Spied: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country [update 11/21]

Spied: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country

Posted Image

(Damn, couldn't think of witty title. Anyway...)

The Car Connection has given us a sneak peek of the next iteration of Chrysler's minivan. (And if DCX stays true to history, Dodge's as well.) TCC only gives us a rear end shot but this photo tells quite a bit about what to expect come next year. This and more in TCC's Daily Edition for May 10.

Read The Car Connection's Daily Edition for May 10, 2006

*Update at post #70.

boy that one dude is pissed off.!

i am not getting jiggy with this new design. its very blocky, yet not edgy. it looks a bit bloated. at least the current vans are somewhat graceful looking.

the more i look at, the more the new sedona looks pleasingly simple. i am not terribnly offended by the sienna design outside (except for the heinous front). I still like the quest, especially with a new interior.

Is chevy getting a lambda van? imagine a lambda van with a small block....!

i think that its the front end that is going to set off that car/minivan. it kind of looks like it may be bulging a tad bit, across the handles--the waistline if you will...

it looks like the shot may be hiding that...the fenders might do something special. maybe. bastards wont show us the whole thing yet.

very sneaky indeed, with their little blankets and such. :P

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Chrysler designers probably fret over the design of a new minivan more than any other model in their lineup because they're historically number one in the class and they basically depended on them for profits for years up until recently. I don't think they'll do anything to risk their position, and they've only done worthwhile improvements over the years. This may be a time when they'll show a bit of swagger in the styling, but the functionality will be top-notch, no doubt. Edited by ocnblu

Ugh... people don't want a hunky chunky minivan. It's not a G-wagon. I hope Dodge versions don't have the Ram front end (or Chrysler versions with a 300C grille).

I disagree 100%. From the looks of that rear shot, that's exactly what people want. The size is there, and styling's a matter of taste. I think it has a clean, uncluttered look. Honda and Toyota dominates with their "hunky chunky" minivans, and it's wise of Chrysler to continue in this vein. The dismal results of GM's current, very lame, minivan/with a snout things are proof that it hasn't gotten the message yet. Sad really, because GM can make a first in class anything when it puts it's mind to it. I think the Lambda vans have alot of potential (perfect size, based off of the looks of the SUVs). If they build an attractive, conventional minivan, they'll be back in the game.

I was hoping for something a bit more Airflite/Airflow/Pacifica-inspired, but this looks interesting. Just don't offer the dull 300 grille, or worse, the one off the Aspen.

They will loose a lot of sales with this unless there is some great improvement in power train or functionality to make up the difference. The present product's styling is still outsatnding, but this is Honda/Toyota like without the reputation.

Well I can't figure out how GM is able to sell their current minivans, but I see them everywhere.

Perhaps Joe and Jane Minivan really do want to pretend that they bought an SUV?

Personally, Dodge's whole new boxy look for their SUVs (and I guess their vans) seems incredible ugly to me.

Well, at least it looks different than the last generation. The current gen minivans were a disappointment upon introduction...with its over-evolutionary style, lack of class-leading features, and so-so powertrain. The design was so disappointing that I remember the press release stating that the "headlights and grill were X% larger" so the automotive media had something to differentiate the seemingly un-redesigned minivan from its predecessor.

As for this generation, it has the new DCX corporate style...blockiness, bluntness, with a dash of cost cutting and weak execution. However, this picture shows a van that plays down the latter shortcomings of Creed-era designs...from this shot (great catch BTW, CD-BP) the design seems pretty cohesive (opposite of Compass, Caliber). Can't say the stance is great...similar to the LX's...but then again, it's a minivan folks.

Cheers to Chrysler for putting some differentiation between the next minivans...I'd expect about the same level as the Durango/Aspen twins...which is a considerable leap forward from past minivan iterations. Hopefully, DCX can pop a decent powertrain in these vehicles...ideally an upgraded 3.5L with a six-speed.

Edited by red

I'm hoping for the 3.8L as the base engine and the new 4.0L (which is based off of the tried and true 3.5L OHC V6) as the top line engine both mated to their new (for 2008) FWD six-speed automatic. My parents have a 2004 T&C with the 3.8L and it is ok powerwise - but gets very good gas mileage - 26 HWY.

The area that they need to improve is on the interior layout. My parents T&C has the navigation that is so small - basically pushed into the spot of the old Chrysler stereo. And there are too many buttons on the dash. If Chrysler could clean that up and make it all look more integrated with high quality materials they would have a winner. Also, I would like to see improvements to the comfort of the ingenious sto-n-go seats. They have the best design for folding in the market - yet they aren't as comfortable as some others.

Chrysler has the chance to really make some significant leaps ahead of the competition. As has already been stated - a lot rides on this vehicle for the entire company. They have to hit the interior and powertrain dead on in order to maintain their lead. I predict they will.

I will be in the market for a minivan in about two years. Do you think there is any chance that GM will have a Lambda based minivan out by then? I would love to by GM but the current vans are a joke when compared to the DCX, Honda, Toyota and even KIA offerings.

Nothing like plumbing the heritage of the 1980's for that special boxy look!

Nothing like plumbing the heritage of the 1980's for that special boxy look!

The 80's seem like only yesterday - but I would guess that there are quite a few posters on this forum that were born in the eighties and can't even remember the world before minivans and PCs. For some folks the 80's is their parents generation.

I knew I was getting old when I hired a college grad girl who was born in 1983. She has little to no memory of the 80's...

Kind of a blockier Sedona rear end, don't you think? It may be a little chunky but so is every other minivan other than the skinny Freestar/Monterey. The current ones are graceful but you can barely tell them apart from the last-gen.

I still think the Quest is the best looking minivan out there, hands down.

Well I can't figure out how GM is able to sell their current minivans, but I see them everywhere.

Perhaps Joe and Jane Minivan really do want to pretend that they bought an SUV?...

It's all about price. I almost bought one of the "CSV's" because of the deal but then I saw the second row seat get ripped out in the crash test. They are all over here in Orlando but they are all rentals for the tourists.

Perhaps Joe and Jane Minivan really do want to pretend that they bought an SUV?

Personally, Dodge's whole new boxy look for their SUVs (and I guess their vans) seems incredible ugly to me.

really? I've only seen a couple..no more than 5 since they came out

I see quite a few CSV's. A few are used as school transport vehicles, though.

I think the poor Quest sales are due to the original interior and poor launch quality. Don't mess with the soccer mom's. I still stand by my comment.

I see quite a few CSV's.  A few are used as school transport vehicles, though.

I think the poor Quest sales are due to the original interior and poor launch quality.  Don't mess with the soccer mom's.  I still stand by my comment.

quest sales were for the reasons you exactly said. they will easily double them with the new interior.

those taillights... they look so familiar... where have i seen them before...

Posted Image

Posted Image

ugh... is DCXs new design plan "lets see how much we can milk out of the LX bodies"? its really starting to bother me...

So...twelve a month?

quest still probably sells more at retail than the GM CSV's.........all 4 brands combined. GM's CSV's are practically all fleet.

i think in 3 model years they have sold about 140,000 quests which isn't to shabby considering the heinous interior. and nearly all of those were retail.

Edited by regfootball

quest still probably sells more at retail than the GM CSV's.........all 4 brands combined.  GM's CSV's are practically all fleet.

i think in 3 model years they have sold about 140,000 quests which isn't to shabby considering the heinous interior.  and nearly all of those were retail.

Honestly...as a percentage...I'd like to see numbers. I've seen many a rental Quest so far, too. Nissan is probably second to Mitsubishi in Japanese fleet sales.

I just hope the new minis aren't complete tubs. Our current "short" Caravan SXT weighs 4100 lbs. There isn't anything "mini" about that. First gen models weighed 3100-3400 lbs.

Pretty ugly! :puke:

It looks like they are going to use a similar center (similar, not same) as their other vehicles. I think the Chrysler corporate center stack looks pretty boring but it looks well refined (at least it looks that, never got to feel one). Have to say, it looks good in the charger though!

guys those arent air vents, duh!, they are wrist chillers for when you have to keep changing the radio station cause you were too cheap to upgrade to a model with steeringwheel controls, seriously though, thats aweful!! random question for you kids, what is the red button?? is it an emergeny off?? i notice its in most all test mules, and theres no sign that says dont push this big red button

wow. this has to be a prototype because that dash looks positively horrible. its so bad, it makes the current chrylser sebring dash look like an audi. it makes the horrible LX trio car interiors look chic and expensive. a little Galanty, but even the Galants stack is not that atrocious. damn, its even trying to imitate the ford vans too I think! my god, hyundai cars look positively lush compared to this sht. maybe i need to get one of the good chrysler vans now while i still can! Wow, Honda and Hoyota must be high fiving each other with big sighs of relief. Our great American business leaders have done it again. The special executives that are worth millions, they've costed and cheapened this thing to the point where it will tank in the market now, too, leaving yet another segment to be dominated by the starch crowd. If Chrylser fks up the van segment its bye bye. Wow, i never thought anyone at DCX would let it get this bad and make this huge of a mistake. The executives and accountants and purchasers and beancounters at Chrylser should all be fired if this is what comes through.

update: the quest for 2007 don't look so bad now, does it? Looks like the Sedona will be making some huge sales gains.

Edited by regfootball