NAIAS 2011 - Buick - What We've Learned

Buick

What we've learned

post-51-0-39943200-1294951786.png

January 13th, 2011

Drew Dowdell - Chief Editor - CheersandGears.com

There were very few (any?) surprises at the North American Auto Show in Detroit this year, however not all was lost. GM included me in a series of group interviews with various executives, engineers, and product planners throughout the first day of the show. This write up will focus on two of those discussions. The first of these 2 groups was with Ed Welburn - Vice President of General Motors Design and the second group was with Jim Federico - Executive Director - Global Vehicle Line. I will jump around between these two discussions because we covered a lot of similar subjects.

On the 2012 Buick Verano:

When the 2.0T version of the car is released later this year, it will receive an improved turbo configuration that will offer better performance and improved fuel economy over the existing 2.0T used in the Regal. These changes will trickle up to the Regal turbo as well. Over the weekend, GM CEO Dan Akerson hinted that the Verano may come with Buick's new e-Assist package due to be the base engine on the Lacrosse for 2012. This was basically confirmed by both Jim and Ed.

Our group was asked by one of the executives what we thought about the possibility of a Verano GS. I replied that I though such a car would need all wheel drive to be taken seriously. And that was shot down fairly quickly as not a viable option for the car. One executive thinks that the possibility of multiple body styles is unlikely for the Verano, the other takes a "wait and see" attitude pointing to the need for Verano's success as a sedan before any additional bodies are offered and suggests, while looking towards the Regal, that other models are ripe for additional body styles first.

With regards for the Verano's fuel economy and performance. When questioned about the 31mpg preliminary EPA rating on Verano, Jim was said that he could have gotten a few more miles per gallon out of the car, but it would be at the expense of around town performance. Still, a 2011 Buick Lacrosse with the same 4-cylinder and 6-speed automatic is rated at just 1 mpg less on the highway yet is 500 to 600 pounds heavier.

When questioned about the vehicle's name, and why Skyhawk and Skylark weren't used, we were told that both of those names had very negative connotations associated with them. Buick would be interested in any name that had a positive response.

The Verano will be built at GM's Orion plant next to the coming Chevrolet Sonic. Pricing is expected to be below $23,900 for a base model and we were told it will not crest $30,000 for a loaded one. The target market for the Verano is customers who used to buy a loaded Jetta or Civic and like that size of car, but want something a bit more upscale without spending a lot more money. The 2012 Buick Verano is due on lots no later than Q4 2011.

On the Regal:

As mentioned above, improvements are coming for the turbo model and Regal is the most likely candidate to get body styles other than a sedan. So far, Buick is very happy with Regal sales.

On the Buick lineup:

For the next few years after the Lucerne dies, there are no plans in the works for a vehicle above the Lacrosse in the Buick lineup. If you're looking for a Buick flagship, it's already there in the Enclave. This could change in the future, but for now, Buick is filling out the rest of the lineup.

There is definitely a "baby Enclave" coming. Expect it to be between the Nissan Rogue and the Honda CR-V in size. No word on which platform it would use.

eAssist could become a Buick wide option and a key feature in upcoming models. It would likely be used as a way to push "Green Luxury" with a minimal price increase.

One thing that was strongly hinted at was Riviera. We asked the question directly, but the executives ducked the question. The most direct answer we could get was this: "Well let me put it this way, in product clinics, the name Riviera is stronger than any other name Buick has." When we asked about the drive train such a car would have, they turned it back to us and asked what we thought; We were asked if we thought the Riviera should be front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Being the e-body lover I am, I said front wheel drive simply because that's what most of the people who know Riviera would expect. One of the other participants said rear wheel drive.

We were asked what where we thought a Buick convertible should sit. I suggested that the Regal was the most likely candidate and the execs nodded in agreement. I also pointed out that in our Concepts that we wish had been built poll, the Buick Velite took 3rd place.

Buick clearly has plans to keep their momentum going. In some ways, it's shifting into being a leader instead of a follower with offerings like eAssist and bringing the Verano to a segment of the market that has been left open. If the baby Enclave pans out the way it is hinted, it just may open up another segment in the market currently under served by other brands. The great American road just may yet belong to Buick.

Well, by asking the RWD/FWD Riviera question, they must be considering RWD... which would ROCK.

Glad to hear more Regal variations are likely on the way. Regal coupe/convertible/wagon/sedan... the first complete model lineup from GM in decades.

I hope Verano does well enough for them (we already think so) to warrant more bodystyles as well.

Fewer brands, profitability, more bodystyle variants on each nameplate... elementary to me.

I see this as frustrating. I don't understand why it took so long to get these performance/economy enhancements to the 2.0L turbo. It's not like this is a new engine.

I'm not sure how the Verano will fare. I want to know how "Verano" to them received a positive reaction. Did they have a panel of only Spanish-speaking people who love Summer? It's a horrible name IMO and they could have definitely chosen something else that is more in line with Buick's history.

I see this as frustrating. I don't understand why it took so long to get these performance/economy enhancements to the 2.0L turbo. It's not like this is a new engine.

I suspect the engine may be part of the plant upgrades they have been making. Along with the fact the Regal is just now going to be moved from Germany to Canada. I expect we will see many upgrades and improvments to the Eco soon cross the entire line. Smaller lighter stronger more economical etc.

The Riv name is fine as long as it is put on the right car. If they put it to the wrong car it will tarnish it for ever. Wisdom needs to be used in picking the right model. Also no matter what they pick someone will complain. So they just need to get the right product.

I would love to see a modern Silver Arrow edition again. I don't mean so much in similar stlying but groud breaking styling like the original show car of the 60's. Not big, not too small and luxury with a sporty edge. Then put a body on the car that makes one just say wow.

I would love to see the Riviera return, although I'm not too drawn to the styling of the concept from a few years ago. I'd much rather see something unquestionably modern, yet having a dash of some past styling thrown in for good measure. My preference would be something inspired by the first gen Riv, which in my opinion is a timeless design and one of the sexiest to come out of any GM division, ever. I wouldn't mind design inspiration coming from the boat tail Riv's either, which I think were quite daring, especially looking at them from a historical standpoint and knowing the dark days that were to come soon after across the industry.

One of the main reasons I chose my Riviera was because of the retro touches that clearly were inspired by the first gen Riv, namely the interior and the subtle raised creases of the front fenders leading into the headlights. The only complaint I've had with my Riv aside from a never ending reliability issue with both the supercharged 3800 and the transmission is the fact it was not a V8 or RWD. I wouldn't even mind the FWD as much if it had at least come with a V8, in this case most likely a Northstar. While the build quality of the interior certainly isn't up to par with GM's new stuff, for it's time it was pretty solid and has held up well, even the leather seats are in great shape and look like they're perhaps 5 years old, not 16. I think GM really put a good amount of effort into the Riv's final generation, it's a shame they seemed to have abandoned the car just as they we're finally returning it to it's formal glory. I hope they bring it back and make it great, like it should be.

Re AWD for the Verano the argument is shot down quickly because the rear suspension on the Cruze and Astra/Verano does not allow room for a rear differential. IDK about the floorpan having enough space for a driveshaft, but given the rear suspension configuration GM went for, I seriously doubt it.

Taking the Astra OPC as a Verano GS could be an interesting option, but then you'd have a Verano GS with 290hp and a Regal GS either with the 255hp 2.0L or with the same 290hp tune...

I think this would make a nice Verano sedan companion...

Opel-Astra-GTC.jpg

This is the car GM needs here. It needs to come with the 2.0 Turbo and needs to retain all the performance suspension items.

As for the Riv I really hope they refrain do much Retro in it. for Buick to move ahead it needs to set a future path just as the 63 did in it's own time. There are times to remember and a time to move ahead. Now is the time to move ahead.

Note I did not really like the show car of a couple years ago. But then again it really was not a production minded show car.

• Agree 1

I hated the Riv concept from a few years ago. Proportions were excellent, detailing was horrible.

>>"Buick to move ahead it needs to set a future path just as the 63 did in it's own time. There are times to remember and a time to move ahead. Now is the time to move ahead. "<<

Now is NOT the time to blend in with the generic modern. There is no 'forward' in design- you're already looking at it.

It is time for excellent, timeless, expressive design, and that's simply not found among the me-too, LED-strip, homogenized approach of The Current.

Heritage is about the only bastion left for inspiration; legislation has crushed most of the others.

Opel-Astra-GTC.jpg

This car would change public perception of the division faster than the Regal, LaCrosse and Enclave combined. I do wonder if it doesn't fit their goal of being the American version of lexus and Mercedes leaving Cadillac alone to tackle BMW & infiniti type of products. In the past, acura has had great success with building brand awareness through the rsx, maybe Buick could do the same with this, even dropping the Verano name for something more exciting.

Opel-Astra-GTC.jpg

I can't see that as a Buick. Everytime I try to imagine it as the Buick Verano hatchback, it doesn't seem to work at all.

However, I would love to see Buick do a Rivera. Make it RWD and offer AWD as a option and have it as your flagship.

I like the direction Buick is moving in, and is probably the only GM brand I would consider at the time, but I would absolutely love to see the Avant concept in their lineup! (Thanks for posting that Camino, I'd totally forgotten about it) I also think the Astra hatches should come over, but I think it would be hard to make them feel like part of the Buick family. Now a Regal coupe/convetible to go with the sedan and wagon would be great!

Edited by PONTIAC06

I have to see something like this to become interested in Buick again.

post-394-0-10450400-1295020197.jpg

Now I would love to see Buick use this kind of design language to advance all their lines. It is bold, fresh and specific. No one would mistake this for anything but a Buick with the proper marketing.

I love this car but understand that it is not the kind of model that would save the division. But that does not mean they can't use elements of this on other cars in the line.

This styling is flowing but still with the sharp edges that Bill Mitchell loved in his designs. Bill loved his pressed pants!

I am glad that Buick is doing great. But it truly pisses me off that they don't have a flagship! They need to have a RWD, Vert and some 2 dr models. They also should bring back names like Lesabre, Park Avenue and Skylark.

And I am really tired that Cadillac and Chevy can get their own platforms but Buick has to share from everyone else. That is really f@#ked up.

I like the direction Buick is moving in, and is probably the only GM brand I would consider at the time, but I would absolutely love to see the Avant concept in their lineup! (Thanks for posting that Camino, I'd totally forgotten about it) I also think the Astra hatches should come over, but I think it would be hard to make them feel like part of the Buick family. Now a Regal coupe/convetible to go with the sedan and wagon would be great!

My pleasure!

I'll use any excuse to post a pic of the Avant, it is simply a beautiful design. I'd call it timeless.

I am glad that Buick is doing great. But it truly pisses me off that they don't have a flagship! They need to have a RWD, Vert and some 2 dr models. They also should bring back names like Lesabre, Park Avenue and Skylark.

And I am really tired that Cadillac and Chevy can get their own platforms but Buick has to share from everyone else. That is really f@#ked up.

The flagship is not a priority right now. They need volume cars to sell now one high priced show case. In time they will get one but when you were to the point of only two cars and two SUV the dealers needed volume product than needed it now.

As for the name I see many people resistant to Buick yet today just for the Buick name let alone recycled names like Skylark. We are lucky they kept Regal but many still have a positive image of this name. Lesabre and Park Ave are hurt by the fact that ever old person over 60 had one. Not a image you want to project if you are wanting to sell to the young. Skylark was prostiuted on way to many different cars. It went from one of the best Buick of all time to a Monza or Cavalier clone. Marketing Buick to a younger crowd will take names with out baggage. A Buick fan offten overlooks this but not the person who could care less if Buick lives or dies.

