Flybrian

Spring Hill - Not dead yet

61 posts in this topic

Flybrian    0

FOR RELEASE: 2006-12-11

GM Investing $225 Million in Tennessee Plant in Preparation For Future Vehicle Production

Posted Image

SPRING HILL, Tenn. – General Motors today announced it plans to invest approximately $225 million in its Spring Hill manufacturing complex to renovate the plant’s paint shop in preparation for future vehicle production. The investment is contingent on GM securing incentives from the state of Tennessee.

Based on the strong performance of the Spring Hill team, General Motors’ pending investment affirms the company’s commitment to its Tennessee operations.

“GM’s planned $225 million investment in Spring Hill is proof that this facility remains an important part of GM’s North American manufacturing plans,” said Tim Lee, GM vice president for Manufacturing and Labor Relations. “This project is instrumental to GM’s efforts to strengthen its core manufacturing capabilities in the United States and also demonstrates the value GM places on working together with our UAW partners to improve our manufacturing operations.”

GM’s Spring Hill manufacturing complex built its first vehicle on July 30, 1990. Since then, the complex has built and shipped more than 3.4 million vehicles. It currently builds the Saturn ION passenger car and Saturn VUE compact SUV. Production of the ION and VUE will be discontinued in late March 2007.

With the investment, the plant will be idled for several months for renovations, beginning in April 2007. The company is finalizing the timing of when the hourly workforce will be called back to work and when production will resume at Spring Hill.

The Spring Hill assembly plant employs approximately 3,500 UAW-represented team members and 230 salaried team members. UAW Local 1853 represents hourly employees throughout the complex.

loki    289

Posted Image

226455[/snapback]

lol

i don't want to go on the cart

i feel happy!  i feel happy!

Edited by loki

AxelTheRed    0

“GM’s planned $225 million investment in Spring Hill is proof that this facility remains an important part of GM’s North American manufacturing plans,”

They said something similar about Flint when they opened Powertrain South a few years back. The Spring Hill workers probably don't appreciate those kinds of comments quite as much as the workers up here do, though.

Northstar    11

Spring Hill is huge; it could do a variety of things. I'm guessing they will be '09 and onward MY vehicles. So maybe TEs and SRWD, or possibly more Lambda or Zeta.

PurdueGuy    72

Would be sweet to have the Astra built there, but I wouldn't expect the Astra to be built in the US until the next full redesign, which IIRC is still a couple years away? Maybe they'll move it forward, or start it here sooner than Europe?

How long does retooling usually take, and would the $225M include the tooling costs for whatever vehcile(s)?

Hudson    16

I bet the Chevy Lambda SUV will be built there, along with TE and maybe Zeta.

226645[/snapback]

Yes and no.

I'm betting you're right about Chevrolet Lambda SUV, but the other product will be Lambda-based as well. You may be surprised at what it is.

ZL-1    160

I'm betting you're right about Chevrolet Lambda SUV, but the other product will be Lambda-based as well. You may be surprised at what it is.

226704[/snapback]

A.... errr..... minivan? Edited by ZL-1

Hudson    16

A.... errr..... minivan?

226705[/snapback]

Not a minivan.

As a clue...what's your least favorite Honda product? The one you (this thread) likes to pick on the most?

Flybrian    0

Not a minivan.

As a clue...what's your least favorite Honda product? The one you (this thread) likes to pick on the most?

226776[/snapback]

Element? A youth-oriented versatile Saturn small box thing?

PurdueGuy    72

Element? A youth-oriented versatile Saturn small box thing?

226781[/snapback]

keep in mind that spring hill no longer equal Saturn. Not sure they're going to be jumping to give Saturn yet another new product after all they've gotten recently... I could be wrong.

bdubsee    0

Not a minivan.

226776[/snapback]

Sounds like the next gen of the stillborn Buick Pragmatic (Rendezvous trucklet) a potential Ridgeline competitor.

Edited by bdubsee

Satty    338

Lambda pickup? Something smaller like Epsilon? I'd really like to see an even smaller trucklet, maybe Delta based, standard AWD maybe along the lines of the Plymouth Backpack. Posted Image

I doubt that will happen, but a Ridgeline/Baja like pickup could be nice.

Northstar    11

I thought the idea of a Lambda truck was axed? Unless it is back on. I don't really see a need for it, the T355s need redesigns first.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.