• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where'd they get this stuff from? That looks nothing like the SS concept front, at all. If anything, that grille looks more like the SEMA widebody Cobalt or the SEMA MAXX cross country from a couple of years ago.

I'm honestly not a big fan of that grille setup, but that roofline and greenhouse looks to be pure hotness :thumbsup:

Looks quite good, but how D-U-M-B can you be to think that would be the new Impala (a car itself that was just fully redesigned last year). Even the slightest bit of common sense would say it's the Malibu.

But then again, it seems like any "professional" car site gets a pic of a suspected GM car, they ALWAYS think it's a Zeta of some kind...obviously a bit over anxious for their arrival.

Well, the front end is very reminiscent of the 2003 SS concept, the wheelbase is longer, the rear looks nice and the body looks sleek-I'm excited! That's what we call GETTING THERE!

To me, this is an excellent example of how black squiggly camouflage placed in all the right places can hide details of a white exterior. :lol: The front is wthout question Chevy, but the side reminds me of the Aura, and, from the angle and what little is revealed, the rear makes me think of the Lucerne. Even with so little concrete, better than the present Malibu IMHO. I've always liked those chrome five-star wheels.

Edited by wildcat

Malibu? Yes. And it looks good. It looks like it will have four round taillamps too. The wheelbase looks longer, perhaps it will share a wheelbase with the G6 next time around... hey, and look at that high beltline... Chrysler started something there!

I like it. It looks like the 2008 Malibu will be a genuine replacement for the current Malibu & W-platform Impala. Perhaps Chevrolet won't need a FWD Caprice afterall to fill the void left by the Impala going RWD?

Between these spy photos and the image Evok provided, I think the next Malbu has a strong chance to pull in more retail sales than the current duo.

Chrysler starts a lot of trends. 8)

Shouldn't this car be the Epsilon II model anyway?

It's more than likely that prototypes should/could be emerging two years before official public production.

It's a shame the Maxx is dying.  Perhaps a true wagon will emerge next round.

I thought that Chevy said no to another wagon/wagon-ish Malibu. Could be wrong here.

That car looks awfully big to be a Malibu, that's a genuine full size car there, look at how long the doors are! It looks like a BWM 7 in size to my eyes at least. And I didn't figure GM to adjust the Malibu wheelbase until the platform change in a few years yet, so if it's a malibu, it looks awfully big to me. But then again, it's way too early to see NG impala cars in that level of finish...

CD/BP: Chris, thank you for finding this and posting it. But help me to understand something - how did they get shots of this? I realize cameras and telephoto lenses can be sophisticated, but the specific wording of the article (shown below, emphasis added by me) made me wonder...

" . . . We snapped this minimally disguised prototype traversing a distant road deep within one of GM's U.S. Proving Grounds. The great distance between car and camera has made the checkerboard camouflage tape a little more effective, obscuring some of this prototype's more minute details . . ."

Is that writing to add to the drama? They make it sound like they're on private property. Are they? Surely GM can tell from the angle and position where these shots were taken, right? And, while I really enjoy seeing spy pics like these, why can't GM build a wall around this particular proving ground to keep people out? Or purchase additional property surrounding it, to keep cameras even further away?

That car looks awfully big to be a Malibu, that's a genuine full size car there, look at how long the doors are!  It looks like a BWM 7 in size to my eyes at least.  And I didn't figure GM to adjust the Malibu wheelbase until the platform change in a few years yet, so if it's a malibu, it looks awfully big to me.  But then again, it's way too early to see NG impala cars in that level of finish...

If you look at the doors on the new Camry, it is possible for this to be a mid-size. I think part of the reason they look so huge is that they ride high up (the windows are not so tall).

Guest Josh

I like how Doane is a spy photographer yet all of a sudden (well for the past 5 months anyway) in the "know" on every vehicle program from every manufacturer. Interesting, isnt it?

That being said, I saw pictures today of the Holden LWB VE Commodore and this looks to be a dead ringer of the images I saw of the Zeta Commodore.

My "take" (and it is just that).......It's something RWD but it aint a Chevy.

Guest Josh

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at the side "vents" in the top picture, and look at the location of the side "vents" in the bottom picture.

It's RWD.

Edited by Josh

Guest Josh

It's this cars front end....

Posted Image

With the sedans rear. The antenna placement says it all.

Captain Chris is wrong again.

Edited by Josh

CD/BP: Thank you for the reply. Your answer helps me imagine the circumstances of the photo.

Josh: You seem to be implying that the white car in the spy photo could be a ____? NG Impala? Or a Buick? (Maybe the latter is what I would like it to be. ^_^ ) But those look like round taillights, as ocnblu observed, so that's Chevrolet design language. The white car looks much more "contemporary" to me. Less traditional, less conservative, less stodgy, however you want to say.

Edited by wildcat

It's this cars front end....

Posted Image

With the sedans rear. The antenna placement says it all.

Captain Chris is wrong again.

What really says it all is the distance between front wheel well and front door. The white car is FWD. Though I must say, the styling shares many cues with the new Holdens.

"Captain Chris" is right.

Guest Josh

There were two different RWD programs going on with different wheelbases, length, etc for the entire duration of the project. GMNA and Holdens Zeta team.

Time will tell.

There were two different RWD programs going on with different wheelbases, length, etc for the entire duration of the project. GMNA and Holdens Zeta team.

Time will tell.

No time needed, any retard can tell that these aren't the same cars.

No it's really just a big damn lens and standing on a public road. I know exactly where they shot it from. They *do* have walls and lots of trees....but there are still spots. GM can't really buy more property without buying up people's homes. The proving grounds are bordered on all sides by public roads.

:lol::rolleyes:

Hah, you go to all the trouble of buying some big piece of land miles from anyone and next thing you know there are houses all around it. Of courser it's also been suggested there are certain spots they drive past when they're ready to be seen. One wonders if they have someone watching to make sure there is a photographer at the time.

Wow, it looks really good and really big for a Malibu. I'm getting a Phaeton/Flying Spur vibe, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It looks awfully wide for an Epsilon, too.

Are we sure this isn't an Epsilon II? Is GM developing any other FWD platforms we don't know of?

Guest Josh

Seems to be a little hostility in this thread.  Hmm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it's because I'm retarted, however Pizza boy won't be able to support his new......nevermind. I will stay classy and not go trashy.

I guess it's because I'm retarted, however Pizza boy won't be able to support his new......nevermind. I will stay classy and not go trashy.

I think the belt buckle and John Deer hat prevent you from being "classy"

Seems to be a little hostility in this thread.  Hmm.

No hostility, just a lack of diplomacy and respect.

As for the alleged Impala, no self-respecting rwd sedan has it's front wheels so close to the leading edge of the door. Chris is right again, this is the 2008 Malibu, sharing the longer wheelbase of the Aura and G6 (BTW, longer than the latest generation W-bodies' and the late LeSabre).

Another couple of questions, out of curiousity. How many vehicles are on these roads of the proving grounds at any one time? How long of a time period do they spend on those roads, before they move to public streets? How many miles of roads are we talking about within the GM compound?

P.S. - Whatever happened to that, I think it was a hired security guard, who took pictures of the GMT-900s with a cell phone then leaked them? Was he prosecuted?

Okay children. Stop bickering and get back on topic.

I'm having a tough time with this one trying to figure out what platform this could be on. I'd need to see more photos to make sure.

I'm kind of surprised that we would see an Impala prototype before the new Malibu so I'm more inclined to believe that this is the next generation 'bu on the Ep II platform.

We all know the Epsilon II platform is growing in size so that might explain why this seems too large for a Malibu.

I don't know.. this is really difficult. I'll be losing a lot of sleep over it. I'm sure.

Whatever it is, it looks really attractive and refined for a Chevy and I applaud GM for really putting an effort into it's bread and butter sedans for once.

Not only does it look good but it looks unique, especially with it's giant Chevy crossbar.

One thing's for sure, people won't be mistaking this for an Accord or a Camry on the road.

Edited by Cadillacfan

No hostility, just a lack of diplomacy and respect.

As for the alleged Impala, no self-respecting rwd sedan has it's front wheels so close to the leading edge of the door. Chris is right again, this is the 2008 Malibu, sharing the longer wheelbase of the Aura and G6 (BTW, longer than the latest generation W-bodies' and the late LeSabre).

If that's the case, I find this more attractive than the Aura (so far), surprisingly. It's a bit like the new S80. Hopefully the interior won't be a let down.

Malibu?  Yes.  And it looks good.  It looks like it will have four round taillamps too.  The wheelbase looks longer, perhaps it will share a wheelbase with the G6 next time around... hey, and look at that high beltline... Chrysler started something there!

I hate high beltlines. Claustrophobia.

Otherwise, quite a nice looking car. I would drive that. The rear trunk lip and taillamp facade is a bit dated and theirs a bit too much tall mass in front of the front wheels, but if this is where GM is going design wise, I AIN'T BITCHING...I mean, look at the crapibu we have now!

Edited by regfootball