm just assuming we'll find the 300hp version of the DI 3.6L as the "Super" trim.

I have to say, I absolutely love this car though. The other day walking in the hallway, I told my student who loves cars, "The new Buick LaCrosse pictures came out yesterday." My other student said, "They still make Buicks?" I wish I could afford a new one just to show him what a Buick really is (not referring to the majority of the mid-90's/early 2000's models--which is all they know since they were born in 1995).

I don't think they will do a Super model, it will torque steer too much, 280 hp is pushing it for front drive. Unless they do a turbo 3 liter V6 and all wheel drive, like the Ford Ecoboost cars. I am not sure why awd isn't available with the 3.6 liter, but to do a Super they'd have to make it awd.

I don't think they will do a Super model, it will torque steer too much, 280 hp is pushing it for front drive. Unless they do a turbo 3 liter V6 and all wheel drive, like the Ford Ecoboost cars. I am not sure why awd isn't available with the 3.6 liter, but to do a Super they'd have to make it awd.

What about the 300hp LaX Super that is FWD? The reviews have been that there is almost no noticeable torque steer and the handling is remarkable for a FWD car on a dated platform.

Cadillac has nothing that goes against an LS460, Buick never will. GM doesn't have an 8-speed or a direct injection DOHC V8 or a chassis for it, the only piece they have is the 2-mode hybrid, which has yet to be used on a car. Lexus had all that 2 years ago, GM should have been working on that stuff, but they wasted money on Saturn, Saab, Hummer, and full size SUVs.

by "all that 2 years ago" you mean just the 8-speed right? Lexus doesn't have a direct injection V8 and they don't have a 2-mode hybrid.

What about the 300hp LaX Super that is FWD? The reviews have been that there is almost no noticeable torque steer and the handling is remarkable for a FWD car on a dated platform.

But does it sell and is there demand for a performance Buick? An average handling rear drive car would be far superior; people that want performance or handling can choose from a dozen rear drivers that will do it better.

by "all that 2 years ago" you mean just the 8-speed right? Lexus doesn't have a direct injection V8 and they don't have a 2-mode hybrid.

The LS460 V8 is direct injection, that came out for the 07 model year, the 2006 Lexus GS300 had a direct injection V6. The current GS460 makes 340ish hp because it is not DI like the LS motor is. It's not a two-mode, but they have a hybrid system, and the Lexus hybrids do fairly well in mileage. Hard to judge them because there are no other luxury hybrids but the Escalade with 20 mpg.

But does it sell and is there demand for a performance Buick? An average handling rear drive car would be far superior; people that want performance or handling can choose from a dozen rear drivers that will do it better.

Doesn't matter when you're still wrong about the torque steer. GM could still do a FWD Super

The LS460 V8 is direct injection, that came out for the 07 model year, the 2006 Lexus GS300 had a direct injection V6. The current GS460 makes 340ish hp because it is not DI like the LS motor is. It's not a two-mode, but they have a hybrid system, and the Lexus hybrids do fairly well in mileage. Hard to judge them because there are no other luxury hybrids but the Escalade with 20 mpg.

My bad on the DI thing. The website I looked at had the LS listed as SEFI.

Lexus GS and IS are DI also, that is why they make 304 hp, and the ES, RX and Camry are 268-270. The BMW sixes with 250 hp (X3, X5, 330i) have it also, the 328i does not. Any turbo BMW has it. GM wants to make it seem like they were first to use direct injection but it was has been around for 3-4 years.

What I want to know is if the Lexus HS250h is a Corolla in disguise, if so that is really lame. However, a Buick done like that could work, because they aren't trying to compete with Mercedes.

See, I could understand it not being offered on the CX, but I would definitely want to see it offered on the CXS. I'm interested in knowing what's going on with the Super. It took forever for them to shove the 5.3L in the W--I'm just assuming we'll find the 300hp version of the DI 3.6L as the "Super" trim.

The way I see it is this: it's a mechanical option, so it should be available in all trim levels.

Re the Super and assuming the Regal really is approved for the US market, I'd rather have a Regal GNX based on the Insignia OPC drivetrain.