Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes Unveils The First All-Electric Luxury Van

Following the Concept EQV at the Geneva Auto Show back in March, Mercedes-Benz has pulled the wraps off the production version ahead of the Frankfurt Auto Show coming up in September. 

The Mercedes says that the EQV will have a range of about 250 miles and rapid charging from 10 percent to 80 percent of the 100 kWh battery in less than one hour. Interior space is not compromised as the battery is stored under the floor of the vehicle.  Drivers can control the recuperation levels with paddles behind the steering wheel, with the strongest setting being akin to braking allowing single pedal operation. The drive unit is a 204 horsepower / 267 lb-ft of torque motor that drives the front wheels. Top speed is said to be 99 mph. 

Passengers can expect a lounge like interior with EQ specific décor and the MBUX infotainment system. Two wheelbases will be available. 

Sales in the US are an unknown at this time, but with the threat of tariffs looming, we highly doubt it. The only EV that Daimler offered in the US is the Smart Fourtwo, but that model and brand will be departing the US for China after 2019.  

View full article

Very cool as I see plenty of use for this in inner city deliveries.

My only WTF is the placement of the battery recharge port, drivers side corner of bumper. 

Nissan is in the front of the auto. GM just in front of the drivers door. To me this makes much more logical sense to see it and unplug.

For the bulk of people, I see no reason to not use the gas filler spot from ICE auto's.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

This would be a great city delivery vehicle or even a family hauler.  250 miles of range (which is probably a Euro number and might be more like 200 miles in heat or winter)  is plenty for daily use of hauling kids around.  Lots of potential uses for this, and they could possibly build them in South Carolina at the Sprinter factory.  I imagine the Chinese market will be huge as they crack down on ICE vehicles.

Only thing is front drive 204 hp?  Would be nice to see a dual motor 450 hp version to be the Tesla of mini-vans.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

My only WTF is the placement of the battery recharge port, drivers side corner of bumper. 

Nissan is in the front of the auto. GM just in front of the drivers door. To me this makes much more logical sense to see it and unplug.

For the bulk of people, I see no reason to not use the gas filler spot from ICE auto's.

The placement of the plug in the front or near the front is actually a good idea.  It reduces confusion for most people, given that most ICE autos have the gas tank filler spot on the rear quarter (either left or right).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

This is the perfect use of EV tech (although a little more range would nice considering the primary use of these).

Not sure how this is funny to some folks other than to just troll as usual. Ever the pessimist they are I guess. 

• Agree 1

When we went to Italy couple years ago we took together with our friends a transfer service from Rome to a town on the Amalfi Coast.  It was in the ICE version of this van, which i have to say was very nice and comfortable.   The distance was about 160miles, almost 3.5 hours.  This EV version theoretically could make same trip easily, than charge couple hours and do it again. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, frogger said:

Stop escalating everything into personal attacks

No escalation. Someone decided the first two posts were funny via the emoji button and I made a statement to that fact. I won’t apologize for someone else’s constant trolling. 

Edited by surreal1272

19 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yeah, seems like an odd spot for it.  There is no standard for where chargers sit relative to vehicles, unlike gas pumps which an ICE vehicle pulls up beside...vehicles can be beside, in front of, or behind a charger...as long as the power hose is long enough to reach, the port can be most anywhere... this van appears to be related to the Metris, so an electric delivery van for Amazon, etc would make a lot of sense in parts of the US. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

An Odyessey starts at $30K; for mercedes' 2nd foray into minivans, this had better be price-competitive if it expects to gain a foothold in the family shuttle segment. 

Odyssey that will be at least somehow compatible in features to MB will be close or most likely over $40k

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

An Odyessey starts at $30K; for mercedes' 2nd foray into minivans, this had better be price-competitive if it expects to gain a foothold in the family shuttle segment. 

This isn't a family hauler... this is more Airport Shuttle / Hotel Shuttle. One hour recharge to 80% is good for these. 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

I am sure the Koolaid drinking MB faithful will not think twice about the uber luxury EV Minivan from MB. :P  ;)

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

I am sure the Koolaid drinking MB faithful will not think twice about the uber luxury EV Minivan from MB. :P  ;)

I am surprised they haven't marketed a Vito or Metris family luxury minivan in the US before...I'm sure there are people that would buy one for the badge alone... 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I am surprised they haven't marketed a Vito or Metris family luxury minivan in the US before...I'm sure there are people that would buy one for the badge alone... 

They tried that with the R-Class and it fall down go boom. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

[Reacting to the comment 'you could haul kids around'] An EV MB minivan is going to start more like $80K (the 2012 R-350 was $52K). You could buy 2 Odysseys and get vehicles that don't look like they require commercial plates.

A Metris is priced like an Odyssey, this won’t cost double.  And it is more of a commercial unit than a family vehicle but of course it can do both.  Also the Odyssey isn’t electric.   So this wins in operating costs and if China bans ICE engines then the Odyssey isn’t even an option.

• Agree 1

This is a step one for a really perfect ride sharing vehicle.  If they can make an autonomous version then Uber’s and Lyft’s business model makes sense and you can have self driving electric vans shuttling people around for 6 hours, come in for a recharge and quick clean then it goes back out for 6 hours.

Uber and Lyft won’t make money until they get rid of a driver and if you are getting driven in a robo taxi then a van is a lot better option than a compact sedan.

17 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

A Metris is priced like an Odyssey, this won’t cost double.  And it is more of a commercial unit than a family vehicle but of course it can do both.  Also the Odyssey isn’t electric.   So this wins in operating costs and if China bans ICE engines then the Odyssey isn’t even an option.

It's still a Mercedes. It will never beat a Honda on operating costs no matter what powers either vehicle. 

13 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

This is a step one for a really perfect ride sharing vehicle.

The Bolt has already been out for a few years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

This is a step one for a really perfect ride sharing vehicle.  If they can make an autonomous version then Uber’s and Lyft’s business model makes sense and you can have self driving electric vans shuttling people around for 6 hours, come in for a recharge and quick clean then it goes back out for 6 hours.

Uber and Lyft won’t make money until they get rid of a driver and if you are getting driven in a robo taxi then a van is a lot better option than a compact sedan.

Do we really want Johnny Cab Robo Taxi's running around the city?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's still a Mercedes. It will never beat a Honda on operating costs no matter what powers either vehicle. 

The Bolt has already been out for a few years. 

I love the BOLT, but am very disappointed in GM lack of offering diverse interiors on that auto especially with the number of customers saying they did not like the Black and White dash that is default for all the black, grey or black n grey interiors. They should have offered better colors and interior options from the begining.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Already have them here. 

I thought the BOLTs running around San Francisco still had a human in them? Or are you talking someplace else?

40 minutes ago, balthazar said:

A metris is IC; EVs are usually a $20K premium over IC TO START.

Plus, I don't see daimler pricing it UNDER a 8-yr older r-class if they're going to pitch it at families.  

Why are you pushing the family narrative? This is clearly for the commercial market even though they will probably have a few on the lot as “family haulers” but that would seem to be a very much niche market given the soft sales of family minivans to begin with. 

Edited by surreal1272

28 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Why are you pushing the family narrative? This is clearly for the commercial market even though they will probably have a few on the lot as “family haulers” but that would seem to be a very much niche market given the soft sales of family minivans to begin with. 

Actually, in some markets families do use MPVs/minivans instead of CUVs.   Some of the M-B promotional videos show families (albeit likely German ones) using the EQV...many different use cases are possible for such a vehicle.   I could see a spacious electric minivan as an alternative to M-B's other family vehicles like the GLE or GLS.

Edited by Robert Hall

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Because smk mentioned it. Plus; compare the interior of this to the plastic hell interior of the sprinter. I think smk’s offhand comment is correct.

Well you know that’s not a very reliable source lol. It’s insane to think that this will have families in mind when they price it. There are better and cheaper options when it comes to minivans. 

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Because smk mentioned it. Plus; compare the interior of this to the plastic hell interior of the sprinter. I think smk’s offhand comment is correct.

