SEMA Solstice Weekend Racer Concept

Guest Josh

Pontiac ’s exciting new 2006 Solstice roadster is an exhilarating performance vehicle with the DNA of a pure sports car. A car this athletic is a natural candidate for the weekend amateur racer.

GM Performance Division built the Solstice Weekend Club Racer concept to showcase how a racing version of the car might be configured. This aggressive package would allow Solstice owners to compete in amateur track events with a minimum of upgrades. By competing in sanctioned, off-highway amateur events, Solstice owners can enjoy spirited driving in a safe environment – and the special components of the Weekend Club Racer concept would let them experience the car’s maximum performance.

The most noticeable changes are external, starting with a removable hard top. The concept top makes a bold styling statement and transforms the Solstice into an enclosed car, which is what many amateur and professional racing classes demand.

A new larger rear wing dominates the view most competitors will see – the tail of the Solstice. Front and rear fascias were modified, and new rocker panels, complete with molded-in rear brake cooling ducts, were fabricated. An air extractor-style hood helps keep the engine compartment cool. Aggressive five-spoke, 18-inch alloy wheels and matching tires – Goodyear Eagle F1 255/45ZR18’s – aid both performance and eye appeal. The whole package sports a custom bronze paint job.

Some interior upgrades were made in keeping with the car’s performance nature. The execution of the interior trim and colors reflects a race-inspired, Ebony Suede theme, including the IP top pad, center console and door panel inserts. Also complementing the Ebony Suede appointments is a carbon fiber trim bezel that surrounds the gauges and wraps around the center console. Sparco racing seats were recovered to match the Solstice upholstery, and the underside of the new hard top was trimmed to match the rest of the interior.

Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine rated at 325 horsepower (242 kw). A cat-back performance exhaust system enhances engine performance and provides a sporty exhaust note. A T-2 race suspension package was added, along with larger diameter disc brakes.

Vehicle Highlights

Removable hard top
18-inch aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 255/45ZR18 tires
Large-diameter performance brakes
2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder engine rated at 325 hp (242 kw)
T-2 race suspension
Modified front and rear fascias
Large rear decklid wing
Air extractor hood
Custom rocker panels
Sparco racing seats
Cat-back exhaust system with custom chrome tips
Custom bronze paint

Posted Image

GM will showcase a race-inspired concept of the critically-acclaimed Pontiac Solstice, complete with removable hard top, at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas on Nov. 1-4. Dubbed the Weekend Club Racer, this concept built by GM Performance Division shows how a racing version

That engine I believe is the same one going in the Solstice GXP. 325hp? Who the funk needs a V8??

First two words out of my mouth: Holy f**k!

[post="33952"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's exactly waht I was about to post...

This thing is freekn awsome. To quote the nerd fomr F&F: "This will decimate all!" :)

Looking into a perspective on things from this concept that will likely make it to production in some form:
-The front facia is HOT.. can't wait for the GT, GTP or GXP model (wich ever one it's going to be on)
-The hard top looks alkward to me for some reason.. it looks a bit bublely (granted that gives more head room, it just doesn't flow with the rest of the car)
-Wheels, Very HOT

Looking at some things that I see will probly won't make it to production:

LS7 with Vortec supercharger (over 700 whp)
6-speed transmission

:metal: :bowdown:
GM.. Why do you torment us showing the ultimate powertrain in this with no intention to produce it?!!! <_<

A few notes about the fixed roof. When GM went ahead with the plans for a fixed roof Solstice, they did so with the roof being "racer friendly." Meaning, easier to get in and out of with a helmet on. That's the reason it looks the way it does. It's extremly easy to get in and out of with a helmet on for those "on the fly" changes in drivers, etc.

So this roof likely is a preview or exact rendition of what we will see in production? The rest of the treatment, I no likey....too too much for this classy roadster. However!......LS7!!? Is this a tease, or are they finally admitting they were able to feasibly do it?

So this roof likely is a preview or exact rendition of what we will see in production? The rest of the treatment, I no likey....too too much for this classy roadster. However!......LS7!!? Is this a tease, or are they finally admitting they were able to feasibly do it?

[post="34020"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think the roof will be a dealer option. Like the hardtop Miata.