Chevy is already being sold world wide so they are sharing with other markets. Buick is in China and Under Opel in Europe. SO they really are not much different for sharing. At least they are set appart from Chevy so far and the different from Chevy the better for Buick. We really have yet to see a true post Chapter 11 Buick yet. All we have seen are the products they had ready before but no money to release. In time the product will improve and expand but it and Opel are now as one on many models as Buick needs at leas 2 other world markets.

Caddy is also going to share with cars like the Alpha. They are not getting platforms all to themselves. Heck as it looks they will still be sharing engines with the Silverodo.

Skylark was never a "Monza or Cavalier" clone.

That was the Skyhawk..different bird. It was a Monza clone then a Cavalier variation. Skylark was many things.. the '53-54 fullsize convertible, an early '60s compact, then a midsize, then a Nova clone (started as the Apollo in that form), then a FWD X-body as it's first FWD variation...then came back as an N-body.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Skylark was never a "Monza or Cavalier" clone.

Sorry I was thinking Skyhawk but it pretty much is the same thing with the X body and N body aboninations.

The only real Skylarks of any worth were the limitied edition 50's convertibles and the RWD 60's-72 models. Even their popularity pailed to the other GM models on the same A body platform.

The fact is most of today buyers really don't care about old Buick names. In fact often the reply of many unwashed non Buick fans are why did they put Buick on the car? they would have been happy with the Opel name.

You and I know why they kept it but The general public that Buick needs to entice could really careless about the past vs what they will offer now.

Very few Asian cars are built on heritage and most are out selling GM models. Heritage is being lost on the youth of today and they will pay a price for it.

You and I know why they kept it but The general public that Buick needs to entice could really careless about the past vs what they will offer now.

Very few Asian cars are built on heritage and most are out selling GM models. Heritage is being lost on the youth of today and they will pay a price for it.

I wonder how many buyers are going to glance at the Verano, then shuffle down to their Hyundai/Honda/Toyota/Nissan store and go with a predicable, safe choice...

I wonder how many buyers are going to glance at the Verano, then shuffle down to their Hyundai/Honda/Toyota/Nissan store and go with a predicable, safe choice...

For better or worse those manufacturers don't have any 24-30K compacts to compete with the Verano? Most compacts in this price range are sport compacts like the GTI etc.

For better or worse those manufacturers don't have any 24-30K compacts to compete with the Verano? Most compacts in this price range are sport compacts like the GTI etc.

Yeah, but for the same price you can move up to a well equipped Sonata, Accord, Altima, Camry...I couldn't see a general consumer buying a Verano over those..

• Agree 2

Yeah, but for the same price you can move up to a well equipped Sonata, Accord, Altima, Camry...I couldn't see a general consumer buying a Verano over those..

There have got to be some that will prefer the rareness and anachronistic styling elements on the Verano over the room and practicality found on midsize 4 cylinder sedans or the sportiness found in cars like the GTI, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3 etc.

• Agree 1

The real issue in this class is price and MPG. GM is really going into a uncharted area with the Buick. Small Luxury cars have never proven to do well and I am real sure how the market is for them yet. Usually they are better accepted with a performance edge.

The Sonata doesn't have the interior to go up against the Verano. If back seat spaciousness isn't a concern, the Verano wins that one hands down. The Verano is in a new class, one that values comfort and quality over speed and size, and gets there at a reasonable price. The Verano has nicer interior materials, especially on the center console, than the Lacrosse I'm driving has.

I sat in all of the Hyundais, Sonata and lower and came away with two impressions:

1. They all about the "flair" while missing the basic details. Sure you can get heated seats in the back of an Elantra, but the sun visors feel like the vinyl out of a 1978 Ford F-150, the head liner makes the "mouse fur" of GM's past look luxurious, the plastic materials are sub-par though attractively designed, and the whole car has a tinny feel to it.

2. Sitting in all of the corresponding Kias directly after leads you to wonder which of the two brands is really suppose to be the "up market" one.

The Sonata doesn't have the interior to go up against the Verano. If back seat spaciousness isn't a concern, the Verano wins that one hands down. The Verano is in a new class, one that values comfort and quality over speed and size, and gets there at a reasonable price. The Verano has nicer interior materials, especially on the center console, than the Lacrosse I'm driving has.

