Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

The end of the "black-tie era" is near

49 posts in this topic

Some info I have received seems to indicate this, at least in the Lambdas. Expect the Chevy Lambda to launch without a black tie radio, and expect all '09 MY Lambdas to not have black-ties. I would still expect the '09 Malibu to have it most likely, but the phase out is certainly starting. So, for new '09 MY and up vehicles, expect none to have black tie radios. :thumbsup:

----------------

Click here to see what the future holds for GM's post-blacktie era radios. Integration, here we come!

-Flybrian

What is a black tie radio. Sorry to sound like an idot. (I can be good at that tho!)

What is a black tie radio. Sorry to sound like an idot. (I can be good at that tho!)

The GM black tie radio is the radio that is in basically every new GM product out right now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

GM has blacktie radios from everything to cobalt to the Escalade

with execptions being the utility vans, i think the uplanders, and equinox(maybe refresh might have given new radios)

At least the black tie radios looked good . I love the one in my cobalt ss .

Hopefully the new stuff really truely is more integrated and unique looking .

Problem is GM needs a radio for each brand. At least change the outside cover a bit like Mazda did and does but no from Buick to Saab to Chevy they all look the same. Sad!

At least the black tie radios looked good . I love the one in my cobalt ss .

Hopefully the new stuff really truely is more integrated and unique looking .

the current ones were pretty good... always easy for customers to use... featured 6sets of 6 presets, for a total of 36 saved radio stations, mix-match AM FM XM radio, often times, matted with a 6 cd changer in dash, very user friendly, with large centered crome accented volume control, and without marking most users automatically found the manual adjust for the antenna frequency. Most people really appreciated them, as well as being very well lit up... but i think the new Buick lacross features a different radio design and maybe this is a preview of what we will see in future GM vehicles

Problem is GM needs a radio for each brand. At least change the outside cover a bit like Mazda did and does but no from Buick to Saab to Chevy they all look the same. Sad!

even the escalade looked the same as the cobalt...

What is the big knob in the middle? volume? The most recent GM rentals I drove had older style radios..('05 Grand Prix, '04 Impala, '05 Monte Carlo).

LaCrosse never had the Black Tie and never will :P

Posted Image

I never understood what was so offensive about them....

They look fine to me, lots of functionality and features.. other mfgrs have also had a common head unit shared amongst many models..Chrysler did it also--everything from the Intrepid to the Viper used the unit that's in my Grand Cherokee...

Though a premium brand like Cadillac should at least have bespoke knobs and trim on the head unit..

I kinda liked the "black Ties".....THough As long as it is a good radio.....

The "black tie" radios are a great design, it seems there are only 2 problems with them, and neither has to do with the radio itself exactly:

-it's not integrated, you can see a rectangle around it

-it's in everything

At least they didn't design a crappy radio & put it in everything. lol

What is the big knob in the middle? volume? The most recent GM rentals I drove had older style radios..('05 Grand Prix, '04 Impala, '05 Monte Carlo).

It is the volume...pressing it will turn the radio on or off.

The black ties are very easy to use but their time has come...I'm tired of seeing them from everything from an Aveo to a 9-3...I look forward to integration.

The best use of the black tie radio that made it look integrated is the Saturn Sky

Posted Image

I like the black ties but they need to have variety to them, or at least make them look like they go with the vehicle. My SAAB 9-5 possibly has the worst black tie integration I have ever seen!

Black-ties vary in their quality and integration. The buttons on the 9-5's seem better damped and higher grade than, say, the Cobalt's. And the SKY and the Acadia (those with climate control) integrate them pretty damn well.

Posted Image

Without climate control:

Posted Image

Edited by empowah

I like the idea of an "old" fashion radio. It makes it easier to replace later. Though I do agree the integrated one in the CTS looks MUCH better, I prefer the option of replacement when the car gets older.

It is the volume...pressing it will turn the radio on or off.

Posted Image

In that photo, it looks like the volume is the knob at the top right (looks like a volume symbol on it). I'm talking about the big button in the center...a tuning knob?

I like the radio but I do not like the flat finish . It looks cheapo.

In that photo, it looks like the volume is the knob at the top right (looks like a volume symbol on it). I'm talking about the big button in the center...a tuning knob?

Big button is Volume, On/Off. The button with the musical note is the tuner.

post-3792-1191416953_thumb.jpg

It's a good looking head unit, but since integrated is the wave of the future :rolleyes:, GM better adopt it so the critics have one less thing to pick at.

Why is/was it called the "black tie?" Something I've always wondered about...

Why is/was it called the "black tie?" Something I've always wondered about...

Maybe because some versions of it have a shiny black ('piano black') finish?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0