GM @ NYIAS: Solstice Coupe

solstice-coupe-1.jpg

solstice-coupe-5.jpg

solstice-coupe-3.jpg

solstice-coupe-9.jpg

solstice-coupe-6.jpg

solstice-coupe-2.jpg

solstice-coupe-7.jpg

Looks great... it's a very clever use of existing sheetmetal, and it doesn't look as if they merely tacked on a hard roof shell.

PONTIAC UNVEILS 2009 SOLSTICE COUPE

Hardtop Extends Appeal of Classic Design

NEW YORK – Drawing inspiration from classic sports cars, the 2009 Pontiac Solstice coupe was created for drivers who appreciate both dramatic styling and balanced performance. Unveiled at the New York Auto Show as a GXP model, the Solstice coupe builds on the success of the convertible model while offering a greater range of all-season driving opportunities.

For drivers still wanting an open-air experience, the coupe also features a removable roof panel, fully opening the cockpit to all of the sensations of the road.

"Today's Solstice is the top-selling roadster in the U.S., and we believe this new model has even broader appeal," said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. "The coupe has all the design cues and pleasing performance of the original roadster, and is an all-season alternative for people who enjoy open-air driving."

The coupe is expected to arrive in Pontiac dealerships in early 2009.

The making of a coupe

The new coupe was inspired by the Solstice coupe concept shown at the North American International Auto Show in 2002. True to the concept, it is a modern sports car with classic lines. The roofline has a "fastback" shape with stylized "rails" that run from the front of the roof to the rear, culminating in a stylish and functional ducktail-style rear spoiler.

The coupe's roof is fixed aft of the B-pillars, with side windows and a rear liftglass for access to the cargo area. The roof panel is easily removed from the passenger compartment, and an optional soft roof cover stores in the cargo area. A home storage case for the roof panel will be offered through GM Accessories.

Engineering the design

Despite its dramatic new look, engineers made only minor structural changes to create the Solstice coupe. The rear fenders and rear fascia are the same as those on the convertible. New taillight assemblies flow more smoothly into the tapered roofline.

"The Solstice coupe represents a major collaboration of design and engineering," said Bruce Kosbab, chief engineer. "The sleek lines of the new roof give the car a fresh appearance, yet only minimal changes were made to the body structure – it's a great example of building on an already solid foundation."

Lightweight structure

The roof's structure was strengthened with additional support elements, including an aluminum roof bow attached with aluminum brackets. The bow and brackets are stiff, yet low in mass, a design feature that pervades the coupe's overall construction. The roof includes a lightweight sheet molding compound cover affixed to a rigid aluminum frame for additional lightweight support. A lightweight magnesium roof panel frame weighs just 31 pounds (14.2 kg) and can be removed by one person. The cover is also made of sheet molding compound.

Powertrain and suspension

Because the change to a coupe body style resulted in only a slight increase in curb weight, no drivetrain or suspension changes were necessary to shift from the convertible body structure. Initial tests have shown that the Solstice coupe will deliver ride and handling, acceleration, braking and fuel economy comparable to the convertible model.

The coupe is powered by a standard 2.4L Ecotec four-cylinder engine that generates 173 horsepower (129 kW), while the GXP version is equipped with a 2.0L turbocharged Ecotec engine with 260 horsepower (194 kW).

Interior additions

Much of the coupe's interior remains the same as that of the convertible. However, the area behind the seats was redesigned for easy access to the cargo area, and a storage tray was mounted directly behind the headrests.

Removing the folding-top mechanism made way for a new, flat cargo floor and several storage compartments. The cargo area's covered bins provide secure storage for smaller items. Cargo tie-down hooks help secure irregularly shaped items.

Edited by empowah

How tall are you?

6' or so (perhaps 6'1" with shoes). There didn't seem to be a lot of room in the 'vert Solstice, but I guess there isn't any more room in it with the top up than there will be in the targa so maybe I'll fit.

EDIT: There's an inch less headroom in the targa than the coupe. 38.4 vs 37.4. GTO is listed at 37.3 though so maybe I'd be fine.

