Chicago: 2007 Toyota Tundra

He was addressing dissenting opinions to his own, unless the 'credit due' line is completely unrelated to the continuity here. 'top-notch' was the very next line.

I truely do feel the exterior is unrefined: the grille shell is ponderously heavy, esp next to the flat, featureless, bezel-less headlights that looked 'tucked behind' the shell.

The front bumper's flattened ends are awkward, the nose is stubby, the upswing in the beltline just dead-ends, thick C-pillar makes for a big blind spot, wheels could've come off a corolla. Where's the 8-foot box?

And is that a chrome rear bumper? :lol:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing wont sell. Why would it? They said the Nissan Titan would take market share away from the big 3...and it really hasn't. This thing is loads better than the last Tundra, which looked like the Tacoma's slightly older brother. It does look a bit like the Ram, and thats probably the buyer that it will appeal to. I think Americans, as much as foreign cars have made the climb, will never ever take to Japanese trucks. Cars=refinement. Trucks=durability/ruggedness. Thats the association. Thats why American cars are neck and neck with the foreigns, and American trucks dominate the market. This truck looks better than the previous version, looks worse than a Titan however. It'll still be last of the pack.

This thing wont sell. Why would it? They said the Nissan Titan would take market share away from the big 3...and it really hasn't. This thing is loads better than the last Tundra, which looked like the Tacoma's slightly older brother. It does look a bit like the Ram, and thats probably the buyer that it will appeal to. I think Americans, as much as foreign cars have made the climb, will never ever take to Japanese trucks. Cars=refinement. Trucks=durability/ruggedness. Thats the association. Thats why American cars are neck and neck with the foreigns, and American trucks dominate the market. This truck looks better than the previous version, looks worse than a Titan however. It'll still be last of the pack.

I recommend you put your money where your mouth is-I will. <_<

I guess you forgot that image and marketing sells cars to the masses nowadays..

Something that Toyota is very good at.

It will at least match the Silverado-it doesn't even have to beat it. :o

This truck will not beat the door down right away....ir will be a slow but deadly

strike to kill...

You would have to be blind not to see that it will sell......

Maybe not in crazy numbers...but just eating away......

Had a problem with you silverado? Ram? Where do you think these people are going to go?

Ugh. A big ugly one to match their little ugly one, undoubtedly built like a clock by our own Texans. They will work fine hauling flats of pansies, furniture, bagged leaves, and affluent suburbanites. But leave the real work to Silverados, Sierras, F-Series and Rams - hay, fertilizer, seed, concrete mix, etc. No working man or respectable hunter would be seen in this overstyled, reptilian pretender.

This truck will not beat the door down right away....ir will be a slow but deadly

strike to kill...

Had a problem with you silverado? Ram? Where do you think these people are going to go?

I doubt it will match Silverado numbers....maybe Sierra, but not Silverado.

I really don't think it looks even remotely as close to "mutant" as, say, a new Navigator.  That, and if the spy pics and recent releases say anything, the new GM trucks are set to come out looking clean and uncluttered, but also boring and plain to almost a fault...so don't anyone be overly anxious about those.

It actually looks like a new, crisp, interpretation of a truck, with a little bit of spice (not Ram flavor, but still...) thrown in.

And if you guys think this has odd proportions, I'm assuming you think bloated blobs like the G6 and Lacrosse are gorgeous? 8)

this has nothing to do with cars and despite your attempt at convincing, this tundra still has lame attempt at poseur styling. the front says mitsubishi raider gone bad and the rest of it is a truly p*ssy attempt at trying to make minute rice look macho.

this looks like what a truck would look like if Kia tried to come out with one. That dash is horrific...whose got the worst dash, the Ridgeline, the Tundra or the new FJ Cruiser?

Jim Press, what a dick, 'we're an American compnay making an American truck.'. You know what jerk, get rid of the HOYOTHA name if you want to call yourself American. You're just a cheap ho for the boys back in Japan, stop trying to have it both ways. You want a Japanese name, but you want to be thought of as American. You can't have it all. If you try too hard, maybe folks will start to think that HOYOTHA IS actually American...if they do what will you tell the boys back in Nagasaki or wherever when you say, "gee Mr. Bossman, you told me to make them think it was an American truck and they did, and pretty soon they wouldn't buy em anymore because they had heard that American trucks weren't reliable!"

