Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Doane

147 posts in this topic

Uh Camry meets Passat?

...meets Aura meets Jetta meets Lucerne?

Where'd they get this stuff from? That looks nothing like the SS concept front, at all. If anything, that grille looks more like the SEMA widebody Cobalt or the SEMA MAXX cross country from a couple of years ago.

I'm honestly not a big fan of that grille setup, but that roofline and greenhouse looks to be pure hotness :thumbsup:

Looks quite good, but how D-U-M-B can you be to think that would be the new Impala (a car itself that was just fully redesigned last year). Even the slightest bit of common sense would say it's the Malibu.

But then again, it seems like any "professional" car site gets a pic of a suspected GM car, they ALWAYS think it's a Zeta of some kind...obviously a bit over anxious for their arrival.

Even from this photo you can tell it's a huge improvement over the current Malibu. Not like that's saying much, though.

Well, the front end is very reminiscent of the 2003 SS concept, the wheelbase is longer, the rear looks nice and the body looks sleek-I'm excited! That's what we call GETTING THERE!

Likin' what I'm seein'-sleeker than the current stubby Malibu...nice! I can't wait to see the interior!

To me, this is an excellent example of how black squiggly camouflage placed in all the right places can hide details of a white exterior. :lol: The front is wthout question Chevy, but the side reminds me of the Aura, and, from the angle and what little is revealed, the rear makes me think of the Lucerne. Even with so little concrete, better than the present Malibu IMHO. I've always liked those chrome five-star wheels.

Edited by wildcat

Malibu? Yes. And it looks good. It looks like it will have four round taillamps too. The wheelbase looks longer, perhaps it will share a wheelbase with the G6 next time around... hey, and look at that high beltline... Chrysler started something there!

I like it. It looks like the 2008 Malibu will be a genuine replacement for the current Malibu & W-platform Impala. Perhaps Chevrolet won't need a FWD Caprice afterall to fill the void left by the Impala going RWD?

Between these spy photos and the image Evok provided, I think the next Malbu has a strong chance to pull in more retail sales than the current duo.

It's a shame the Maxx is dying. Perhaps a true wagon will emerge next round.

It looks OK. Nothing exciting, but nothing offensive, either. This model won't be around for long--the Epsilon II Malibu will start production 3 years after this one.

Looks to have potential, although the camouflage works well to prevent me from seeing major lines.

Chrysler starts a lot of trends. 8)

Shouldn't this car be the Epsilon II model anyway?

It's more than likely that prototypes should/could be emerging two years before official public production.

i like the grill tho im not sure it belongs on this car . . . it looks good to me but well have to see more clearly uncovered to sway me either way

It's a shame the Maxx is dying.  Perhaps a true wagon will emerge next round.

I thought that Chevy said no to another wagon/wagon-ish Malibu. Could be wrong here.

That car looks awfully big to be a Malibu, that's a genuine full size car there, look at how long the doors are! It looks like a BWM 7 in size to my eyes at least. And I didn't figure GM to adjust the Malibu wheelbase until the platform change in a few years yet, so if it's a malibu, it looks awfully big to me. But then again, it's way too early to see NG impala cars in that level of finish...

But it doesn't look too long to be sharing the G6's wheelbase...

CD/BP: Chris, thank you for finding this and posting it. But help me to understand something - how did they get shots of this? I realize cameras and telephoto lenses can be sophisticated, but the specific wording of the article (shown below, emphasis added by me) made me wonder...

" . . . We snapped this minimally disguised prototype traversing a distant road deep within one of GM's U.S. Proving Grounds. The great distance between car and camera has made the checkerboard camouflage tape a little more effective, obscuring some of this prototype's more minute details . . ."

Is that writing to add to the drama? They make it sound like they're on private property. Are they? Surely GM can tell from the angle and position where these shots were taken, right? And, while I really enjoy seeing spy pics like these, why can't GM build a wall around this particular proving ground to keep people out? Or purchase additional property surrounding it, to keep cameras even further away?

That car looks awfully big to be a Malibu, that's a genuine full size car there, look at how long the doors are!  It looks like a BWM 7 in size to my eyes at least.  And I didn't figure GM to adjust the Malibu wheelbase until the platform change in a few years yet, so if it's a malibu, it looks awfully big to me.  But then again, it's way too early to see NG impala cars in that level of finish...

If you look at the doors on the new Camry, it is possible for this to be a mid-size. I think part of the reason they look so huge is that they ride high up (the windows are not so tall).

Guest Josh

I like how Doane is a spy photographer yet all of a sudden (well for the past 5 months anyway) in the "know" on every vehicle program from every manufacturer. Interesting, isnt it?

That being said, I saw pictures today of the Holden LWB VE Commodore and this looks to be a dead ringer of the images I saw of the Zeta Commodore.

My "take" (and it is just that).......It's something RWD but it aint a Chevy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this