Pebble Beach: 2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon debuts

For release: Aug. 15, 2008, 12:01 a.m. EDT

CTS Sport Wagon: Cadillac’s Renaissance Takes A New Form

Dramatically Designed Alternative to Larger Vehicles Makes Debut at Pebble Beach

cts_wagon_01.jpg

cts_wagon_02.jpg

cts_wagon_03.jpg

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – Amidst the beauty and history of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, Cadillac treats car enthusiasts to a world premiere of its latest production-car design. The 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon makes its debut this weekend on the Monterey Peninsula, showcasing a dramatic design that elevates and updates the classic wagon body style.

Not unlike many historic Cadillac designs, the new CTS Sport Wagon is an unmistakable and dynamic presence. The car’s intricately cut rear profile injects fashion-forward design into the formerly utilitarian world of wagons. Cadillac’s upcoming wagon offers ample interior space and includes a range of six-cylinder engine choices, making it a compelling alternative to larger utility vehicles.

Based on the hot-selling CTS sport sedan, and a sister vehicle to the CTS Coupe Concept, the Sport Wagon extends the design-driven renaissance of Cadillac. Following this special premiere at Pebble Beach, the CTS Sport Wagon moves to the worldwide auto show circuit this fall – and into Cadillac dealerships in spring 2009.

“The addition of this dramatically-designed Sport Wagon is well synchronized with today’s changing consumer tastes as a compelling alternative to SUVs or other larger vehicles,” says Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “This is an important step in Cadillac’s ongoing global expansion, and of course in international markets like Europe, wagons have been and continue to be very significant.”

A striking profile is created with the CTS wagon, with a silhouette that suggests speed and aerodynamic efficiency. It rides on the same 113.4-inch (2,880-mm) wheelbase as the CTS sport sedan and is 0.3-inch (7 mm) shorter. However, it offers a generous cargo area of 25 cubic feet (720 liters) behind the rear seats. Design highlights include:

• Signature V-shaped deck and tailgate motif

• Large, vertical taillamps with light-pipe technology

• Power-opening liftgate (via key fob or in-vehicle button)

• CHMSL integrated in subtle roof spoiler

• Integrated roof load management system with cross bars for a seamless appearance

• Cargo management system with adjustable in-floor containment

• New 19-inch wheels

• Larger available panoramic rear sunroof

The CTS Sport Wagon, like its sedan predecessor, includes available features such as all-wheel drive, a 40-gigabyte internal hard drive, pop-up navigation screen and a hand-cut-and-sewn interior with Sapele wood accents.

“The CTS Sport Wagon is an important expansion to the Cadillac lineup worldwide,” said Taylor.

Design details

Dramatic planes highlight the CTS wagon’s design, including a V-shaped motif carried throughout the vehicle and carefully integrated intersections of exterior surfaces. The elements coalesce in a dramatic fashion, creating tension that emphasizes the vehicle’s performance.

“It’s a taut design that not only suggests sleekness, but delivers it,” said Clay Dean, global design director for Cadillac. “Indeed, the drama of the sedan is amplified in the CTS Sport Wagon, as the centerline cue that is part of the exterior and interior is more prominent and plays a stronger role in defining the design at the rear of the vehicle.”

The emotion of the CTS Sport Wagon’s design is carried by a number of nuanced details. The liftgate area, for example, is a confluence of angles and planes that typifies the vehicle’s design tension. Cadillac’s “V” motif is most prominent here, culminating in a spine at the center of the liftgate that is accented with a subtle spoiler at the top of the backlight. The rear quarter panels extend slightly beyond the inward-angled planes of the V, creating a distinctive W shape at the rear of the vehicle. Large, prominent vertical taillamps – with Cadillac’s signature light pipe technology – are the final, dramatic touches to the rear-end styling.

“The more you study the rear of the CTS Sport Wagon, the more you see,” said Dean. “Functionality was certainly a guiding factor during development, but so was the idea to inject emotion into the normally sedate wagon category.”

One of the more interesting integrations of form and function is found in the seamless roof load management system. Rather than stylized stanchions, brackets and cross bars that protrude above the roof line, the CTS Sport Wagon’s system blends with the roofline, maintaining an uninterrupted appearance. The center section of the roof panel angles downward inside the roof edges, allowing an unobtrusive placement of the cross bars – and creating a subtle fin effect at the trailing edges of the rear panels.

