Cadillac launches CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Cadillac launches CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Exclusive paint process enhances richness of CTS-V surface

GM Media

post-253-0-37660200-1296684050.jpg

* First use of JDSU’s proprietary SpectraFlair® pigment in North America

* Satin Graphite wheels, yellow Brembo brake calipers add style, performance

* Recaro seating, Midnight Sapele wood complete interior

DETROIT – Cadillac will offer this spring a Black Diamond Edition of the high-performance CTS-V that comes with a host of popular performance options and an exclusive tri-coat paint, also called “Black Diamond.”

The Black Diamond Edition, available in the CTS-V Sedan, Coupe and Wagon models, will be the first use by an automaker of JDSU’s proprietary SpectraFlair pigment in North America. JDSU, a Milipitas, Calif.,-based optical technology firm, specializes in cutting-edge color solutions for a wide range of markets. Its pigments are used in certain DuPont paints supplied to Cadillac.

In the CTS-V Black Diamond, a dark tri-coat paint is embedded with SpectraFlair Bright Silver pigment. While other luxury makers offer metallic paints, Black Diamond is created through a meticulous process that gives the paint added dimension.

Instead of simply containing small bits of metal, the SpectraFlair pigment in Black Diamond uses aluminum flakes encapsulated in a glass-like substance called magnesium fluoride. The result is a paint that has a diamond-like sparkle as light hits the surface from different angles.

“The CTS-V Black Diamond Edition is like a finely crafted, tailored tuxedo,” said Michelle Killen, Cadillac exterior paint designer. “The base color may be a simple black, but the details and richness of the material set it apart.”

Black Diamond helps Cadillac meet growing demand by luxury buyers for paints that are set apart not just by their color but also by their special effects.

“Auto makers and consumers are looking to differentiate the color black, an ubiquitous color in automotive,” said John Book, Custom Color Solutions product manager at JDSU. “Black Diamond offers the discerning Cadillac customer a special option color that stands out and remains true to their sense of luxury and style.”

In addition to the unique paint, CTS-V Black Diamond comes standard with content that complements its look and feel. The special edition has:

* Satin Graphite 19-inch wheels with yellow Brembo brake calipers. These six-piston front, four-piston back brake calipers provide exceptional stopping capabilities.

* Recaro seats that feature 14 adjustable elements, French-stitched leather and microfiber suede inserts in the center sections of the cushions and seatbacks.

* Midnight Sapele wood trim known for its durability and distinctive grain.

“We’ve already established V-Series as a serious sub-brand for Cadillac,” said Rich Pinto, Cadillac creative designer. “Black Diamond further establishes V-Series in the market as a performance-minded line of vehicles with a luxury twist.”

The CTS-V Black Diamond comes with a suggested retail price, including destination charges, of $69,190 for the manual or $70,490 for the automatic, a $4,850 premium over the CTS-V base price. The CTS-V Black Diamond will be available at U.S. dealerships in March.

The CTS-V Black Diamond Edition joins Cadillac’s award-winning V-Series line of performance luxury vehicles. The CTS-V Sedan, Coupe and Wagon all feature a supercharged 6.2L V8 engine with 556-horspower, Magnetic Ride Control suspension that reads and reacts to the road 1,000 times a second and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tire.

Click on Photo to go to larger image or go to the Cheers & Gears Gallery

post-253-0-20331100-1296684031.jpg

post-253-0-87558100-1296684039.jpg

post-253-0-07570900-1296684071.jpg

post-253-0-14400400-1296684060.jpg

All Images © General Motors

...but did the cheap plastic and rear console get addressed?? I mean this is nice and all, but those other things are what need to be addressed, not the addition of a new fancy paint color/interior combo.

ETA: the article seems unclear--is "Black Diamond" intended to be a new sub-brand? Platinum, V-Series, Black Diamond? Too much...and diminishes the V-Series IMO.

Edited by Croc

...but did the cheap plastic and rear console get addressed?? I mean this is nice and all, but those other things are what need to be addressed, not the addition of a new fancy paint color/interior combo.

What about the rear console? They should remove the back seat, would make it more hardcore.

Too bad they didn't go the badass hardcore route w/ the Black Diamond--make it aggro like the AMG Black Series cars..lighter materials, bigger wheels & tires, more power...like a street version of the race car.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I like how they put wood in it instead of the dreadful plastic the V-Sedan gets.

I like the wood...much nicer than the vile (real or faux) carbon fiber trim that appears all too often in high performance models..

• Agree 1

I like the wood...much nicer than the vile (real or faux) carbon fiber trim that appears all too often in high performance models..

Agreed.

I'm just not feeling the "Black Diamond" moniker. See, I liked the V-series because Cadillac crests were often accented by a big wide V when the wreath was not present. I'd rather see something playing off of Cadillac heritage more, but that pretty much leaves the Merlettes (uhhh...no, just no) and the crown.

I'm just not feeling the "Black Diamond" moniker. See, I liked the V-series because Cadillac crests were often accented by a big wide V when the wreath was not present. I'd rather see something playing off of Cadillac heritage more, but that pretty much leaves the Merlettes (uhhh...no, just no) and the crown.

Never heard of a merlette, but how about 'Black Mallard'...in reference to the ducks that used to be on the logo...since the V-series is a Cadillac that really zigs..

Agreed.

well I wasn't feeling it either. Black Diamond to me sounds just like the Chrysler 300 dubs editions....that whole deal. Not sure if that is the same vibe you get. It just sounds cheesy.

Well... nice of them to offer such a nice paint. But, let's hope there will be a "White Diamond" or "Silver Specter" Edition coming along.

I never buy Black cars... too hot in Summer, looks dirty unless you wash it every other day. Plus, it shows off scratches and nicks like crazy. I have a habit of buying 3~4 year old cars because they represent a much superior value. Once the E90 M5, W204 C63 AMG or LSA powered CTS-V falls under the $30K threshold I'll buy one. With used cars, I have learned to accept compromises in color and specific options as long as a car is in great condition, has low miles and is at a good price. But there is one rule I never violate. If it's black I don't want anything to do with it.

Edited by dwightlooi

Well... nice of them to offer such a nice paint. But, let's hope there will be a "White Diamond" or "Silver Specter" Edition coming along.

I never buy Black cars... too hot in Summer, looks dirty unless you wash it every other day. Plus, it shows off scratches and nicks like crazy. I have a habit of buying 3~4 year old cars because they represent a much superior value. Once the E90 M5, W204 C63 AMG or LSA powered CTS-V falls under the $30K threshold I'll buy one. With used cars, I have learned to accept compromises in color and specific options as long as a car is in great condition, has low miles and is at a good price. But there is one rule I never violate. If it's black I don't want anything to do with it.

gino-vannelli_1.Jpg

look better in the shade........

Love the Metallic Black, Saw it at my local Caddy Dealer and it is way better than the ugly basic Black. I am so pumped to get this color, now just have to convince the wife that this is our next car for her and I to go on road trips.

Wow, the wagon looks really sinister in that color scheme. Can't say I would want to drive it around every day though with that color scheme. It's like yellow or the bright green on the Camaro. Sure it looks cool, but begins to get old after a while and doesn't look so good.