GM's Design Drive Hits the Road

GM's Design Drive Hits the Road
By refreshing its lineup with new interiors, the No. 1 carmaker aims to win over consumers with quality and fend off its rival for the top spot, Toyota
by Matt Vella
Link to Original Article @ BusinessWeek

Posted Image

The 2008 STS' revised, SLS-inspired interior?

Kate Zak, General Motors' director of global component strategy, stands under moody spotlights in front of three disembodied steering wheels, talking about the importance of a proper "handshake." The interactions in question—the tactile experience of hands on a gear shift, a windshield wiper stalk, or a steering wheel—are minute, and, it turns out, inextricably linked to drivers' impressions of a car's overall quality. "We've found that these handshake components—their feel, their sound, their actuation—really are for customers an indicator for the entire vehicle, windows of insight into the car," says Zak.

After inviting the small group of journalists with whom she's speaking to poke and prod the steering wheels behind her, she moves on to another set of dislocated auto components in a dim room punctuated by design displays swathed in contrapuntal light. The traveling salon is part of a GM (GM) campaign to put its designers—and the work inside the Warren (Mich.) Design Center—front and center.

The company is trying to show that it too knows how to innovate, and that the products of a long-term, design-driven revitalization are at last ready for prime time. Dave Rand, GM's executive director of interior design, says, "We don't have to keep making promises, we feel we have something we can show."

Countering Rivals with Style

Posted Image
Steering wheels are a key element of the “handshake”—the subtle physical interaction a driver has with a car that adds to the overall impression of the vehicle. These prototypes of steering wheels also help designers tease out the different brand characteristics of GM's many nameplates.

The world's biggest auto maker is in a highly publicized dogfight with Toyota, a company with a sterling reputation for innovation as well surging sales that could catapult it into the No. 1 position globally sometime this year. That leaves GM and its stable of eight auto brands warring on two related fronts: the first, staving off Japanese competition while attempting to cut costs at its varied divisions, which range from Saturn to Hummer; the second, fighting for relevance and quality in the eyes of consumers.

Now the company has begun showing products aimed at clawing back lost territory. A new version of Cadillac's flagship sports sedan, for example, features a "cut-and-sew" process by which coverings on the instrument panel, center console, and door trim are cut, sewn, and wrapped by hand, allowing for sartorial flourishes such as French stitching. It's the kind of detailing light years away from recent GM products. "We've learned the difference between what is expensive and what looks expensive," says Rand.

According to Rand, these new products stem from a corporate edict issued four years ago by Bob Lutz, the company's vice-chairman for global product development. The Lutz decree elevated design at large to primary status, increasing its budget and giving designers more power in decision-making. Additionally, the initiative gave equal importance to exterior and interior design—a first for the company, since the latter had previously been subordinate to body design. "We were extremely liberated," says Rand.

"Black Tie" Components

Posted Image
Designers take cues from jewelry when it comes to key fobs, the remote controls that can unlock doors and even start vehicles from a distance. They pay special attention to a fob's weight, aiming to give it a luxurious heft without making the piece a burden to carry.

Rand and his design team went to work, charged with transforming the company's interiors. Many GM products had been maligned by auto analysts and consumers for being seas of sexless hard plastics and flimsy components. Taking cues from furniture, jewelry, and graphic design, the GM team started with the basics: audio and climate controls, instrument clusters, seats, and even keys.

The first generation of new dash components—knobs, switches, buttons, and radio and climate controls—was dubbed "black tie," as in elegant and goes with everything. These elements—not the dashboard forms themselves but the components that populate them—could be used in Cadillac models as well as less expensive Chevrolets.

The idea, according to Zak, was to give components a weight and level of detailing noticeably more refined than previous products, and to distribute those improvements across the company's many brands.

Working with suppliers, the designers were able to develop a set of radio and climate controls that were more attractive but could be used in multiple models.

The resulting pieces are subtle examples of interaction design. Instead of being fabricated out of one piece of hard plastic, knobs that turn on a vehicle's headlamps, for instance, were made to have multiple components. The textured track where the fingers grip the knob gives it a heavy, well-built feeling. That particular component currently populates the dashboards of certain Cadillac, Chevrolet, and Saturn models.

Seats with an Aura

Posted Image
Dashboards are increasingly hosting “infotainment,” the various screens and gadgets that entertain passengers and provide information, from the current radio station to driving directions. This futuristic concept dash incorporates a GPS navigation device as well as a media player.

Seats were another area of focus. Jim Gasparotto, creative designer for color and trim, says inspiration comes from the fabrics used in home furnishings, which display more flair and personality than the habitual gray or black of most car interiors. Gassparotto helped develop deep tan seats with high-quality textures and detailed stitching for the new Saturn Aura, released last year. "Seats are one of the most important components," he says. "They're often the first thing you notice when you open the doors, and they create first impressions."

The company says that of customers buying Auras with leather seating, 30% are choosing Gasparotto's sexy but unconventional Morocco Brown package. For the designer, that's a gratifying statistic, especially since many auto journalists suspected the option would never make it to dealer showrooms.

Designers are still working on GM's key fobs, the miniature remote controls attached to most new car keys. "A key fob is statement, the only component that walks away from the car," says Zak. "In the past, we've had very utilitarian key fobs that work but don't take advantage of the branding opportunity. Our goal is for those to become a conversation piece."

Backslapping Begins

Posted Image
Designers pay close attention to texture, particularly on the most touched component—the steering wheel. The feel of a steering wheel has proven to influence opinions of the driving experience. This prototype steering wheel for Buick features multiple textures including brushed steel.

Zak showed development prototypes of fobs that play with form and functionality, blocks of clear, shaped resin and wood, some oval and rounded, others sharp and high-tech looking. Designers, she says, are taking a page from jewelers and makers of high-end watches that are meticulously weighted to feel luxurious and substantial in hand.

The company's efforts have already started paying off. New interiors from the Cadillac, Chevrolet, and Pontiac divisions picked up numerous accolades at last year's Interior of the Year awards held annually by Ward's. And the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado pickup and Saturn Aura sedan were named North American truck and car of the year, respectively, at the North American International Auto Show in January. Both vehicles feature the "black tie" generation of components.

Industry analysts have also been impressed. The recently debuted 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, a high-volume sedan likely to cost around $20,000, stole the Detroit show with an interior crafted to dazzle. That model combines components from other GM models with seats similar to those now popular in the Aura but adds a cabin sculpted like an airline cockpit and an available set of unusual but evocative two-tone color combinations.

Coming Attraction

Posted Image
These key fobs, already available with some Cadillac models, are part of a new generation designed to start conversations. Key fobs are the only vehicle component besides the keys themselves that wander away from cars. GM thinks these could serve as free advertising—if their designs are striking enough.

"It's incredible," says Erich Merkle, director of forecasting at IRN, a Grand Rapids (Mich.)-based automotive research group. "That interior just blows away expectations. I expect it to have a huge effect."

"It certainly looks like a tremendous value for the price," says Jesse Toprak, executive director of industry analysis at Edmunds.com. "It looks like a $40,000 Lexus inside."

Reviews like that are music to GM's ears, no doubt. But designers at the salon had one more piece of work to show off that won't be available until later this year. In the corner of GM's exhibit sat one of four preproduction Cadillac CTS sport sedans. The new version of that vehicle is the first to feature a host of the design lab's next-generation developments.

The CTS's interior is intended as another drastic leap forward. Unlike the "black tie" dash components, the audio and climate control systems are designed to be customizable on a model-by-model and cabin-by-cabin basis. Controls, for instance, can be designed and distributed independently of each other, not having to be a part of a commonly defined layout.

Ready for Reaction

Posted Image
Much of what shows up in concept renderings rarely makes it into production vehicles. Here, designers use renderings to play with space and organization. This setup is intended to provide more utility in the baseboards of a vehicle's trunk.

That allows designers to create sweeping surfaces with integrated buttons and knobs more appropriate to the style of each car. That process adds cost, admits Rand, but he and other executives believe the improvements in quality are worth it. "Here, the layout is much more subdominant to the overall themes of the cabin," notes Zak. "That allows us, in this case, to create a sense of spaciousness and sportiness."

The fruits of GM's new interior-design initiative are now either just hitting dealer lots or on the production line. It remains to be seen how sales and quality perceptions are affected, and that has left Rand's designers working fervently on future interiors with one ear cocked to catch industry and consumer reaction. "We didn't really have a choice," says Rand, referring in part to the directive from the top but also to the damage low-quality interiors had done to the company's reputation, "but I'm glad we're here now."

Posted Image
Another area in which GM designers have made big leaps is ambient cabin lighting. New vehicles take cues from recessed lightings in luxury homes, incorporating subtle sources of light throughout car cabins. Here, a prototype blinker stalk sports a small light to make it easy to locate in the dark.

Posted Image
The adoption of integrated cameras into vehicles is taking more time than some HAD predicted. Common are cameras that give drivers a clearer view of what's behind them—think hulking SUVs—but this prototype rearview mirror shows how video could be incorporated into slide-out LCDs.

This is an awesome article, and definitely forecasts a bright future.

It's good to see the STS getting the SLS interior as well.

That's cool, but I'll be impressed when they stop using the "black tie" and better integrate more of their center stacks in things besides the CTS.

Did you read this part?...

In the corner of GM's exhibit sat one of four preproduction Cadillac CTS sport sedans. The new version of that vehicle is the first to feature a host of the design lab's next-generation developments.

The CTS's interior is intended as another drastic leap forward. Unlike the "black tie" dash components, the audio and climate control systems are designed to be customizable on a model-by-model and cabin-by-cabin basis. Controls, for instance, can be designed and distributed independently of each other, not having to be a part of a commonly defined layout.

I want that Buick FOB now. It's at least on par with the new Cadillac's black FOB. A very interesting read, definitely encouraging to consumers everywhere. It's always good to know GM is keeping design a high priority, a must if you want to survive in this business.

Glad to see the car designers, not the accountants, are having their way. Cool keys, felt-lined gloveboxes, damped hinges, rubberized controls, tactile steering wheels, ambient interior lighting, refined turn signal sounds, door slam thunks, and polished trunk/hood struts alone sell VW/Audis.

This is an EXCELLENT read! It looks like GM is doing EVERYTHING right!!!

I can't wait till we see some more of this in production! I would LOVE to see division specific steering wheels instead of the generic wheels of today. I also think the key fobs are an area that could have HUGE pay off.

Now if we could just get GM to bring back the chrome-bar-horn in Chevrolets (Think Bel Air concept)

That Buick fob looks like it costs as much as a high-end watch. Very nice, indeed, along with the possible Buick steering wheel. Hopefully Buick will have more than one vehicles (Enclave) that actually matches the design and luxury of it. The lighted windshield wiper stalk is a great idea and the (possible) 2008 STS interior is such a step up from what we have now.

That comment about the Malibu made me laugh, though. How much did GM pay Edmunds to say that? Maybe the writer thought he was talking about the Malibu when he really was talking about the GMT900 or Lambda interiors?

this stuff is looking great,

a note though: i think it'd be great to see 3 majorly different steering wheels, 2 spoke (possible low-middle end) , 3 spoke(middle or sport models) and 4 spoke (for high-end) would be very cool

I will agree I am GM fan. But being an automotive fan in general, I have to say that GM has been impressing me with their innovations lately.

While the Japsco Inc. (although I will excuse Honda) are trying not to run off their tried and tested path, GM is innovating and pushing the limits. Like the BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY.

HERR! GM

No matter how much GM re-designs their interriors the media will still continue to dog them. GM has to come up with a way to bring people to them. They really need to be able to sway peoples opinions that they CAN build good looking reliable cars. People will continue to buy Toyotas as long a Consumer Reports tells them too.

I have always said the future of GM can be bright they just have to get serious now they our... And look Lexus/Benz stuff, the Lucerne/DTS were the first cars that gave me faith (the interiors) and now the Malibu, Camaro, Enclave and G8 have renewed my faith in GM. (Oh duh and the GMT-900's!) I love the new Caddy key fob I think it is standard in the DTS, at least the website I has a highlight on its remote-start.

I want to know where the illuminated cup holders are. Also, who wouldnt want a fridge for a glove box? Anyone else agree. This article is definetely a step in the right direction.

did anyone else notice what is probably going to be the production Camaro Steering wheel in the rack? Behind it at the bottom you can see the concept steering wheel in the photo backround...I would be willing to bet that we are looking at what many of us will be shaking hands with in the future! I agree with the fob design for the Buick being one really cool piece! The lighting concepts are pretty sweet as well.

boy, that guy who came out of retirement to head GM PR dept again sure is doing a great job. GM is really starting to become a PR machine. In good ways.

its nice that they brag about the cool new caddy dashes but we still have the same crappy parts bin stuff in too many new cars including the new 08 malibu.

how bout making the fob that also doubles as usb flash drive that you plug into a puter and open a program and use the program to customize the operator preferences of the car? i.e. which programmable button is for what, etc.

That STS dash looks awesome and that other mock dash is phenomenal. Lets wait to see which of those make light of day.

Here's a little something to bring us all back to reality.

Posted Image

boy, that guy who came out of retirement to head GM PR dept again sure is doing a great job. GM is really starting to become a PR machine. In good ways.

its nice that they brag about the cool new caddy dashes but we still have the same crappy parts bin stuff in too many new cars including the new 08 malibu.

how bout making the fob that also doubles as usb flash drive that you plug into a puter and open a program and use the program to customize the operator preferences of the car? i.e. which programmable button is for what, etc.

That STS dash looks awesome and that other mock dash is phenomenal. Lets wait to see which of those make light of day.

Here's a little something to bring us all back to reality.

Posted Image

Dude! That was like your girlfriend or wife mentioning your mother during sex! Way to kill the mood! :AH-HA_wink:

did anyone else notice what is probably going to be the production Camaro Steering wheel in the rack? Behind it at the bottom you can see the concept steering wheel in the photo backround...I would be willing to bet that we are looking at what many of us will be shaking hands with in the future! I agree with the fob design for the Buick being one really cool piece! The lighting concepts are pretty sweet as well.

I saw that too. Note there is not emblem on it and I sure once it is the car it will have one.

The future at times is right infront of use and if you are not careful you can miss it.

Great article!

I like the fact that there is an initiative to be a leader in interior quality - now let's see some more follow-through!

However, I'm not a big fan of key fobs, and wish they'd integrate the key & buttons into one unit - similar to VW, Audi, et al. Less stuff on the keychain you know what I mean? And they talk about fobs as an advertising piece - look at what VW's innovative key has done. Try something like that...

Ambient lighting is a fairly new automotive feature that is still a bit on the gimmicky side. Designers have still got to work on placement/color/intensity. Recently drove the new MDX (which is absolutely amazing to drive BTW) which had small, blue lighting in the footwells. Footwells? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Lighting the stalks, door handles, and other controls does, as well as lighting certain jewelry pieces or points of design interest.

Again, great article and very promising of GM interiors of the future.

However, I'm not a big fan of key fobs, and wish they'd integrate the key & buttons into one unit - similar to VW, Audi, et al. Less stuff on the keychain you know what I mean? And they talk about fobs as an advertising piece - look at what VW's innovative key has done. Try something like that...

Really? I'm actually glad GM doesn't integrate the fob and key into one. I see people set thier keys down on the counter all the time when I am working my second job. I always think how cheezy and bulky looking they are. I guess there is a potential to do it well, I just don't like what is out there currently. The prototype Buick one looks totally amazing.

The ambient lighting is pretty sweet looking too. I like the lighted turn signal stalk. I like the lighted interior door handles on the 08 Malibu as well.

I want that Buick FOB now. It's at least on par with the new Cadillac's black FOB. A very interesting read, definitely encouraging to consumers everywhere. It's always good to know GM is keeping design a high priority, a must if you want to survive in this business.

I want that Buick fob too! I stared at it for 5 minutes, just looking at it. Also, the steering wheel shown with the Buick emblem in the first pic with many steering wheels should be the brand's wheel. It's classy, and looks rich; perfect for Buick! The article was a great read (had to do it twice). This attention to detail is just what GM needs to continue to address. The black tie controls are a good stop gap, having the console buttons seperated and spread all over is worth the time and money; it's the number one issue GM needs to work on. All to often, I hear critics (of both GM and Ford) mention the interchangable corporate radio and climate controls that fit neatly into a standard black square.

It's a great time to be a GM fanatic. Good stuff is on its way.

Finally, for the first time in three decades GM is making a

100% stride forward in almost every category.

i want to be able to log onto the internet and remote start my vehicle. or locate it. or check the status of certain things (i.e. interior temperature etc., see if the engine is running, etc.). I want to be able to open my sunroof through the internet or with my fob. I know that trick fob GM had on display a couple months ago could do that. I want to check my gas level from the internet. I want to turn on my heated seats from the internet.

i want to be able to log onto the internet and remote start my vehicle. or locate it. or check the status of certain things (i.e. interior temperature etc., see if the engine is running, etc.). I want to be able to open my sunroof through the internet or with my fob. I know that trick fob GM had on display a couple months ago could do that. I want to check my gas level from the internet. I want to turn on my heated seats from the internet.

and i wanna find out how to control my friends cars from the internet! so i can open the sunroof while its raining, turn on the heated seats in 100 degree weather and start their car randomly :scratchchin:

Looks great. GM should do this just so we never have to hear that american cars have crappy interiors..

Personally I don't give a crap about the interior but just that I would never have to hear that complaint by the media or "foreign" car lovers would be money well spent.

Smart move since many people rightly feel the interior is among the most important aspect of ownership...

and it has its merits without a doubt...

Make quality feeling interiors and those "foreign car" lovers might make the switch and add to the bottom line..

its cheaper than rebates too.

I like the Bonneville dash too... minus the white faced guages in the pic shown (yuk).

Don't worry mine are the halloween ones. Orange/Red over black I like them lite up a night alot, they look sweet. H*ll I love my Bonneville SLE I paid dear for it. (Actually it was an excellent deal but still was expensive!)

Sorry, Reg, but a nut was not busted.

I like some of the GXP touches, such as the carbon fibre inserts and aluminum trim here and there, but the silver-faced gauges are lousy. You can see all the idiot lamp cutouts because they were clearly designed to be transparent on the original black-faced cluster. That, and the UltraLux suede inserts which I just do not like. SSEis were originally trimmed with Genuine Connolly leather seats, the same Connolly that supplied leather to Aston Martin, Jaguar, RR, and contracted to the British Parliament until the 2003 model year when Oldsmobile Aurora seats were used (both because the Aurora was ending production and Connolly shuttered in 2002). I can attest that after nearly seven years and 120k+ miles in the Florida, these seats show extremely little wear and are still very soft and comfortable.

Posted Image

Melted plastic with 4 million buttons and 40 vents! w00t! Thank god those days are over.

Still, just because teh "black tie" stereo "goes with everything" doesn't mean it had to go in everything. Hopefully they start integrating more.

I know the interior in your Dodge isn't any better. I bet the engine isn't either. Is that a 2.7L DOHC V6? They have had lots of problems. I will stick with my torque happy 3800! If you are making fun of the Bonneville interior I will make fun of your bolt on hub-caps on steel wheels. I will get nasty if I need too. Actually I like my Bonneville and its driver-orientated interior (sp) and its wonderful exterior styling even the 17inch N89 chrome wheels. So just watch what you say...

I will make fun of your spaceship if I need too. (I mean Dodge)

Here is a comparison.

Posted Image

Edited by gm4life