I was hoping for the full hardtop, as in the orginal concept. I don't like the removable hardtop, it looks too much like the Miata. I hate the wing, and the color is too brassy. They should have left the arrowhead in the side vent. The hood vents look like Viper, yes, but they also resemble McLaren (sp?) Turbo GP.

The Ecotec is capable of making plenty of power, and even all-aluminum, I bet the V8 is nose-heavy... not good for neutral handling, imo.

The rest is fine.
Edited by ocnblu

I was hoping for the full hardtop, as in the orginal concept.  I don't like the removable hardtop, it looks too much like the Miata.  I hate the wing, and the color is too brassy.  They should have left the arrowhead in the side vent.  The hood vents look like Viper, yes, but they also resemble McLaren (sp?) Turbo GP.

The Ecotec is capable of making plenty of power, and even all-aluminum, I bet the V8 is nose-heavy... not good for neutral handling, imo.

The rest is fine.

[post="34117"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the rest... you mean the door handles and side view mirror?

Could this be a preview of the Blue Devil motor???? The front is nice, no doubt a preview of the tuner Solstice, the hood vents look a little cheesy to me and the arrow head should've been left on the fender. The wheels STILL look too small (Definately don't look like 19 inchers) and are too chunky/plain. The side skirt looks like it came out of JC Whitney. The top would look a lot better if it didn't overlap the side windows so much and the window frame should've been left silver/chrome IMO. The wing just needs to go. I hope it looks better in other pictures and maybe I'll warm up to it. Especially knowing that this is the same terrible GM PR gray photography.

MY how RIGHT you are FOG!  http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="34284"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

700 Whp? How detuned will the production version be? Do you know if GM will get over the 700 mark? Or will it be closer to the 650 that seems to be coming out alot lately? I really hope its over 700, not that 650 is anything to be embarrassed about though.

This once again proves that General Motors just doesn't get it!

The Solstice has such positive press and looks so great and now they roll this hideously ugly POS out to tarnish the Solstice before sales even take off.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

[post="34397"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

First off I don't think anything with the Solstice name on it is a POS. Next its not hideous. Its a thing of beauty. I do agree the color is wrong for this tuner, but overall its gorgeous.

Of course this is my opinion.

This once again proves that General Motors just doesn't get it!

The Solstice has such positive press and looks so great and now they roll this hideously ugly POS out to tarnish the Solstice before sales even take off.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

[post="34397"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude. Chill out. It's just a SEMA concept. Which means, Pontiac designers had little to do with it. They probably got an design studio like WCC to take car of it. Remember the HHR concept? Same thing So, it will probably never see the light of day.
Besides, you know there were people out there that were actually going to do this to the car. GM brought it out first to help support their aftermarket add on sales.

The add on body part are not as tacked on as some of you think they are. They looked well engineered and more importantly FUNCTIONAL!! It needs the extra cooling and the extra downforce. The roof looks to be removeable. Change the color or look at more pictures before calling it a POS.

Compare the front facia of this:

Posted Image

to this:

Posted Image

That's the GXP nose with a deeper grill.

Agreed with those that say the side sills and spoiler is a bit much. I think, however, those have as much chance of seeing production as did the add-on bits on the SEMA Aveo from last year.

-RBB

This top shows the biggest design flaw of the Solstice, the trunk. Now with the hard top on, those that live in the NE that would buy the top aftermarket for the winter have a completely useless trunk. I wondered why GM designed the Solstice top/boot/trunk like they did. Did they think it looked cool that it was an opposite clamshell like the hood? This design makes the Miata superior when it comes to living with the car everyday. The Miata allows the driver to drop the top without getting out of the car (and if you think this isn't a big deal, try living with a convertible like me for 8 years. The convience of the power top on my Camaro (especially since I was able to disable the "only works in PARK" device) allows those quick top-ups when it starts to suddenly rain waiting at a red light or rolling slowly in traffic. If I had to get out of the car each time I needed to put the top up/down I would use the top a lot less) and the fact the Miata has a useable trunk makes it a much more useable (but not as attractive) everyday car. I watched a Solstice owner use the top, and it is easy, but to access the trunk with the top up, you have to detach the two buttresses, push the top back and then open the trunk. Poor, poor design to get to a storage space that could barely hold three bags of groceries. Try doing that in a downpour. I love the Solstice, but this poor execution makes me think more than twice with replacing my Z28 Convertible (that I use as an everyday car to get me back a forth to work 60 miles a day) with one. Since the interior space is pretty small, if I had to bring my laptop to work, I would most likely want to put it in the trunk, but with the Solstice steps, that might not be practicle. Just some random bitching about an otherwise awsome vehicle. And the SEMA car looks great for what purpose it was designed for.

that's not an LS7, nobody could fit an LS7 in that car.

