New Challenger pics!!!!!!!!!!

Chazman

that interior is bad. its like no better than it was in the 60's. the exterior i am ok with,but its tacky interiors like that that continue to make US cars look like junkpiles in the eyes of a lot of shoppers. or maybe its just that it looks chrysler cheap. Edited by regfootball

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the interior in any year Roadrunner. With Mopar muscle, it's been a sort of tradition to put their money into the mechanical bits. Chrysler built some fast, durable cars during the Musclecar Era. This new Challenger continues that focused tradition... HEMI, BAYBEE!!!

Still, I like the interior, with the console tilted toward the driver, the Pistol Grip shifter, and the same general dash and door panel theme as the original car. Awesome.

while the challenger makes me naseaous... i look forward with great anticipation when each of the big three have their muscle cars again. Mustang, Challanger, and Camaro can race around the block together... Can someone delete my messed up post? Edited by jbartley

Waaaaay off topic but Dave, when you're in Detroit you have GOT to arrange a meeting with this "Backseat Betty"...she's gotta be 18 now.  B)

http://www.mph-online.com/mag/bettys/003

[post="61927"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nice legs, not so great hair do.... :blink:

It'll be so cool when Mustang is joined by Challenger and Camaro again.  They all make import lovers look like such pussies.  Yeah, I said it.  Now what? :angry:  :AH-HA_wink:

[post="62158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:cheers: :CG_all: :metal: :)

YES!!! so true. (except my daily driver right now is a Datsun) Edited by Sixty8panther

Look at the interior in any year Roadrunner.  With Mopar muscle, it's been a sort of tradition to put their money into the mechanical bits.  Chrysler built some fast, durable cars during the Musclecar Era.  This new Challenger continues that focused tradition... HEMI, BAYBEE!!! 

Still, I like the interior, with the console tilted toward the driver, the Pistol Grip shifter, and the same general dash and door panel theme as the original car.  Awesome.

[post="62305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not a real HEMI, baybee!!

Anyways, have I said how much this interior looks like ass? I think my 95 GAGT has a better interior...

:lol: HATERS!! I think this car has one of the coolest interiors I've ever seen. It really matches the exterior, and they didn't feel the need to use stupid fake wood. If they do ever build a new Camaro, it will will be much more expensive than the Mustang, and Challenger.....and will die again after a few years. And if it looks like that clay mock-up/rendering picture......it will be lame. (p.s., I really think the new Camaro will be cool)

Holy 'lots of haters' Batman!

I agree. It's still way too early to be talking about pricing, but logic dictates a similar pricing scale to what we've already been shown. Stuffing the 6.1 into the Challenger for 28k effectively makes the 40k SRT Charger and 300 obselete. Besides two-doors, those cars wouldn't offer much more than it

There would not be much competion between $38K Charger/Magnum SRT-8 or the $42.6K 300 SRT-8 compared to a $28K Challenger R/T - there are many people that wouldn't even consider some of the other options but might like the Challenger - Parts bin technology helps to keep all of the prices (and PROFITS) competitive

How will the frameless windows affect the crash results.

I must have missed the day in engineering school where glass helped side impacts - frameless windows seem to be working just fine for MB so I think they will be ok on a Dodge - Beside the look of a REAL hardtop makes it worth the design work - hands down

(This has GOT to be my biggest post ever! :P )

"...that interior is bad. its like no better than it was in the 60's."

There were no Dodge Challengers before 1970 model year.

Also, muscle car buyers are not "Honda Fanatic" sissies who nit pick interior parts to death.

[post="62481"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know, it just looks bad, like something designed at the last minute by a high school student. The Ford GT's interior is retro, too, but it looks professionally done.

I love it all. BUILD IT! I guess the only thing I would change is the instrument cluster...I don't really like the fact that it's a big rectangle, but I love the rectangular look of the rest of the dash. The seats are cool as hell too...very 1970s. It's going to be a tough choice for me in the next few years when I'm in the market for a new car....Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger?

Found on Google... thought I'd share. :)

Posted Image

I think it's HOT....and I love it..... But I'm worried that GM may be caught kinda flat-footed in the performance department with the new Camaro..... IF we assume that Challenger will have a 5.7L with 340hp and a 6.1L with 425hp......will Camaro be able to compete with a 5.3L with 303hp and a 6.0L LS2 with "only" 400hp? I'm hoping that Chevy has a (production) trick up its sleeve......

I wouldn't worry about the Camaro's power numbers. The 'Vette is getting a new 6.2L engine with VVT and other upgrades and will easily be able to make 430HP, and there's no reason why the top Camaro couldn't share that (I'm not sure when it's coming, but certainly by the time the Camaro is out). The 5.3L is also capable of plenty more than 303HP as seen in the Impy SS. A 5.3 with the same HP/L as the LS2 would have over 350HP.

I wouldn't worry about the Camaro's power numbers.

[post="62621"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wouldn't worry about the power either, as by the time we see a Camaro at the dealers (2011?) so many things will have changed in the market that power will be the least of the issues with the Camaro to worry about.