Edited by regfootball

i can't wait for the first person to say the new tundra interior is better than this.

Posted Image

Give GM credit here....they struck gold this time...even if the plastics are still a bit not up to par.

Whats up with Camry tires? I thought this thing was a fullsize truck, or are they going to have some offroad worthy versions come out. The interior is not to my liking. Especially the two-tone dash with the silver dials that carry over into the darker plastic. GM's interior is an A+ compared to all the trucks out currently.

Edited by RJB

i can't wait for the first person to say the new tundra interior is better than this.

Posted Image

Give GM credit here....they struck gold this time...even if the plastics are still a bit not up to par.

Agreed. Someone could really cozy up in there. 8)

THe Tundra does look nice, but is not as inviting...

I think if you are going to spend some time in there, GM may be the way to go...

The exterior is horrible. The front end is just weird and the bed is that awful concept design.  The interior is alright, i guess, of course what do I know, I like GM's current truck interior and I don't think I'm suppose to..... <_<

I'm sure if you see enough, it will grow on you.

You have to admit, whether you like it or not, it is different.

strike to kill...

Yeah your right. Image and marketing. Nissan was on a roll...here came the Titan. Oh man this was it. The first REAL Japanese full size entry. Watch out Detroit, its like a Japanese F-150. Hell, I heard a lot of people talk about them. But when it comes down to purchase, people go with the domestics. The Tundra will sell more than the previous model, it wont sell more than the Titan, and only in Toyota's wildest most obscene dreams can the Tundra begin to claw at the bottom of the domestic truck barrel. Titan sales flattened after the first few months, when the initial reaction was gone. If, IF, the Titan had never been released then I wouldnt disagree with you. But it was, and it was one hell of a Japanese entry. And look at it. Image and marketing from who? Magazines? Saying the Tundra will one day compete with the American Full-Sizes in sales is as short sighted as saying the Mustang will be released in Japan and start stealing sales away from Nissan and Honda cars.

Yeah your right. Image and marketing. Nissan was on a roll...here came the Titan. Oh man this was it. The first REAL Japanese full size entry. Watch out Detroit, its like a Japanese F-150. Hell, I heard a lot of people talk about them. But when it comes down to purchase, people go with the domestics. The Tundra will sell more than the previous model, it wont sell more than the Titan, and only in Toyota's wildest most obscene dreams can the Tundra begin to claw at the bottom of the domestic truck barrel. Titan sales flattened after the first few months, when the initial reaction was gone. If, IF, the Titan had never been released then I wouldnt disagree with you. But it was, and it was one hell of a Japanese entry. And look at it. Image and marketing from who? Magazines? Saying the Tundra will one day compete with the American Full-Sizes in sales is as short sighted as saying the Mustang will be released in Japan and start stealing sales away from Nissan and Honda cars.

I understand where you are coming from, but you only need to look at motor trend's truck of the year to see where things are headed...

THe Tundra is not going to be an overnight thing.

And there was another big reason why the Titan flopped-lack of choice-which is

very important thing to truck people. The Tundra does offer choice.

THink about it. What are they going to market? MPGs? Choice? Does everything your F-150 does? You bet.

And loyalty in truckland is slowly chipping away...and as they do....

Edited by daves87rs

Just don't even bother showing the Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra-they're now bottom-enders for the class for sure (this is considering they will probably have little to no differences in styling from the Tahoe/Suburban/etc.). This Tundra looks big, nice, wide, a little awkward at first, but the large truck has always been more about function, and now style and design are a bigger part of the mix, and it shows with this Tundra, which looks like Toyota finally got right. And with 236hp compared to circa 200 for the other guys' V-6's, maybe that V-6 in a large truck was finally worth bothering with. Oh yeah, I'd never take anything below the second V-8 anyway, but that's just me. Nice job Toyota!

Agreed. Someone could really cozy up in there. 8)

THe Tundra does look nice, but is not as inviting...

