Toyota.vs.GM

W-Body to live into 2012?

229 posts in this topic

[sarcasm directed at 68]Unibody B-pillars and FWD for everyone[/sarcasm directed at 68]

whatever, having spent a lot of time in a 3.5L impala, and a lot of time in a new 4 cyl camry (both rentals) i can honestly say that the w body impala is a great car. it's nothing special, but for what it is, it's excellent. and most people that i've met who've spent a lot of time in both of the above mentioned cars are always surprised that they liked the impala so much.

i don't know if a lot of people who trash w bodies do it for any other reason than they would like to see something new. it's no rear drive small block (i've got an '85 monte ss, and my bro has a '95 impala ss, both sweet cars), but it's making money for GM, it's a good car. period. and that flip and fold rear seat has saved my ass a couple of times i needed to either haul stuff or go an rent a truck or van.

Edited by rambaran

whatever, having spent a lot of time in a 3.5L impala, and a lot of time in a new 4 cyl camry (both rentals) i can honestly say that the w body impala is a great car. it's nothing special, but for what it is, it's excellent. and most people that i've met who've spent a lot of time in both of the above mentioned cars are always surprised that they liked the impala so much.

i don't know if a lot of people who trash w bodies do it for any other reason than they would like to see something new. it's no rear drive small block (i've got an '85 monte ss, and my bro has a '95 impala ss, both sweet cars), but it's making money for GM, it's a good car. period. and that flip and fold rear seat has saved my ass a couple of times i needed to either haul stuff or go an rent a truck or van.

+1

The Impy holds its own against the competition. It is the Uplander and Cobalt that are falling behind.

Isn't the Impala showing an increase in retail sales lately?Why kill it? It's not like it's hurting Chevy's image. Give it another MCE and let it keep selling I guess.

Given all of the circumstances involved, I can see the logic behind this decision.

But ugh!, this car hanging-on into 2012 just seems absurd.

Given all of the circumstances involved, I can see the logic behind this decision.

But ugh!, this car hanging-on into 2012 just seems absurd.

Maybe GM saw that Ford kept the Crown Vic around for over 10 years with few changes and figured they could do the same. Isn't the Impala mostly fleet anyway? Fleets don't care that it has a 4spd auto and pushrod V6. The Malibu is their main consumer midsize now..

Maybe GM saw that Ford kept the Crown Vic around for over 10 years with few changes and figured they could do the same. Isn't the Impala mostly fleet anyway? Fleets don't care that it has a 4spd auto and pushrod V6. The Malibu is their main consumer midsize now..

Well:

-the car is still selling well, both retail and fleet

-the tooling is long ago paid for

-this pacifies the CAW

-CAFE concerns limit other options at this moment

I see this move as GM buying itself some time to adjust to new realities. The only major downside from a business standpoint is the effect this coud have on the Malibu. That and the perpetuation of a nearly antique platform in the Chevy lineup with the attendant criticism and bad PR it engenders.

The silver lining is that this helps to keep Oshawa viable and the promise of another car built on the Camaro line is a huge positive in my book.

Why doesn't GM update the Impala and change the platform name at the same time?

Toyota gets away with calling the Camry "all new" even though they've really just been heavily modifying the same platform for years now. It's the same thing at Toyota except they update the version numbers.

A substantial MCE is necessary if this thing is sticking around until 2012.

as much as i hate the W body, since the tooling is already paid for, any sale is extra cash in the bank

any chance a 6speed will be produced for it then?

i just told my uncle impalas were going to be around for several more years...at the notion the malibu is to small for him and my dad evidently.

if this is true......a completely new interior is needed NOW and 6 speed trannies too. the other thing that is needed, the 3.6 as a mid level option.

other than that, a new grille.....the rear of the impala is nice the way it is.

Yeah, but knowing GM, it probably won't have any changes between now and then (since there was a substantial MCE for '06).

Yeah, but knowing GM, it probably won't have any changes between now and then (since there was a substantial MCE for '06).

Ugh.....we'll be left with the same nasty proportions, front- and-rear overhangs, huge trunk, but confining back seat room, pushrods, 4-speeds. and a wonderful rental-queen image....I bet they'll even leave the bench seat and column shifter in it.....

Even though the Malibu has grown, it still doesn't feel particularly roomy inside. It's narrow for its class, the beltline is high, the A-pillar is huge... the Impala feels airy in comparison, and that might explain the existence of the car??

Give it the SAIC LaX's hybrid powertrain, and you could have the ultimate traveling salesperson's fleet car... good gas mileage, roomy front seats, useless rear seats, and gigantic trunk.

Give it the SAIC LaX's hybrid powertrain, and you could have the ultimate traveling salesperson's fleet car... good gas mileage, roomy front seats, useless rear seats, and gigantic trunk.

:booyah:

Sounds great to me.....! <sarcasm dripping>

I guess that's why slightly-used, 2- to 3-year old Taurus' are such sought-after and valuable automobiles......

Impala has years of substandard legacy going against camry, and with this move it appears this tradition will continue. they needed a break from the past, something that reinvigorated the name and brought back a focus on the core tenants of what an upscale family sedan should be. as everyone has stated in the past impala doesn't do the basic family thing very well thanks to uncommodious rear seat and proportions that lend themselves to space efficiency in all the wrong places. then it doesn't do the upscale family mobile thing very well thanks to a complete lack of desirability in design and some quality defficiencies. then it has a coarse, loud engine that doesn't move like the imports do along with a lack of a real sophisticated fuel efficient option for the masses. then there's the issue of it not being a practical choice at all because all these things add up to awful resale value. then you may or may not be able to correct a ride/handling defficiency. all of these faults go back, and stand with prior generations of impala and lumina. in short, GM has been playing at the back of the pack for a long time now.

and nothing changes...

Ugh.....we'll be left with the same nasty proportions, front- and-rear overhangs, huge trunk, but confining back seat room, pushrods, 4-speeds. and a wonderful rental-queen image....I bet they'll even leave the bench seat and column shifter in it.....

Yes, I wouldn't expect any more.... they aren't going to want to spend any money on an obsolete platform with an obsolete engine and transmission...

Isn't the Impala showing an increase in retail sales lately?Why kill it? It's not like it's hurting Chevy's image. Give it another MCE and let it keep selling I guess.

+1

Chris

Well, there is realistic room for improvement that would keep the Impala somewhat competitive and positioned above Malibu.

Here's what I could see happening: The quality upgrades that the W-platform LaCrosse enjoys trickle over into an MCE Impala: much improved interior materials, MRC to improve ride & handling, maybe add Navigation, memory seats, standard automatic dual-zone climate control, ambient lighting, LED instrumentation, power rear window sunscreen...

Styling could also be tweaked (a lot) to help keep it fresh and more inline with Chevrolet's progressive styling.

----------------

Which plant produces the 4-sp auto used by the W-platform. Do we know anything about how long the transmission is planned for production?

Which plant produces the 4-sp auto used by the W-platform. Do we know anything about how long the transmission is planned for production?

Isn't that the one that was announced recently as shutting down in '10 or so? Even if they shut down the plant before the W ends, they will probably stockpile a bunch.

One would hope that in 2010 they give it a fairly decent MCE. It was new for 2006... so I would say after 3 model years, if they're going to keep it around another 3 model years, it would need an update.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor