intrigued

GM scrubs 4.5 duramax?

43 posts in this topic

Looks like GM has axed the engine. I think it's a terrible idea if true, but there is some hope that they may get somebody else to manufacture it and GM could still put it in their trucks I guess. I hope they find a way to put this in the 1500s somehow.

Link from MT http://wot.motortrend.com/6481157/auto-new...gine/index.html

I just read the same elsewhere. Not good at all. This would have been a great for their pickups...

I guess GM doesn't understand that their situation isn't going to get any better by just killing every program imaginable. I suppose they save money now, but if they kill everything they have planned all their products are going to suck again and no one is going to buy them.

I guess GM doesn't understand that their situation isn't going to get any better by just killing every program imaginable. I suppose they save money now, but if they kill everything they have planned all their products are going to suck again and no one is going to buy them.

What these douche's don't get is that they have spend all that development money down the drain and now rather than recovering part of it by selling the engine, they are making all out loss. Is this a game the executives are playing to magnify GM's losses? Defunct all the development from making into production and show huge losses and how much the company is suffering - seems to be their mantra. I guess they will do the same with VOLT! That is the most scary part.

I could understand putting it on hold till more money becomes available, but canning it all together is a super dumb move.

Bad move, just like killing the Ultra V8 was a bad move and where is the diesel V6? Their engine lineup is going to fall behind, because other makers will still invest in new engines. They should be cutting dead weight brands, not starving a brand like Chevy of a new engine or product so they can make some more G6s or Outlooks.

Around here, ULSD is now cheaper than 87 unleaded.

Really? I've been seeing it between 89 and 91.

Hopefully it'll stay this cheap until I can get my hands on the new Golf/Rabbit TDI!

Exactly... It takes money to make money. Bean counters do NOT understand this.

STUPID STUPID STUPID, As much as I hate saying this, I would rather see the Corvette, CTS-V and other low volume, low sellers go than to take a engine that would go into major product lines of trucks and suv's and could sell hundreds of thousands. This is a major mistake from GM. :(

When the house is on fire, you don't stop to clean up the dishes! You just get out! If it's a choice between saving the kids or the antique Saran Collection - well, I know I'd save the Saran Collection.

There are separate federal funds to aid the auto manufacturers satisfy the CAFE requirements. I wonder if declaring this engine "on hold" makes GM eligible for funds to bring it to market?

LOL...

They just don't get it.

It's no wonder GM is in such a bind now... Zeta (which is viable until at least 2016) has been developed TWICE and then scraped... The UV8 has been developed and scraped... This has now been developed and scraped...

Where does it end?

I guess GM thinks they don't need the engine to be competitive... This is actually what A LOT of Silverado/Sierra faithful were holding out for I believe (at least, my family was)

Either that, or the government doesn't think GM needs to build trucks :rolleyes:

Someone doesn't realize that a lot of people are waiting fr diesels to be available in 1500 trucks, and realize that they will probably boost fuel efficiency ratings for the trucks too.

Funny, I'm told it's only delayed, not canceled ..

While they explore selling it to an outside company?

Talk about giving away the keys to the kingdom!

Idiots are running this show.

What I get out of it is, they are de-emphasizing this very promising engine because of the hybrid trucks. I got news for GM: not everybody wants the complexity of a hybrid powertrain. A diesel is much better than a hybrid, imho. Here's an idea: why not marry the 4.5L diesel to the hybrid driveline? That would gain even more in efficiency numbers. Offer the diesel alone, and in hybrid form.

Yeah, that's what they said about Zeta too originally. My faith in GM is waning quickly.

I know several who were 'holding out' purchase of a truck waiting for the diesel. :banghead:

Oh, well..at least GM is still making pushrod V6s and 4spd automatics for their larger cars.. :)

Even still, if they delay and Ford puts out a diesel, Ford will pick up sales, while GM keeps playing catch up. Just like they are playing catch up on hybrids. Delays don't save money, the kill future sales revenue.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead