GM Wins Car AND Truck of the Year!!

GMan

GM @ NAIAS

GM Sweeps N. American Car/Truck of the Year Awards!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Detroit - At a press conference today to kick off the North American International Auto Show, the Chevy Silverado was named the North American Truck of the Year. The award is presented annually by a jury of 49 prominent automotive journalists from throughout the United States and Canada.

"We're very pleased to receive this great annual honor," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "We've been confident all along that we've had the best truck out there with our all-new Silverado. This recognition from the top industry journalists provides validation and reinforces our leadership position."

The all-new truck incorporates new exterior and interior designs, powertrain, chassis and safety systems. The fourth generation of the legendary small-block V-8 engine family is the power behind the new pickup, delivering segment-leading horsepower and fuel economy. Silverado also offers the widest range of truck configurations with three cab sizes, three bed lengths, five suspensions, and two distinct interiors to fit every customer's needs.

The new truck is assembled by the United Auto Workers (UAW) and Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) at five North American locations: Fort Wayne, Indiana; Pontiac, Michigan; Flint, Michigan; Silao, Mexico and Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

"The talent and effort that has gone into the all-new Silverado is evident. We're all proud of this truck and thrilled to be the North American Truck of the Year," Peper added.

The Silverado went on sale at Chevrolet retailers in October, 2006.

Here is what the media are saying:

Tony Swan, Car and Driver: Chevy (Silverado) has the best offering in an intensely competitive market; great chassis, great powertrains, great variety, great drivability, great value."

Matt DeLorenzo, Road and Track: Improvements in the interior as well as the steering, breaking and handling, give this workhorse the comfort and dynamics of a finely-build automobile without sacrificing its ability to get the job done. Two levels of interiors, fuel economy improvements and bold looks ... put Chevy's pickup out front in the pickup truck wars."

Paul Weissler, Motor: "Hard to believe: over 20 mpg highway operation (in 2wd) with a full-size pickup truck ... and a 315-horse V-8, but the Silverado did it."

Ken Gross, Playboy - Hemispheres - CARGO: "The new Silverado is highly redefined and rock-solid. Ideal for day-in, day-out tough jobs and high-tonnage towing, you can still dress it up and take it anywhere."

Posted ImagePosted Image

Detroit - At a press conference today to kick off the North American International Auto Show, the Saturn Aura was named the North American Car of the Year. The award is presented annually by a jury of 49 prominent automotive journalists from throughout the United States and Canada.

"We're extremely pleased that the Aura has been named the North American Car of the Year," said Jill Lajdziak, general manager for Saturn. "The Aura is an important step in our ongoing product revitalization plan, and this award is proof that our efforts are paying off."

In addition to its design and driving character, the panel recognized Aura for its overall value. The Aura XE starts at just $20,995, and comes with a long list of standard features that includes a 224-horsepower 3.5L V6 engine, six airbags, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and GM's OnStar Safety and Security system.

The Aura went on sale at Saturn retailers in August 2006. Saturn sold more than 5,800 Auras in December 2006.

The judges had this to say:

Lindsay Brooke, Automotive Engineering International: "A stiff body structure, suspension nicely balanced between ride compliance and handling, responsive DOHC V6 and smooth-shifting 6-speed automatic make the Aura more fun to drive than Toyota's Camry."

John Davis, Motor Week: "A striking and entertaining family sedan alternative to Camry and Accord. Excellent interior that is original, yet mainstream."

Matt DeLorenzo, Road and Track: "The Saturn Aura is a breakthrough car for General Motors. The exterior styling, interior upgrades and drive train, especially the 3.6L V6 with the 6-speed automatic, come together as a complete package. The road manners are solid, the interior is beautiful, and the overall fit and finish is top-notch. Add in a competitive price structure that keeps the sticker below $30,000 and you have a world-class family sedan."

Denis Duquet, Le Guide de l'Auto: "This sedan proves that things have changed at Saturn in a very positive and quite spectacular way."

Ken Gross, Playboy - Hemispheres: "This smart Euro-styled sedan could lead a Saturn turnaround. It's well-thought out, very nicely styled, entertaining to drive and thoughtfully priced." Edited by Flybrian

Yeah Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Aura and Silverado- truly amazing products that shows GM is almost there (Aura) and completely there (Silverado).

Great news! I am really surprised at the Aura beating out the Camry. It makes sense though because the Aura is more significant to North America than the Camry. I've never bought in to the hybrid thing and I am of the understand the Camry is having some quality issues with loose interior trim and mismatching of colors on the interiors. Ooops. Congrats to GM. I hope they market the hell out of this.

Congrats to GM and everyone who worked on these two vehicles. The Silverado is doing good and the Aura is providing positive press for Saturn and GM as a whole. It might not be a home-run, but it IS a competitor now. Something which couldn't be said about past midsize offerings from GM.

Suddenly the press isn't bias? C'mon! While GM may have deserved the Silverado...they "bought" the Aura award.

I don't know... listening to the audio made it seem like the press thought the Camry was just like the old one for the most part. Plus, the Aura beat the Camry in C&D's comparo, so maybe it is the better car.

I am surprised that the Altima was not in contention.

Congrats GM!!!!!

Promote the hell out of this!!!!! I'm sensing an overall GM promotion talking about how the company is once again a source of pride or america. Or something along those lines.

Oh, and the press is STILL biased One award doesn't make up for their efforts to destroy the company for the last 5 years.

Suddenly the press isn't bias? C'mon! While GM may have deserved the Silverado...they "bought" the Aura award.

Against a car that merely continues where the 2001 Camry left off an a car that was four years old by the time it hit our shores?

This is splendid news :)!

That Aura is one handsome sedan.

Not too sure of the new Silverado looks, but they certainly are growing on me :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

For the Silverado, a well-deserved award in an all-important segment for GM. Enjoy the party, GM - the Tundra is coming. As for the Aura, I think those nay-sayers on the Lutz front may have to shut their mouths finally. Starting with the Grand Prix 4 years ago and the upcoming Malibu, his mark has finally returned pride to the company.

Maybe, just maybe, 2007 will be the year that GM stops the market share free fall in North America and gets their mojo back.

Damn good news!!!! Am I blind though, where's the link?

Here's the link.

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?.../1056/autoshows

Great new for GM, I'm somewhat surprised the Aura one, but what they said in the podcast makes sense. The Camry is a little better, the Fit is good but 4 years old, but the Aura represents a revolution at Saturn and GM.

I think if they chose the Aura over the Camry, it would be doing so to recognize that the Aura is entertaining to drive, and thus reminding Toyota that its more than just building snoozers. Plus, we already know Camry has had some quality issues. Maybe this is the group warning Toyota, be careful, we're not going to give you awards for crap cars. Plus Aura is a hell of a lot more car for the money.

GM's 6 speed actually shifts gears, by the way. The Camry's 6 speed may or may not decide to shift when you press the gas.

The Fit does not represent a significant market segment in the US at least. The mid sized sedan segment is much much much more relevant than the few folks who actually are willing to live with a car like the Fit with limited function and appeal. Plus, the Fit is expensive for its size and horsepower, so its not a value proposition.

As far as trucks, Toyota themselves kept themselves out of competition because they knew they aren't up to snuff with the new turdra.

Tundra and Camry are improved products, but GM has revolutionized the Aura and Silverado! GO GM, do enjoy the party and be ready for the Tundra you guys go it tho! The Aura suprised but the Camry isn't that great and they have had SO MANY issues with quality. (Very un Toyota!) This is GM's time! New-Camaro, Silverado, Volt, Enclave, Grand Prix, and Malibu! I think GM is getting there mojo back even with biased media still they took the crown!

Well I wouldn't say its just a revolution at Saturn but GM on a whole, cause they went out on a limb and made a great car, and the Camry is the same thing year after year with enough styling to sell it but nothing to be like what is that?! and I think that critics are just finally tired of driving the same Camry for all these years that once something great from un-suspected company hit them they ran with it.

Hopefully though the new 6 speed is more reliable than the first 4-sppeds were in 1981 like in my Bonneville. I worry a bit since its so new. I think if I got an Aura I would lease it like the Equinox so I am not stuck long term with a first year vehicle and some of the trouble that can come with it.

Well I wouldn't say its just a revolution at Saturn but GM on a whole, cause they went out on a limb and made a great car, and the Camry is the same thing year after year with enough styling to sell it but nothing to be like what is that?! and I think that critics are just finally tired of driving the same Camry for all these years that once something great from un-suspected company hit them they ran with it.

Bingo.

It's not that the Camry is pure utter crap, it's just unimpressive as a whole. Fit and finish/interior materials don't seem any better(or actually worse?) than the last generation and it's pretty much just an evolutionary car in terms of performance. Nothing spectacular here. For the Aura, it's like a cold burst of wind hit them smack in the face. "That car is from GM? Wait, that's a Saturn?" Not to downplay the Aura's capabilities, but it's the wow factor that helped the Aura win even if it isn't a jack of all trades car. That's how it won and that's why I wasn't surprised when the Saturn was the one chosen for the award.

As for the Silvy, what else would you have chosen? The interior is just beautiful for a truck...

I was thrilled to find this out!!! :globe:

You KNOW I"m busy when I'm MIA long enough to hear about this

from a co-worker before I read it here. XP called me up yesterday

like "you still alive?" I said sure, just busy and his response was

that if I was MIA for even a month, no big deal but if I'm not on

C&G in like 3/4 days he gets worried. :P

Edited by Sixty8panther

I'm pretty sure for every ONE award GM "buys" Toyota has a closet full. <_<