6' or so (perhaps 6'1" with shoes). There didn't seem to be a lot of room in the 'vert Solstice, but I guess there isn't any more room in it with the top up than there will be in the targa so maybe I'll fit.

EDIT: There's an inch less headroom in the targa than the coupe. 38.4 vs 37.4. GTO is listed at 37.3 though so maybe I'd be fine.

I'm 6 ft, and I fit in it, however I don't remember what the seat setting was, at the time. I'm attracted to this car, but being I will be 39 in June, I can just hear my wife now saying this is my mid-life crisis car, and I refuse to go down that road just yet.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I love the Z4 coupe, and M coupe, they are just my kind of car and they look so good and so sporty and so small and crazy, and that is so me. And this is definitely a great alternative to them. This revitalizes the lower half of the bodylines thanks to really attractive roofline. Wonder why they decided to go with the spoiler? Love the wheels, love the rear window, and you just gotta love the idea of newfound practicality for Solstice, a coupe- look and an open-air experience. Certainly a unique car that serves an underserved segment. This will help keep the buzz at Pontiac for the show. Now if only they had updated the interior as well. But we can only ask for so much :). the price will be good on this one regardless, there should be lines for this.

Edited by turbo200

wow... beautiful!! almost Bill Thomas Cheetah-esque in the profile

This is Pontiac. The purest, cleanest, sexiest, most romantic, athletic and perfect expression of Pontiac styling in decades. Beautiful. For a weekend trip, slip off the hardtop and leave it in the garage, attach the soft top. Drop off your suitcase at the hotel, stow the soft top in the load area, and you're ready to cruise. Very complete package. I. want. one. I think I might stay home from work today and just stare at these pictures. :wub::drool::bowdown:

It will be tricky getting into this car, I've stood next to it scratching my head wondering how many tall people will bang their heads on the roof, without the roof on it won't be a problem. I am short(5'6)so I am lucky in a sense getting into this car.

The perfect triumph of form over functionality.

Yes, much like the smart roadster targa. I think the lines on this car are beautiful, but I hope that the driving dynamics, interior functionality (usable cupholders, better plastics), and fuel economy are improved.

What no bitching???

Let me start then. Why would a coupe increase the weight over the convertible? That defies the logic, as coupe is already structurally rigid compared to the convertible. Hence, it does not need added reinforcement to increase its rigidity. I was thinking it to be at least 40-50 lb lighter than the drop top. :P

In seriousness this may just be Cayman and Z4 beater for that price. Its performance (GXP) will even have 350Z peeing in pants. Kappa is already a rigid platform. So with coupe characteristics, this thing will dance in the corners. A very good affordable racer. Good job GM.

What no bitching???

Let me start then. Why would a coupe increase the weight over the convertible? That defies the logic, as coupe is already structurally rigid compared to the convertible. Hence, it does not need added reinforcement to increase its rigidity. I was thinking it to be at least 40-50 lb lighter than the drop top. :P

It's heavier because this is a convertible with the coupe upper added ..if you look closely at the pics, you can see the seams where the coupe upper mates to the convertible quarter panels..I assume the rear upper structure is a plugin that fits where the decklid and boot of the convertible were. When it's the other way around, (i.e. a coupe from which a convertible is derived, then the coupe weighs less).

It's heavier because this is a convertible with the coupe upper added ..if you look closely at the pics, you can see the seams where the coupe upper mates to the convertible quarter panels..I assume the rear upper structure is a plugin that fits where the decklid and boot of the convertible were. When it's the other way around, (i.e. a coupe from which a convertible is derived, then the coupe weighs less).

Agreed, but you do not need the heavier torsional rigidity bars which run along sides on a convertible in a coupe.

Cayman was derived from Boxter. Yet it is lighter compared to Boxter.

Agreed, but you do not need the heavier torsional rigidity bars which run along sides on a convertible in a coupe.

Cayman was derived from Boxster. Yet it is lighter compared to Boxster.

I assume GM didn't unstiffen the platform and simply added the roof. Hence, it's heavier. And remember, it's a targa, not a full roof. So it needs to be as stiff as possible..

