Finally! 2014 Chevrolet Impala spied

Looks promising. I like the pointed nose, looks lower long and wider than the current car, hope its proportions are much better than the current one and the new Malibu. Interior looks really promising too, although that steering wheel looks a lot like the one on the S-Class (which I guess is a compliment but I've never been a fan of it).

The question is that with the Impala moving upmarket will it start to cannibalize the LaCrosse's sales? GM should really consider putting that gorgeous top-tier GL into production.

Chris, you need a new camera. The blowup interior picture is grainy :P.

And you were spied:

JB

Were these pics taken today? I was out front of the GM Proving Grounds in Milford around 2:30, and there were a bunch of these cars waiting at the light, and a guy driving an Audi was taking a bunch of pictures. It was funny, I was just telling my wife that people make a living hiding in the bushes for this sort of thing, and then - bam we see it right in front of us!

• Agree 1

And you were spied:

JB

Were these pics taken today? I was out front of the GM Proving Grounds in Milford around 2:30, and there were a bunch of these cars waiting at the light, and a guy driving an Audi was taking a bunch of pictures. It was funny, I was just telling my wife that people make a living hiding in the bushes for this sort of thing, and then - bam we see it right in front of us!

LOL...where did you see that? That's awesome.

Edit: Ha, nevermind, I see it.

The question is that with the Impala moving upmarket will it start to cannibalize the LaCrosse's sales? GM should really consider putting that gorgeous top-tier GL into production.

That will cannibalize XTS sales then. The product planners got it wrong as usual. Does GM really need an Impala/LaCrosse/XTS. Wasn't the reason of fewer brands to cut down the overlap and not compete with themselves. If the Impala is $28-35k as I always thought it should be, it would line up against the Avalon/Maxima/Taurus/etc. Then put a Buick in the $35-45k range to match up against Lincoln/Acura. Then give Cadillac a RWD car in the upper price range.

And you were spied:

JB

Lol! I read that too....which is interesting, since most people living there don't pay attention anyways....my buddy included.

Another detail I notice when I stare beyond the camo: the dual port grille that most Chevy's have outside of the Camaro and Corvette is suspiciously absent. In fact, the grille appears to be something of a combination between the current Impala and the Camaro.

There was a Taurus leading this test group.

I'm not surprised at all by that. It goes without saying '10 Taurus has been giving GM a little trouble sleeping at night.

You can tell the Taurus was the benchmark for the interior. It might just be me, but I think I kind of see the '68 Impala in what little bit of the styling treatment I could see.

If I recall correctly from those who had seen the design of the Zeta Impala it was evocative of the 1967 Impala incl. the tail-lamps and certain elements on the front front end. Bob Lutz happened to mention that when they cancelled the RWD Impala program and switched it to Epsilon that many of these styling cues were easily portable to the FWD car. I don't know what bankruptcy did to the program (changed it or just delayed it?) but perhaps that's what we're seeing here. The placement of the fake lights on this mule here with the backup lights in the middle and brake/running lights flanking that on either side, if that is how they intend the lights to be patterned on the production car, would suggest a pattern similar to this:

1967ImpalaSS427.jpg

You can tell the Taurus was the benchmark for the interior. It might just be me, but I think I kind of see the '68 Impala in what little bit of the styling treatment I could see.

I might have to dig up my pencil and paper.

The Taurus interior is stylistically nice but I think they bench-marked the hell out of this thing. Looks way more well finished than the Taurus.

I'm not surprised at all by that. It goes without saying '10 Taurus has been giving GM a little trouble sleeping at night.

This new car will certainly not be fleeted as much as the current one (that will become the Malibu's job) so I would have to say that this one probably won't outsell the Taurus 2 or 2.5-1 like the current one does. It will be much more interesting because retail will be much closer to a dead heat methinks.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I am not going to be a GM fan anymore. With this car comes the end of the world's best and most reliable platform that Roger Smith envisioned. Shame on you GM for killing your golden girl. I am going to buy the existing Impala and all generations of W bodies as a homage to how great those cars were and Bitch Moan Whine about how they helped GM in its world domination. After that I am going to be a GM hater as GM does not care for its customers which are me, myself and I.

• Agree 2

I hope he is kidding!

I will have a 04 W Comp G for sale I hope by next summer. While it was a good car and I enjoyed it The car really shows the warts and short cominging of past GM work wehn compared to some of the just revent products. Just the interior alone along with the noise from the engine show the gains in refinement GM has made in the last few years.

The W body like the Model T served their duty well but their time has come and gone. The new Impala if priced right will be a hit and will draw in new customers to GM and lessen the need for non profit fleet pricing on the Impala.

I see the Cruze. New Malibu and New Impala as a strong line up that should do well in todays market.

I think some people fear this newer car is going to cost more. They saw the 2000-2012 car as affordable to those on a limited budget. Full size for less. Some people fear this car will be priced more in the range of the Avalon, Lacrosse, Taurus etc.. But if one feels Chevys are becoming too expensive, where is there to go?

• Agree 1

I think some people fear this newer car is going to cost more. They saw the 2000-2012 car as affordable to those on a limited budget. Full size for less. Some people fear this car will be priced more in the range of the Avalon, Lacrosse, Taurus etc.. But if one feels Chevys are becoming too expensive, where is there to go?

At least in Canada, I can say with confidence that the Taurus and Impala have a very similar base MSRP.

I know you had a special fondness for massive overhangs and poor packaging Z06. I'm sure you'll miss it dearly. :P

Are you kidding me. Those overhangs when parked right onto the curb looked like an innocent child placing his chin on the side of the table. They were design standards now emulated by the SL. It is end of GM with end of W body. It is like taking the heart away from a human. GM is dead. I am going to buy Hyundai Sonata Turbo (after I buy all models of W bodies - twice, need parts cars)

The price will go up some as the present car is so discounted now it is similar in price to the Malibu.

I see the new Impala being more than the Malibu but will only go as high as a low end to mid end Lacrosse. You can't really compare it to the Taurus for price as Ford uses the Taurus as their Impala and Lacrosse. It's price goes from below $30K to more than than $40K for the SVO.

Keep in mind GM also has the RWD sports sedan Chevy/Holden/G8 coming to fight the SVO. That will take care of the high end.

I expect as Buick and Cadillac come out with new product and start to build a new customer base they will all increase a little in price and content. This will spread them out and give all of them more room. THey just can't do this yet with the old CTS, Lacrosse and other older models yet. The new car will improve to the point people will not hedge as much to spend more. THe Cruze is a good example. Also they will have other cars to fall back on like the Verano and Malibu if they can not pony up the extra money.

It is sad but the average price of a new car is now over $30K. It is just the cost of buying new,

I know you had a special fondness for massive overhangs and poor packaging Z06. I'm sure you'll miss it dearly. :P

Are you kidding me. Those overhangs when parked right onto the curb looked like an innocent child placing his chin on the side of the table. They were design standards now emulated by the SL. It is end of GM with end of W body. It is like taking the heart away from a human. GM is dead. I am going to buy Hyundai Sonata Turbo (after I buy all models of W bodies - twice, need parts cars)

Well if you want a clean Comp G see me this summer and I will make you a good deal. :)

My dad has an Impala. It is hard to beat for quiet, comfy cruising in a car that needs very little attention. Some ppl like that... that's why the old girl is still chugging along. The new car will be snazzy, no doubt now about that, but I hope it retains its core values that have made it a favorite among folks who don't want a fussy car to worry over.

• Agree 1

I only worry that the next Impala will continue to shrink, especially in regards to width and real-world usability of the trunk.

Otherwise, I stopped having high hopes for the Impala when the RWD Impala disappeared off the drawing board.

This vehicle in the pictures is longer than my car, with a longer wheelbase too. Also it will probably have similar width to the LaCrosse, probably 73-74 inches. This is about comparable to the current car. The issue I think, is more about how airy the space is. It will likely have a bigger back seat since there's ~2 inches of extra wheelbase, but I don't like the idea of a body hugging center console and IP.

I think with the large trunck in the Cruze and the larger trunk in the Malibu the new Impala will not suffer from a small trunk.

I just hope the interior is less claustrophobic than the Taurus is to me. It has a large interior but you feel closed in with the dash and console as they are in that car.

I just hope the trunk lid on the new Impala is a little longer so you can get something into the trunk. Too many cars today have a large trunk with a short lid and it make it impossible to get many taller boxes in between the rear window and the lift over. My GP trunk suck for getting items into it. I have often had to unbox items in parking lots to get them in.

I wonder if the wheelbase will be shorter than the current car, though...I couldn't see it being longer than the Lacrosse or XTS (111.x inches)>

Current wheelbase is 110.5 and the LaCrosse is 111.7 Should have same wheelbase as the XTS. Part of the problem with the back seat in the current car is that the seat cushions in the front are so low it's hard to get your feet under the seat in front with shoes on.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I wonder if the wheelbase will be shorter than the current car, though...I couldn't see it being longer than the Lacrosse or XTS (111.x inches)>

Current wheelbase is 110.5 and the LaCrosse is 111.7 Should have same wheelbase as the XTS. Part of the problem with the back seat in the current car is that the seat cushions in the front are so low it's hard to get your feet under the seat in front with shoes on.

Interesting..I had forgotten the current W Impala had such a short wheelbase....odd with the Epsilon IIs that the wheelbases are so short even on the 'long' wb versions.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I think with the large trunck in the Cruze and the larger trunk in the Malibu the new Impala will not suffer from a small trunk.

You might argue about how the Cruze's trunk is large by competitor's standards, but I consider the Cruze and Malibu's trunks to be awful. The Cruze's trunk doesn't fit my mother's suitcase load. If I owned a Cruze, I'd have to make two trips to the airport to deliver myself, two additional family members and travel junk for three people.

Overall, with the entire industry shrinking cars, I find it especially difficult to believe GM will grow the Impala... especially when it is based on a platform intended for smaller cars (EpII vs W) and GM's current huge CAFE fear.

• Agree 1

Overall, with the entire industry shrinking cars, I find it especially difficult to believe GM will grow the Impala... especially when it is based on a platform intended for smaller cars (EpII vs W) and GM's current huge CAFE fear.

Also, the Impala's growth is limited by the LaCrosse...I can't see GM allowing a Chevy that is bigger than a Buick...

Looks very promising! Very good proportions for a FWD car :)

Now the next step in the plan should be to occupy more of the market by moving the NG LaCrosse to this extended super-Epsilon thingy and letting Cadillac have a RWD-based XTS.

Now the next step in the plan should be to occupy more of the market by moving the NG LaCrosse to this extended super-Epsilon thingy and letting Cadillac have a RWD-based XTS.

You leave the XTS as it is and create a RWD to go beyond it. Cadillac needs more than 3 cars.

The LaCrosse is already on the LWB Epsilon II platform...same as the XTS...sounds like the Impala will be very similar in dimensions.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Otherwise, I stopped having high hopes for the Impala when the RWD Impala disappeared off the drawing board.

BINGO!

Still FWD ... still just a Celebrity/Lumina. *shudders*

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

* Radio.HolidayCDshowcase | 12.24.2011 | Noon-4p.CENTRAL | www.wrmn1410.com *

"Somebody snitched on me" __ Barry Gordon __ 'Nuttin' For Christmas'

Still not bad looking, IMO. I do like the interior, and the proportions. I can make out a bit of the exterior details--like the exhaust: sporty looking. I must say I'm impressed by what little I can make out. I hope the fake taillight placements hint at the return of the six-taillight format.

Would be even more impressed if it were RWD, or at least AWD.

Edited by Turbojett
  • Agree 1

Definitely FWD proportions. But who says a less costly Lacrosse may not be an OK addition to the lineup. Yes, we have all been hoping for a G8 redux or some other Zeta adaptations. But at least RWD is here to stay with Caddies, Camaros and Vettes, with a new platform -- the Alpha -- to boot!

• Agree 1

Hmm, better make a 2.5 liter 4 banger the standard engine, because Impala owners don't are about acceleration. Who cares how slow it is, Economies of Scale! Wooohooo!

Actually, they probably will..isn't a 4cyl the standard engine in the LaCrosse?

I would bet that the 2.0T will be the std. engine making around 250hp with optional 3.6L V6. The reasoning is they want to make this thing competitive with the Taurus and I doubt that they would have 70-80 less horsepower than a standard Taurus which makes 260 horses.

this is a far better car for the intended market than the aussie caprice. It looks like the dash is designed to even accommodate a bench seat / column shifter, and has a large spot for a big touch screen....maybe they will integrate laptop command in for the cops.

I'd wager AWD will be on the option sheet.

• Disagree 3

I would bet that the 2.0T will be the std. engine making around 250hp with optional 3.6L V6. The reasoning is they want to make this thing competitive with the Taurus and I doubt that they would have 70-80 less horsepower than a standard Taurus which makes 260 horses.

But then a Chevy would have a better standard engine than a more expensive Cadillac ATS. And if the 2.5 liter four has adequate power for a Cadillac sports sedan, it must have enough for a Chevy comfort sedan. And a more expensive LaCrosse has a 4-cylinder without a turbo too.

But I agree with you, I think the 2.0T is a better option, because that engine should get the same fuel economy as a 2.5L and Ford may put the 2.0 Ecoboost in everything they make and the Passat has a 2.0T. I also like the optional V6, this is a full size car and appeals to some older buyers who are comfortable with a V6. This is also why I don't like the XTS, it will have the same powertrain as an Impala.

But then a Chevy would have a better standard engine than a more expensive Cadillac ATS. And if the 2.5 liter four has adequate power for a Cadillac sports sedan, it must have enough for a Chevy comfort sedan. And a more expensive LaCrosse has a 4-cylinder without a turbo too.

But I agree with you, I think the 2.0T is a better option, because that engine should get the same fuel economy as a 2.5L and Ford may put the 2.0 Ecoboost in everything they make and the Passat has a 2.0T. I also like the optional V6, this is a full size car and appeals to some older buyers who are comfortable with a V6. This is also why I don't like the XTS, it will have the same powertrain as an Impala.

Kinda like how a Maxima has a better standard engine than a more expensive Infiniti G, or how an Avalon has a better standard engine than a more expensive Lexus IS. It's not unheard of for a mainstream full-size sedan to have a more powerful standard engine than a compact luxury car from the same company.

One more nitpick: Passat no longer has a 2.0T unless you count the diesel.

All that aside, you are correct here; Ford's putting the 2.0EB in the refreshed Taurus as well as the updated 3.5L (290 hp or so). Both engines will have similar torque numbers (250 for the 2.0, and 255 for the 3.5), so the performance numbers should be interesting. They wouldn't dare put a NA 4cyl in that car though. :lol:

And I too wish the XTS were instead the top-of-the-line Buick.

Folks this car is not the second coming of a sports sedan killer. This is a Chevy that is to provide a lot of car for the money.

It will not be RWD like a ATS and it will not be as quiet and have as many standard options as a Lacrosse but it will be a damn good car for the money. If anyone want more car they can move up to the Buick and Cadilla.

While this car will compete on the low end Taurus it will not with the high end. Ford has to make due with one car over a wide price range whole GM has the luxury of two cars to cover this market.

Odds are that most Impalas will be V6 cars since the Malibu will handle most of the 4 cylinder sales. The 2.5 will cover base model requirements and the Turbo should offer an option for a few more MPG while still having good power.

I also expect a LTZ model but no SS if they remain in keeping like they have with the other models. At this point GM has a plan but has yet to tell us anything on it yet. We will know more in time.

The V8 will go to the Holden based SS model that will show up after the new Vette get the DI V8. It will be limited and expensive. I suspect priced in the Taurus SHO range or the GXP range of the old G8.

Chevy is looking to dominate the sedan market in this country not just the sport sedan market. This car as well as it's siblings will do just that. The Cruze has shown that the public likes it and is willing to pay a little more for more of a car. I suspect the Malibu and Impala will also offer this in class.

GM while sharing parts will tune these cars in Luxury, quiet and performace a little different to set them apart. If anything I see the Chevys coming as a very good car with the Buicks and Cadillacs moving up in quality and luxury from where they are at now. The new Lacrosse they just showed a step up in quality and I feel points to where they want to go.

The Impala needs to appeal to a wide group so I suspect we will have more versions of it than the other cars. It will have to appeal to Farmers as much as the family buyers. It will also still have to retain the ability to service fleet sales as this will remain part of Chevys line. While rentals make little money city fleets still show profit and if the car can help them keep cost down they will buy it.

The main thing we need to see is what all versions of the 2.5 we will get along with the other improved Eco engines we have yet to see. These are questions that can not be debted yet since we really have no info on them other than they will be better and more quiet.