G5

Any one hear anything about a Pontiac G5? The Shop chairman for the local UAW at the Lordstown plant said something about it. All that was said is that it will be an 07 and for the US market. This was all said in a public area so I hope this is ok to talk about.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't necesarily have a problem with the alphanumerics <_< ...but for christs sake...just stop selling the current cobalt clone and give mexico and canada something original too!...thats as bad as audi's A3 because they sell that wierd little A2 in europe...at least G4 makes some sense with G6...I mean seriously...G5 G6 and G8...what the hell are they thinking...and then throw in GTO Solstice and Torrent...GROW SOME DAMN BRAINS PEOPLE

I think the 'G5' name would make most sense applied to a Vibe replacement.

I would think so since the G4 is the PontiaCobalt

Also its a good thing to hear too we'll get the Vibe away from Toyota stuff and put it on a pretty good compact platform with some decent engines. I am interested to see this car and see what styling direction Pontiac is going to take with this car. If it's styled right and is top notch quality I could see Dodge's Caliber not having a chance in the market......

It is the US Pontiac version of the Cobalt.  2-door only.  I don't know why GM chose G5 name over the Mexican G4 or the Canadian Pursuit though.  Most content will be similiar to the Canadian Pursuit.

This can't be happening...

If it's just the Pursuit, then just call it a Pursuit. Quit trying to disguise that it's a rebadged Cobalt. We all know a Pursuit is a rebadged Cobalt. I find the Pursuit very disturbing already.

I don't understand why they don't learn from mistakes. Pontiac just made some comebacks with the recent models, and now they are trying to kill off the image again.

Edited by ToniCipriani

GM: Proving you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

In other news, Lordstown will also be the site for the new Buick Skyhawk, a luxury compact sedan with exclusive QuietTuning technology. It will share it's platform with the new Oldsmobile Starfire, a sporty sedan and coupe with a European flair, and the Cimerron a distinctive new luxury sports sedan by Cadillac.

Does Pontiac need another FWD car?  Does Pontiac need another coupe/2-door vehicle?  Does Pontiac need a rebadged Cobalt?

I am thinking of one word and one word only.

I have 3 answers for that, no, yes, no. The second, only if it has a sedan version as well, and is based off kappa.

can we petition them not to name it G5?

G5 does strongly suggest a hatchback of some sort. I am not keen on the idea of a FWD, rebadged Cobalt. However, if we're talking about a product that is differentiated, meaning new fascias, and perhaps a whole different entry from a standard 2-door coupe, then you've got my attention. If it's just a Cobalt coupe, there is no reason for this other than to take up capacity and appease the dealers.

It would make way too much sense to take the HHR SEMA two door concept, add a distinctive tail light package and call it the Safari then sell it as a Pontiac. Instead we get a Cobalt with a nose and rump job.

Really not sure if it's the best idea for Pontiac to go retro. Looks out of place with Pontiac's current lineup.

What exactly is the G5 supposed to be?

A compact sedan? RWD or FWD? anyone?

AH-HA just said it would be built at Lordstown this year so it will be Delta based, likely not related to the HHR, so probably a sedan. I am going to go with a number of others and guess the ION replacement that was shown on C&G will be rebadged to a Pontiac. Anyone wanna photochop something up?

AH-HA just said it would be built at Lordstown this year so it will be Delta based, likely not related to the HHR, so probably a sedan.  I am going to go with a number of others and guess the ION replacement that was shown on C&G will be rebadged to a Pontiac.  Anyone wanna photochop something up?

Makes sense. Matches the idea of "next Ion being shelved", and given to Pontiac. Thinking deeply, Saturn didn't need that car, as it can always source its compact from Opel (read: Astra hatch).

Regardless of what the actual car will be... If it's named G5, it'll ruin it for me. There is absolutley no logical reason for it to be named such a meaningless alphanumeric. And naming it that would obviously dispel any rumors that G6 actually stood for something. It's absolutely retarded, either way. If GM has any intelligence at all, it will not name it that. My hopes aren't very high, though... It's still the same old GM and the same old BS; dire situation, Lutz or not. <_<

Regardless of what the actual car will be... If it's named G5, it'll ruin it for me. There is absolutley no logical reason for it to be named such a meaningless alphanumeric. And naming it that would obviously dispel any rumors that G6 actually stood for something. It's absolutely retarded, either way. If GM has any intelligence at all, it will not name it that. My hopes aren't very high, though... It's still the same old GM and the same old BS; dire situation, Lutz or not. <_<

Well, I'd watch until it's officially announced. By the sound of things, it's only people walking around the plant calling it that. Maybe it looks very similar to the G6, so people nickname it the G5.

I see it this way, the Torrent wouldn't be called the Torrent if they really wanted to convert all names to Gn (where n is a natural number).

So guys, stop scaring ourselves.

AH-HA just said it would be built at Lordstown this year so it will be Delta based, likely not related to the HHR, so probably a sedan.  I am going to go with a number of others and guess the ION replacement that was shown on C&G will be rebadged to a Pontiac.  Anyone wanna photochop something up?

If the ION is supposed to be an Opel derivative, then it should be fair to assume this will be as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The Astra has been getting a lot of good press, both here AND abroad.

Well, I'd watch until it's officially announced. By the sound of things, it's only people walking around the plant calling it that. Maybe it looks very similar to the G6, so people nickname it the G5.

I see it this way, the Torrent wouldn't be called the Torrent if they really wanted to convert all names to Gn (where n is a natural number).

So guys, stop scaring ourselves.

GM's retarded like that.