Traded in the red 2006 G6 GT for a...

Black 2008 G6 GT Street Edition

08_g6_1.jpg

08_g6_2.jpg

08_g6_3.jpg

I know everyone here hates it, but I really liked it and my wife (it's her car) loves it. I did not know that you could add it to the GT models, but apparently you can.

It has every option including the 18 inch rims and Stabili-track.

We had a black GT next to this GT and it looked so much meaner with the Street Edition stuff it.

Screw all you haters, we like it. :P

Yes. GM wizened up and does not offer it anymore. The only reason I went with the G6 again is that it has the normal sunroof which I have no problems with in the Malibu and they got rid of the horrific electric steering in the GTs. Those were the only two complaints (and they were MAJOR) that I had with the last one. My wife loved the G6 even with all its faults.

We went to the Chevy dealer and I had her test drive an HHR LT2 with the 2.4 and she didn't like that it was thinner, taller and slower than her G6. I asked her what she really wanted to keep (I bought this time instead of lease) and she said CTS. And I said that she better get a job at the Emperor's Club VIP to afford that. She then said she wanted another G6 and that's what we did.

That front-end works out better with the sedan than it does with the coupe, and with the subdued spoiler. (I think it works because the sedan is oddly proportioned, and so are those grilles. So I guess two negatives work to make a positive here, lol.) I saw a car similar to yours at a dealer in London, except it was the GX/P, and I thought that it didn't look so bad on the sedan in person. It's still not my thing though.

Congratulations on the new car, anyway, Avant. Best of luck with it! :)

I'm another who really doesn't mind the SE version nose- it's unique, which is worth a few points in my book right off the bat. The basic lines of the G6 are slick as is -I still think the car looks distinctive in base form- and the sedan body does wear the SE nose better than the coupe.

Dodgefan,

While the G8 is what I wanted to replace my Malibu, but $8,000 extra and higher finance rates and $3,000 dollars over sticker put the G8 out of the price range. Maybe in a few more years. I'm just saving up my $$ for a Camaro.

You are wise beyond your years. I think many will follow in your example to look for something else. Bravo for you for staying within GM! :AH-HA_wink:

Well Walt, you know the G6 and I will never be friends. :lol:

That said, congrats on the upgrade and on keeping your wife happy. The package really does look better on the sedan as everyone has been saying. And I do have a weakness for black cars.

When you post about your new Camaro, I won't even remember that you got this car. :AH-HA_wink:

Good luck with it!

Wow, I am disappointed with Pontiac and its dealers. My local (right around the corner) BPG dealership received their first G8 GT Sedan today (#274 of the 888 VIN editions). $31,3xx and then there's the wonderful "Market Price Adjustment" sticker showing a $3,000 over-sticker increase :rolleyes: Do these dealers never learn? First the GTO, then the Solstice, and now the G8. I could see to holding to MSRP; it's not like the first 888 are really that different. I am one who wants Pontiac to stay alive, but if the dealers continue with this raping of the customer on each new model to be introduced at Pontiac, then I won't stand in GM's way of closing down Pontiac :nono:

Wow, I am disappointed with Pontiac and its dealers. My local (right around the corner) BPG dealership received their first G8 GT Sedan today (#274 of the 888 VIN editions). $31,3xx and then there's the wonderful "Market Price Adjustment" sticker showing a $3,000 over-sticker increase :rolleyes: Do these dealers never learn? First the GTO, then the Solstice, and now the G8. I could see to holding to MSRP; it's not like the first 888 are really that different. I am one who wants Pontiac to stay alive, but if the dealers continue with this raping of the customer on each new model to be introduced at Pontiac, then I won't stand in GM's way of closing down Pontiac :nono:

it's an unfortunate by-product of greed & desperation. It's part of the death spiral when things start to go wrong for a retailer of any product...the need for huge profit on the rare hit overrides the longer term outlook of a customer's repeat biz & general ethics. Although this behavior is far from a Pontiac exclusive, you'd think the recent lesson with the GTO would have sunk in?

Nice! I don't know if you agree with or scoff at the "baby GP" comparison. For me, the similarities are many, though the G6 is more user-friendly, partly because of the size, seating position and the greenhouse. I've enjoyed the ones I've rented, most of which were V6 equipped. True to the Pontiac identity, their handling always inspires more confidence than that of its GM stablemates.

Hey, I like your treed New Jersey neighborhood but must there always be a white Monte Carlo lurking in the background?

Enjoy.

Very cool, actually. First "special" GT I've seen.

I'm iffy on the package looks, but my '08 Malibu driving mother dislikes the regular G6...and when she saw a new G6 GXP Street Package (hood scoops, big wing, and all, in red) simply said "Wow, what an improvement. I like that now."

So, it seems, women in particular like it more universally...or at least 2 of them do :AH-HA_wink:

True to the Pontiac identity, their handling always inspires more confidence than that of its GM stablemates.

Not really, in my opinion. The electronic steering in our G6 V6 made the front of the car feel slow, loose, and disconnected. It was akin to steering a boat and it seemingly handled like one.

Our Aura with traditional hydraulic steering is a much better handler than the G6 with electronic steering. The Aura feels precise and weighted in comparison to the G6. I am sorry, but that electronic steering system is not one of GM's better executed ideas.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The Cobalt was the only car I've driven where the steering felt unnatural. It was always weird...a strange disconnected feeling. I got used to it but every now and then I'd notice it. It was always refreshing to get back into my bigger car, whose steering is much better.

Just to make everyone aware, yes the electric steering was awful, but the 06-07 Malibu SS and all G6 GT and GXPs now have hydraulic.

The reason I went back to the G6 was that they dropped the electric steering on every model except for the cheapies.

You know, I had similar "odd" vibes with my '07 Malibu rental as far as random loose-tight-loose, etc. feeling and an overall arcade feel. Felt great in my typical around town driving, and really great manuevering around tight spaces, but could get screwy at speed. Not as horrible as I was expecting, though, and I loved the no hydraulic power drain, etc. when turning the wheel.

That said...mom's '08 Malibu 2.4L with it feels completely different, as does the same Aura 2.4L. More firm, crisp, and direct, and without any of the noticeable shifty feel of before and random looseness/tightness. Just great, and though it took a while, it's really well sorted out now. I prefer it to the hydraulic setup.

But how it was on the first Malibus and G6s...I completely understand your opinion of it :AH-HA_wink:

NOW, you just need the extra time and methods to keep that pure black not only clean but marring & swirl free :thumbsup:

NOW, you just need the extra time and methods to keep that pure black not only clean but marring & swirl free

Well, the curse bit with less than 200 miles driven. My wife was "bumped" at the Dunkin' Donuts drive thru (they f@#k you at the drive thru). Did $500 damage to the rear bumper. If Jersey didn't mandate that we need front license plates, the Isuzu wanna-be Colorado wouldn't have done the damage it did.

Oh well. I had a new car for 4 days anyway.

Yeah, good to see you Bob!

And that car looks good in black...as far as the drive through thing goesdon't feel too bad. Someone beat on a co-workers 4 day old HHR with a baseball bat, so it must be something in the water here or something.

Chris

Well, the curse bit with less than 200 miles driven. My wife was "bumped" at the Dunkin' Donuts drive thru (they f@#k you at the drive thru). Did $500 damage to the rear bumper. If Jersey didn't mandate that we need front license plates, the Isuzu wanna-be Colorado wouldn't have done the damage it did.

Oh well. I had a new car for 4 days anyway.

Sorry to hear that! You should leave Yankee Land, and come to Delaware, only 600,000 of us in the whole state and no sales tax. Home of tax free shopping! :AH-HA_wink: