Chevrolet News:Camaro to Die - Again

Rumors coming out of Detroit are saying that the 7th generation Camaro development has been shelved, citing multiple sources from within General Motors, MusclecarsandTrucks.com reports. The current model will likely run until 2023 and then the nameplate will go back into the dustbin for the second time. 

The current car is based on the Alpha platform, the bases for the now canceled Cadillac ATS and CTS.  Their replacements, the Cadillac CT4 and Cadillac CT5 use a second generation of that platform called Alpha 2. The sources say that the Camaro will not move to the new Alpha platform. 

If the rumor is true, this will be the second time the Camaro has been canceled.  The last of the 4th generation, then known as F-Bodies, finished their run in 2002. Chevrolet revived the Camaro for a 5th generation using a cut down version of the Australian Zeta sedan platform. The current 6th generation car came out as a 2016 model and was lighter and slimmer than the 5th generation car.  The Camaro only sold 50,963 copies for 2018, a substantial drop from the 84,391 sold in 2012. 

View full article

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Rumors....

This is the second time the Camaro has been canceled.

IMHO, this should be reworded. ‘Rumor’ vs “has been”.

Things change in months-time, and this rumor mentions ‘3 years’.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe the Camaro will be reborn as an EV coupe CUV with styling cues from the 4th gen. 

I just threw up in my mouth a bit. 

Not or sure how reliable this information but it would not surprise given all the CUV news from GM it would not surprise me. Just a sad state of affairs. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not or sure how reliable this information but it would not surprise given all the CUV news from GM it would not surprise me. Just a sad state of affairs. 

I know the journalist who is originally reporting this... I only put it up because I felt it was reliable. 

• Thanks 1

The story is all over the usual automotive press and blog pages on the FB now...maybe GM is intentionally leaking this 3 years early to try and spur lagging sales.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I know the journalist who is originally reporting this... I only put it up because I felt it was reliable. 

Oh I’m not trying to discredit it so sorry if I came off that way. It really is anyone’s guess. Hell, a few months ago we were led to believe that the CT6 was dead in the water and not it’s not. Guess we will see when the time comes. 

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Good grief. Sorry for the drunk looking post. Too many grammatical errors for me to deal with lol. I’m not sure what exactly happened there. 

18 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Oh I’m not trying to discredit it so sorry if I came off that way. It really is anyone’s guess. Hell, a few months ago we were led to believe that the CT6 was dead in the water and not it’s not. Guess we will see when the time comes. 

Good grief. Sorry for the drunk looking post. Too many grammatical errors for me to deal with lol. I’m not sure what exactly happened there. 

It was that Scorpion Tequila you are drinking pool side for rehab! :P 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

People don’t want performance crossovers tho.

And yet Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley and AMG have them, and Ferrari is coming.  No one buys the Alfa Romeo or Maserati crossovers, but no one buys from those brands anyway.  Ford wouldn't do Edge ST and Explorer ST if they didn't think they could sell them.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Barra strikes again

Well it makes more financial sense for Chevy to introduce a crossover in between the Equinox and Blazer than to do a new Camaro, because then they can do a GMC clone of it too.  Sadly the people just want more crossovers.  I think this crossover craze sucks, but the tribe has spoken.

Edited by smk4565

Well when everything Barra builds will be autonomous/EV, and those two traits are the very antithesis of the Camaro spirit, I am not surprised in the least.  She is poison.  Absolutely.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well when everything Barra builds will be autonomous/EV, and those two traits are the very antithesis of the Camaro spirit, I am not surprised in the least.  She is poison.  Absolutely.

Poison to enthusiasts maybe, but not to shareholders who only care about GM's bottom line and the dividend payout.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Poison to enthusiasts maybe, but not to shareholders who only care about GM's bottom line and the dividend payout.

Sad but very true.

If the Camaro is going to be discontinued in three years, I am sorry for it to go.  Then again, the new Camaro (if there is one) needs a better stylist and some more glass since the current one looks like somebody could become claustrophobic once inside.

• Agree 1

What if the 7th gen would have been styled by the Silverado HD stylist?  Give it some big truck touches like huge mirrors, large windows, etc.  We will never know what could have been... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

You think, by chance, that Porsche shareholders got out their pitchforks and torches when VW announced a Porsche SUV was coming? And burned all their stock certificates? What shareholder DOESN'T care about the company's bottom line?

Wait- that would be Tesla's.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

People don’t want performance crossovers tho.

I do, I would love an updated Trailblazer AWD SS. There is a Desire for roomy performance SUV's, I would totally disagree with you. Look at the solid sales of the Trackhawk.

It’s not really rumor....betting more “confirmed”. I’ll be sad to see the name go, but not the car. It has no personality. At least a certain LX car can still get things done for those of us who still care about cars...

Barra wasn’t joking about the move to EV an self driving. It’s why the shareholders can still get a hard on about it. The Camaro just happened to be the first victim. You will see the Ax start dropping elsewhere in the near future. Normally I would say that GM is totally stupid on this-but the upcoming sheep don’t want personalities, they just want more time with the phone.......

I’m not even so sure about the Mustang either...Ford is but inches away from doing some major cost cutting themselves, and I promise you it won’t be the trucks cut...

At least for now we have the Vette...granted if we could afford one. 😞 . I can only hope we can have some fun to drive EVs...Heck- I’m less concerned about the EVs and more worried about being forced to gear self driving objects..

Dammit, I just want to enjoy good cars!!

It’s sh*it like this that makes me want the Equinox being the last GM car I ever own....I hope they can get me to change my mind.......

A few train of thoughts:

- Maybe it's all a ruse... Just like the ATS was supposed to go away with the CT5 replacing CTS and ATS... Then all of sudden, a surprise announcement for the CT4. (too similar to the CT5, but whatever...)

- GM is doing this to themselves. When they don't get the styling or quality right and sales sag - they blame the customers, and not themselves.  The belt line is ridiculous on this car - very hard to see out of and makes it not pleasant to drive on a daily basis.  The styling has gotten considerably more squinty and quite frankly ugly. They are doing the same thing with the Impala - they let it sit on the vine for years without updating it while the competition got tougher, and then blame sagging sales on customers wanting SUVs.

- Why then did they make such a big deal about the Blazer having "Camaro styling cues" - if the Camaro is so bad for sales, then I don't know why they would borrow cues from it and slap it on an SUV. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it were re-born as yet another styling exercise 5 passenger SUV... *yawn* has the market been saturated with these enough already??

- As for EVs... Go ahead and do it - they will be surprised when they've dumped all this capital into these models and they only sell sub 100k quantities. This will be a disaster. This is America, and people like to drive without having to stop for 8 hours to charge up. For some reason, product planners at the auto companies (and investors) are thinking everyone lives in LA or NYC. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, texas99alpha said:

A few train of thoughts:

- Maybe it's all a ruse... Just like the ATS was supposed to go away with the CT5 replacing CTS and ATS... Then all of sudden, a surprise announcement for the CT4. (too similar to the CT5, but whatever...)

- GM is doing this to themselves. When they don't get the styling or quality right and sales sag - they blame the customers, and not themselves.  The belt line is ridiculous on this car - very hard to see out of and makes it not pleasant to drive on a daily basis.  The styling has gotten considerably more squinty and quite frankly ugly. They are doing the same thing with the Impala - they let it sit on the vine for years without updating it while the competition got tougher, and then blame sagging sales on customers wanting SUVs.

- Why then did they make such a big deal about the Blazer having "Camaro styling cues" - if the Camaro is so bad for sales, then I don't know why they would borrow cues from it and slap it on an SUV. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it were re-born as yet another styling exercise 5 passenger SUV... *yawn* has the market been saturated with these enough already??