I sat in all of the Hyundais, Sonata and lower and came away with two impressions:

1. They all about the "flair" while missing the basic details. Sure you can get heated seats in the back of an Elantra, but the sun visors feel like the vinyl out of a 1978 Ford F-150, the head liner makes the "mouse fur" of GM's past look luxurious, the plastic materials are sub-par though attractively designed, and the whole car has a tinny feel to it.

2. Sitting in all of the corresponding Kias directly after leads you to wonder which of the two brands is really suppose to be the "up market" one.

It is very plain the quality and standard of luxury on the Buick will be top of the line. But will it be enough to make people willing to pay for it when money is tight? The same applies for the Cruze. It may have the bet interior, ride and quiet but will that make it enough to pay a higher price per month. Often these people will pay a higher price and just get the larger car.

The market is headed this direction with smaller cars and higher trim levels. The problem is being the first there is going to be difficult till the others are forced by CAFE to move there in a couple years.

I suspect the engine may be part of the plant upgrades they have been making. Along with the fact the Regal is just now going to be moved from Germany to Canada. I expect we will see many upgrades and improvments to the Eco soon cross the entire line. Smaller lighter stronger more economical etc.

The Riv name is fine as long as it is put on the right car. If they put it to the wrong car it will tarnish it for ever. Wisdom needs to be used in picking the right model. Also no matter what they pick someone will complain. So they just need to get the right product.

I would love to see a modern Silver Arrow edition again. I don't mean so much in similar stlying but groud breaking styling like the original show car of the 60's. Not big, not too small and luxury with a sporty edge. Then put a body on the car that makes one just say wow.

Thanx for the Silver Arrow reference I just had a history lesson and it was much appreciated even old dogs can learn a lesson or two. I'd never heard of the concepts but they for shown many advanced options and Std. fetchers the first thing I saw was the 6 lamp headlights off the last box DeVilles.The Silver Arrow III roofline is beautiful.

Thanx for the Silver Arrow reference I just had a history lesson and it was much appreciated even old dogs can learn a lesson or two. I'd never heard of the concepts but they for shown many advanced options and Std. fetchers the first thing I saw was the 6 lamp headlights off the last box DeVilles.The Silver Arrow III roofline is beautiful.

Silver Arrow II was a forgotten dud, a bare minimal trim car.

I and III were tastefully modified production cars, primarily featuring a chopped top, so unfortunately -tho well-recieved then & now- neither was 'stylistically ground breaking'... as the designs were already released.

hyundais are nice to a certain price point. their interiors are plenty good to live up to their price.

that is the thing. at a much higher price, sure they become subject to criticism. but rest assured they make every effort to give you close to the whole package for the price they charge.

the elantra's biggest fo paws are the vanity mirror and the headliner. whoppdedoo. everything else is a solid job. GM cars always had bad headliners too, the thing was that was on top of all the other big problems they had.....dated powertrains, uncomfortable and cheap interiors, NVH issues, high price, questionable reliability.

hyundai, they are now meeting the standard on most of the car of what people expect at that price, and they are in some cases offering more, which allows them to be compared to what was considered uplevel competition.

when that happens it just makes it more of a challenge for the Veranos of the world. Nice is nice, but Americans really shy away from spending too much on compacts of any ilk. especially the likes of Verano which to some may just end up being the new age Grand Am.

I know my friend who bought the sonata limited they just love it. they were not super discriminating, but they also were not camry freaks. and they shopped hard. the kias like the optima are even better.

verano basically won't sell in much volume with so many midsizers going as cheap or cheaper and really in the end pretty close to or the same quality inside.

verano might be a 40k unit car for buick.....25k if they are lucky.......in the US our concept of luxury is also tied to stretch out comfort and space, that is inbred. if you feel cramped its like punishment. few folks will pay more for a smaller car that really doesn't provide much benefit in other areas. especially a somewhat damaged brand like buick........if too many of those veranos are going for 26k and over, that is where the volume drop off will be. i don't think buick really wants the verano to be huge volume anyways.

hell i know the verano might be a nice car.....but a Kia Optima turbo with panarama sunroof and heated cooled seats and heated steering wheel for the same price with lots more room, um, duh, why get a Verano.....