I think if you are going to spend some time in there, GM may be the way to go...

Better than that? Heck, the Dodge Ram, Ford F-150, and the new Tundra beat that about 10 times over!

Just sayin':

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The interior doesn't photograph well - it looks cheaper than most everyone's come to expect from Toyota, and I wonder about the ergonomics of that center stack. I'd like to hear a first-hand report about it, though, as one thing even the staunchest GM fan will admit is that Toyota usually does quality interiors. I see that they stole the pistol-grip shifter from the F-150...

It looks like they were trying to be aggressive, but couldn't quite do it. It's not bad looking, but it's doesn't wow.

Looks like a legit competitor. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells.

-RBB

-RBB

Of course credit will not be given when credit is due. The exterior is top-notch.

You want credit for an opinion??

Here's another, equally 'correct' opinion: exterior is overdone and tacky AND derivative. Design is neither fluid or cohesive. Blind toyota loyalists will overlook that. Of course.

My opinion is that the exterior is top notch. Why are you getting your panties in a twist? Of course you believe the design is "derivative." All Toyotas are, right? :rolleyes: How much can you do with a truck?

Styling is subjective. It does not matter whether or not someone likes the design. GM loyalists will always say "boring," "derivative," etc. about Toyotas and then try to make up excuses for the equally boring Malibu (it's unique grille), Lacrosse (it hits its target demo), Impala (it comes with a V8!), etc.

Thanks for proving my point.

Styling is subjective.  It does not matter whether or not someone likes the design.  GM loyalists will always say "boring," "derivative," etc. about Toyotas and then try to make up excuses for the equally boring Malibu (it's unique grille), Lacrosse (it hits its target demo), Impala (it comes with a V8!), etc. 

Thanks for proving my point.

How does this differ from Toyota loyalists that try to explain away the failures of two generations of Avalon and two generations of mid/large trucks by saying "Toyota was just testing the waters?"

It works both ways, but let's not throw red herrings around on all sides.

February 9, 2006 – Chicago - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the all-new next-generation Tundra full-size pickup truck at a press conference today at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show.

The Tundra was first introduced in 1999 as a 2000 model. Since then, it has won numerous awards and has been recognized for its value, quality and reliability. The completely redesigned 2007 Tundra will be bigger, more powerful and will offer new body and engine configurations.

"From bumper-to-bumper, under the hood and from the inside out the new Tundra is a true American truck that will set a new benchmark in the full-size truck segment," said Jim Lentz, TMS group vice president and general manager. "It will be aimed at the ‘True Trucker,' the true opinion leaders among full-size owners. True Truckers are highly credible because they use, punish, and demand the most out of the pickups they buy."

The expanded size and power of the new Tundra will be reflected in its ability to tow over 10,000 pounds. To achieve this towing capacity every major component was designed for maximum strength, durability and reliability over the long haul. This will be accomplished with an all-new 5.7-liter i-Force V8 engine manufactured at Toyota's Alabama engine plant. The V8 will be mated to a new heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission. In addition to the new powertrain, Tundra will also come equipped with heavy-duty front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and vented rotors increased by nearly one and one-half inches, and standard rear disc brakes. High capacity cooling and electrical systems will help Tundra tow heavy loads through the toughest weather. Finally, Tundra will ride on a new rock-solid chassis platform with 30 percent higher tensile strength steel.

Development of the new Tundra was spearheaded by Toyota's U.S.-based facilities. Product planning began at TMS headquarters in Southern California. All engineering development was directed by the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Styling, inside and out, was the work of Toyota's Calty Research and Design Centers in Newport Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan. Finally, the new Tundra will be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Princeton, Indiana and Toyota's new truck plant in San Antonio, Texas.

Tundra has been super-sized in every metric of comparison with the vehicle it replaces. Its all-new, full-size platform will feature a significantly expanded wheelbase and an increase of 10 inches in overall length. Tundra will also gain nearly five inches in height and will be four full inches wider than before, placing it among the segment leaders in overall size.

Buyers of the new Tundra will have a choice of three engines. In addition to the new 5.7-liter V8, the capable 4.0-liter V6 and the legendary 4.7-liter i-Force V8, both also built in Alabama, will be available.