A van has about 100 uses, that is the benefit of a van. 

The EQ C is $70k and that is a 400 hp luxury SUV, I bet they can make an EV van for $50k starting price.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

The EQ C is $70k and that is a 400 hp luxury SUV, I bet they can make an EV van for $50k starting price.

• A van has 2 uses; transport 1 / a couple people, and transport stuff. It’s not cool/doesn't look good, doesn't impress anyone and doesn't drive/handle/accelerate well.

• EQC is 90% a GLC, which starts at $43K. Daimler electrified it and jacked the price to a (projected) $70,000. As is typical of all BEVs. The electrified cargo/ occasional family hauler is going to be madlymore expensive that the rest of the minivan segment. If it was going to be cheap they would've put the hard plastic from the sprinter in there.

• A eqc is far less capable of doing either of the 2 things a sprinter can do, so it should start well below the circa $38K the sprinter is. It won’t tho.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

You know what is the one use a van doesn’t have anymore? As a mode of transportation for the majority of families out there. Please reference those sagging minivan sales brought up earlier. This has commercial intentions, plain and simple. 

• Agree 1

When we have autonomous vehicles with no steering wheel or pedals, people won't care about ride/handling or any of that.  All they will care about is space, in which a box gives the most space and comfort.  This is a commercial van now, but this application could be in wide use in 10 years.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

When we have autonomous vehicles with no steering wheel or pedals, people won't care about ride/handling or any of that.  All they will care about is space, in which a box gives the most space and comfort.  This is a commercial van now, but this application could be in wide use in 10 years.

IOW, a bus with no bus driver.

20 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Bolt is small.  You can’t really put 4 adults and luggage in a Bolt or 6 adults if really upping the ride share count.

You're getting pretty specific there and I would wager those rides are a much smaller percentage than 1 or 2 people. 

It isn't actually small. It just isn't van-large. 

• Agree 1

Most of my ride-share rides have been done in vehicle the Bolt would be equal or larger than. I've only rode with more than 2 people twice in which we needed 5 or 6 seats. 

Yeah, the Bolt can't cover the complete spectrum of Uber or Lyft "packages" but the entry price compared to an EV Mercedes is probably only 2/3 the price or less. I think it is safe to assume it would pay itself off quicker than the Mercedes even if you can't "Uber Black". 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You're getting pretty specific there and I would wager those rides are a much smaller percentage than 1 or 2 people. 

It isn't actually small. It just isn't van-large. 

So true, the average is 1 to 2 people per Bolt, Lyft, Uber ride. The number of large rides is usually covered by a van type of service.

Some interesting info on Lyft.

https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/lyft-statistics/

https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/uber-statistics/

44 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Mercedes has an electric hatchback coming also, that is probably still bigger than a Bolt.  But I am not sure small hatchback is what the market wants when the Tesla Model 3 outsells the Bolt by a wide margin.

#1 complaint about the Bolt is the interior. People point to the dash color and the interior seat / over all color choices. Clearly it sells as one of the best EV's, but GM is NOT listening to the buyers who would buy if there were better colors available.

21 minutes ago, dfelt said:

#1 complaint about the Bolt is the interior. People point to the dash color and the interior seat / over all color choices. Clearly it sells as one of the best EV's, but GM is NOT listening to the buyers who would buy if there were better colors available.

They(All EV-producing companies except Tesla) need to stop with trying to make their EVs quirky and weird. Make the interior "normal" and that becomes a non-issue. 

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The Bolt is just awkwardly shaped. If they made it more car OR more CUV I think it would sell much better. But, as a theoretical ride-share vehicle, I think the looks of it are irrelevant and it would do perfect there. 

The Bolt is also smaller than a Trax.  If the Bolt were Equinox sized it would sell better.

It's shorter but it doesn't have an engine up front nor room for a driveshaft down the middle. The Bolt has more passenger interior volume. 

43 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Bolt is also smaller than a Trax.  If the Bolt were Equinox sized it would sell better.

I do agree it would do better as a compact CUV instead of a subcompact. We all have been saying that for a long time now...

• Like 1