GM scrubs 4.5 duramax?

Looks like GM has axed the engine. I think it's a terrible idea if true, but there is some hope that they may get somebody else to manufacture it and GM could still put it in their trucks I guess. I hope they find a way to put this in the 1500s somehow.

Link from MT http://wot.motortrend.com/6481157/auto-new...gine/index.html

I guess GM doesn't understand that their situation isn't going to get any better by just killing every program imaginable. I suppose they save money now, but if they kill everything they have planned all their products are going to suck again and no one is going to buy them.

I guess GM doesn't understand that their situation isn't going to get any better by just killing every program imaginable. I suppose they save money now, but if they kill everything they have planned all their products are going to suck again and no one is going to buy them.

What these douche's don't get is that they have spend all that development money down the drain and now rather than recovering part of it by selling the engine, they are making all out loss. Is this a game the executives are playing to magnify GM's losses? Defunct all the development from making into production and show huge losses and how much the company is suffering - seems to be their mantra. I guess they will do the same with VOLT! That is the most scary part.

Bad move, just like killing the Ultra V8 was a bad move and where is the diesel V6? Their engine lineup is going to fall behind, because other makers will still invest in new engines. They should be cutting dead weight brands, not starving a brand like Chevy of a new engine or product so they can make some more G6s or Outlooks.

Exactly... It takes money to make money. Bean counters do NOT understand this.

STUPID STUPID STUPID, As much as I hate saying this, I would rather see the Corvette, CTS-V and other low volume, low sellers go than to take a engine that would go into major product lines of trucks and suv's and could sell hundreds of thousands. This is a major mistake from GM. :(

When the house is on fire, you don't stop to clean up the dishes! You just get out! If it's a choice between saving the kids or the antique Saran Collection - well, I know I'd save the Saran Collection.

LOL...

They just don't get it.

It's no wonder GM is in such a bind now... Zeta (which is viable until at least 2016) has been developed TWICE and then scraped... The UV8 has been developed and scraped... This has now been developed and scraped...

Where does it end?

I guess GM thinks they don't need the engine to be competitive... This is actually what A LOT of Silverado/Sierra faithful were holding out for I believe (at least, my family was)

Either that, or the government doesn't think GM needs to build trucks :rolleyes:

What I get out of it is, they are de-emphasizing this very promising engine because of the hybrid trucks. I got news for GM: not everybody wants the complexity of a hybrid powertrain. A diesel is much better than a hybrid, imho. Here's an idea: why not marry the 4.5L diesel to the hybrid driveline? That would gain even more in efficiency numbers. Offer the diesel alone, and in hybrid form.

Funny, I'm told it's only delayed, not canceled ..

Yeah, that's what they said about Zeta too originally. My faith in GM is waning quickly.

I know several who were 'holding out' purchase of a truck waiting for the diesel. :banghead:

Funny, I'm told it's only delayed, not canceled ..

Even still, if they delay and Ford puts out a diesel, Ford will pick up sales, while GM keeps playing catch up. Just like they are playing catch up on hybrids. Delays don't save money, the kill future sales revenue.

Even still, if they delay and Ford puts out a diesel, Ford will pick up sales, while GM keeps playing catch up. Just like they are playing catch up on hybrids. Delays don't save money, the kill future sales revenue.

Fords recent attempts at truck diesels have been less than stellar.

What I get out of it is, they are de-emphasizing this very promising engine because of the hybrid trucks. I got news for GM: not everybody wants the complexity of a hybrid powertrain. A diesel is much better than a hybrid, imho. Here's an idea: why not marry the 4.5L diesel to the hybrid driveline? That would gain even more in efficiency numbers. Offer the diesel alone, and in hybrid form.

More news for GM: That applies to cars also. I'd rather have a diesel car than a hybrid car.

GM needs to wake up and realize that Diesel engines in 4, 6 & small block V8 size can be a faster saving grace as long as they are quite like a gas engine and no visible emissions with high milage will beat Hybrid all to heck.

I have been waiting a very long time to get a baby duramax in a suburban. Good thing I have decided to rebuild my 94 GMC with a Duramax and build my own modern diesel. I cannot wait for the Idiots in the Ivory tower any longer. :angry2:

This is idiotic. When cost cutting involves hampering R&D in sectors that will be very large growth areas in the future is like shooting yourself in the foot!

In such a competitive field as Automotive you gain market share by LEADING, not by following.

Note to GM management:

Copy the quoted post and write it (by hand) 10,000 times until you understand the importance of it.

Note to GM management:

Copy the quoted post and write it (by hand) 10,000 times until you understand the importance of it.

Ten-thousand times isn't enough.

How does ten-billion times on a daily basis sound?

Why not take it to the extreme? It should be mandatory that all GM management have this tattooed somewhere on their being: forehead, arms, ass, whatever.

The engine form what I was told is only on hold.

Untill you get the whole story don't get bent.

GM could sell this to someone like Detroit Diesel or the like and let them build it in exchange for a good deal on buying them for less they they can make them in a GM plant. Most diesel pick up engines have a life of about 5-6 years and they need a major update due to goverment reg changing and improvment by the compitition. This is not a long term engine like the Small Block Chevy.

GM has a lot on hold and a lot of good engines and product just waiting to come. The fact they have no money and that our wonderful goverment keeps changing the emissions and CAFE laws has changed the game.

GM needs the diesel and I am sure they will find some way to finish this program. With fuel regs as they are they have to have this engine and find a way to convince Americans to buy it in large numbers in something other than a 2500 or 3500 series.

While this is a program be in GM top 10 needs it still is not a top 5 yet.

GM could sell this to someone like Detroit Diesel or the like and let them build it in exchange for a good deal on buying them for less they they can make them in a GM plant. Most diesel pick up engines have a life of about 5-6 years and they need a major update due to goverment reg changing and improvment by the compitition. This is not a long term engine like the Small Block Chevy.

This is exactly what GM did with the motor home business. They sold the business to Workhorse (part of Navistar) and sales went up.

With the housing market in the crapper, it will be a little while until real demand for pickups ( even the light duty ones) goes into high gear. Thanks to your post I will remain optimistic.

This is exactly what GM did with the motor home business. They sold the business to Workhorse (part of Navistar) and sales went up.

With the housing market in the crapper, it will be a little while until real demand for pickups ( even the light duty ones) goes into high gear. Thanks to your post I will remain optimistic.

Lets not forget, their bus business, both city and cross country buses ...

I miss what once was the the truck and bus division ...

Truck and Bus. . . what great products they designed and built.

The RTS is still a staple in transit systems today.

GM transit buses became TMC - Nova Bus- Now they are made by some jabrone company in New Mexico

GM coaches became Greyhound - MCI

All the buses built today for transit are basically crap that last 12 years in order to meet the Fed requirements.

The only coach builder that's worth anything is Prevost now.

Good point. The difference is that GM's motor home and related business was considered second rate until the switch.

By the way I miss '61 Impala's with the contrasting but tasteful second color. That was a neat idea.