Impala SS Dead, Models Lose some Uniqueness.

it would be mostly a waste of money, but to bad they didn't stick the 6speeds in this thing. say goodbye to the best quality of work in a car with some flair... right, Oshawa has the best...hours/car....? hopefully great things are just around the corner...but not likely.

renaming or truely no more? or maybe just a decontenting for ...the last year?

Gone completely. I enjoyed this feature in a rental Lucerne and they have been offered on the Deville/DTS since 1996... doesn't make sense to suddenly can a popular option.

Additionally all Lucernes have the "Super" Fascia right now

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

My mom has an Impala SS. It's a nice car. I'm glad she got one before the got rid of it.

Rainsense wipers are really nice. My Av had them and they worked great. Too bad that option has gone away. Must be a supplier issue.

I was reading on the New Vehicle information thing for GM that 2010 will see the discontinuation of the Impala SS and the removal of the gazelle logos from the C-Pillar. Ugh...

It looks like GM is trying to make this thing look more and more like a fleet sales queen. Job well done, idiots! This is supposed to be the flagship sedan of your high profile, high volume, mainstream brand, GM! It should set the standard for the brand's future, not remind everyone why you need government bailout money.

Why GM is not diligently working on a LWB Eps II sedan to replace this relic is beyond me. Eps II looks to be a wider platform than Eps I; this would allow GM to make the Impala larger and roomier than the current LWB Eps I Malibu. There is no reason GM should wait for the next gen Malibu to come out before replacing the current W-body Impala. Actually, Chevrolet should resurrect the "Caprice" name for this large LWB Eps II sedan. The "Impala" name and badges could then be applied to a rebadged Commodore as a low volume performance sedan.

I don't mind giving GM bailout money to help them survive the current economic crisis. However, I would like to see some coherent and exciting future product plans that would ensure me that this money is being spent in a manner that would prevent this situation from happening in the future.

Edited by cire

the SS was not a true SS. It was not a major factor in sales since most Impala sales are fleet and lesser models.

This is no loss as was the GXP GP.

I would watch for a FWD replacment here in the near future as it is needed and I would watch for a limited number od RWD V8 Caprices from Holden after the present supply of G8 sedans are finally gone.

I would watch for a FWD replacment here in the near future as it is needed and I would watch for a limited number od RWD V8 Caprices from Holden after the present supply of G8 sedans are finally gone.

That would be a good strategy.

Epsilon II Impala and Zeta Caprice.

A volume seller, and an upmarket full size.

Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! GM management are the biggest dumbasses Ive ever seen! They keep this $h! up and Im just gonna give up, and buy something else.

So does this mean that in NASCAR they are going to race the Malibu?

They will probably just change the decals to say 'Chevrolet', since the COT turd in NASCAR doesn't resemble anything real.

Sounds more and more like a fleet queen. Call it a classic and be done with it already. Only offer LS and 1LT trim. The logo on the c-pillar is one of the best parts about the car my '01 even has it. Remind me why are they bothering to do this to it? As for the SS trim that REALLY sucks, big time. At least it had the right number or cylinders in it.

Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! GM management are the biggest dumbasses Ive ever seen! They keep this $h! up and Im just gonna give up, and buy something else.

I assume you own a new Impala SS or plan on buying one soon? Didn't think so!

This is a very old car with a FWD V8 that has to have a computer control the power to keep from blowing the 4 speed tranny out at low speeds.

The present car is not anything special. It does not stop very well. It does not turn all that great compard to well tuned cars. It does not go really fast and is just a little quicker than average. The fact is this car does not meet the standards of the SS badge as Lutz sent down with the GMPD division 2 years ago. It is not sold in great numbers and will not be missed by Chevy.

If anyone had half a brain and needed 4 doors the Malibu 3.6 V6 Six Speed is a much better car if you need a back seat and for not much more if you want a V8 the Camaro SS is a much wiser buy.

We are all here because we are GM fans but very very few of use would ever consider buying this car let alone even go out and really buying one. So then how do we expect people who are not GM fans to think about spending this kind of money for a car that is really old and not that great of a performance car in the first place. And if you want to say you just do not have the money to buy own would you really do it as there are much better options out there at this price point.

The LS and LT are 95% of the Impalas they sell to the gray hairs, rental/police fleets and familys looking for a bargin priced car. The loss of this SS is not anything dissapointing.

The fact is the loss of the low selling Cobalt SS sedan is a greater loss but few will lose sleep over that too.

I would rather see them put a 304 HP 3.6 DI into a Malibu with the Six speed than go throught the motions of a lame Impala SS W body for another year.

Just wait I expect GM has better plans for Chevy soon. Note even with the money crunch they are not cutting back too much at GM on Marketing etc. I aausme the lack of product talk is due to the fact till the money problem is handled they will not show their cards.

Expect a lot of marketing for Chevy this summer for the Camaro.

This is a very old car with a FWD V8 that has to have a computer control the power to keep from blowing the 4 speed tranny out at low speeds.

The present car is not anything special. It does not stop very well. It does not turn all that great compard to well tuned cars. It does not go really fast and is just a little quicker than average. The fact is this car does not meet the standards of the SS badge as Lutz sent down with the GMPD division 2 years ago. It is not sold in great numbers and will not be missed by Chevy.

If anyone had half a brain and needed 4 doors the Malibu 3.6 V6 Six Speed is a much better car if you need a back seat and for not much more if you want a V8 the Camaro SS is a much wiser buy.

We are all here because we are GM fans but very very few of use would ever consider buying this car let alone even go out and really buying one. So then how do we expect people who are not GM fans to think about spending this kind of money for a car that is really old and not that great of a performance car in the first place. And if you want to say you just do not have the money to buy own would you really do it as there are much better options out there at this price point.

The LS and LT are 95% of the Impalas they sell to the gray hairs, rental/police fleets and familys looking for a bargin priced car. The loss of this SS is not anything dissapointing.

The fact is the loss of the low selling Cobalt SS sedan is a greater loss but few will lose sleep over that too.

I would rather see them put a 304 HP 3.6 DI into a Malibu with the Six speed than go throught the motions of a lame Impala SS W body for another year.

Just wait I expect GM has better plans for Chevy soon. Note even with the money crunch they are not cutting back too much at GM on Marketing etc. I aausme the lack of product talk is due to the fact till the money problem is handled they will not show their cards.

No I don't own one, but my mom has a Monte Carlo SS and I would be as mad if they did this stupid crap to it (even though they just killed it). GM is killing everything unique including this, and it's getting old really fast. I think it's a nice car, and if its anything like the Monte I don't find all that crap you just said to be true. If you have so much to complain about just go buy something else cry baby.

*RAISES HAND*

No I don't own one, but my mom has a Monte Carlo SS and I would be as mad if they did this stupid crap to it (even though they just killed it). GM is killing everything unique including this, and it's getting old really fast. I think it's a nice car, and if its anything like the Monte I don't find all that crap you just said to be true. If you have so much to complain about just go buy something else cry baby.

I do not cry for or about the Impala SS, I have just made some honest comments about the car. I have driven and presently I own a W body GTP COMP G that is pretty much the same version of the SS for Pontiac with some extras. I too was not sad to see the GP go either even though I own one as I will be honest and admit it falls short for a car in todays marklet.

The Impala is a nice car but just well past it's prime vs the new cars on the market.

The Impala from the start may have been the best at the time GM had to offer but they can and need to do better. This car is no more an SS than the Malibu SS was. Bob Lutsz has handed down SS emblems need to be earned and not just stuck on the car.

Go drive some of the new cars at GM and on the market and they will show the Impala has served it's time in its present form. If you are honest you need to enjoy tha car you or your Mom has and look forward to the better cars GM will offer once this one is gone.

Hell just take a Cobalt SS for a spin and even though it is an old car the tune of this car will show you why it eartned it's SS badges. It takes more than slapping a detuned V8 in a car to make a performance car anymore.

We need to expect better cars form GM and losing the old out dated cars is the first step.

cobalt ss sedan going away? damn i f-cking am beginning to hate GM/OM and task force.

I don't like the task force to but this was a point of how many did GM really sell. Not many in the sedan mode. Was it worth the extra efforts to sell it as a extra model probably not for what little if any money they made.

The only place I saw many SS sedans were at the Lordstown plant when I walked the line. Even there they were rare.

I'm upset that they're killing the SS. But the reason I'm upset is the reason why they're killing it.