“They’re not fins in the classic sense, but they work to help disguise the cargo load system and, yes, they acknowledge Cadillac’s design heritage,” said Dean.

The interior of the Sport Wagon is common with the much-acclaimed sport sedan, including streamlined instrumentation, LED lighting and hand-cut-and-sewn accents with French stitching.

Powertrains

Direct injection technology helps the CTS offer more power while maintaining fuel economy and lowering emissions. It delivers fuel more precisely to increase the efficiency of combustion. This means less fuel is consumed and lower emissions created.

With the CTS Sport Wagon’s 3.6L V-6, direct injection translates to 304 horsepower (227 kW)*, no loss of fuel efficiency and a 25-percent drop in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions. It also runs on less expensive regular unleaded gasoline. The Sport Wagon’s fuel economy is expected to be similar to the peak rating of the existing sport sedan’s 26 mpg highway rating. The standard 3.6L VVT engine that produces 263 horsepower (196 kW) and 253 lb.-ft. of torque (343 Nm) serves as the base engine in North America.

Just like the CTS sport sedan, the V-6 engines are matched with fuel-saving six-speed transmissions, including an Aisin six-speed manual or an electronically controlled Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic. As is the case on the sport sedan, CTS Sport Wagon includes AWD as an option.

An efficient 2.9L turbo-diesel engine is being developed for CTS models primarily in European and Asian markets. It is a compact, dual overhead cam, four-valve V-6 engine from GM’s family of diesel engines that delivers optimal fuel economy as well as reduced emissions and noise. The engine is rated at 184 kW (250 hp).

Driving dynamics

The robust and dynamic CTS chassis infuses the new wagon with a great balance of performance and luxury. It uses an independent short/long arm ( SLA) front suspension system and a multi-link rear suspension.

The multi-link rear suspension features a fully isolated subframe that helps deliver excellent suspension kinematics, contributing to a superior ride and excellent handling.

Advanced chassis technology in the form of Cadillac’s StabiliTrak electronic chassis control system integrates the car’s standard four-channel ABS with the full-function traction control, hydraulic brake assist and engine drag control systems to deliver a safer, more confident driving experience. Additional chassis details include a structure-enhancing tower-to-tower brace under the hood; large, four-wheel disc brakes and premium steering.

# # #

cts_wagon_04.jpg

cts_wagon_05.jpg

cts_wagon_06.jpg

cts_wagon_07.jpg

cts_wagon_08.jpg

cts_wagon_09.jpg

cts_wagon_10.jpg

cts_wagon_11.jpg

Hidden roof rack AND an available 6-speed manual trans. Nice job Cadillac. Bring on the V!

i'll poop my pants if we actually get the manual here in the US!

the sculpting of this car is awesome.

folks, now you know why the G8 wagon won't be here.

it also explains why the SRX was turned into a chick crossover. the CTS wagon will be for the real drivers.

kudos to caddy. put awd in it if you can. this thing rocks.

by the way, we all should be showing some love for this clay dean guy. first the malibu.....now this.......way better than the Wayne Cherry years.....Welburn and Nesbitt and Dean and Simcoe, GM still has their game on styling if they are allowed to.

the panaramic sunroof in this will rock too

Edited by regfootball

REAL NOICE!

/Bernie Mac -_-

One thing though... it's a wagon, so what's with the pass-through in the back seat?

So you can put stuff in the hatch area with the cover on and the seat up... good for skis or a golf bag, I think..

I love it... just wish the rear windows were

a bit bigger, this would also reduce the

bulk of those chunky C-pillars.

This will be my personal car when I replace the Grand Prix GXP.

Why not some FWD euro-box?

Yup.... this makes the (new & new only) SRX look like a Hyundai Santa Fe.

The CTS Sports Wagon will have obvious comparisons to the BMW 535xi and the Mercedes E350 in this country. Both have 6 speed manuals or automatics to choose from. Both cars are the same size and going after much of the same market. But the BMW is available in AWD only while the Caddy allows you to choose AWD or RWD. The CTS also gives you two engine choices, matching the BMW at 300 HP at the top end. But the BMW starts at $54K (!!!). The Mercedes is only available in AWD as well (in non AMG form) and has only one engine, matching the CTS entry level engine for horsepower. It does come with a third row of seating, much like the Vista-cruisers of old. It's price is a eye popping $56K before options.

As much as a CTS-V Sport Wagon would be extremely cool, I think we're lucky that GM green-lighted this car in the first place. Considering we're getting the coupe too and likely a V-series coupe, we should all count our blessings. :) The only way we're getting a V-series wagon is if GM thought they could sell at least 400 copies a year, and that's a tiny run of vehicles for the General. Maybe somebody can make the business case for it, but I'm not holding my breath. BMW doesn't even import the M5 wagon anymore. Only Mercedes offers the E63 AMG in this space. At least we get all the features of the existing sedan, including the DI engine, 6 speed manuals (!!!) and brand new 19" wheels.

Having said that, I'm sure that someone has a Sport Wagon with the Corvette engine somewhere in GM just to see if anyone's interested...

Edited by Sevenfeet

If I was Caddy marketing executive, I shall strongly market the wagon as an alternative to CUVs, SUVs, BUVs, ZUVs, or whatever the hell they call those things.

Good job Caddy. Glad that they kept the Manual transmissions and the engines. When is the 2.8DI replacing the non-DI 3.6?

what a hot ride. what's missing are a bigger engine lineup including smaller displacement V6, duo turbo V6, hybrid dual mode, diesel. this is Cadillac's 5-series, their mainstay. the coupe will complete an awesome lineup. update the rear on the sedan for something less retro, upgrade certain materials on the inside, and you have near perfect mainstream luxury line. Add a top end sedan/coupe, entry level sports sedan/coupe, and you'd have a great lineup. now what's left is to fix that damn SRX.

Edited by turbo200

Wow... it's a DAMN shame this wasn't out just a few years ago. I know someone who would have bought this in a second--instead, she has a C240 Wagon in red.

This reminds me of GMs glory years in car design. It has that look. I can see this car in the driveways of very upscale neighborhoods.

I probably would never buy a conventional wagon, but this has a look of a hot hatch so I would buy this. The more I look at it, the more I'm luving it.

Edited by HarleyEarl

This is one gorgeous wagon. It is certainly more brand appropriate for Cadillac than the new second gen SRX. I would rather see Cadillac build their portfolio by expanding their car lines (such as adding coupe and wagon versions to the CTS line) than sliding FWD crossovers into their lineup. After Cadillac gets the CTS wagon and coupe up and running in the market, they should then turn their attention to diligently developing the compact car line (sedan, wagon, and coupe) on the RWD Alpha platform. I think getting these expanded car lines to market will truly help Cadillac make more of an impact on the luxury vehicle market.

This is one gorgeous wagon. It is certainly more brand appropriate for Cadillac than the new second gen SRX. I would rather see Cadillac build their portfolio by expanding their car lines (such as adding coupe and wagon versions to the CTS line) than sliding FWD crossovers into their lineup. After Cadillac gets the CTS wagon and coupe up and running in the market, they should then turn their attention to diligently developing the compact car line (sedan, wagon, and coupe) on the RWD Alpha platform. I think getting these expanded car lines to market will truly help Cadillac make more of an impact on the luxury vehicle market.

Agreed. If Cadillac had already established good car lines first it would have made it much easier for the SRX to succeed in the market. GM should have dumped all the money from the SRX into the STS, and made it best-in-class instead of near the bottom. They would have a lot more credibility that way and could have intro'd an SRX later on. It wouldn't have made much difference in sales if they didn't have the SRX and the STS could actually compete in the market, since both of them were duds.

Agreed. If Cadillac had already established good car lines first it would have made it much easier for the SRX to succeed in the market. GM should have dumped all the money from the SRX into the STS, and made it best-in-class instead of near the bottom. They would have a lot more credibility that way and could have intro'd an SRX later on. It wouldn't have made much difference in sales if they didn't have the SRX and the STS could actually compete in the market, since both of them were duds.

I totally agree. A well executed STS would have helped Cadillac reestablish their luxury cred much more than the SRX. Sometimes it is better to pick your battles and establish your priorities than to introduce multiple halfbaked products that fail to do the job.

The idea of a CTS wagon is great, but I feel mixed about the design. Using the sedan's rear doors results in a messy C-pillar and makes the design look compromised. The D-pillar is overly thick. However, the size of the cargo area does seem to be a bit larger than expected.