Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcat

Automotive News: Buick to get new tag line, ad campaign

55 posts in this topic

According to Automotive News, Buick is to get a new tag line and an ad campaign to change perception of its vehicles.

AN's website states, "Buick will get a new advertising campaign for the brand and the new LaCrosse sedan this summer. The campaign will have a different tag line, too, from Buick's current 'Drive Beautiful.' Buick chief Susan Docherty said General Motors realizes the brand suffers from a consumer perception that its vehicles are for elderly, conservative buyers. That perception has contributed to a sharp sales slide for Buick from its glory years."

My guess would be "The Craft of Modern Luxury." What do YOU think?

I hope this is Buick's last new tag line in a while. It seems like they change every year recently.

Yes, you're right Northstar. But what if -- this time -- GM takes specific steps to really change the perception of Buick?

Yes, you're right Northstar. But what if -- this time -- GM takes specific steps to really change the perception of Buick?

Well clearly that would be the goal here, but it seems GM must be wasting a lot of money coming up with new marketing tag lines all of the time. If they spent all of that money on actually advertising a good tag line then perhaps Buick's perception wouldn't be what it is right now.

Oldsmoboi: "Drive Beautiful" wasn't bad.

Northstar: Points well-taken. What do you think of "The Craft of Modern Luxury"? It's classy and aspirational, don't you think?

snicker-snicker, chortle chortle. B-because... :lol: you kno :lol: .... they're really just all :lol:REBADGES!!!!

a-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

:rolleyes:

Satty and balthazar: Are you having fun? I was trying to have a serious discussion (and have NEVER pooped on your posts) :neenerneener: .

GM, which has access to the company's financials, knows the profit margins, sees the sales figures, fully understands the costs, and holds the future product plans in its hand, seems to think Buick is worth keeping and hasn't given up on it.

Edited by wildcat

that will take the elimination of the lucerne first (edit, as is)... the enclave and now the new lacrosse have been big steps, but the lucerne is keeping the shoes tied together.

Edited by loki

I'm imagining that the Lucerne evidently will stay around as long as 1) it brings in some money ; 2) is given minimal if any investment ; and 3) if one goes by Mark LaNeve's latest comments from the Auto Show, what the final CAFE policies will be. Probably it'll just fade into the sunset in a number of years (around the same time as the Pontiac G8?).

If Buick would stick the Regal in its showrooms, that would be another "punch" to help change perception.

Personally, I liked the Lucerne better without the "Super" grille.

I don't know if Buick will really need the Lucerne. The new LaCrosse is a big car and I expect it will have plenty of room front and rear and be classified as full-size by EPA standards.

I don't know if Buick will really need the Lucerne. The new LaCrosse is a big car and I expect it will have plenty of room front and rear and be classified as full-size by EPA standards.

Yep, Northstar, if the market is shifting to smaller and more fuel-efficient cars, then I suppose the Lucerne has received its last investment. (But why do many here keep asking for the Buick Statesman to come here as a Roadmaster or whatever? Yes, the interior was nice at the time... but look how nice these latest GM interiors seem to be. Besides, it'd be TOO BIG, IMHO.)

Meanwhile, on the forum of CamaroZ28.com, a knowledgeable poster, guion ("Guy") says the Lucerne and DTS RWD replacements are really on hold, rather than canceled, that GM "kicked the can down the road" on those two.

Anyway, to get back to the premise of this thread, if Buick needs a perception-changing tagline, "The Craft of Modern Luxury" sounds good to me.

Buick chief Susan Docherty said General Motors realizes the brand suffers from a consumer perception that its vehicles are for elderly, conservative buyers.

That isn't perception, that is truth, the average age of a Buick sedan buyer is 67. Build a conservative looking, soft riding, full size sedan with oversized buttons and clocks on the dash and you'll get that demographic.

"The only way to travel is Buick style" is my guess. Otherwise they will just use whatever Lexus used 10 years ago, since they want to be like Lexus but are several years behind them.

That isn't perception, that is truth, the average age of a Buick sedan buyer is 67.

According to the January 8, 2009 Detroit Free Press, "the average age of a U.S. Buick buyer is 63."

Guess we'll have to begin by changing YOUR wrong perception, smk4565 <_<

( Soup Nazi's voice: "No soup for you! Next!")

I kinda liked "Drive Beautiful"

Oh, I really didn't like it at all.

How about..

Buick is car.

No no... how about...

Rethink...

No no...

Seriously though I like Wildcat's "The Craft of Modern Luxury".

Or they could be just bold and go right out there with, "Not your blue-haired grandmother's Buick", but that's too close to Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" ;)

Thanks, Paulie. But "The Craft of Modern Luxury" wasn't my idea... they've used it already on Buick's website. I think they were trying it out :)

...balthazar: Are you having fun? I was trying to have a serious discussion...

Sorry- was only banging on those with the gag tag lines. Hence the rolleyes.

I like the sound of 'The Craft of Modern Luxury', but at first read/listen, I do ponder it's exact meaning a bit...

What was the past tagline that had 'American' in it? I liked that one the best out of the recent ones, and with true Buick styling heritage coming back nicely, perhaps it would not be unfitting to re-incorporate it.

'Buick: Our buyers aren't as old as Mercurys' (or not)

'Buick: Modern Transmissions Coming Soon'.

:)

moltar: ( Moe of the Three Stooges' voice ) "Oh, another weisenheimer!" ( eye-poke sound effects )

balthazar: You mean "The Spirit of American Style"? Or the Harley Earl campaign?

Must be "Spirit of American Style". On second thought, it's good, but not as great as I remembered.

Was there one something like 'Premium American....' something ??

I sort of liked the Earl campaign, but there were Elements of the Weird to it.

Because reminding people that it's American will drive them away.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room