The new Tundra will come in three cab configurations. It will retain its three-grade strategy with the Base, SR5 and well-appointed Limited trim levels. In all, Tundra will be offered in more than 30 different models, nearly double the current generation.

Calty designers set out to complement the new Tundra's increased size by creating a design with bold, brave and distinctive character lines that are different from anything on the road today. From the front, the new Tundra features a bold front grille, strong bumper and large headlights with a steely glare, conveying a strong and powerful physical presence. The profile reveals a thicker body and taller doors with character lines and fender flares that add dimension and strength as well as an unwavering stance.

Tundra's powerful and rugged exterior styling characteristics extend to the inside. A "command and control" center provides an unobstructed view of the instrument panel and puts knobs, switches and buttons within close reach of the driver.

All Tundra models will feature a class-leading, roomy passenger cabin providing front passengers with four inches more shoulder room. Two-row models will offer rear passengers nearly three inches more shoulder. Front passengers will receive nearly four more inches of hip room while rear passengers will enjoy six inches of additional hip room. Interior storage capacity is increased with the addition of hidden storage compartments, second-row seats that double as work surfaces (two-row models only), and a larger center console box.

For buyers who use their Tundra as a work truck quick and easy access to the truck bed is essential. The new Tundra will feature a tailgate that can be opened and closed with just two fingers. Robust dampers on the hinges have been added to help cushion the tailgate when opening and also help reduce bouncing when driving with the tailgate down. Other design features with workers in mind include large door handles, inside and out, easy-to-turn HVAC knobs, and adjustable headrests, allowing drivers and passengers to ride to their next work site without having to remove protective gear such as hardhats or gloves.

Designers also had safety in mind with the addition of extra large side mirrors to provide a wide field of view, while reducing wind noise and image vibration, always important when towing precious cargo. Additionally, a trailer hitch will be integrated into the Tundra's frame for better stability when handling heavy loads.

The Tundra will be loaded with standard-equipped comfort and convenience features. An array of options and accessories will also be offered, such as a JBL premium audio system with Bluetooth telephone compatibility, 10-way power-adjustable driver's seat, and a wide-screen backup camera integrated into the tailgate handle for enhanced rear-view safety.

"As much as the new Tundra has changed, there are a few things that remain the same," said Jim Press TMS president and COO. "Tundra will again offer the most comfortable, quiet and refined ride in the full-size truck segment. Its build quality, reliability, and durability will, again, be second to none."

The all-new Tundra will arrive in dealer showrooms in early 2007.

2007 TUNDRA PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall length: 228.7

Overall width: 79.9

Overall height: 76.4

Wheelbase: 145.7

TRUCK BED DIMENSIONS (inches)

Bed length 78.7

Bed width

(at wheel wells) 65.0

Bed width

(between wheel wells): 50.0

Bed width

(wall-to-wall): 65.0

Bed depth: 22.3

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

AWESOME is all that I can say.....and WHAT a stylish interior.

There is no way you can consider this new truck as anything other than a HIT in the segment for Toyota.

No one expects it to immediately sell 900K units a year, even Toyota.....but it WILL make a significant impact in the segment.

GREAT job Toyota! NO Camry-like blandness with this one.....

I can't see what's exactly underwhelming about this truck---as Petra put it, it's a thoroughly competitive truck, and Ford did it really well last time, so it was going to be impossible to blow anyone away. The exterior is my new favorite for trucks, F-150 and Silverado right behind it. Interior-wise, yeah I think they goofed that part, but I'll reserve a full opinion until i get more pics. As is, the F-150 is much cleaner and nicer aesthetically, imo. There's more to come as evok puts it.

I agree with Turbo and Evok......

"blah, blah, blah, blubber, blubber blubber" all the usual suspects' rants on here bashing the new Tundra are making me LMFAO.

I think Toyota did a BANG up job on this new truck.......and I actually think it's DAMN attractive. The new GMT-900 interiors are smart, but the Tundra interior shows some real design flair IMHO and if past experience is to be believed, interior fit-and-finish and quality of materials will be top-of-the-market.