Buick just won't have the brand equity to sell a Buick Cruze for too much money. they'll snag some folks. but they are really testing the preconceived notions of the American public on how far they will go to spend on a compact.

Like hyper alludes to, a lot of it is CAFE forcing the issue. remember this verano was supposed to be a saturn. i am not sure a 30k saturn was the original plan.

Edited by regfootball

hyundais are nice to a certain price point. their interiors are plenty good to live up to their price.

that is the thing. at a much higher price, sure they become subject to criticism. but rest assured they make every effort to give you close to the whole package for the price they charge.

the elantra's biggest fo paws are the vanity mirror and the headliner. whoppdedoo. everything else is a solid job. GM cars always had bad headliners too, the thing was that was on top of all the other big problems they had.....dated powertrains, uncomfortable and cheap interiors, NVH issues, high price, questionable reliability.

hyundai, they are now meeting the standard on most of the car of what people expect at that price, and they are in some cases offering more, which allows them to be compared to what was considered uplevel competition.

when that happens it just makes it more of a challenge for the Veranos of the world. Nice is nice, but Americans really shy away from spending too much on compacts of any ilk. especially the likes of Verano which to some may just end up being the new age Grand Am.

I know my friend who bought the sonata limited they just love it. they were not super discriminating, but they also were not camry freaks. and they shopped hard. the kias like the optima are even better.

verano basically won't sell in much volume with so many midsizers going as cheap or cheaper and really in the end pretty close to or the same quality inside.

verano might be a 40k unit car for buick.....25k if they are lucky.......in the US our concept of luxury is also tied to stretch out comfort and space, that is inbred. if you feel cramped its like punishment. few folks will pay more for a smaller car that really doesn't provide much benefit in other areas. especially a somewhat damaged brand like buick........if too many of those veranos are going for 26k and over, that is where the volume drop off will be. i don't think buick really wants the verano to be huge volume anyways.

hell i know the verano might be a nice car.....but a Kia Optima turbo with panarama sunroof and heated cooled seats and heated steering wheel for the same price with lots more room, um, duh, why get a Verano.....

Buick just won't have the brand equity to sell a Buick Cruze for too much money. they'll snag some folks. but they are really testing the preconceived notions of the American public on how far they will go to spend on a compact.

Like hyper alludes to, a lot of it is CAFE forcing the issue. remember this verano was supposed to be a saturn. i am not sure a 30k saturn was the original plan.

I'd rather see the Verano de-chromed as an Astra to compete against the Focus, Golf, etc. But strangely, GM priced the Cruze right in line with the Ford and Volkswagen, even though it was supposed to be the "high value" car.

I'd rather see the Verano de-chromed as an Astra to compete against the Focus, Golf, etc. But strangely, GM priced the Cruze right in line with the Ford and Volkswagen, even though it was supposed to be the "high value" car.

Well, since Ford is one of Chevy's main competitors in the US, I would expect the Cruze to priced similar to the Focus.

I just want to point out the fact that size=luxury might be a sign of age (no offense to anyone here) but I love the Regal, but after seeing the Verano which is going to be available fully loaded with the same 2.0T and 6M, at a the price the Regal bases at with those two features, I'm going to go witht he Verano probably. There's a reason that Ford is selling so many Fiesta's with all the features. People my age (22) and even empty nesters are seeing all the fun gadgets and care less if they can fit 4 other people on a regular basis. 90 percent of the time I'm in my Jeep alone anyway. I understand that for some people these cars arent' feasible, and personally I wouldn't want to go any smaller, than the Verano, but I honestly believe alot of people will notice the higher content levels in these cars relative to the larger cars for the same price.

Then again, I've always been attracted to the "off" cars that my friends don't like, such as wagons and goofy european hatchbacks, so maybe it is just me.

Edited by PONTIAC06

It is very plain the quality and standard of luxury on the Buick will be top of the line. But will it be enough to make people willing to pay for it when money is tight? The same applies for the Cruze. It may have the bet interior, ride and quiet but will that make it enough to pay a higher price per month. Often these people will pay a higher price and just get the larger car.

The market is headed this direction with smaller cars and higher trim levels. The problem is being the first there is going to be difficult till the others are forced by CAFE to move there in a couple years.

IMHO, you're thinking in the wrong direction. The Verano isn't for people moving up from a Cobalt. It's for people moving down from a TSX or ES350. In that regard, it's in the perfect place to catch people who no longer want a Lexus payment but still want as much of the lux as they can get for their dollar.

IMHO, you're thinking in the wrong direction. The Verano isn't for people moving up from a Cobalt. It's for people moving down from a TSX or ES350. In that regard, it's in the perfect place to catch people who no longer want a Lexus payment but still want as much of the lux as they can get for their dollar.

Gotta agre with drew on this one....nobody in their right mine now a days is going to go from Chevy to buick.

Buick was more mid level, and now it is going to be much more uplevel.

Hence my reason for why I think unlike most-that this is going to do quite well.

Catch with this-lure this people in with good lease rates...

Get the Elantra too far out of it's $14,999 + destination bargain basement comfort zone and the gap on interior quality between it and the Cruze or Focus or even Civic and Jetta become rather clear. Even the new Jetta has a higher quality interior than the Elantra. Get someone behind the wheel of a Cruze and the interior quality and power train refinement will tell you why you'll pay $1500 to $2000 more. All two people shopping in this segment who care that the Elantra is 0.3 seconds faster to 60 can go buy an Elantra instead. I'll say it again, Hyundai is more concerned with the "flair" of things like heated rear seats and selling you on that, but then skimping on other small details that don't get bold print in press releases.

GM has really put together two of the best interiors in the respective classes with the Cruze and Verano. The Cruze, BTW, gets the woven headliner the previous generation CTS had. NHV would have made Lexus proud 5 years ago.

Man, pass around whatever it is that Hyundai gave you to smoke. If you had said Kia, you might have had an argument, but you're only looking at it from the bargain basement perspective. If your finances are so tight that you're only looking at monthly payment, then yes the Hyundai may be right for you; but the better quality car in terms of materials and NHV is still the Cruze. I've not driven the Focus, but I've sat in it, and it's handily beats the Elantra as well inside.

More likely its for people who cannot afford a Regal. I don't see Honda fans trying the Verano.

More likely its for people who cannot afford a Regal. I don't see Honda fans trying the Verano.

Why not? They're trying the Equinox and Terrain and Traverse. Lexus and Toyota fans are trying the Lacrosse, Regal, and Enclave. So why can't some currently driving one of those brands try the Verano?

Buick's lineup has improved, since they aren't just making full size sedans and actually have a variety of sizes now. But really they are just putting a level up interior trim package into Opels, Chevys, and Daewoos and giving it a turbo four, rather than a naturally aspirated four. Sort of like a supercharged 3800 instead of a regular 3800 for the modern day. They improved the line-up but nothing about Buick has a wow factor or is interesting. They will get more sales since Mercury, Pontiac and Saturn aren't around, but GM seems to be putting a lot of focus on it's least important brand (well aside from GMC).

Buick's lineup has improved, since they aren't just making full size sedans and actually have a variety of sizes now. But really they are just putting a level up interior trim package into Opels, Chevys, and Daewoos and giving it a turbo four, rather than a naturally aspirated four. Sort of like a supercharged 3800 instead of a regular 3800 for the modern day. They improved the line-up but nothing about Buick has a wow factor or is interesting. They will get more sales since Mercury, Pontiac and Saturn aren't around, but GM seems to be putting a lot of focus on it's least important brand (well aside from GMC).

I will say this: I'm surprised at the amount of attention my Asian carowner friends are paying towards Buick. One has already said she'd like to replace her Accord with a LaCrosse when she's ready.