Hyundai News:Hyundai and Kia Get Served A Class-Action Lawsuit

William Maley

Hyundai and Kia find in themselves in a bit of legal trouble. Last week, the law firm Hagens Berman filed a class-action lawsuit against the Korean automakers over an alleged defect on two engines; the 2.4L four-cylinder and turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder from the Theta II family. 

The defect in question is a flaw in the engine design that “restricts or blocks oil flow to the engine’s moving parts, such as connecting rod bearings, prematurely wearing out those parts to the point that the engine parts seize, which stops engine operation while running. Engine seizure often causes internal parts, such as the connecting rods, to break and knock a hole in the engine, permitting fluids to leak and ignite a fire,” according to the lawsuit. More than 350 complaints have been filed on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) on models equipped with these engines,

• 2011-2019 Hyundai Sonata
  • 2011-2019 Kia Optima
  • 2011-2019 Kia Sportage
  • 2012-2019 Kia Sorento and Soul
  • 2012-2019 Kia Soul
  • 2013-2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • 2013-2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

Bloomberg reports that NHTSA has opened an investigation into the "timeliness and scope of the carmakers’ recalls related to manufacturing errors in “Theta II” engines." Hyundai has issued two recalls in 2015 and 2017 for certain Sonata and Santa Fe models. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York meanwhile has opened a criminal investigation into this issue.

When reached for comment, Hyundai Motor declined to say anything about the lawsuit. In a statement, the company said that “nothing is more important than the safety and security of Hyundai customers,” noting that it is 

cooperating with the U.S. Department of Transportation and the NHTSA.

“Over the past three years, we have held numerous meetings with DOT and NHTSA representatives, and proactively discussed and identified possible safety items for NHTSA’s evaluation, including the engine recalls. NHTSA has been fully briefed and kept apprised of these recalls and low rates of associated non-collision fires,” said Hyundai Motor.

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

There are reasons Hyundai and KIA rank at the bottom of the American automotive universe for me.

Name one car manufacture which didn't have class action suit filed against it or major recall issued?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ykX said:

Name one car manufacture which didn't have class action suit filed against it or major recall issued?

All of them have...I just don't have much trust for Hyundai products.

42 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

lol GM couldn’t even make ignition switches properly and people here say Hyundai is somehow bottom of the barrel...

Yet Hyundai's leaders, after Toyota, VW, GM and the others, with their respective scandals, still did not learn from past history, and decided to screw the consumer anyway...

I wouldnt be laughing at these people here...

In fact, Id invite these people in here to laugh at you in failing to troll them successfully...

Edited by oldshurst442

44 minutes ago, frogger said:

tenor.gif

You just mad because GM is shutting down Oshawa...

Be mad at GM for shutting down Oshawa, but do not confuse the two things here...

Actually, be more mad at Unifor for facilitating GM's decision for Oshawa.

Be mad at Ontario's premier's for not allowing Ontario to be more competitive for factories...

Be mad at North Americans for choosing CUVs and SUVs instead of buying the Impala, Regal and Cadillac XTS...

I think the Equinox was built at Oshawa, so there is that, but then again, be mad at Donald Trump and Justin Trudeau and the present political climate and be mad at Mexico for having its factory workers being paid slave wages and the US having trade deficits (not with Canada though but still...) and all that...

Be mad at GM's decision to put all their eggs in their electric and autonomous basket and because Ontario and Unifor were NEVER kinda fair for GM and its Oshawa plant, this was a long time coming for Oshawa...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Some strong anti GM sentiment here...

Im not surprised. 

GM has brought this upon themselves too...

Starting with, what is good for GM is good for the country.  GM became too big to fail. GM then became complacent and arrogant, much like some Canadian  provincial and federal Premiers and certain American Presidents...and well, you get cutting corners on ignition switches and bailout fallouts and closing factories that really piss off people. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im not surprised. 

GM has brought this upon themselves too...

Starting with, what is good for GM is good for the country.  GM became too big to fail. GM then became complacent and arrogant, much like some Canadian  provincial and federal Premiers and certain American Presidents...and well, you get cutting corners on ignition switches and bailout fallouts and closing factories that really piss off people. 

All I know is what I want to drive....