- As for EVs... Go ahead and do it - they will be surprised when they've dumped all this capital into these models and they only sell sub 100k quantities. This will be a disaster. This is America, and people like to drive without having to stop for 8 hours to charge up. For some reason, product planners at the auto companies (and investors) are thinking everyone lives in LA or NYC. 

All true, except for the EV charging issue.  There are a LOT of engineers working on making those batteries (and hence EVs) charge faster than 8 hours.  When charging gets down to 8 minutes or less, EVs will sell like hotcakes.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

All true, except for the EV charging issue.  There are a LOT of engineers working on making those batteries (and hence EVs) charge faster than 8 hours.  When charging gets down to 8 minutes or less, EVs will sell like hotcakes.

Right!

I am so tired of those that consistently point out the long battery charge times, not like ICE in the early 1900's when you borrowed a milk can from the farmer and walked to a gas station to get gas cause you ran out. This is the early stage of EVs and we have the tech coming as I posted before and will post again here. We have battery tech that gives 6 min and 12 min full recharges. 200 miles in 6 min or 400 miles in 12 min. What is slow about that?

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

50+K is more than the XT5. GM needs to figure out how to make money on cars that don;t sell in the hundreds of thousands or they are going to have a problem going forward Camaro or no Camaro..

• Agree 1

I'm surprised GM would do this, they will need a RWD performance sports coupe for when the C7 goes away....(I suspect the C8 is going to be a total dud in the market, they will have to do something). 

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

MB is getting rid of the slow selling SLC, right? Or SLK, whatever the fck it's called... The small sh!tty convertible. 

Exactly my point. Not dismissing the statement about GM because it’s true, for the most part, but history has shown that all of them have done it at one time or another and continue to do it today. 

• Agree 2

…they blame the customers not themselves.

Yet in this very thread we see the customers (John Q and the auto rags) IMMEDIATELY jump to the conclusion the Camaro is permanently cancelled, just like they did with the CT6. That jump is all on the customer.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Well, something came out today that it is a "delay" or "pushed back" and not canceled. 

Are ya talking about this?

https://www.donlen.com/production-cars-gm.html

https://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-gm.html

🤔

Interesting that the Camaro has build and engineering restrictions for the 2020 model

So yes DELAYED TILL FURTHER NOTICE, when in reality, if they fixed the bunker look, opened up the green house and gave it a decent face, it would sell just fine.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/report-there-will-be-no-seventh-generation-chevrolet-camaro/

They just need to stop making yearly or biyearly changes(Ford as well). Let costs get amortized out and actually have the cars paid off so you have a lesser cost per vehicle and you could charge less and get more people into them again. Nearly 35k for a Mustang GT/Camaro SS...sucks. 

They don't need to barely one-up each other every other year. They're fantastic cars already. Let them "mature" a bit and just do basic paint and wheel changes every year and then some tweaks where necessary..NECESSARY(faulty design, bad hardware, etc.). Instead of 3 year mid-cycle refresh, that should be 5 years and 10 for a clean sheet design.

Edited by ccap41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

They just need to stop making yearly or biyearly changes(Ford as well). Let costs get amortized out and actually have the cars paid off so you have a lesser cost per vehicle and you could charge less and get more people into them again. Nearly 35k for a Mustang GT/Camaro SS...sucks. 

They don't need to barely one-up each other every other year. They're fantastic cars already. Let them "mature" a bit and just do basic paint and wheel changes every year and then some tweaks where necessary..NECESSARY(faulty design, bad hardware, etc.). Instead of 3 year mid-cycle refresh, that should be 5 years and 10 for a clean sheet design.

10 years is way too long. Nissan has basically done that with the Z am I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw one and I wouldn’t know the difference between a 2019 370Z and a 2009 370Z. I get what you’re saying but no car goes that long (if they want to survive anyway). Maybe a 4 year mid cycle refresh and 7 years (tops) for a clean sheet IMO. The pricing has gotten insane as well but that can be said for virtually every car and truck on the road today. 

• Agree 2