[post="34545"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LS7 has the same external dimensions as the LS2, LS4 and every OHV V8 Gm has made since 2000. It WILL fit. But the question is what was done to make kappa stand up to the abuse of the big V8?

LS7 has the same external dimensions as the LS2, LS4 and every OHV V8 Gm has made since 2000.  It WILL fit.  But the question is what was done to make kappa stand up to the abuse of the big V8?

[post="34572"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i dunno... the LS2 and LS4 won't fit either. not according to some vehement folks here anyway. i thought differently, but hey.

i'm sure it's all very beefy chassis and suspension mods.

i dunno... the LS2 and LS4 won't fit either.  not according to some vehement folks here anyway.  i thought differently, but hey.

i'm sure it's all very beefy chassis and suspension mods.

[post="34617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't tell that to Chuck Mallett, I'm pretty sure he ignored those rumors when he decided the LS2 WILL FIT in the Kappa cars (see http://mallettcars.com )

I like everything about this SEMA concept except for the:
Color
Wing
Z3/Viper vents on the fenders
I can take or leave the side skirts and hard-top

Hmm, seems I like it best near-stock.

I don't know if this really has a V8 but it will fit the Kappa per Fbodfather and Mallet. If some backyard guys can put a SBC, Northstar or a BBC in a Fiero I am sure GM can figure out how to put a V8 in a Kappa The question is would Chevy really let Pontiac use the 700 HP engine in one of their concepts before they show it in the Vette? Besides Pontiac over the last few years has used SEMA to preview SPO parts and future products with some styling upgrades like the Autocross series. I may be wrong but I think this gold car may be closer to a GXP Turbo Ecotech for 07 with a lot of bling and some tuning on the engine than anything else? It is just a preview of some of what is coming. I think your V8 car is going to be the white with blue striped Solstice from Stainless Steel Brakes corp. They have done show cars in the past that are over the top and use help from GM. We had their Colorado Pick up they did at work and is was one sweet ride. I can only imagine what they will do to the Solstice. The drawing look like a Cobra. Anyone notice the rocker on the gold Solstice is similar to the mock up on the G6 shown else where. It did not have the cooling duct but did have a similar kick up. Just have to wait and see. Edited by hyperv6

I dont it. I think it might be the color, or the body kit... or maybe it's both... anywho, I have convinced my dad to get this car, and he's gonna get it, but he want's to paint it that copper orange color that the 350Z come's in... so I'm looking at this car... and I'm gonna do everything in my power to make sure he doesn't.

Supercharged LS7 is so unlikley in a Solstice unless they do a hand full for a racing series. Chevy would never allow the Solstice to upstage the Vette. The Vette people frove the last nail in the Fiero's coffin to finally kill it when they were going to get over 200 HP. Your going to see 250HP in a turbo Eco and it will grow to 300+ in time. There is no point in a V8 in this car as it defeats the idea of keeping cost down insurance in a afforddable range ETC... Now that is not to say Opel might offer something in Europe with a V8?

The 4 cyl is the only thing keeping me from going to buy a Solstice right now. I can buy a used Vette with low miles for $18,000, with 350hp great sounding V8. For $2,000 more I can get a Solstice with a 177hp 4cyl that will sound like rice. I'll take the Vette. A V8 Solstice or Sky would change my decision in a heartbeat.

Yes, but that's not the Solstice's purpose. It'd be cool, no doubt, but it can't be everything for everybody. Just like alot of other past/present Pontiacs. So, I hate to say this, but too bad, bitch! :P :D

BTW, how much do you think a V8 powered Solstice would cost? First you got to consider the engine itself, then the modifications for it to fit since Kappa really wasn't designed for one, and other componants to handle the power. And after all this... you have an expensive and nose-heavy beast. Still appealling to somebody, but tons more sales and profit will be found by sticking to 4cyls... Edited by blackviper8891