27 minutes ago, dfelt said:

WOW, No wonder you have to replace your car every year, that mass of prickly steel wears a hole in the seat. 😮 

It explains the burr up his butt when it comes to electric cars.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

You just mad because GM is shutting down Oshawa...

Be mad at GM for shutting down Oshawa, but do not confuse the two things here...

Actually, be more mad at Unifor for facilitating GM's decision for Oshawa.

Be mad at Ontario's premier's for not allowing Ontario to be more competitive for factories...

Be mad at North Americans for choosing CUVs and SUVs instead of buying the Impala, Regal and Cadillac XTS...

I think the Equinox was built at Oshawa, so there is that, but then again, be mad at Donald Trump and Justin Trudeau and the present political climate and be mad at Mexico for having its factory workers being paid slave wages and the US having trade deficits (not with Canada though but still...) and all that...

Be mad at GM's decision to put all their eggs in their electric and autonomous basket and because Ontario and Unifor were NEVER kinda fair for GM and its Oshawa plant, this was a long time coming for Oshawa...

I'm not mad I just thought the gif was good.  I don't have any sentimentality about plants or any of the models or manufacturers in general.   Still lots of manufacturers and vehicles to choose from.

• Agree 1

Given that this is only one set of engines, Hyundai/KIA could simply engineer a new engine without all those issues and start again with a newer models to replace those bad ones. 

Two questions: who was in charge of quality control that allowed this to happen?  Also, who will be held responsible for this mess inside the firm?

54 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Given that this is only one set of engines, Hyundai/KIA could simply engineer a new engine without all those issues and start again with a newer models to replace those bad ones. 

Two questions: who was in charge of quality control that allowed this to happen?  Also, who will be held responsible for this mess inside the firm?

What makes you think their next attempt would be any better than the current one?

5 hours ago, frogger said:

I'm not mad I just thought the gif was good.  I don't have any sentimentality about plants or any of the models or manufacturers in general.   Still lots of manufacturers and vehicles to choose from.

Well...Im mad!!!

Im mad about all those things I mentioned in my post to you!!! 

Im mad at Justin Trudeau for not actually talking to Mary Barra or any GM CEO about this. Im mad at Justin Trudeau AND Doug Ford for just kissing each other on the cheek and agreeing with each other that nothing can be done instead making a BIG stink about it to General Motors AND Donald Trump. ESPECIALLY not making a BIG stink to Donald Trump. If his tyrades were only targeted at the right subjects...

Because you just know, that GM closing 5 plants, 4 in the US, is just GM giving the middle finger to Donald Trump for Donald Trump giving several middle fingers to GM since he became POTUS...

But who pays the price for all these middle fingers?  18 000 North American workers is who!!!

Im mad at North American consumers for neglecting what made North America the envy of the world. Im mad at ourselves for allowing our politicians selling us off to corporate greed way back in the 1980s when we started this trend of overconsumption...

But...with Hyundai...I can see that corporate greed on their end is the same as anywhere else that puts money in front of anything else...

And we got ourselves to blame for that...

We North Americans, we do overconsume. And corporations feed on our voracious appetite.  

Despite all these plant closures, and possibly more to come, we havent learned our lesson from the last economic crisis in 2008-2009...

We continue to overconsume...

What does this have to do with Hyundai?

Well...everything!!!

If we just keep what we got and we demand as consumers better products...and we vote with our pockets, not with our voracious appetite for junk and overconsumption, but with truly well built stuff when we buy, with cash, not credit, and we dont replace every little thing we own every other month...then and only then corporate greed might come to an end...

Also, if we go in the streets and riot once in a while, like the French in Paris just did...maybe just maybe, corporate greedy CEOs, lobbyists and crooked politicians might actually listen to us...

Did we riot in the streets when GM released the news of these plant closures?

Did we riot in the streets when we heard that Hyundai or GM or VW or whatever corporate thief did something bad to our society whether it be ignition switches or the diesel scandal or whatnot?

The French had enough with their governments tax hikes...Makron had no choice to retract...

Edited by oldshurst442

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im mad at North American consumers for neglecting what made North America the envy of the world.

If we just keep what we got and we demand as consumers better products

america is the envy of the world because it has choice and we chose to not buy gm’s crappy cars precisely because consumers do demand better products...

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

america is the envy of the world because it has choice and we chose to not buy gm’s crappy cars precisely because consumers do demand better products...

Yet they buy crappy Hyundais and Toyotas and VWs...

And Mercedes Benzes and Audis (part of VW) and Bimmers...

And Nissans...

To my knowledge, all these car companies all had there share of crappy, non-reliable products. Some of them even killed people with their greedy schemes.

Yeah! Like GM!  

So...

Try again! 

Edited by oldshurst442

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

WOW, No wonder you have to replace your car every year, that mass of prickly steel wears a hole in the seat. 😮 

Not shocked that my point was missed.  THOSE ARE NOT MY KEYS.  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It explains the burr up his butt when it comes to electric cars.

It has to be something else because those are not my keys.  Gee... I wonder what it could be... hmmm...

Edited by ocnblu

20 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

It has to be something else because those are not my keys.  Gee... I wonder what it could be... hmmm...

Looks like a Chevy key with the black head in there...but there a lot of other keys on that chain.    Hmm...maybe all the keys in your pic is a reference to the GM ignition issue? 

I go for minimal with my keys--only one on mine--my house key.  IMG-0766.JPG

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Im mad as hell and Im not gonna take it anymore!!!

you are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. there are no nations. there are no peoples. there are no russians. there are no arabs. there are no third worlds. there is no west. there is only one holistic system of systems; one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting  interwoven, interacting, multi-variate, multi-national dominion of dollars. petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. it is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. that is the natural order of things today. that is the atomic and sub-atomic and galactic structure of things today!

am I getting through to you, mr. oldshurst442? you get out your laptop, or your smartphone, or your tablet, fire up your keyboard fingers, log into this forum board and screech about america and canada and democracy. there is no america. there is no canada. there is no democracy. there is only GM and ford and FCA and VW, BMW, nissan, and toyota. those are the nations of the world today. what do you think the russians talk about in their councils of state - karl marx? they get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. we no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, mr. oldshurst442. the world is a collage of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable by-laws of business. the world is a business, mr. oldshurst442; it has been since man crawled out of the slime. and our children will live, mr. oldshurst442, to see that perfect world in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality - one vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock - all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused...

4 minutes ago, Blake Noble said:

you are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. there are no nations. there are no peoples. there are no russians. there are no arabs. there are no third worlds. there is no west. there is only one holistic system of systems; one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting  interwoven, interacting, multi-variate, multi-national dominion of dollars. petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. it is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. that is the natural order of things today. that is the atomic and sub-atomic and galactic structure of things today!

am I getting through to you, mr. oldshurst442? you get out your laptop, or your smartphone, or your tablet, fire up your keyboard fingers, log into this forum board and screech about america and canada and democracy. there is no america. there is no canada. there is no democracy. there is only GM and ford and FCA and VW, BMW, nissan, and toyota. those are the nations of the world today. what do you think the russians talk about in their councils of state - karl marx? they get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. we no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, mr. oldshurst442. the world is a collage of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable by-laws of business. the world is a business, mr. oldshurst442; it has been since man crawled out of the slime. and our children will live, mr. oldshurst442, to see that perfect world in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality - one vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock - all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused...

Funny!!!

Your rant starts with this song 

Since I was born they couldn't hold me down
Another misfit kid, another burned-out town
I never played by the rules, I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere
I look and see it's not only me
So many others have stood where I stand
We are the young, so raise your hands
They call us problem child
We spend our lives on trial
We walk an endless mile
We are the youth gone wild
We stand and we won't fall
We're one and one for all
The writing's on the wall
We are the youth gone wild
Boss screamin' in my ear about who I'm supposed to be
Getcha a 3-piece wall street smile and son you'll look just like me
I said "hi man, there's something that you oughta know I'll tell ya Park Avenue leads to 
Skid Row

Then it leads to this song!!!

We're right, We're free, We'll fight, you'll see!!!

Welcome to C and G folks...reality is apparently irrelevant here.

39 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Something in the drinking water in Pennsylvania. Perhaps?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You got that backwards.

Actually I agree.

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Reality is complex. 

You seem to have no issues with it.

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yet they buy crappy Hyundais and Toyotas and VWs...

And Mercedes Benzes and Audis (part of VW) and Bimmers...

And Nissans...

To my knowledge, all these car companies all had there share of crappy, non-reliable products. Some of them even killed people with their greedy schemes.

Yeah! Like GM!  

So...

Try again! 

deaths caused by gm's ignition switches: 124

deaths caused by hyundai's engines: 0

hmmmm.... 

Edited by Blake Noble

17 minutes ago, Blake Noble said:

hmmmm.... 

I am an equal oportunity asshole...I can avoid GM and Hyundai both...

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Oh I have stories but I won't tell them.

What happens in Lancaster stays in Lancaster....does not have the same ring as Vegas. 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Blake Noble said:

hmmmm.... 

Death caused by Toyota/Lexus unintended acceleration  sticky pedals/wrong floor mats...

hmmmm....

I guess things went over your head too?

Oh well, you cant win them all...

Edited by oldshurst442

11 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

i guess GM ignition recalls are a non-starter here...

Funny!!!

Here is another song for that...

Maybe Mr Blake could actually see the humour in the previous songs I chose for his rant as well...seeing that he accuses me of the joke going over my head, but apparently he doesnt see the parallels in the lyrics of  both hair metal songs that coincide with his ranting/joking to me...   

21 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Funny!!!

Here is another song for that...

Maybe Mr Blake could actually see the humour in the previous songs I chose for his rant as well...seeing that he accuses me of the joke going over my head, but apparently he doesnt see the parallels in the lyrics of  both hair metal songs that coincide with his ranting/joking to me...   

how much pot do you have to smoke, how much acid do you have to drop, and how many mushrooms do you have to eat before "network" syncs up with twisted sister?

you might want to check into your local emergency room

Death caused by Toyota/Lexus unintended acceleration  sticky pedals/wrong floor mats...

hmmmm....

I guess things went over your head too?

Oh well, you cant win them all...

lol is that really apples to oranges?

deaths (out of the 124 total) caused by driver error in gm ignition switch recall: 0

deaths caused by driver error in toyota's unintended acceleration issue almost ten years ago: probably all of them 

10 minutes ago, Blake Noble said:

how much pot do you have to smoke, how much acid do you have to drop, and how many mushrooms do you have to eat before "network" syncs up with twisted sister?

you might want to check into your local emergency room

The only smoke is coming off the rear wheels of the Trans Am in his sig line. He is that goofy naturally without chemical enhancement. 

11 minutes ago, Blake Noble said:

lol is that really apples to oranges?

deaths (out of the 124 total) caused by driver error in gm ignition switch recall: 0

deaths caused by driver error in toyota's unintended acceleration issue almost ten years ago: probably all of them 

HA!
Those were not driver error...
But yeah...
whatever.
Listen Blake Lively...
I already got into trouble with you last year or so, my posts got deleted  because you were trolliing, the same way you are now...
You told me you were a journalist and I insulted you to the point where Drew erased my posts, gave me warnings...

You are here to seek revenge because I made you look like an idiot the last time...

Drew cares more to protect his posse than actually weed out the shyte that people like you spew...

Im probably going to get another warning and this post is gonna get erased...
But in short

Image result for Fuck off

If you cant see some parallels with the lyrics of both songs from Twisted sister and Skid Row made in jest to you, then I cant help your that you just may have a stick up your ass!  

Then to boot, you insult me...
You call me a druggie...lkike why?   What the phoque is your problem?

I was banned the last time I was here about 9 Months ago, for far less than what you just did....that is why I stopped posting...
Now...its easy for me to stop coming in  here, and you and your posse could rule this kingdom free from me...

9 minutes ago, Intrepidation said:

i liek where this thread is going.jpg

Ask your phoquing buddy...

Edited by oldshurst442

22 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

lol GM couldn’t even make ignition switches properly and people here say Hyundai is somehow bottom of the barrel...

Still dazed and confused at they reasons why the ignition switch thing ever occurred. It was proven that the inclusion of billions of keys and a bunch of bullsh!t on the the key ring was what led to the issue.. I guess in truth GM should have tested their ignition switches to a point that the device could have held the weight of an 3 month old before they released the vehicles. But that's pretty much a moot point.. as they fixed the issue a decade ago and went a step further in equipping a great deal of their line-up with key-less ignition..

GO FAP 😂 on that. Preferably with the door locked and a box of Kleenex ready and waiting

• Thanks 3