Like I said previously....no one expects it to outsell Chevy or Ford, and the new Silverado will be damn competitive with ANYTHING out there.....but we will see significant impact in the full-size truck market from this Tundra....ESPECIALLY when the heavy-duty and diesel versions arrive....

I also heard a rumor that Toyota was working on a new PUSHROD V8 for the heavy-duty versions....? Evok? Anyone confirm or deny this?

I also heard a rumor that Toyota was working on a new PUSHROD V8 for the heavy-duty versions....?  Evok?  Anyone confirm or deny this?

Pushrod, not certain but unlikely. But I know it will be bigger than what is in there now.

And the back of the vehicle will grow wider as well.

I doubt it will match Silverado numbers....maybe Sierra, but not Silverado.

I think he's talking about matching (or beating) Silverado in "numbers" regarding towing capacity, payload, performance, dimensions....

Matching or beating in terms of design....not necessarily sales numbers.

AND there's something to be said for people defecting to Toyota. One of my best friends (who owned a Chevy pickup once) bought a Tundra for his last truck....simply because he didn't feel that the GM and Ford entries would be reliable enough and he didn't like the Dodge....

He's a true-and-true truck guy.....uses his Tundra for towing regulary....and even takes it off-road sometimes. AND he LOVES his Tundra and doesn't feel it lacks any of the capability of the Silverado or F-150 (for what he uses a truck for.)

I predict that the new silvarado and Sierra will kill these trucks.

First off do we know what 6 banger is going to be used in the gmt 900s? I am predicting the 4.2 atlas I6 with 290 hp and 278 ftlbs or maybe they will tune it more for torque but it will still have plenty of power. then we go to the 4.8 v8 with 290 plus hp and 300 plus ft/lbs. great low cost v8 option and ist a pushrod to. If it gets DOD it will smash toyota's 4.7 in both horespoeer and torque as well as fuel economy. then you go to the 5.3 which makes 320, 340 right now as well as great fuel econemy numbers. That should be right in the ball park power and tourque wise than a larger DOHC engine, imagine that a more powerful pushrod with lest displacment and better fuel economy. Then toyota runs out of engines and GM has both 6.0 and 6.2 v8s making much more power than this new 5.7. 6 speeds will also be standard on some and withing aother year become standard across the line for GM.

Combine that with the new GMT 900 interiors which I think are amazing even class leading and more conservative handsome styling and I dont see how Totyota can gain much. GM will likely out perform that at every trim level and have more options besides with an excellent interior and more traditional and in my opinion better looks.

The big question that no one is asking is, will the new Tundra because of its size compared to the old alienate their current base?

I'm sure some would consider that. As I said (and was lost in alot of the 'musings'), you can call the new Tundra whatever you want, but you can't call it classy, something the last one was in certain configurations. In my estimation, this one will steal more sales from the Ram and Titan than the F-150 or GM as those looking for a truly handsome pickup would pick the latter anyday over this, which according to your taste is either macho or tack-on, bloated macho.

As far as the size goes, as Ponchoman pointed out, this is wider than his Sierra and I think its overall dimensions will be a little too much for most people. I would say the same for equally-large domestic pickups, but so far, Toyota isn't giving you the cab/bed configurations of the Big 3.

The big question that no one is asking is, will the new Tundra because of its size compared to the old alienate their current base?

That's a very good question. The Tundra appeals to many because of it's car-like qualities: ride, comfort and size. You'll definately give some of that up with this new larger, more heavy-duty truck. With more and more capable mid-sizers available, people DO have another alternative.

Along that line, one might note that bigger isn't always better. Take the Ford Excursion. It was larger than the Suburban, but prohibitively so. The Suburban is a marvel to drive -- it drives much much smaller than it's footprint would have you believe. Most reviewers made the opposite comment about the Excursion - that it drove even bigger than it looked.

The Suburban is a marvel to drive -- it drives much much smaller than it's footprint would have you believe.  Most reviewers made the opposite comment about the Excursion - that it drove even bigger than it looked.

And the Excursion looked like a bus. So it must have been really ponderous to drive.

The current Tundra buyers will probably find the upcoming Silverado to be just right, if it looks anything like the Tahoe.

I believe it may, but it's too early to get excited about that causing a decline in sales. It doesn't seem to be enough of a setback to cancel the chances for growth. It will all have to do with how much of a market there will be for a Toyota pickup truck.

I am fully confident the GM trucks will give nothing to the new Tundra. The interior of the Tundra while stylish, is too bold, and not as inviting as the Tahoe's interior. Knowing Toyota, the quality and materials will be there, however I don't think the GMT 900s will be behind too much, if at all, in this regard. The exterior of the 900s is what's left to impress. Gonna have to wait until September for that, I guess.

With the postings hasn't anybody else noticed that GM is going to bring the new trucks to market within months while Toyota is showing this a full year from production.

Maybe Toyota needs that year to do something with this terible styling.

BTW Toyota originally projected sales of 300k a year, they won't do it.

Usually, silvery dash trim doesn't look good for long. Oil from human touch turns it black, or it gets scratched easily. Also, look at all the "different" looking switches and buttons, like they went to a hardware store and bought surplus and stuck it all in that dashboard.

I like the exterior, I gotta say. Of course, it's the top of the line model, so they're putting their best foot forward with the publicity photos. I'm sure it's uglier in lower trims, with black door handles, a gray grille surround, etc. Imagine that... ew.

Also, are those aluminum wheels? They look like wheel covers, and they look a bit small.

Overall, it looks a bit too weird to win over too many loyal truck buyers. Current Tundra buyers are pretenders, not real truck guys. This new truck doesn't break through, imo, at least in light duty form.

Edited by ocnblu

Usually, silvery dash trim doesn't look good for long.  Oil from human touch turns it black, or it gets scratched easily.  Also, look at all the "different" looking switches and buttons, like they went to a hardware store and bought surplus and stuck it all in that dashboard.

I like the exterior, I gotta say.  Of course, it's the top of the line model, so they're putting their best foot forward with the publicity photos.  I'm sure it's uglier in lower trims, with black door handles, a gray grille surround, etc.  Imagine that... ew.

Also, are those aluminum wheels?  They look like wheel covers, and they look a bit small.

Overall, it looks a bit too weird to win over too many loyal truck buyers.  Current Tundra buyers are pretenders, not real truck guys.  This new truck doesn't break through, imo, at least in light duty form.

Which Tundra has a fake grill surround, or you mean the faux metal (plastic) on the GM grills?

The current Tundra sales have been increasing, while the Tacoma's sales have been flat. Because the size and cost of the two trucks are close, buyers probably decided the Tundra was the better buy. I like the current Tundra, especially for its tidy dimension. The larger dimensions of the new truck make it more unlikely that I would consider one. I would expect more of the suburban pickup buyers going to the Tacoma over this thing.

Which Tundra has a fake grill surround, or you mean the faux metal (plastic) on the GM grills?

He's prediciting the low-line Tundras will have the chintzy black plastic grille surround currently found on low-line Tacomas. The cheap crap that looks like this...

Posted Image

Something no GM truck has to that obvious degree.

http://www.autobase.com/photos/large/02262728.jpg

Ouch. Sorry.

He's prediciting the low-line Tundras will have the chintzy black plastic grille surround currently found on low-line Tacomas. The cheap crap that looks like this...

Posted Image

Something no GM truck has to that obvious degree.

Ouch. Sorry.

Why would you predict what's found on a Tacoma will be on a Tundra?

Toyoguy, what I'm saying is... the publicity photos show the top-of-the-line Tundra. All manufacturers do the same thing, I'm not banging them for that. What I'm asking you to do is think how this design will look in base trim. If history is an indicator, the base models will have a minimum of brightwork. Look at Fly's photo of a base Taco above. I predict this will be an indicator of what a base Tundra will look like.

I am interested in seeing photos of a regular cab, shortbed Tundra in production trim (we've seen spy photos of this bodystyle).

I will say again... this new Tundra still misses the target for the heart of a middle American male. It's just too weird looking. The most apt description is posted above in laserlike clarity... tadpole from hell.

All of this debate is academic: the press will make sure Toyota succeeds this time around.

Today's Toronto Star declared so. They gush over the new truck plant in Texas and cheer the frontal assault Toyota is making in the heart of America's truck market. The Star stands up on its chair and cheers about Toyota's foray into NASCAR. Frankly, I was nauseous by the time I finished reading the paper.

Ten years and Toyota still hasn't got it right, but the media keeps on trumpeting Toyota's every press release.

A bit of an aside here: Mark Richardson is the editor of the Wheels section of the Toronto Star. One would assume him to be a car/truck guy, right? Now, I know many, many car and truck freaks and most of them (including me!) can be pretty snobby about smaller vehicles, etc. Yet this guy, head chief honcho of the entire Wheels section, gets packed off to the Klondike for a week to write a (front page) gushing editorial about the new - get ready for this - Rav4. Not just one front page article, but a 4 week running article on the Rav4. In Canada's biggest newspaper in their busiest daily print: over 1.1 million circulated on Saturday.

What car freak would want to spend 8 days in that tin can voluntarily? Wouldn't the editor of the section pass it off on a junior? Or say, okay, Toyota, you're kidding, right? Give me a 4Runner!

That is like Rick Wagoner doing road tests at the local Pontiac dealer. Who would want to spend a week in the Kondike in a Rav4? Sequoia, I can understand. 4Runner, sure, but 8 days in a Rav4?

Frankly, it stinks. The Star has always been biased and always been a rag, but this is over the top. This is one long, press release for Toyota and I can't believe for one moment that someone somewhere isn't being bought off.

This is my opinion, but if you ever read the Star, it nitpicks over everything GM does and just gushes over Toyota. Mark Richardson even got the keys to a Prius a couple years back to drive for a year.

This is my morning rant, but every time I dare pick up the Star, it makes my blood boil.

All of this debate is academic:  the press will make sure Toyota succeeds this time around.

Today's Toronto Star declared so.  They gush over the new truck plant in Texas and cheer the frontal assault Toyota is making in the heart of America's truck market.  The Star stands up on its chair and cheers about Toyota's foray into NASCAR.  Frankly, I was nauseous by the time I finished reading the paper.

Ten years and Toyota still hasn't got it right, but the media keeps on trumpeting Toyota's every press release.

A bit of an aside here:  Mark Richardson is the editor of the Wheels section of the Toronto Star.  One would assume him to be a car/truck guy, right?  Now, I know many, many car and truck freaks and most of them (including me!) can be pretty snobby about smaller vehicles, etc.  Yet this guy, head chief honcho of the entire Wheels section, gets packed off to the Klondike for a week to write a (front page) gushing editorial about the new - get ready for this - Rav4.  Not just one front page article, but a 4 week running article on the Rav4. In Canada's biggest newspaper in their busiest daily print: over 1.1 million circulated on Saturday.

What car freak would want to spend 8 days in that tin can voluntarily?  Wouldn't the editor of the section pass it off on a junior?  Or say, okay, Toyota, you're kidding, right?  Give me a 4Runner!

That is like Rick Wagoner doing road tests at the local Pontiac dealer.  Who would want to spend a week in the Kondike in a Rav4?  Sequoia, I can understand.  4Runner, sure, but 8 days in a Rav4?

Frankly, it stinks.  The Star has always been biased and always been a rag, but this is over the top.  This is one long, press release for Toyota and I can't believe for one moment that someone somewhere isn't being bought off.

This is my opinion, but if you ever read the Star, it nitpicks over everything GM does and just gushes over Toyota.  Mark Richardson even got the keys to a Prius a couple years back to drive for a year.

This is my morning rant, but every time I dare pick up the Star, it makes my blood boil.

Enough with this press and media mumbo-jumbo. A success of a truck will be based on it's price, it's engine choices, warranty, and towing/hauling capacity. As of now, it is too early to tell.

and I can't believe for one moment that someone somewhere isn't being bought off.

This is my opinion, but if you ever read the Star, it nitpicks over everything GM does and just gushes over Toyota.  Mark Richardson even got the keys to a Prius a couple years back to drive for a year.

I remember the Kenzie article in the Star waxing poetic over the new Impala when it seemed like he hadn't even driven it/never mentioned anything about actually driving it.

I think Toyota tried too hard with this it looks nice and all but the interior is indescriabely odd I like the Avalanches interior better. Instead of trying to make a truck interior why don't they make it into an upscale look like Chevy and Ford has done to their trucks interiors i'm so disappointed with your interior Toyota!

I believe this is the Tundra thread!  More to follow.  This program is the real deal.

LOL...GREAT! Well, I guess that means that GM truly is dead... I mean, afterall, evok LOVED the Ridgeline and so did 110% of the media apparently.

Oh well, the truck is god aweful (Although I'm sure we'll be sold on it judging by responses like this) In fact, I'm sure the media was fainting all over themselves to hump the fender or something. And I'm sure it'll get MT, C&D, CR, NA, Automobile, Edmunds, Bob's, Tony's and Dewayne's truck of the year nods with a parade of press righteous and glorious enough to make us vomit harder than a kid that swallowed draino.

Sell the lie, seal the fate. That's the motto.

The interior of the Tundra while stylish, is too bold, and not as inviting as the Tahoe's interior. Knowing Toyota, the quality and materials will be there, however I don't think the GMT 900s will be behind too much, if at all, in this regard. The exterior of the 900s is what's left to impress. Gonna have to wait until September for that, I guess.

Not that it matters all that much... I mean, look at the HORRIBLE Civic and Ridgeline interiors, yet all we read is kudos.. Aparently interior quality or appearance doesn't count if it's a "transplant"

Tacoma sales which are up 30% over last January are flat?

Overall, the Tacoma has NOT been a success... Just like ALL of Toyota's truck efforts thus far.

And they're probably up 30% for January because of RAMP UP of the new model this time last year. I'm sure Toyota didn't tell you that though.. And they probably threw in a few Scion sales somehow to make things look good.

All of this debate is academic: the press will make sure Toyota succeeds this time around.

Today's Toronto Star declared so. They gush over the new truck plant in Texas and cheer the frontal assault Toyota is making in the heart of America's truck market. The Star stands up on its chair and cheers about Toyota's foray into NASCAR. Frankly, I was nauseous by the time I finished reading the paper.

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!! (See my above post) It doesn't matter if the truck ACTUALLY sucks as bad as most Toyota trucks of the past. Perception is reality and Detroit is as good as dead.

A bit of an aside here: Mark Richardson is the editor of the Wheels section of the Toronto Star. One would assume him to be a car/truck guy, right? Now, I know many, many car and truck freaks and most of them (including me!) can be pretty snobby about smaller vehicles, etc. Yet this guy, head chief honcho of the entire Wheels section, gets packed off to the Klondike for a week to write a (front page) gushing editorial about the new - get ready for this - Rav4. Not just one front page article, but a 4 week running article on the Rav4. In Canada's biggest newspaper in their busiest daily print: over 1.1 million circulated on Saturday.

That's because Toyota has been trying to GROW in Canada for a couple years now. It's the PR machine at work...

What's sad is; I bet all those GM employees will be right out there buying a new Rav4 as soon as GM cuts them their checks.

Frankly, it stinks. The Star has always been biased and always been a rag, but this is over the top. This is one long, press release for Toyota and I can't believe for one moment that someone somewhere isn't being bought off.

This is my opinion, but if you ever read the Star, it nitpicks over everything GM does and just gushes over Toyota. Mark Richardson even got the keys to a Prius a couple years back to drive for a year.

Money talks... Doesn't matter that a lot of those readers are employed by GM... The people on top don't care about the little people, yet the little people still do as they're told.

Of course, ALL of the media is (mostly voluntarily) at the side of Toyota, after all they have to displace evil GM and Ford with someone. Damn Ford and GM, made those people buy a starter for their 1970 domestics... HOW DARE THEY!!! IT'LL COST THEM DEARLY!!!

Enough with this press and media mumbo-jumbo. A success of a truck will be based on it's price, it's engine choices, warranty, and towing/hauling capacity. As of now, it is too early to tell.

Yeah.. whatever...

You're LIEING to yourself if you don't think this piece of junk will be successful. DOESN'T MATTER if the merits are there or not.