I think it looks great! Bad ass car. I just have qualms about it looking so retro. It looks too much like Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose got a hold of a '70 and hot-rodded it, than if Dodge actually designed a new one from scratch. Oh well. It's not that big a deal. It's coming, and it looks oh-so badass.

Umm, not a whole lot I guess, it's just a pic from Autoweek of the Mallet Solstice.

[post="62818"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Gotcha... it occurred to me looking at it that it may have been taken from above the Crain's Communications building on I-375. Thought maybe you'd taken it yourself and worked at Automotive News or something. But then I looked at your profile and saw you were younger and in Illinois, not Michigan.

Merry Christmas,
HH

I wouldn't worry about the power either, as by the time we see a Camaro at the dealers (2011?) so many things will have changed in the market  that power will be the least of the issues with the Camaro to worry about.

[post="62822"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Considering the timeline set by Kappa, I believe your estimate is way out of line. I think GM already has a plant for production slated for the platform. Camaro won't go alone. But the "brother car" will not be a Firebird.

Considering the timeline set by Kappa, I believe your estimate is way out of line. I think GM already has a plant for production slated for the platform. Camaro won't go alone. But the "brother car" will not be a Firebird.

[post="63210"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What makes you so sure? It had better be a Pontiac atleast. Better not be a Saturn. A Buick "brother car" would be awesome though! Either Pontiac or Buick. No Saturn Camaro.

The Challenger concept was built to accommodate a convertible from the start. So that would lead one to believe if they build it they will build the vert too.

[post="63752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Being a B-pillarless coupe seems to help that out a little bit... :) Edited by torobud

I just got my C&D today and I didn't read the whole article but looked at some of the specs. The Challenger is bigger than a Charger or 300, at nearly 198 inches long, and weighs 4100 lbs :o I think the weight and large size will turn off some enthusiasts right away.

Looks very nice. Showed it to the guys at the shop and they like it a lot (and two of them are big Chevy guys). What's so great about a "Hemi" anyways? :blink: If I have to sit through more Dodge "Hemi" commercials, I'm going to go insane. :wacko:

It's cheap, light, fuel efficient (with MDS), and makes 340 or 425 HP.

[post="64182"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The way Dodge advertises it though, you'd think it was something amazing. Has the design changed much since it was originally introduced for automotive engines?

Well that thing just looks all kinds of glorious doesn't it!! I feel something is a tiny bit off with the 3/4 front pic, but it's still utterly gorgeous. I'm a GM fan all the way personally, but that Challenger has to be one of the top 5 best looking cars on the road (or soon to be on the road) today, regardless of the price! From what I've seen of the spy pics the Camaro will be one helluva looker too, but until I can check it out more closely the Challenger is definitely ahead as far as looks go. Makes the very-handsome Mustang all of a sudden look a bit second-rate...

It better not be a damn pound over 3425. If you know what I mean.

[post="64550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, from what I've read IRS is a good bit heavier than a live rear axle as the Mustang has, plus by 2009 cars will have even more things that add weight to them. If you get a Camaro at 3500lbs you should be happy. The GT500 convert weighs 4000lbs, so it's possible a top-of-the-line Camaro convert could have a similar number.

The GTO weighs 37xx with IRS and is a little bit bigger than a Camaro would be, but I don't see how they're going to take off 300 lbs without significantly reducing the size or adding lots of aluminum (which they won't because of cost).

I just got my C&D today and I didn't read the whole article but looked at some of the specs. The Challenger is bigger than a Charger or 300, at nearly 198 inches long, and weighs 4100 lbs  :o

I think the weight and large size will turn off some enthusiasts right away.

[post="64024"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The wheelbase is 4 inches SHORTER than the 300C/Charger.

It is 6 inches longer than the ORIGINAL Challenger.

Overall a little under 3 inches shorter than a NEW Charger.

Yeah that Challenger is way too long, and its styling much too retro I think. If they had down a Viper-style side swoop and stolen its front end, then the Challenger would be a much better looking vehicle-and chop it to 110" wheelbase, and even then that's a stretch, let alone 113 or 116" versions. Its just inefficient and appropriate for a Charger sedan, not a Challenger or even a mid-size rear-drive Mopar (note that the B-Bodies until 1991 had a 116.0" wheelbase and they were roomy large cars, yet still had the familiar rear-drive look to it, with space between the front wheel opening and leading edge of the front doors).

I like the design and the size.... the length, width and weight are appropriate as it is an American car, and we have the biggest & fattest people in the world, so why not be true to our heritage of big and fat cars ?? :D

One major problem with this Challenger concept, it's HUGE!!!  It's almost 200-inches long, it's longer than the 300!  They chopped about 4-inches out of the wheelbase, but a lot more will have to be chopped out of the length for production.

[post="66398"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was shocked by it's size. Frankly I was expecting something about the size of a GTO. It never even occured to me that the Challenger might end up being 300C sized. This car is a fullsized coupe, in the same vein as a Polara hardtop......certainly NOT a ponycar. Not saying if that's good or bad, just the way it is. I'm interested to see what it looks like in the flesh next week.

Let's hope GM is MUCH more sensitive with size and weight with the Camaro's execution though.