Edited by moltar

I assume GM didn't unstiffen the platform and simply added the roof. Hence, it's heavier. And remember, it's a targa, not a full roof. So it needs to be as stiff as possible..

If you compare the structural rigidities of Coupe, Targa and Convertible at equal weights. Assuming 1 for structural rigidity for coupes, the targa and convertible is about 0.95 and 0.8 respectively. The reason Targa closer to the coupe's rigidity compared to being in between is because the existence of the B pillar makes it a rigid structure. The addition of permanent roof (coupe) to the Targa makes the structure more indeterminate thus more rigid. Hence, even if it is a Targa, the weight should go.

I would still prefer a fully fixed roof a la the concept, but that one caveat aside, beautiful job GM!

This is now the smallest car I love.

+1. One of the most enticing concept of modern times. No doubt it is a very good execution.

+1. One of the most enticing concept of modern times. No doubt it is a very good execution.

I can't wait to see it in person. I wonder if I would be able to fit comfortably and see out with the roof on, though..the side windows seem quite small.

I would still prefer a fully fixed roof a la the concept, but that one caveat aside, beautiful job GM!

This is now the smallest car I love.

isn't this set up a la 'vette?

I like it... still look slik eit belongs there instead of an after thought

I'm 5'9''......and can BARELY get comfortable behind the wheel of a Solstice/SKY......but once there, I fit fine.

The only gripe I see is that it looks like it will be a bitch to climb into, ducking under the roof.....

Other than that, this car is hot.....strangely, I can see myself owning one of these WAY more than the roadster (and I'm a big convertible fan.) Perhaps one of the biggest advantages is the (slightly) more useable trunk area.....makes the car a bit more practical.

SO.....this thing has two roofs? A body-color metal panel.....and a soft-cloth-type targa section?

I'm 5'9''......and can BARELY get comfortable behind the wheel of a Solstice/SKY......but once there, I fit fine.

The only gripe I see is that it looks like it will be a bitch to climb into, ducking under the roof.....

Yes...I once rode in a Lotus Elise with the top on...it was painful getting in/out (I'm 6'0"). This looks like it would be about as tight....

SO.....this thing has two roofs? A body-color metal panel.....and a soft-cloth-type targa section?

Looks like it... maybe an option. It doesn't look like the metal panel would fit in the 'trunk' area, though.

I like it. I do wish the side windows were a bit taller, it looks like visibility may be an issue. At first I wished there was a little more trunk like the convertible has, but this looks better than the hard top from Transformers. They can kill off the G5 now.

I read somewhere this thing is going to be sold late next year.

What excuse GM has in brining this out so late? Are they running out of engineers to perform tests? How much testing does this need to justify the need?

GM needs to hurry. It works like Senate here.

I've found a whole new reason to love the Solstice. This car, let it be said, is sort of a true poor man's Porsche. Parallels with the 911, Boxster, and Cayman models are quite numerous. It also has a lot of parallels to the Corvette as well. This will be one of the best cars for under thirty-grand.

Interesting. It looks quite nice and aggressive, with the exception of the oddly shaped back window. I like the stance and the short side windows. What is up with the trunk? Is that all the storage you get? What is taking up the rest of the area, the soft top?

The perfect triumph of form over functionality.

QFT

I have to ask, and I am truly not trying to start any trouble here by saying this, but will Saturn get a coupe version of this for the SKY???

I'd like to see a closed Opel GT (the 1960's/1970's GT was a closed car), and that'd mean a closed Sky variant. Maybe the volume isn't there, but I'd like to see it happen...

Edited by ZL-1

In one of the articles I read, someone said no to the SKY targa due to some difference in the decklid between it and the Solstice. I am glad there is no SKY targa. It's about time GM gave Pontiac some love.

I read somewhere this thing is going to be sold late next year.

What excuse GM has in brining this out so late? Are they running out of engineers to perform tests? How much testing does this need to justify the need?

GM needs to hurry. It works like Senate here.

GM and the United States government. Indeed, there is very much in common seemingly in thier practices.