Intrepidation

Opel Insignia unceremoniously revealed a week early

215 posts in this topic

The folks at AutoWeek.nl decided to take the wind out of Opel's sails by posting images of the new Insignia before it released official information later this week. We've seen the basic shape and several details of the Insignia when Opel sent out "official" spy shots of their new D-segment player (think Mondeo, Passat), but these newest pictures tell the whole tale, sans artful camouflage.

Due to hit dealers in Europe this October, the Insignia will replace the Vectra and come equipped with a handful of diesel- and gasoline-powered engines, ranging in displacement from 1.6- to 2.8-liters. Both 1.6-liter and a 2.0-liter turbocharged engines will be equipped in the entry level models, with a 250 hp, 2.8-liter V6 powering the range-topper. Diesel mills packing 1.9-liters of displacement and outputting 120 to 150 hp will also be offered, and there's also talk of a 180 hp, 1.9-liter turbo and a 2.9-liter V6 diesel.

The Insignia is relevant to those of us in the States since it will likely replace the Saturn Aura in the next few years. The styling is a slight step above Saturn's current sedan, with an attractive front clip and a rather dynamic swage line that begins aft of the front fender and runs parallel with the rocker panels.

The Opel Insignia will be publicly debuted at the London Motor Show this July and we should see a Saturn variant making its way to the U.S. sometime around the turn of the decade.

01_insignia_leak.jpg

02_insignia_leak.jpg

03_insignia_leak.jpg

05_insignia_leak.jpg

07_insignia_leak.jpg

Source: Autoblog

Edited by Dodgefan

Is it just me or does it look small?

No, it is small. Wheelbase is probably c 2750 mm (around 100 mm or 4" less than the Aura), and probably around 4.7 m long (about 8" or so less than the Aura).

No, it is small. Wheelbase is probably c 2750 mm (around 100 mm or 4" less than the Aura), and probably around 4.7 m long (about 8" or so less than the Aura).

I know it's not small, I think it's the greenhouse that makes it look like C-segment car.

Ok on the exterior, but that interior is HORRIBLE! I was hoping GM wouldn't follow honda & toyota on the over use of look alike buttons.

I think the interior looks great, as for buttons...if you own it you will learn how to use it.

Ok on the exterior, but that interior is HORRIBLE! I was hoping GM wouldn't follow honda & toyota on the over use of look alike buttons.

Don't worry, it'll probably be dumbed down for us 'Mericans....

That looks like a substantially more expensive car than it is. I know I'll probably get shouted down but the looks like what would be C-class or E-class in stature.

We are supposedly the most intelligent species on the planet, you'd think a few extra buttons wouldn't be enough to defeat our brains. BE SMARTER THAN THE BUTTONS!

Very nice design. It fails to light fire under my ass, but, nevertheless, it is attractive and quite handsome. The interior looks to be of a very nice caliber of quality.

I don't think the exterior is as stunning as we've been lead to believe, but IMO the interior looks exceptional.

Abysmal interior. So cheap-looking. Why the multiple panels along the side of the console/center stack? I see two poorly-fitted panels when one would appear to suffice. I know it's pre-pro, but interior fit and finish is abysmal.

I hope we get a different, less cheap-looking woodgrain trim. The Malibu interior looks much more upscale.

Center console looks very plasticky and cheap. Like looking at it, I don't want to rest my elbow on there. The charcoal-colored universal dash upper and door panels looks sterile and cheap. C'mon GM...if you're going to go for universal upper dashes and door panels, pick a color that isn't so drab.

Now, I like the exterior. The front looks very expensive, and the profile is fairly dynamic. I want to see the rear in person, because from the rear 3/4 angle it looks kinda droopy, but that isn't a tacked-on spoiler...so I gotta see how it all comes together in person. The large CHMSL looks good, though I want to ensure the whole thing lights up and not just a thin strip surrounded by acres of red surround.

Exterior: B+

Interior: D

Overall: C-

"This is what we've been waiting for? Half-baked would be a compliment."

Gaaawd I hate those FWD proportions. <_<

The other thing that gets me is that the front looks so Buick...like how is the Lacrosse front end going to look much different?

Well, you guys bawled and moaned until you got an "integrated" radio. Now you got it, and it's just as brainlessly complicated looking as any freaking Honda.

It does look small, but that's ok as long as it gains interior space over the current car. Overall, it's not as ugly as I'd feared, but it is not exciting at all.

wonderful interior

pretty nice exterior but a tish bland.

classy car, clean, nice interior. hope it does well here.

This will be the most competent midsize sedan in GM's stable when it arrives. Why all the complaints?

I just had to chuckle when I first saw the nose: so much hate that has been displayed on this site for Camry, and here we have the next Aura with a very familiar setup. you know, there are similarities, but it's not exact, but the similarities overall will remind many of the Camry, the lines and bulging details in the hood and grille, the way the fascia juts out, the exact positioning of the one headlamp that acts as the eye, of course the shape of the grille. but you'll find no hate from me, I think it's attractive on the Camry, and this goes quite a few steps farther. Of course, it will be left to be seen what the American team manages for execution in the lower levels of trim, and if we'll even see this level of execution at all, or this upper trim model.

there's also a case of the G35 hot-ness in the stance, sculpting, and greenhouse design.

this is a tremendous update! it's more elegant, more refined, classier, more detail-specific, more in vogue than the current Aura. The surfacing, shapes, and lines are all more up to date than the Aura is.

Is this exactly what we'll get? it should be.

the interior execution is fantastic.

it's more upscale than the malibu, camry, and matches what the accord does in upper trim levels, though overall it's more attractive and sportier than that car. the opel interior blows away any interior in the midsize segment, though this is obviously what our most expensive aura would look like.

Edited by turbo200

Major letdown.

The current Aura is much, much, better looking.

This really looks like a Toyota.

Yuck!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room