Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

Chevrolet 'Camaro/Chevelle' Prototype

91 posts in this topic

Chevrolet Show Car to Have "Zeta Light" Platform Date Posted 11-29-2005 DETROIT — The sports car prototype that Chevrolet will unveil in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit will ride on General Motors' Zeta Light architecture and is almost certain to have a Corvette engine. GM would love to have a rear-wheel-drive coupe or 2+2 vehicle to challenge the Ford Mustang and forthcoming Dodge Challenger, and the prototype will show how GM thinks it should handle the matter. GM would also like its Mustang fighter to arrive as soon as possible. Media are reporting that GM will call the prototype "Camaro," but supplier sources familiar with the automaker's plans say the vehicle might instead resurrect the Chevelle nameplate. "All the magazines are assuming they're going to copy the '69 Camaro, and I think that's highly likely," a well-placed source told Inside Line. "But there's also a chance they could copy the '70 Chevelle, in which case they'll call it Chevelle." Much of the naming issue also depends on the status of GM's agreement with the city of Sainte-Thérèse, Quebec, where the company used to build Camaros and Firebirds. GM agreed not to use the names Camaro and Firebird for a period of time following the discontinuation of those models. But whatever its name, a rear-drive Chevy coupe off the Zeta Light platform is a done deal. Supplier sources say the first two Zeta Light offerings will be a sedan and a coupe, both from Chevrolet. The Zeta Light architecture is a version of GM's Zeta architecture, modified to take out cost and accommodate longer wheelbases. GM would price the Chevy coupe closer to the Mustang than the Corvette, giving it (most likely) a Corvette engine but leaving out the kind of sophisticated performance systems and upscale interior the Vette has. Edited by HarleyEarl

• Wasn't there another thread that said it would be a stretched Kappa? Not that it really matters to me, but I just want to get the facts (if any) straight.
  • I thought all the legal issues with the Camaro name have been resolved or no longer exist.
  • If it is called a Chevelle... I'm going to make thousands of $$$ by selling replacement Camaro badges :D

Interesting. Very interesting.

Done deal? I'll believe it when I see it on the road ... driven by people who've just bought one.

*sighs*

As for the name.............

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"It's coming down to nothing more than apathy" ... The Fray ... 'Over My Head'

If it looks like the C&G Underground Chevelle by Bob (Camino) says anything I know he wants royalties!!! But to build on this, I've also heard of rumors of a Chevelle sittting in the design studios. Who the H&ll knows!

Or maybe Chevelle is sedan only? The coupe is called Camaro?

GM agreed not to use the names Camaro and Firebird for a period of time following the discontinuation of those models

I wonder how long this "period" is. It's been quite a while since the last Camaro rolled off the line.

Oh yeah, and I thought Zeta was supposed to be a strange mixture of the Commodore platform, Sigma, and some other parts to build an affordable RWD platform. So where does the "Zeta Lite" come from??

AH-HA commented on Zeta Lite years ago as did Evok. That's why C&G has the latest news & info.

But what did they say? Is Zeta Lite some new homegrown thing? Is it heavily drawn from the original Zeta (as I waould guess by the name) or a mishmash of several other architectures as tonycipriani was asking? What are the relationships between all of these platforms?

But what did they say? Is Zeta Lite some new homegrown thing? Is it heavily drawn from the original Zeta (as I waould guess by the name) or a mishmash of several other architectures as tonycipriani was asking? What are the relationships between all of these platforms?

[post="50466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I thought GM said that they made some mistakes in the designing of the Zeta platform so they redid it as the Zeta light. I also thought that Zeta borrowed from Sigma platform but was done in a way to make it cheaper. Does it matter anyway it will take GM 3 years at best to get it out to us even if they rush because of how slow they move. Nice news but I can not do the same thing I did with the Soltice. Getting happy about it and waiting years for it to hit the market.

As a college student, who will be graduating in the next 2-3 years I really want a sweet ass RWD Chevy. I dont care what it is called. Just build it so i can spend my first pay check on it. PLEASE

I hope it is not as retro as the Challenger concept car. I would like to see something in more of a modern theme. Do something for the coming ages and not a design that digresses back to the original.

I believe that Edmunds got most of their story by Guy. I'll say that Edmunds really likes to guess, and well, they might be slightly off in this piece, however how bad ass would a new Chevelle be?

How about both? YES PLEASE! :)

I hope they go with Camaro......I miss that car more than the Chevelle.

Just adds a lot of suspense and excitement leading up to the N.A.I.C.S. Can't wait to see the Chevy concepts. Christmas comes in January for me. :)

Zeta or Zeta lite (live rear axle anyone?) would be logical if this new vehicle is aimed at Mustang as, the way I understand it, Kappa is designed for relatively low volume production. Wish list: 255 hp V6 or optional 400 hp V8 6 spd manual or 6 spd auto RWD live rear axle (or cheapish version of IRS) 2 door 4 seat 3000 lbs (if at all possible) yeah baby!!!! Bring it on.

Ah, the old name game again. I dont know, I still think that GM would be a bit weary to bring back the Chevelle nameplate after they got their happy asses crucified over the new GTO. But I wouldn't mind as long as there are enough styling cues to show that it is a Chevelle, but not full on retro. Either way I am just glad that Chevy is getting a Mustang/Challenger competiter back in the ring, the GTO is cool and all, but it feels lonely without a consumerate Chevy by its side. Whatver name the new car gets I guess we will all just have to remeber...rose by any other name would still smell just as sweet. // c0ld_phuz10n Edited by c0ld_phuz10n

At this point, I don't care what they call it. Just bring it!

Zeta's platform is not based on Sigma (that's is the problem), it's a heavily modified Commodore platform with Sigma based suspension. But being Australian it is relatively high cost. So before they bring it to the US they had to take some cost out, hence Zeta-light. Either way I hope the result is striking, GM could really use a Mustang / 300C competitor.

I just hope that GM can quickly bring this vehicle(s) to market. Does anyone know how far along they were in the design process before they were "put on the back burner/ set aside/ held off on"? Does anyone know if they were able to transfer anything for that design/engineering to the new vehicle(s)? All I ask is this: GM build a 2 Dr, RWD, V8, " PONY CAR " (i.e. MUSTANG) AND GM build a 4 Dr, RWD, V8, SEDAN (i.e. 300C/CHARGER/ '96 IMPALA SS)

I really like the fact that they are desperate to bring the Mustang fighter to market. Regardless of if it's called Camaro or Chevelle at the show, it will be Camaro in production form, no doubt about it. Camaro is something like the 3rd or 4th most recognized nameplate; Chevy would be stupid to drop that kind of association.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0