They're killing it because it isn't selling.

It isn't selling because GM SCREWED UP and hasn't updated this car like they should have been! Sure, GM is out of money but had they given their flagship model (and lots of others) the attention it needed, it wouldn't be a fleet queen and perhaps they would have more money because they'd be selling to RETAIL customers at a higher profit. See also, G6, STS, Cobalt, Colorado, etc, etc...

hmmm... i thought they quit making REAL impalas in 96 :scratchchin:

at least now when the badges are off it wont be false advertising...

Amen Cletus! :yes:

Well, I own an '06 Impala SS -- before this car, I had an '03 Cadillac Deville --

I like the size of the Impala, and I love the power of the V8 --

At the time, it was a nice update of the '00 Impala, and while the SS isn't exactly a sport sedan in the tradition of the Impalas of old, it's still a fine car, and offers great value for the price.

It could be a little quieter inside, and the suspension could be a bit tighter, but other than that, I really enjoy driving it.

I like the new Malibu, too, but I need something just a little bigger.

I hope GM doesn't wait too long before putting a new Impala on the road. The next one better have 6 round taillights!!

Mine only has 30K miles on it, and is in showroom condition (white exterior, gray leather interior, woodgrain dash trim; I had the windows tinted and added some very cool silver pinstriping along the beltline), so I can wait for another couple of years before I have to replace it, but I want to replace it with another Chevy of the same size, not with a smaller Malibu.

Well the generic Avis car gets a little more generic.

BTW, when you google "generic car" the sponsored link at the top is car.GM.com.

I've long thought they should change the name from 'General Motors' to 'Generic Motors'. :)

The new Malibu is a great car but there are too many compromises starting with it's narrow body and short height, way too small trunk and gas hog 3.6 liter engine. The lack of rear seat center armrest and over assist handles are silly too. I have driven lots of both new style and old style Malibus and the new model has a more shallow trunk even compared to my previously owned 07. I consider the new Bu more of a compact than a mid size. Thats why I opted for a 2008 2LT Impala 3900 and couldn't be happier. It has a much roomier front seat, way larger trunk, is taller and considerably easier to get into, rides and handles far better than people on this site give it credit for and I can crack well over 30 on the highway despite that outdated pushrod engine, low tech 4 speed automatic and the prehistoric W-body chassis. Any 3.6 Malibu or Aura I have driven has trouble getting more than 26-27 on pure highway trips. The smaller Malibu also weights more than my Impala. Now I will agree that the new Malibu is a bit more refined feeling with the DOHC V6 and has more tranny gears plus it's chassis feels more modern when you fling it around corners at high speeds but the difference is not very noticeable in everyday driving. Must be I have half a brain but I do know one thing. Todays engineers have a lot to learn when it comes to interior packaging, weight control and trunk space. The new LaCrosse is another example of poor packaging with it's tiny 12.8-13.3 cu.ft trunk which is a joke for there flagship car. What ever happened to the over 20 cu. ft. trunks of the 90's? Some people do more than race and take corners at insane speeds. The new Malibu 4 cylinder models also have the electric power steering which was a disaster on the 04-07's. I can't tell you how many folks had trouble with it. My 07 was in no less than 7 times for power steering related problems. The W-body is a bit less refined but is more simple and reliable- a plus when your out of the warranty.

Edited by ponchoman49

Funny tonight, after watching 50 year old Mark Martin win the Southern 500 and grab his second win of the season (his first multiple win season since 1999) and seeing SEVEN Chevrolets finish 1 through 7, Jeff Gordon's car has an Impala logo decal inside the side window right where the impala logo would be on the real car.

Still think there are two possible outcomes here.

1) GM turns the G8 into Impala SS

2) NASCAR will have the Malibu as GM's official entry

The new Malibu is a great car but there are too many compromises starting with it's narrow body and short height, way too small trunk and gas hog 3.6 liter engine. The lack of rear seat center armrest and over assist handles are silly too. I have driven lots of both new style and old style Malibus and the new model has a more shallow trunk even compared to my previously owned 07. I consider the new Bu more of a compact than a mid size. Thats why I opted for a 2008 2LT Impala 3900 and couldn't be happier. It has a much roomier front seat, way larger trunk, is taller and considerably easier to get into, rides and handles far better than people on this site give it credit for and I can crack well over 30 on the highway despite that outdated pushrod engine, low tech 4 speed automatic and the prehistoric W-body chassis. Any 3.6 Malibu or Aura I have driven has trouble getting more than 26-27 on pure highway trips. The smaller Malibu also weights more than my Impala. Now I will agree that the new Malibu is a bit more refined feeling with the DOHC V6 and has more tranny gears plus it's chassis feels more modern when you fling it around corners at high speeds but the difference is not very noticeable in everyday driving. Must be I have half a brain but I do know one thing. Todays engineers have a lot to learn when it comes to interior packaging, weight control and trunk space. The new LaCrosse is another example of poor packaging with it's tiny 12.8-13.3 cu.ft trunk which is a joke for there flagship car. What ever happened to the over 20 cu. ft. trunks of the 90's? Some people do more than race and take corners at insane speeds. The new Malibu 4 cylinder models also have the electric power steering which was a disaster on the 04-07's. I can't tell you how many folks had trouble with it. My 07 was in no less than 7 times for power steering related problems. The W-body is a bit less refined but is more simple and reliable- a plus when your out of the warranty.

Umm... the new LaX has a huge trunk... 17-18 cu ft...

Funny tonight, after watching 50 year old Mark Martin win the Southern 500 and grab his second win of the season (his first multiple win season since 1999) and seeing SEVEN Chevrolets finish 1 through 7, Jeff Gordon's car has an Impala logo decal inside the side window right where the impala logo would be on the real car.

Maybe...

I would file this under who cares....

Granted I like the ride of the Impy, but they really should have killed it when the new Bu came out...

Oh well, it will happen soon anyways....

I'm glad I've got one of the earlier models is all I can say- before they started cheaping out on stuff like the exterior black plastic on the doors (not glossy anymore wtf?).

Well the Bu is a smaller car as that is what it is ment to be. It is equal to most in its class in size and equipment

I own the best W body that was made and can say the Malibu is light years ahead and more competitive than any W body in what GM needs a car to be.

Handling in my Comp G is goods but the ride is stiff. The steering is not better or worse than a Bu with the 18 inch wheel package.

My GP has no rear seat arm rest and the trunk is not much larger than the Bu.

The feel quailty and refindment are what define a car to most people anymore before they move on to trivial things like rear seat arm rest. If the car is old and out dated they will never check the small details anyways.

The 3.8 has served it's duty but it needs to be retired. The 3.6 is a great engine and the fuel economy will improve with the addition of DI. The first Bu did not get this since it was not ready yet.

As for reliable the W body is not that. Just check with the techs at your dealers. I am going to have to replace my intermediate shaft in my steering for a second time because the simple shaft is worn our again after 35,000 mile a common preoblem with the present W body. I have electric powersteering on my Chevy and at this point it has been trouble free and most people who have trouble have blown a fuse in incorrect jump starting.

I am not saying the W is a bad car. It was a good car time has passed by and represents an area GM lags behind in. GM needs a Impala replacment soon as this is a car that makes money and sells in volume. In other words GM needs to catch up as even with the small problems you precieve on the Bu it is still the only one of the two that can meet the imports head to head.

G8 to Impala SS makes infinite sense. Now if the Solstice targa could just live on as a Chev. product, we'd be all set.

Chris :mind-blowing:

In other words GM needs to catch up as even with the small problems you precieve on the Bu it is still the only one of the two that can meet the imports head to head.

The 'bu indeed does that. I had sworn off GM products after a lifetime of driving them...and Cars like the 'bu give me a lot of hope in GM.

Personally, as an off topic aside, the 'bu interior just "does it" for me as a midsized car.

All of the 'bu owners I've talked to have been VERY happy with their cars.

Chris

It would be so much cheaper for GM to change the G8 into the Impala sedan. The Holden plant in AU, I am sure, has already been given a long term life cycle plan for the G8 platform production.

All they would have to do is revise the front and rear facicas and modify the guages. The G8 V6 becomes the Impala LS model; leather, traction control, etc. would be on the LT model; and if you want a V8 then you can only get SS. The GXP will become the SS and be a more "upmarket" model for Chevrolet to have.

I am also sure that an Automatic SS would be ideal for many police departments who want to replace their Crown Vics and Chargers.